• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Lynch: "It is happening" Twin Peaks back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A delayed response, but the delay to 2017 is hardly surprising, but my stance is I'd rather they take the time and make this season potentially great than rush it out the door. There's a high chance this may be the last television/movie thing Lynch ever directs, I'm for him taking the time he wants/needs to make it what he wants it to be.

Looks like Bailey Chase is joining the cast

Was on Longmire and Buffy I believe, not familiar with his work myself. Also here's some interesting tidbits Dana Ashbrook (Bobby Briggs) shared at a recent Q&A from Living Dead Con in Portland (credit to user Shloogorgh from dugpa forums):

I was at the Living Dead con in Portland, Oregon over the weekend. Dana Ashbrook and James Marshall were there and did a Q&A. It was a joy to hear from them, first time meeting any of the cast or crew.

One interesting tidbit Dana dropped was how long the revival has been in the works. According to him, David and Mark would write for a year, discuss what had been written for 6 months, then write again cyclically. He also saw (but wasn't allowed to read) the complete script, which he described as an absurdly thick tome (which fits with it not being separated into episodes). So with all this in mind, it makes sense that they would want to recast Truman if he was a major part and they had already spent so long perfecting the script.

Dana also mentioned to me that besides Snoqualmie, they would be filming all over, "different cities, different states, even different countries." That last bit caught me by surprise, but he didn't elaborate on that. Location shooting in Canada? Or even Argentina for some Judy shenanigans? Or someplace not connected to the original series at all? The mind reels

That tome script sounds hilarious, but makes sense with the "one long episode" structure. Wonder if Frost and Lynch are the only two that have full access. I like the idea of the cyclical writing style too, might be a better approach with something this ambitious to make sure things get a good look over before committing. Guess you run the risk of too much over-thinking too though, but I have faith in these two.

Different countries too, damn this thing is gonna be wild. Maybe a return to Buenos Aires? Canada is probably a given.

Didn't want to make a new thread for the show but I'm watching Twin Peaks on Netflix.

The show has been enough to keep me entertained, but outside of the dream sequence I haven't seen any of the 'weird' stuff. Does it take a while?

soco

Didn't want to make a new thread for the show but I'm watching Twin Peaks on Netflix.

The show has been enough to keep me entertained, but outside of the dream sequence I haven't seen any of the 'weird' stuff. Does it take a while?

As I remember, there's only bits in the first season. It gets much weirder in the second season, especially in the later episodes.

Dusk Golem

As I remember, there's only bits in the first season. It gets much weirder in the second season, especially in the later episodes.

First Season has some weird bits that may seem a bit more tame these days because a lot of works have been inspired by it.

Second Season the show gets a lot weirder. It's part of the reason I never got people who think the second season is absolutely not worth watching, the second season features some of the best parts of the show, its just also a lot longer and more inconsistent, but I argue it has higher highs and lower lows than the first season but is definitely worth watching, but there are just as many (and I would say more) episodes worth watching in the second season compared to the first season (Season 2 does have 8+ episodes worth watching, and I think its worth taking the entire ride of Twin Peaks).

There's a lull of 5-7 episodes after the killer is revealed and the show tries to find its footing after this, it's probably the low point of the series, but to be honest I even enjoyed it fairly enough. However, it is worth watching the series through to the end, not only because a third season is now coming in a couple years (all directed by Lynch and written by him and Frost, plus with 25 years to plan it out it should be good), but maybe the absolute best part of the show is the end of the second season. The show finds its footing in the last few episodes leading up to the Season 2 finale, and the final episode of Season 2 (and for years, the final episode of Twin Peaks), is by far both the strangest, most interesting, and one of the more unexpected plot twist and cruelest cliffhangers in television history.

Astarte

By weird stuff do you mean James
you'll get a lot of James

Dusk Golem

I am just in some weird audience for the show. I thought the civil war stuff was hilarious.

James I can understand the hate, but I don't know, I found his plight to almost be parodyish (I thoroughly believe Twin Peaks was made something of a parody of soap operas in part), and in that regard I thought his storyline was amusing, but was one of the show's weaker elements.

hqdefault.jpg

i died. and I've only seen the first 2 episodes of the original series.

putting it as #2 on my list to binge after im done with TNG.

Dusk Golem

Outside the dream and lodge scenes there really aren't many particularly 'weird' scenes. Loved that hotel waiter though.

I disagree, partially because the town folks are weird and there's just some odd scenes of them being weird. But also, and actual spoilers so don't click this if you don't want to be spoiled,
the scenes involving Bob and other residents of the lodge in the real world are often pretty weird. Like the scene of the white horse suddenly materializing in the living room or the liquid corn scene didn't strike you as a bit odd, as an example?

I also would say the townsfolks get weirder in the second season than they were in the first season, from my memory.

>Though I did love the hotel waiter, again actual spoilers,
but it's basically confirmed he was someone from the lodge.

Well I'm like 4 episodes away from finishing the season. I'm actually kind of sad the intro song wasn't the chipmunks one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SKEfOtGSM

I'll post thoughts after I finish S2 so it'll be a while.

Be interested to read the ride~

I disagree, partially because the town folks are weird and there's just some odd scenes of them being weird. But also, and actual spoilers so don't click this if you don't want to be spoiled,
the scenes involving Bob and other residents of the lodge in the real world are often pretty weird. Like the scene of the white horse suddenly materializing in the living room or the liquid corn scene didn't strike you as a bit odd, as an example?

I also would say the townsfolks get weirder in the second season than they were in the first season, from my memory.

>Though I did love the hotel waiter, again actual spoilers,
but it's basically confirmed he was someone from the lodge.

Be interested to read the ride~

I'll probably post S1 impressions here tomorrow. Once I finish S2 I'll consider an LTTP of the whole series. Seems like something that would have a cult following/fanbase on GAF. I'm not the biggest Lynch fan, Mulholland Drive made me roll my eyes a bit. But loving this.

Kind of a late reveal, been snoozing on TP news lately, some small tidbits of info gleaned from some set leaks, spoilers related to Coop here, from TMZ (yeah I know)...

When the series ended nearly 25 years ago, Agent Cooper was possessed by Laura Palmer’s killer, the evil spirit BOB. We're told Kyle was on set recently shooting scenes for a plot line where Agent Cooper is arrested and jailed for crimes.

For all you Twin Peaks sleuths ... here are the on set clues:
- Cops find evidence in Cooper's car ... a dog leg, a kilo of cocaine and a machine gun
- Cops interrogate Cooper in a prison cell

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/28/twin-peaks-reboot-showtime-spoilers/#ixzz3t2ZMhC7g

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/28/twin-peaks-reboot-showtime-spoilers/

There's also been talk of casting roles for an Irish gangster and filming in a well known Irish pub in LA, maybe Bad Coop has gotten tangled in with the criminal underworld, or maybe it's an undercover thing.

Also, dog leg lol, how appropriately random and Lynchian.

Also apparently William Shatner of all people asked Kyle on twitter recently when it was due to air, and Kyle said he's heard early 2017, certainly better than October '17! Knowing The Shat is a TP fan is just something special...

Finished S1.

The fuck is up with that Halo 2 ass S1 ending haha.

Enjoyed the season over-all. I guess that once I started watching the show as a mystery with a big emphasis on character drama, it became all the more enjoyable. I was less bothered by how much time they spend on the other townsfolk and began enjoying their tales and separate adventures that most ended up being decently relevant to the show.

As to the 'weird' I guess I set my expectations to high due to Lynch being involved and having played Alan Wake, which had the main town apparently be heavily inspired by Twin Peaks.

Finished S1.

The fuck is up with that Halo 2 ass S1 ending haha.

Enjoyed the season over-all. I guess that once I started watching the show as a mystery with a big emphasis on character drama, it became all the more enjoyable. I was less bothered by how much time they spend on the other townsfolk and began enjoying their tales and separate adventures that most ended up being decently relevant to the show.

As to the 'weird' I guess I set my expectations to high due to Lynch being involved and having played Alan Wake, which had the main town apparently be heavily inspired by Twin Peaks.

Try and power through S2 when you can, the finale and the movie should give you an ample dose of weird ;)

I'm a day late but Jim Belushi is being added to the cast.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/13/twin-peaks-2017

In bigger, more unconfirmed news, an insider on dugpa forums close to the production said that Michael J Anderson aka The Man From Another Place will be in several scenes that have yet to be shot. Well that's some of the best news to get right now, especially since we won't be seeing any more Phillip Jeffries :/

edit: Oh man Lynch apparently tried to get Jack Fisk to do production design (Mulholland Drive) for the new season but he was busy with The Revenant:

Right now he’s doing the new version of “Twin Peaks,” which my art director Ruth De Jong is designing with him. He actually called me up in Canada, all excited, when I was doing "The Revenant," like, "C’mon Jack, we'll build all the sets ourselves, we'll paint them too." I had to say, "David, I'm working. In Canada." But I knew that he couldn't work with a normal art director, because normal art directors aren't so hands on. So Ruth, who was a painter before she started working with me, is doing that and I think they're getting along great. Every director's a little different -- when you start working with them you figure out what they need, what you can contribute, and then you start touching on ideas of design.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...thomas-anderson-david-lynch-and-more-20160114

oatmeal

Banned
I'm very curious how they will handle the intro.

Reshooting it wouldn't have the same magic, and with time getting us away from that particular "sound", will they remake the opening song or let nostalgia sweep over it?

120v

i can't imagine why they'd cast tom sizemore unless it was for one episode or something. no way that dude could keep it together for a production lasting more than a few months

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's a tiny bit of me wishing that David Bowie somehow managed to record a bit for this new season.

Anyway, interesting casting news!

Anybody know what went down with the World of Blue (dugpa) forums? Currently showing a message "Board will be disabled until further notice." Some peeps on twitter are thinking it may be due to certain leaks re: filming in LA coming out, potential takedown notices from Lynch/Showtime. Anywho thought I'd inquire if anyone caught a potential spoiler that may have contributed to this, its been bone dry for TP news for awhile, needs mah fix! Oh and apparently Michael J Anderson was spotted on set, but I doubt that was it.

If I had to guess, she's the new Donna?

I'm not sure if they'll even bother with Donna as a character at this point. They've already got Truman replaced as is, frankly I wouldn't be too bothered if she was gone entirely /ducks

So about the hubbub over at dugpa (all things tp spoilers), I guess a Deadline writer made an account there and weaseled some casting info out of someone over pm, promised they wouldn't share the info, and well here we are, the forums are now closed indefinitely. Bit of a silly move on the mods' part imo, Lynch's sensitivity with casting info has always struck me as odd, but hey it's Lynch, so whatever.

Here's some oldish news from December I missed, editor of the original pilot, Duwayne Dunham (also did Empire, Jedi, and Blue Velvet), is returning for editing duties on the new series. He got an Emmy for the work he did on the pilot.

I’m working with David [Lynch] right now on Twin Peaks. And it’s a big show. And the great thing is, David is directing all of it and I’m back in the editor’s chair with him. I haven’t done this in 25 years! So, it’s a lot of fun and I’m very appreciative of the opportunity and the chance to work with him.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/duwayne-dunham-editor-new-twin-peaks/

inm8num2

Patrick Fischler and David Dastmalchian join Twin Peaks

Yex1MNa.jpg

According to Deadline, two more residents have found themselves in the idyllic town of Twin Peaks, Washington, a place where the coffee is damn fine, the pie is possessed by evil spirits, and the overarching mysteries are better left unsolved. The new faces are Patrick Fischler and David Dastmalchian, two guys who happen to have experience playing mysterious and off-putting characters, so they should fit in pretty well on Twin Peaks. Fischler has recently appeared on Silicon Valley and Once Upon A Time, but he also worked with Twin Peaks’ David Lynch on Mulholland Drive. Despite having a role in Ant-Man last year, though, Dastmalchian is slightly less famous. He’s probably best known for playing the Joker thug in The Dark Knight who was wearing a “Rachel Dawes” name tag and got roughed up a little by Harvey Dent—even if he barely had any lines in that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom