• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Lynch: "It is happening" Twin Peaks back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
incidentally i started watching this show, i'm on episode 5. not in anticipation of the revival or anything, just a coincidence

there are so many good looking women on this show, it's a little ridiculous...
special agent dale cooper already becoming a favorite of mine, and his love for pies and coffee

Cooper is the absolute best. What a great guy.

sherilynfenn @sherilynfenn1
It's happening again.....this year....sooner than you think....������
So she's tweeting about the next season in a positive manner. I thought she was mad about the new season not long ago. I'm hoping this is a positive sign for good Audrey stuff in season 3.

I'm trying to decide when I want to start a rewatch of the series to get ready for season 3

Futureman

yea it's like... what was that vague Twitter drama earlier with her? was it real? was it meant to drum up hype? Anyways good to hear it sounds like she's happy now and Peaks is coming sooner than we thought.

Currently watching Gilmore Girls and she looked good in the one episode she was in (thought it looks like her character returns later on).

yea it's like... what was that vague Twitter drama earlier with her? was it real? was it meant to drum up hype? Anyways good to hear it sounds like she's happy now and Peaks is coming sooner than we thought.

Currently watching Gilmore Girls and she looked good in the one episode she was in (thought it looks like her character returns later on).

I think she was just mad that they're using Kyle for a majority of the promo work.

Shocking that the main character would be the go-to.

Just a heads up, no confirmation of media/trailer being shown but Showtime is having their Twin Peaks panel for the TCA (Television Critics Association) at 5:00 pm PST (1/9), with the following actors present:

http://pressexpress.sho.com/TCA/pdf/tca_winter_press_tour_2017.pdf

5:00–5:45PM ”TWIN PEAKS: 2017"

Mädchen Amick – @madchenamick
Laura Dern – @LauraDern
Miguel Ferrer – @Miguel_J_Ferrer
Robert Forster
Kyle MacLachlan – @Kyle_MacLachlan
Kimmy Robertson

#TwinPeaks

Fingers crossed for a trailer! The premiere date will likely be revealed here.

asagami_

Banned
Twin Peaks and Switch presentation in the same week?

It's happening guys.

I think the same happened in the October Switch reveal.

-griffy-

Banned
Two hour premiere, 18 hours total, and episodes 3 & 4 will be available On Demand and with Showtime's streaming platform right after the premiere.

David Nevins (president of Showtime) just described the new Twin Peaks as the pure heroin version of David Lynch.

kris.

Banned
giphy.gif

hype is fuckin real boys n girls

Wollan

Also confirmed that this third season will properly conclude Twin Peaks with no big cliffhangers potentially leading into new seasons. Perfect.

smudge

Also confirmed that this third season will properly conclude Twin Peaks with no big cliffhangers potentially leading into new seasons. Perfect.

With Lynch directing, I highly doubt this means that all loose ends will be resolved.

Wollan

Link to this? So there won't be a S4?
What I read was a bit more elaborate but the same comment is mentioned in this article: http://tvline.com/2017/01/09/twin-peaks-revival-premiere-date-showtime/
As for even more Peaks beyond the upcoming 18 hours, Nevins was bearish, saying, “It’s designed to be a closed-ended, one-time event.”

With Lynch directing, I highly doubt this means that all loose ends will be resolved.
Here's a quote on that:
Nevins previously described scripts for the upcoming revival as “very satisfying” and that “there are certain basic questions that I had at the end of the original [show] — given where Agent Cooper is — and I think get answered.”

Solo

Honestly, I'm happy with it being an 18 episode, closed end kind of thing. Send the series off the in proper way.

Vinter

Think of it this way:

It's been 9348 days since S2 ended. It's back in 129 days.

That's no time at all.

Yes, but I made my peace with never seeing the conclusion to this lovely series. Now that it is almost here, the wait is unbearable :)

nachum00

I don't know. The endings to most Lynch movies tend to be really dark and vague, or are meant to be left open to interpretation. Hoping season 3 follows suit.

Solo

Me too.... Though I'm also a huge sucker for the soap opera
EVERYTHING IS NOW BROKEN finales
they've gone with in the past haha

Oh, I don't doubt there will be ambiguity/unresolved threads (it is Lynch, after all) - I'm not talking about a happy ending. I just like the idea that this is it: there are these 18 episodes taking us back after 26 years, made by Lynch/Frost, and then that is it for Twin Peaks forever. I like that a lot. Feels like it's been made for the right reasons.

Fuck I'm excited. Most anticpated piece of media in 2017.

Oh, I don't doubt there will be ambiguity/unresolved threads (it is Lynch, after all) - I'm not talking about a happy ending. I just like the idea that this is it: there are these 18 episodes taking us back after 26 years, made by Lynch/Frost, and then that is it for Twin Peaks forever. I like that a lot. Feels like it's been made for the right reasons.

Fuck I'm excited. Most anticpated piece of media in 2017.
Agreed on all points, right there with you. I would never have said in a million years that someone would give David Lynch near twenty more hours of final cut footage, fully funded, but I've never been more happy to be wrong. It's strange to even type like it's reality. The season is actually the most nebulous thing I've probably wanted in a long time since its initial announcement, surpassing even Winds of Winter or that secret Wu Tang album.

We're going to explore the black and white lodges people! /faint

For reference, I'm not too hot on Inland Empire so MD is the last time Lynch straight up nightmare-smacked me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it is really hard to believe. The number of hours, all directed by Lynch. So many of the main cast back too. Additions of Naomi Watts and Laura Dern are amazing as well.

Solo

I watched a YouTube clip yesterday that was a compilation of all the Black Lodge clips and it was just so far ahead of its time. Both the Black Lodge in particular, and even moreso, the show itself. I cannot even fathom what it's going to be like in 2017. It's too tantalizing to even try to predict what Lynch has cooked up. I'd kill for a trailer, but I'm also liking the idea that the show may hit without one, and maybe just a few character specific teasers. That way the first episode will be a true virgin experience. Like, in a modern world where every trailer spoils the whole movie, how cool would it be to see Cooper for the first time in 26 years not in a trailer, but in the premiere?

On another note, I rewatched the Leland reveal too and goddamn, Bob is terrifying and disturbing as hell even when you know what is coming.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I watched a YouTube clip yesterday that was a compilation of all the Black Lodge clips and it was just so far ahead of its time. Both the Black Lodge in particular, and even moreso, the show itself. I cannot even fathom what it's going to be like in 2017. It's too tantalizing to even try to predict what Lynch has cooked up. I'd kill for a trailer, but I'm also liking the idea that the show may hit without one, and maybe just a few character specific teasers. That way the first episode will be a true virgin experience. Like, in a modern world where every trailer spoils the whole movie, how cool would it be to see Cooper for the first time in 26 years not in a trailer, but in the premiere?

On another note, I rewatched the Leland reveal too and goddamn, Bob is terrifying and disturbing as hell even when you know what is coming.

I'm hope we only get some very brief teasers.

It's amazing how freaky the show can be (in-between some of the 90s goofiness). Bob climbing over the couch towards Maddie for example.

Solo

Yeah - I'm debating showing it to my girlfriend so that she can watch TP2017 with me. Problem is I know the campiness/cheese the show often has will turn her off. Completely. On the other hand, I know she'll love the darkness of the show, the mystery and the atmosphere. Tough call.

Real Hero

Yeah - I'm debating showing it to my girlfriend so that she can watch TP2017 with me. Problem is I know the campiness/cheese the show often has will turn her off. Completely. On the other hand, I know she'll love the darkness of the show, the mystery and the atmosphere. Tough call.

She should love the movie then at least.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

This weekend I'm lending the show to a buddy and I'm worried about the same issues, haha.

Solo

She should love the movie then at least.

For sure, but despite it being a prequel of sorts, I feel like you can't watch it until after the show.

This weekend I'm lending the show to a buddy and I'm worried about the same issues, haha.

I mean, to me that's part of the charm of the show. It can be so goofy and earnest, yet in the next scene it can be stone cold serious and terrifying. I wouldn't have it any other way, but 26 years later, I can see how it wouldn't fly with modern audiences. I think I'll try to get her to watch (I'm rewatching either way - just finally bought the Bluray set), but with some warnings beforehand haha.

I mean, to me that's part of the charm of the show. It can be so goofy and earnest, yet in the next scene it can be stone cold serious and terrifying. I wouldn't have it any other way, but 26 years later, I can see how it wouldn't fly with modern audiences. I think I'll try to get her to watch (I'm rewatching either way - just finally bought the Bluray set), but with some warnings beforehand haha.

No one knew it would fly with people 26 years ago. There's no reason it should have. But I think Frost and Lynch mix together in a very appealing, very unique way.

It's clear that their style by description should be easy to say if you like it or not, but experiencing it is very different than hearing about it.

You say goofy in one scene serious in the next, but sometime it's both at the same time. When the Palmers find out about Laura's Death in the Pilot, it's sad, heartbreaking, and brutal, but also funny, goofy, and ridiculous. Depending on your mood it could be the best thing or worst.

Solo

Absolutely. It's a fine line the show either walks or obliterates at any given moment. Hopefully she'll like it. I have a pretty good track record for showing her stuff she's ended up liking, so I feel like I have a pretty good gauge on her tastes. It'll all come down to how the comedic elements rub her.

I hear the Bluray is excellent in terms of picture quality, so I cannot wait to experience it.

Futureman

yea the strength of TP to me is the dual nature... campy/creepy, funny/sad, lighthearted/violent.

That's what makes it great. Every show isn't for everyone obviously. If you don't like the campy/funny stuff that's fine... TP just isn't for you.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For sure, but despite it being a prequel of sorts, I feel like you can't watch it until after the show.

The Blu Ray set is great. I haven't watched the Missing Pieces yet either so looking forward to that. Also have the Gold Box which I'm going to lend out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
yea the strength of TP to me is the dual nature... campy/creepy, funny/sad, lighthearted/violent.

That's what makes it great. Every show isn't for everyone obviously. If you don't like the campy/funny stuff that's fine... TP just isn't for you.
Yep. A lot of media that tries to ape TP seems to forget it was that dichotomy that made the show so memorable.

robotrock

Banned
I've never seen the Missing Pieces. Does it contain scenes from Fire Walk With Me to make it feel like an actual movie? Like an Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie situation.

Or is it just a collection of scenes?

nachum00

I've never seen the Missing Pieces. Does it contain scenes from Fire Walk With Me to make it feel like an actual movie? Like an Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie situation.

Or is it just a collection of scenes?
Its a collection of scenes edited together by Lynch. It doesn't feel like an actual movie but a great a companion piece to FWWM.

But I believe theres a fan edit somewhere that has all the scenes edited back into the movie.

Its a collection of scenes edited together by Lynch. It doesn't feel like an actual movie but a great a companion piece to FWWM.

But I believe theres a fan edit somewhere that has all the scenes edited back into the movie.

It does but the pacing seems fairly off in parts, and the differences in color grading with the theatrical cut scenes is a bit off putting. There are a few scenes though that when added back in give it some better continuity
such as the transition from the Bang Bang Bar to The Pink Room
though it's arguably better in the original to give things more of a sense of disorientation/intoxication.

I will say the 3 plus hour runtime does give a nice added immersion boost getting to be in that FWWM atmosphere for that much longer, worth at least a single watch for that feeling imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom