• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

jett

D-Member
Really? I can completely understand that the guy would feel rubbed a little the wrong way considering the time he's given to the series. Kojima didn't have to include him, that's the creators decision, but I'd at least talk to Hayter about the reasoning.

"Hey Hayter, you fucking blow."

I think it's best to not tell the guy anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just from that trailer, it definitely seems like they've taken their voice performance game to another level compared to past games. Maybe they just didn't feel Hayter would work for their new style?

"Hey Hayter, you fucking blow."

I think it's best to not tell the guy anything.

So negative.

"Hey Hayter, you've played an important part in the series but the character of Big Boss is getting older and we need a new voice to separate him from Solid Snake."

I think changing up the voice work is needed in this franchise. It's a good decision but they shouldn't burn bridges with Hayter. Honestly, I don't think they have. Hayter is probably keeping something quiet.

kuroshiki

So they haven't asked Hayter, yet the japanese version has the original voice actor?

Whoa bro.

Japanese voice actor of Snake is Ootuka Akio. He started his voice acting (nothing but voice acting) since 1988. He is one of the BEST voice actors in Japan, period.

Is hayter one of the best voice actors in America? I don't think so.

So let's not compare the two.

Raynes

Hayter never had a place in any Metal gear plot. Snake, however, did. And Hayter has played every Snake except for Old Big Boss at the end of MGS4. I think he has a right to be a little salty.

Don't get too caught up over semantics. And no he doesn't, it's Kojima's game and he should be thankful he let his declining performance be the voice of so many games. He is being an immature brat whining about it as though he knows better than Hideo.

Audioboxer

I don't buy they wouldn't at least tell Hayter he's not on board. Kojima wouldn't simply ignore him. Don't believe the lies.

He's voicing a young Solid Snake, simply not doing Boss any more.

Salaadin

I see people asking Keighly to ask Kojima about this for the interview. Hopefully he does and we can get a solid answer

lol, don't get me wrong it's Metal Gear Solid Five, I just think there's a reason they're using a numeral instead of an actual number.
Millions are spent on marketing games and with the pantomime Kojima has put on for the last year over unveiling this game there just has to be a reason they're not calling it MGS5.
hell, maybe it's coz he originally wanted Peace Walker to be MGS5 and this way that's not completely lost. Kojima strikes me as the kind of guy who would do that.

jett

D-Member
So negative.

"Hey Hayter, you've played an important part in the series but the character of Big Boss is getting older and we need a new voice to separate him from Solid Snake."

Japanese voice actor hasn't changed. And FFS he played an 80 year-old Snake in MGS4.

No, the fact is Hayter sucks and that's why he wasn't asked back.

Sephzilla

Whoa bro.

Japanese voice actor of Snake is Ootuka Akio. He started his voice acting (nothing but voice acting) since 1988. He is one of the BEST voice actors in Japan, period.

Is hayter one of the best voice actors in America? I don't think so.

So let's not compare the two.

Nobody is. But you'd imagine if they'd change up Snake's VA they'd make it a more unilateral change across versions.

UrbanRats

If you want to drop Hayter, drop Snake too.

You can have a Metal Gear without a Snake in it, afterall.

Having a Snake without Hayter's voice is gross.

Japanese voice actor hasn't changed. And FFS he played an 80 year-old Snake in MGS4.

Yet they kept Raiden's abysmal voice actor for Rising?

Angry Fork

One of the worst voice actors in the industry, it's no wonder he never worked in another franchise. MGS1 was the last/only time he put in some effort.

I'm extremely glad he's gone.

Does not matter if he's good on a dramatic level, his voice is all that matters. Snake has never been convincing, his voice is comical and over the top, that's the entire point.

Good. Dude became a caricature of himself by the end with his hammy grizzled voice acting.

For OLD snake...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

So did they get someone else to do Big Boss in MGS4 for the Japanese version?

As much as I love Hayter as Snake, I'd really enjoy to see (or rather hear) Richard Doyle finally under the spotlight.

I trust KojiPro know what they're doing.

kuroshiki

Nobody is. But you'd imagine if they'd change up Snake's VA they'd make it a more unilateral change across versions.

They don't have to if one single voice actor's performance nose dived every new version. I have no ill feeling toward hayter personally. But he is just a bad voice actor now.

NeoUltima

Posted in other thread but, the transition away from Hayter was inevitable. Can't have Hayter talking to himself when Solid/Big Boss meet. i.e.
MGS4 Epilogue
I do not think it was any sleight against Hayter. They just do not need him for this game...unless he wants to voice a 10 year old Solid.

edit:
The Japanese voice actor is the same, the GZ trailer had Akio Ōtsuka as Snake, he's always been Snake.

In light of this, nevermind. Guess they just don't want him anymore lol.

MrOddbird

Neo Member
Ummm.... Big Boss in the demo footage does not sound like Richard Doyle.

Could it be that instead of Hayter being the voice of Big Boss, he is given the secret task to voice Solid Snake? Now although Snake is pretty young even after the nine year coma, perhaps the storyline jumps ahead to the point, where we can see him as a young adult.

I mean, yeah Richard Doyle did voice Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 4 and I think people associate Hayter's voice with Snake.

Besides, wouldn't it be really weird if we had both Solid Snake and Big Boss in the same scene, talking in the exact same voice?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I've always enjoyed Hayter as Snake, but he would have ruined this game. His voice is a comical gravel, not the kind of serious fucking business gravel that someone like Sutherland or Doyle can bring to Big Boss' later years and PTSD episodes. No "gggrrggrgrgrgr whaaaat get in the box, HUH" here.

He's also being a totally unprofessional d-bag by Twitter warring this shit on announcement day.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see them not even asking David after all these years of playing the character. Either that's not Big Boss/Snake or there's something else going on in the story that explains why his voice is different. Can't just be a new casting.

Sephzilla

They don't have to if one single voice actor's performance nose dived every new version. I have no ill feeling toward hayter personally. But he is just a bad voice actor now.

Meh, I'm not going to jump on the "Hayter is bad" bandwagon. Snake in MGS4 was an old man who was aging rapidly and, effectively, dying, Hayter's voice sounded appropriate I thought.

Septimius

I think there went substantial work into making Snake's voice deteriorate through 4, and I think it was great. It really portrayed an old man falling apart. I don't think that's all Hayter can do, and I don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion.

Fucking shame loosing Hayter. He IS snake. I think I'll feel majorly detached from the main character if it's not Hayer, and it'll have me seriously considering actually playing the game.

Pretty much. Big Boss already had a different VA, so, this isn't too sacrilegious. I'd expect Hayter to return if Solid Snake is somewhere in the future.

Sure he did in MGS2 and 4, if that's what we're all referring to? But Hayter as Big Boss in MGS3 should be pretty indicative of why this Snake should be Hayter. He's not that old, yet.

RK9039

Could it be that instead of Hayter being the voice of Big Boss, he is given the secret task to voice Solid Snake? Now although Snake is pretty young even after the nine year coma, perhaps the storyline jumps ahead to the point, where we can see him as a young adult.

I mean, yeah Richard Doyle did voice Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 4 and I think people associate Hayter's voice with Snake.

Besides, wouldn't it be really weird if we had both Solid Snake and Big Boss in the same scene, talking in the exact same voice?

That's what I thought as well.

Although like I said before the voice of Big Boss in the stage demo was not Richard Doyle. Seems like a stock voice over, maybe they'll add another voice later on. Also Hayter was Big Boss for MGS3, MPO, MGS: PW. Big Boss hasn't aged that much, why change the voice?

Septimius

Have we any way of checking if the same is happening with the Japanese voice actor? I don't know Snake's voice there, but if it's Solid Snake's voice actor that does Big Boss in this game, then surely something's very off.

RK9039

Have we any way of checking if the same is happening with the Japanese voice actor? I don't know Snake's voice there, but if it's Solid Snake's voice actor that does Big Boss in this game, then surely something's very off.

The Japanese voice actor is the same, the GZ trailer had Akio Ōtsuka as Snake, he's always been Snake.

Big Boss hasn't aged that much, why change the voice?
After a 9 year coma his muscles would be messed up due to atrophy, couldn't something happen to his vocal chords as well after so many years of inactivity plus intubation? Bear with me, I have zero medical knowledge. Just a thought that could justify a change in his voice.

Salaadin

Don't get too caught up over semantics. And no he doesn't, it's Kojima's game and he should be thankful he let his declining performance be the voice of so many games. He is being an immature brat whining about it as though he knows better than Hideo.

I love how running a stupid twitter poll and saying "I had a good run" equals "immature brat whining about it like he knows better than Kojima". Youre making it sound like hes throwing a hissy fit when none of that is actually going on.

Pretty much. Big Boss already had a different VA, so, this isn't too sacrilegious. I'd expect Hayter to return if Solid Snake is somewhere in the future.

This could be but there would have to be more retconning or time skips for that to happen. Not impossible though.

Hayter was good in MGS1, but as the series went on he lacked more and more the ability to express what his Japanese counterpart was able to. Hayter's two modes in later games were gruff-and-serious and gruff-and-goofy, and by the end he was doing a caricature of Snake. Yeah, he defined Snake in the US, but this represents a good opportunity to move to an actor who can do more with the character.

Rocwell

I dunno, I don't have strong feelings either way. I can see the need to differentiate more between Big Boss and Solid Snake more as their stories progress and it's not the first time Big Boss has been voiced by someone other than Hayter. Besides, Kojima has been hinting that Solid Snake's story will be revisited in the future so I'm fairly confident they'll ask him to reprise his role there. If someone else ends up voicing Snake then I will be shocked and dismayed.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Sucks that Hayter won't be doing the VA, but seriously there are those who wouldn't play this game because he's not in it? Come onnnnn, you know you'll still get it.

RK9039

After a 9 year coma his muscles would be messed up due to atrophy, couldn't something happen to his vocal chords as well after so many years of inactivity plus intubation? Bear with me, I have zero medical knowledge. Just a thought that could justify a change in his voice.

That actually makes sense, I also don't have any knowledge in field. Maybe someone else can explain.

Maybe as the game progresses he warms his vocal chords up (he was smoking in the trailer) and then David Hayter reprises his role towards the end of the game. I'm such a genius, I know I know.

synce

Hayter was good in MGS1, but as the series went on he lacked more and more the ability to express what his Japanese counterpart was able to. Hayter's two modes in later games were gruff-and-serious and gruff-and-goofy, and by the end he was doing a caricature of Snake. Yeah, he defined Snake in the US, but this represents a good opportunity to move to an actor who can do more with the character.

+1

Hayter sounded more and more artificial as the series went on. I think this change is for the better

Top Bottom