• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Lynch: "It is happening" Twin Peaks back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'd love another trip to Deer Meadow.

I believe they are, Stanton was spotted in a trailer park when they were filming in Washington. According to those close to the production they're revisiting a lot from FWWM. Also this quote from someone from production passing info along to a trusted source at the fan site dugpa has me giddy: "[the new series] will make Eraserhead look like an after school special."

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
FWWM I think will play a role. Which I'm all for, I'm of the opinion the film is one of the most underrated movies David Lynch ever made.

It's exciting to me that they've wrapped up filming after several months. I know that still means the series is far off of course, due to natural TV editing time as well as Lynch's infamous personal time he takes on his projects, but definitely happy the project is having time worked on it rather than rushed out the door. It being filmed though I think has some peace of mind to know it's coming, however.

I continue with the expectation that David Lynch might partially be doing this as the last film/series he'll ever do. He is doing a lot with it, outside of being the third season to a fairly famous TV program the project seems rather ambitious from the outside. Lynch isn't getting younger, and I'm happy I live in the universe where this ends up happening as there were so many things that could of happened to stop this from being a thing. But I don't have any doubts in my mind for both David Lynch taking so much personal effort into the project with Mark Snow, this being the first film/series he's tackled that's not a music video or something in 11-12 years, and him turning 70 this year that this may be the last thing we may be seeing from him. It all sounds very good so far, we haven't seen much but the fact so much returning and new notable talent is on board does show a lot of actors believe in the project, and I guess don't have any fears of if I'll enjoy it or not (but I haven't disliked any of Lynch's films personally, so...).

I guess just more excited and curious now that we know it's done filming and have the full cast list, which opens up all kinds of questions. Cast list is much larger with much more returning actors and new promising talent than I think anyone expected, so be fun to be on the speculation train for the next year or more (though going to try my best not to spoil too much for myself).

^I think you mean Mark Frost, Mark Snow was the X-Files composer :p

Agreed on this probably being his last hurrah, though who knows, with his freak genes and steady diet of Lynch brand coffee and cigarettes he might outlive us all!

FWWM is absolutely underrated, I saw Blue Velvet as my first intro to Lynch and FWWM second, on accident as my first foray into TP land. Images from it still linger with me, and I've gone back to it more than any other picture in his filmography. If he manages to capture that special kind of darkness in the new series I will be very happy. So, so excited this is happening.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Great bump! Just finished the original two seasons last week and am absolutely stoked for the new season!

I saw your LTTP thread actually when I searched Twin Peaks to post the videos to this thread. Happy you enjoyed it, you actually sound like you had a very similar experience to me when I watched the show, I watched in late 2010 because all of these games I had been playing had cited the show as a big inspiration for them (Deadly Premonition, Alan Wake, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories), so I sat down to watch it, and I loved it. Even have the thing in common with you that I thought most people's hated 'midseason terribleness' is incredibly overstated and still enjoyed the show when it lacked a central more twisted plotline for a bit there (though it does certainly get better and reaches new heights for the last few episodes). Though I'm curious where difference in perception will come simply because of timing; when I watched it I knew it was going to end on a cliffhanger and thought it was never going to be continued but inspired many people to try their own take on it, but I didn't really expect a cliffhanger like THAT. And now with the third season coming next year, I'm curious how the difference in perception may work.

If you haven't watched the Missing Pieces part of the Blu-Ray, I would also recommend it. I say that since I noticed the David Bowie question, but might have already seen it.

---

Actually, while I'm posting this, something else I will add. This news is a week or two old, but wasn't posted, but Harry Goaz (the actor who plays Andy) posted some things about his experience shooting the show (no big spoilers, but some minor ones if you care), and how they had to shred the scripts and such so nothing would leak out: http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/actors/harry-goaz-new-twin-peaks-script-david-bowie/

Airola

<nevermind>

EDIT:
came to put those Youtube links, but didn't notice they were already posted :D

Hyped as hell!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for bumping. Just finished watching Fire Walk With Me after so long. So amazing. It made me realize that they recasted Donna. And with this cast list, it looks she is not returning?

Trent fucking reznor and his wife?

wut. I'm confused yet intrigued

I'm thinking that his wife will perform some music while he plays guitar in a club scene. Her vocals seem suited to this

Still pretty bummed about the sheriff not coming back. I like the guy they recast him with but it just won't feel the same seeing somebody else with Cooper.

Tagyhag

I'm thinking that his wife will perform some music while he plays guitar in a club scene. Her vocals seem suited to this

Still pretty bummed about the sheriff not coming back. I like the guy they recast him with but it just won't feel the same seeing somebody else with Cooper.

Agreed, Michael Ontkean being gone is going to be the worst hole.

PolishQ

Sorry for bumping. Just finished watching Fire Walk With Me after so long. So amazing. It made me realize that they recasted Donna. And with this cast list, it looks she is not returning?

Correct, neither Lara Flynn Boyle or Moira Kelly are returning. I would have loved to see Moira play the role again. Maybe we'll get a third Donna actress?

Simbabbad

Sorry for the bump, didn't know where to put it: World of David Lynch is back online.

http://lynch.batbad.com/

Not sure if people here knew about this site or not, but it's been online for about 10 years and went through many changes, then it has been put offline about five years ago. The return of Twin Peaks on TV made it come back.

To sum it up, it's some sort of weird walking simulator in the world of David Lynch, blending together elements from Twin Peaks (the series and film), Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, etc.

It's still the same code, meaning it needs Flash to run and doesn't work on tablets as far as I know.

Futureman

Kyle MacLachlan was having a FB/Twitter contest where had to draw Coop with cherry pie and tag it #CoopLovesCherry... I was just finishing up my drawing and he posted the winners :( Oh well, here it is!

6aFKlV2l.jpg

Kyle MacLachlan was having a FB/Twitter contest where had to draw Coop with cherry pie and tag it #CoopLovesCherry... I was just finishing up my drawing and he posted the winners :( Oh well, here it is!

6aFKlV2l.jpg

I dig your style! Do you possibly have an instagram where you post your drawings?

PolishQ

David Lynch is teasing something...

https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/777900518291025920

The tweet contains a quote from Mulholland Drive and links to www.playinglynch.com, which has a countdown timer to Tuesday, September 27th at 8:00 AM Eastern.

There are also a couple microsites that popped up, also with links to playinglynch.com :

http://doublerdiner.squarespace.com/
http://lantermansoils.squarespace.com/

and this Log Lady GIF: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKioidNDGmJ/

So, any bets as to what's going to happen next week? A trailer and release date for the new series would be amazing, but who knows...

Edit: There's more...
https://gfycat.com/UnsightlyBlueAcaciarat
http://theslowclub.squarespace.com/
https://gfycat.com/AcidicArcticHarborseal

Given the Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive, and Blue Velvet references, this could be an announcement of something more related to the overall Lynch oeuvre...

Would be great if directing all these episodes has got him into taking on another movie again.

Either way we're about to get hours of his stuff soon. Pretty hype

PolishQ

And even more:

http://merrickbandagesupply.squarespace.com/
http://losthighwayhotel.squarespace.com/

Possibilities flying around in my mind:

- new Lynch bluray box set (but how would this gel with Criterion's release of Mulholland Drive?)
- Lynch biopic
- touring Lynch film retrospective
- some kind of new media exploration (museum exhibit? VR?)
- new Lynch website with exclusive content, like the good old days of davidlynch.com

The last one would be particularly exciting - and it could launch with a trailer for the new TP.

I hope once the book comes out, there is more of a push to show off the new Twin Peaks. Some promotional photos would be nice, behind the scenes footage, tonal teasers, really anything.

.JayZii

Banned
I need to rewatch season 1 immediately after that short teaser. Just the background of trees has got me excited.

Honestly, I'm fine with The Man from Another Place not being in the new season. I'm looking forward to all the new iconic imagery. I doubt Lynch will make the new season a greatest hits Twin Peaks nostalgia wank. At least I hope that's not the plan.

may huh. thanks guys. thinking of buying that twin peaks book as well to tide me over. normally don't buy collectors stuff like that but this show is worth it.

PolishQ

may huh. thanks guys. thinking of buying that twin peaks book as well to tide me over. normally don't buy collectors stuff like that but this show is worth it.

You may want to go for the audiobook, which is read by cast members from both the original and upcoming series.

We'll have all the revelations in the new Mark Frost book to pore over for much of that time. Book comes out in mid-October.

Maybe. There was a press release awhile back saying that the book is mostly covering events during and before the first two seasons, which is different from what was originally cited by Mark Frost. I believe initially it was supposed to cover the gap between the S2 finale and just prior to S3 premiere, though some have speculated they decided to break it into two separate volumes (based on a "Volume I" being in a release) with the second covering the gap and releasing closer to the new season. But who knows we'll find out soon enough.

Did you get a chance to spy the 42 page preview that was up on itunes UK before it got taken down? Some pretty fantastic lore in there already.

Book spoiler:
there's talk of a murder in TP in 1991 from the book preview, some have guessed either Annie or Donna :/

Erevador

Maybe. There was a press release awhile back saying that the book is mostly covering events during and before the first two seasons, which is different from what was originally cited by Mark Frost. I believe initially it was supposed to cover the gap between the S2 finale and just prior to S3 premiere, though some have speculated they decided to break it into two separate volumes (based on a "Volume I" being in a release) with the second covering the gap and releasing closer to the new season. But who knows we'll find out soon enough.

Did you get a chance to spy the 42 page preview that was up on itunes UK before it got taken down? Some pretty fantastic lore in there already.

Book spoiler:
there's talk of a murder in TP in 1991 from the book preview, some have guessed either Annie or Donna :/
No! I didn't see that. Very interesting... I did enjoy reading all the documents we got a look at in the book trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom