• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Twisted Metal coming 2011, release date announcement soon

Haunted

Came in here to be down on things, but then David Jaffe said live-action endings!?

Been replaying WCP and pining for some of these lately. :eek:

yencid

This might just be my next Warhawk. I put soooo much time into warhawk because of the balance and the team play and the unique weapons, cant wait :D

davidjaffe said:
I remember! :) And I STILL want to do that so badly! I SO want to have Eat Sleep Play doing iphone/ipad/PSN/XBLA style games and that is in the future for sure. But TM was too good of a creative opportunity for us to pass up. It actually started as a smaller PSN game but grew and grew and grew to become the full retail game it is now. I want to do all sizes of games for sure. And yes, small downloadable games are something I'm very passionate about and we will get back to them.

David
How can you move on to small-scale downloadable games after creating arguably THE most epic videogaming series of all time? :p I understand if that's Eat Sleep Play's goal, but another super mega epic IP won't hurt!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
My "sell my ps3" sense is tickling.

Another series ruined by MP focus and live action apparently lol, and numerous endings (despite there only being 4 stinkin characters) I'll never see unless there are god-mode like cheats the previous games had.

Wonderful! Brilliant!

Why did I buy this console again?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
RustyNails said:
How can you move on to small-scale downloadable games after creating arguably THE most epic videogaming series of all time? :p I understand if that's Eat Sleep Play's goal, but another super mega epic IP won't hurt!

I DO want to go back to some epic games in my career for sure. BUT the biggest thing GOD OF WAR taught me was/is the value of gameplay. Epic set pieces and great story and cool characters are fantastic elements that some games have but other mediums do ALL of those thing 1000 times better simply by nature of the pros/cons of the interactive medium. God of War showed me that and while I may never be any good at pure mechanics based games, I can't ignore the fact that pure mechanics are the purest and best and most powerful language of this medium. When I do any creative work, it has to be genuine and come from a place of passion and honesty with myself. Because of truly in my gut knowing that mechanics matter more than anything else, it's very easy and crazy appealing to leap into the world of ipad/iphone/psn/etc. because those are the current places where mechanic based games rule and can find the most success.

Let's put it another way: at this point in my career if someone said 'all I have to do is snap my fingers and you can automatically create the next Angry Birds OR the next God Of War', I'd be torn which one I'd pick.

David

bizatch

davidjaffe said:
I DO want to go back to some epic games in my career for sure. BUT the biggest thing GOD OF WAR taught me was/is the value of gameplay. Epic set pieces and great story and cool characters are fantastic elements that some games have but other mediums do ALL of those thing 1000 times better simply by nature of the pros/cons of the interactive medium. God of War showed me that and while I may never be any good at pure mechanics based games, I can't ignore the fact that pure mechanics are the purest and best and most powerful language of this medium. When I do any creative work, it has to be genuine and come from a place of passion and honesty with myself. Because of truly in my gut knowing that mechanics matter more than anything else, it's very easy and crazy appealing to leap into the world of ipad/iphone/psn/etc. because those are the current place where mechanics rule.

David

David, you're awesome.
Thanks! :)

davidjaffe said:
I DO want to go back to some epic games in my career for sure. BUT the biggest thing GOD OF WAR taught me was/is the value of gameplay. Epic set pieces and great story and cool characters are fantastic elements that some games have but other mediums do ALL of those thing 1000 times better simply by nature of the pros/cons of the interactive medium. God of War showed me that and while I may never be any good at pure mechanics based games, I can't ignore the fact that pure mechanics are the purest and best and most powerful language of this medium. When I do any creative work, it has to be genuine and come from a place of passion and honesty with myself. Because of truly in my gut knowing that mechanics matter more than anything else, it's very easy and crazy appealing to leap into the world of ipad/iphone/psn/etc. because those are the current places where mechanic based games rule and can find the most success.

Let's put it another way: at this point in my career if someone said 'all I have to do is snap my fingers and you can automatically create the next Angry Birds OR the next God Of War', I'd be torn which one I'd pick.

David
Real talk. I really appreciate your sincerity and honesty as it relates to your passion for gaming. It's evident for everyone to see. I slightly disagree that videogames are handicapped when it comes to storytelling/characters/set pieces etc compared to other mediums. At least, not in the near future. The way I see it, me personally, I see games being able to enhance the narrative experience which is traditionally a non-interactive staple (movies, theatre, comics, novels, etc). Heavy Rain although far from perfect, came really close to demonstrate this. It was a better and long-lasting storytelling experience for me than most of the movies released this year. Heck, God of War 1 had a heartfelt story at its core which I thought was just as great as rest of the game.

I also understand mechanics based games and I can now see why you want to focus on iphone/psn games. In any case, whatever you do in the future I'm positive it will rock!

Grayman

Does the turnaround time help as well or would you happily spend 3 years on a purely mechanical game?

What I actually came through to post if the thread was still active: In multiplayer does putting one of the 4 drivers in one of the 16 cars change specials? I read that the attributes like handling and cooldown would not change but the door is open to other things changing?

StuBurns

Banned
subversus said:
actually no.

You can do 3D in 30 fps game as Batman Arkham Asylum does.

http://kotaku.com/5495083/batman-arkham-asylum-game-of-the-year-edition-hops-on-3d-bandwagon

It uses anaglyph 3d.
You don't even need that, you can do 'real' 3D with two anamorphic 720 frames at 30fps like the Avatar game did. There is still overhead from having to draw a lot of material twice, but it's nothing like needing double the framebuffer. I actually imagine something like TM would benefit notably from it.

With Sony's push, I'm pretty surprised that they haven't requested the game have a 3D mode.

I will be purchasing this game, looks bananas, but not for myself. I buy all of these kinds of games for my younger brother to play (Stuff like Burnout, NFS series etc he loves, and this looks crazy cool).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I can't get my fix for car combat since Deathtrack and Carmageddon. I have high hopes for this even though I haven't played any TM before.

Ploid 3.0

Dreams-Visions said:
cool. hopefully it won't suck.

old formulas don't always translate well in modern times.

What? Isn't pretty much every game this gen old formulas? GoW2 was hanging in with current gen games when it was released. It's all graphics this gen.

Grayman

subversus said:
I can't get my fix for car combat since Deathtrack and Carmageddon. I have high hopes for this even though I haven't played any TM before.
to me the older twisted metal games were closer to a shooter starring cars than Carmageddon a racing game about destruction. I have not checked out the videos for this new TM yet though, i expect the handling has changed a lot since TM2.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kafel said:
I wonder if Twisted Metal is still relevant today.

Sales figures will tell.
Last I checked, balls out fun is still fairly relevant in today's gaming marketplace.

Btw David,

That Twisted Metal announcement was awesome. Awesome live action teaser followed by getting out of fucking Sweet Tooth's truck to awesome music, and then demoing the game on stage. Thats fun. Really underlined that games can be fun as fuck.

KAL2006

Banned
davidjaffe said:
My hope is all endings are the 'good' endings. It's not like we're holding back the meaty endings for the end. All of the default difficulty endings are going to have as much meat on the bones as the very last one. And if you play them all, they tie together in certain ways to tie the whole story together.

As for other characters, Grimm, Tooth, Preacher, and Dollface are the main human characters. There are many, many vehicles to put them in, each on totally unique, each one with 2 special weapons and many with functionality exclusive just to them (healing, flight, transport).

David

I would have liked it like the old Twisted Metal games, were each character has it's own vehicle. This gave the characters and vehicles it own personality. Oh well I can get over it.

2 Specials per vehicle, let me get this straight, so vehicles will now have 2 specials instead of just 1. Also I hope we get some old levels whether it's in the game or as DLC.

AAK

David, I know you're lurking here.... if you include an HD version of the TM2 Paris level with the same or even better a remixed audio of it.... I'll buy 5 copies!

Sold! Any plans on a Collector's edition with a rubber sweet tooth mask, HotWheels 1:64 die-cast model ice cream truck and a chainsaw-keychain? ;D

Noisepurge said:
Sold! Any plans on a Collector's edition with a rubber sweet tooth mask, HotWheels 1:64 die-cast model ice cream truck and a chainsaw-keychain? ;D

There definitely needs to be a sweet tooth mask in there. That would be so freaking awesome.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Grayman said:
Does the turnaround time help as well or would you happily spend 3 years on a purely mechanical game?

What I actually came through to post if the thread was still active: In multiplayer does putting one of the 4 drivers in one of the 16 cars change specials? I read that the attributes like handling and cooldown would not change but the door is open to other things changing?

It's a good point: I don't know if I'd want to spend all that time on a pure mechanics game but I guess it would depend on what the design was. Hard to imagine I guess because there is so much evidence that amazing mechanic based game nirvana can be achieved in 3-18 months in most cases (see classic arcade games, big iphone/ipad hits, Popcap Games classics) that there doesn't seem to be a need to spend more time than that. And sure, I love the idea of having a lot more games out in a decade than just 2-4.

As for your other question about drivers changing vehicle functionality: I answered that on the last page I think. The short answer is 'no' but the reason is answered in a bit more detail on page 2 (I think it is...).

David

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Always-honest said:
2011 is just insane...

One would be silly to expect Sony to flood 2011 with all of these 1st party games. Expect a good number to be pushed back.

subversus

Grayman said:
to me the older twisted metal games were closer to a shooter starring cars than Carmageddon a racing game about destruction. I have not checked out the videos for this new TM yet though, i expect the handling has changed a lot since TM2.

that's ok, Deathtrack (1988) was about this too.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Kafel said:
I wonder if Twisted Metal is still relevant today.

Sales figures will tell.

It is 100% still relevant...to some people :).

Yeah, annoying answer I know. I mean, I hear what you are saying for sure. And as I said before, we are fully aware we're not making HALO:REACH or Black Ops here.

And look, whenever you make any creative product you HAVE to encase yourself in a nice little cocoon of denial. Not denial that you are going to be a big failure or a big hit. But just denial of the fact that you really have no idea if anyone else is going to give a shit. And yes, you can hedge your bets (mainly via the team working their ass off on the game, listening to market research, listening to the fans,etc) but end of the day, you never really have any idea. Hell, I remember waling into Gamestop about 2 weeks before GOD OF WAR hit and saw the GOW COMING SOON box up on the shelf and just had this moment where I knew- like God was telling me from on high- that this thing was going to come and go with no one noticing or caring and be like the game Sphinx PS2 or Akuma on PS1.
So just goes to show you: who the hell knows?!? :)

But I agree the core idea is prob not that relevant to today's hard core gamer or jock gamer (COD:MW style players) but I do think we are relevant to a large enough group that we can do really well if we do our jobs right on the dev/pub end.

I have a hard time articulating this but I'll try: someone else brought up the poor sales of Need for Speed: HP (amazing fucking game), Blur, etc. I hope we don't suffer the same fate. But a part of me feels those games- great as they are- were trying to grab that hard core/jock gamer by trying to share the same conceptual space as today's mega hits. I think with Twisted- for better or worse- we're embracing what makes us unique: demonic clowns, crazy story, over the top vehicle design, ultra pick up and play driving physics, level design that doesn't care as much about reality as it does fun, weapons that are over the top and put humor and imagination ahead of being based on actual weapons the military would use, split screen local gaming being just as crucial as our online component,etc...Going this route will 100% lose us some of the more mainstream/jock gamers. But we feel it may also help our true fans- and folks inclined to become new fans- embrace us even more. A simpler way to say it is this: we are not aiming for Modern Warfare:Black Ops scope success (would be great but we're not delusional). But we do want to share the same stage as Demon's Souls and Street Fighter 4 in terms of being successes that sell well enough to make a nice profit, bring a lot of new fans to the table, and make our current fans really happy.

David

subversus

davidjaffe said:
But we do want to share the same stage as Demon's Souls and Street Fighter 4 in terms of being successes that sell well enough to make a nice profit, bring a lot of new fans to the table, and make our current fans really happy.

David

I wish more devs shared this attitude.

Xater

Man so next year I have been waiting 10 years since the last console Twisted Metal? seeing the number makes the waiting time feel even longer. :lol

Canova

Banned
davidjaffe said:
But we do want to share the same stage as Demon's Souls and Street Fighter 4 in terms of being successes that sell well enough to make a nice profit, bring a lot of new fans to the table, and make our current fans really happy.

David

holy crap, you're a big fan of Demon's Souls too?

Hi David, please tell Sony to bring the fuck on Demon's Souls 2!!!

If there's any one title embraced so well by the hardcore circle, Demon's Souls is it. Our pie has been getting smaller and smaller, please, please, please tell Sony we want Demon's Souls 2. I'll buy 5 copies of your game, if you only deliver this message.

DSc

davidjaffe said:

David

subversus said:
I wish more devs shared this attitude.

Agreed. I was watching Bonus Round earlier where the panel seemed to suggest that the industry was adopting an 'everything or nothing' stance. ie. If you weren't putting out something as successful as Call of Duty, then there's no point putting it out at all.

I don't want to sound like I'm sucking up, but if more devs/publishers adopted the same attitude as David, I think the industry would be in a much better place. Respec'.

El-Suave

This game really needs some more exposure in Europe - it's baffling to me how it had a presence at Pax, Comic Con etc. but not at Gamescom, Eurogamer Expo or some other European events. I guess resources are limited because Eat Sleep Play isn't a huge studio, but I can't shake the feeling that most of the PR work that has been done so far was of the "preaching to the choir" variety.
The vibe I was getting from most of the European media I consumed when it was announced at E3 was mostly indifference - Sony should at least try to change that.

KAL2006

Banned
Does this game support splitscreen and online play at the same time?

El-Suave said:
This game really needs some more exposure in Europe - it's baffling to me how it had a presence at Pax, Comic Con etc. but not at Gamescom, Eurogamer Expo or some other European events. I guess resources are limited because Eat Sleep Play isn't a huge studio, but I can't shake the feeling that most of the PR work that has been done so far was of the "preaching to the choir" variety.
The vibe I was getting from most of the European media I consumed when it was announced at E3 was mostly indifference - Sony should at least try to change that.

How did Twisted Metal 1, 2 and Black do in europe. I remember me and my friends bought all those games and we're from the UK

Opus Angelorum said:
Need for Speed : Hot Pursuit sales suggest otherwise, unfortunately.

:(

The biggest difference between TM and Hot Pursuit is that a game like TM isn't done twice a year. Sure, Hot Pursuit may be a ton of fun, but it's not really anything that people haven't already played a couple of times in the past 2 or 3 years. Sales reflect genre fatigue at this point IMO. It's not like there have been a couple of decent Vigilante 8 games to satisfy the appetites of gamers to where they would be soured on the upcoming TM.

blurredvision said:
The biggest difference between TM and Hot Pursuit is that a game like TM isn't done twice a year. Sure, Hot Pursuit may be a ton of fun, but it's not really anything that people haven't already played a couple of times in the past 2 or 3 years. Sales reflect genre fatigue at this point IMO. It's not like there have been a couple of decent Vigilante 8 games to satisfy the appetites of gamers to where they would be soured on the upcoming TM.

Hot Pursuit also came out at a very bad time (near GT5). While they play completely differently, they're still racing games in the end. That definitely had an impact on HP's sales. In the case of TM, I can't see any upcoming games that are similar to it. Plus TM is also the biggest name in its genre.

Canova

Banned
El-Suave said:

I agree EU is Sony's stronghold, they should prioritize Europe now more than ever.

thcsquad

DSc said:
Agreed. I was watching Bonus Round earlier where the panel seemed to suggest that the industry was adopting an 'everything or nothing' stance. ie. If you weren't putting out something as successful as Call of Duty, then there's no point putting it out at all.

I don't want to sound like I'm sucking up, but if more devs/publishers adopted the same attitude as David, I think the industry would be in a much better place. Respec'.

Well, first parties are more likely to bankroll those types of games, especially Sony. They seem content in having a variety of games that sell 500k to 1 mil a piece, which are most likely profitable but aren't letting them print money like Halo or COD.

El-Suave said:

It needs to be on the PlayStation Blog more. Hopefully it'll become a mainstay on the EU blog more when the info blow out happens.

We'll probably have Gamescom again before the game releases so they could make a push there.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
2 Specials per vehicle, let me get this straight, so vehicles will now have 2 specials instead of just 1. Also I hope we get some old levels whether it's in the game or as DLC.

Each special currently has an alt fire. Some of the alt fires are traditional alts (variations on the standard fire functionality such as our muscle car that has a charge up vulcan gun for a special and the alt is the same gun but if you can step-charge the charge mechanic ((hit and hold charge again at just the right time window)) then you get missiles as well...and you can step charge the alt up to 3 diff times) while others are 100% different (i.e. helicopter special is a turret that lets you fly while also being in FPS and controlling the turret as you attack vehicles below...but the alt is a magnet that drops from the bottom of the copter and lets you pick up and carry/transport enemies and friends alike). Currently we are discussing if we want to make the alts unlockables that open up as you rank up or just include them with the vehicle from the get go. Not sure what we'll decide on that issue.

Yes, we've discussed revisiting old levels down the road if the core game is a success enough to warrant it (i.e. Paris, Bowl from TM2, Rooftops from TM 1 and Tm2, Junkyard from TMB,etc). Would love to do a TM CLASSIC DLC PAK at some point.

David

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
AAK said:
David, I know you're lurking here.... if you include an HD version of the TM2 Paris level with the same or even better a remixed audio of it.... I'll buy 5 copies!

Would love to but alas, no Paris in this game. But we may do it as DLC! Does that at least get us 2 copies from you?!? :)

Crisis

Banned
davidjaffe said:
It is 100% still relevant...to some people :).

Yeah, annoying answer I know. I mean, I hear what you are saying for sure. And as I said before, we are fully aware we're not making HALO:REACH or Black Ops here.

And look, whenever you make any creative product you HAVE to encase yourself in a nice little cocoon of denial. Not denial that you are going to be a big failure or a big hit. But just denial of the fact that you really have no idea if anyone else is going to give a shit. And yes, you can hedge your bets (mainly via the team working their ass off on the game, listening to market research, listening to the fans,etc) but end of the day, you never really have any idea. Hell, I remember waling into Gamestop about 2 weeks before GOD OF WAR hit and saw the GOW COMING SOON box up on the shelf and just had this moment where I knew- like God was telling me from on high- that this thing was going to come and go with no one noticing or caring and be like the game Sphinx PS2 or Akuma on PS1.
So just goes to show you: who the hell knows?!? :)

But I agree the core idea is prob not that relevant to today's hard core gamer or jock gamer (COD:MW style players) but I do think we are relevant to a large enough group that we can do really well if we do our jobs right on the dev/pub end.

I have a hard time articulating this but I'll try: someone else brought up the poor sales of Need for Speed: HP (amazing fucking game), Blur, etc. I hope we don't suffer the same fate. But a part of me feels those games- great as they are- were trying to grab that hard core/jock gamer by trying to share the same conceptual space as today's mega hits. I think with Twisted- for better or worse- we're embracing what makes us unique: demonic clowns, crazy story, over the top vehicle design, ultra pick up and play driving physics, level design that doesn't care as much about reality as it does fun, weapons that are over the top and put humor and imagination ahead of being based on actual weapons the military would use, split screen local gaming being just as crucial as our online component,etc...Going this route will 100% lose us some of the more mainstream/jock gamers. But we feel it may also help our true fans- and folks inclined to become new fans- embrace us even more. A simpler way to say it is this: we are not aiming for Modern Warfare:Black Ops scope success (would be great but we're not delusional). But we do want to share the same stage as Demon's Souls and Street Fighter 4 in terms of being successes that sell well enough to make a nice profit, bring a lot of new fans to the table, and make our current fans really happy.

David

Dave, can we share an internet high-five?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Noisepurge said:

Not a mega fan of CEs but I have heard rumblings of a CE. But nothing set in stone at all. I think if we did one we've talked of including one of the masks as well as other stuff but there really is no announcement. We may not do a CE at all (and I kind of hope we don't). I think the game needs to be the game. A single edition. If people love it- and we hope they will- then we can release special editions and such. But I do know some people love the CEs.

Hell, I'd love to sell lots of TM toys and schwag but just sell them as separate items and not tie them to a CE.

David

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My question:

1) The only camera available in cars is the third person camera?
2) Whos the cutie in your avatar? :D

Jaffe keepin' it real.
Thanks for the insight!

Top Bottom