• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise leaves Rare

Bebpo said:
So I don't get it. Someone explain it to me.

MS spends all this money getting these first party studios together. Assembling a lineup of quality exclusive software. Thanks to these games in part, the X360 is where it is today. Then they fire them or the team leaves or whatever.

X360 is still in a fierce software battle with PS3 for every exclusive they can get. What good does it do MS to lose these studios who could be making kickass exclusive 1st party games in many genres to battle the PS3 1st parties? It's one thing if X360 had one the generation and was so far ahead MS could fire everyone and sit back and enjoy profits, but they're in the middle of a major heated battle. This would be the dumbest time to lose 1st party titles.

What is going on?
Perhaps it's difficult to cultivate creativity in a stifling corporate environment?

@Hero of Legend: Barrel Blast's soundtrack featured some catchy stuff.

DK Jungle Falls

Parched Palace

I really hope Barrel Blast's poor critical and commercial reception didn't kill off Paon's involvement with the series. Barrel Blast had problems in the gameplay department, but lest you all forget, Jungle Climber was fucking great. With the legitimately challenging gameplay, intriguing plot, and spendid use of Rare's characters and mythos with Paon's own spin, I would say Jungle Climber is the best Donkey Kong game since DKC2. Yepp, even beating out DKC3 and DK64.

"Intriguing" is just about the last word I would use to describe Jungle Climber's plot. And I'm going to ignore your last sentence there.

RawkHawk2010 said:
@Hero of Legend: Barrel Blast's soundtrack featured some catchy stuff.

DK Jungle Falls

Parched Palace

I really hope Barrel Blast's poor critical and commercial reception didn't kill off Paon's involvement with the series. Barrel Blast had problems in the gameplay department, but lest you all forget, Jungle Climber was fucking great. With the legitimately challenging gameplay, intriguing plot, and spendid use of Rare's characters and mythos with Paon's own spin, I would say Jungle Climber is the best Donkey Kong game since DKC2. Yepp, even beating out DKC3 and DK64.

Paon also was involved with Klonoa Wii, I was pleasantly shocked when I learned that! :O

You know, I'd even like it if Paon did a 2.5D DK game ala Klonoa or something for Wii and David Wise composed for it. Paon's shown great respect for the franchise.

Oh, and can they PLEASE get onto Klonoa 2 for Wii. :(

Edit: I really liked the style they used for Jungle Climber in this stage:

DK_Jungle_Climber_screenshot.PNG

Azure J

Green Mamba said:
"Intriguing" is just about the last word I would use to describe Jungle Climber's plot. And I'm going to ignore your last sentence there.

Yeah seriously, it's like Jungle Beat doesn't exist to some folks. :lol

BatmanX

kadotsu said:
Dear Insomniac,

Hire this man and create the Ratchet & Clank follow up IP with him.

Thank you!

A Wise suggestion I'd to support. Insomniac desperatly needs some talented musicians imho. Music in resistance and ratchet were one of the weakest point (especially sound design in resistance2, really horrible)

Anyway along the guy who left to join Free Radical my favorite musician at Rare, thank you for your brilliant effort and good luck for the future, I really hope he will join a talented team

Speevy

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Yet another reason why I want Microsoft out of the console race.

Developers close or get swallowed when the demand for their franchise or genre shrinks.

You'll see it happen to the developers Sony worked with last generation too. Also, remember Left Field Studios? What about N-Space? Kuju?

It's a tough industry. Microsoft Games Studio, and by extension the entire branding of the original Xbox was an exciting thing to watch, especially if you owned that system at or near launch. You saw a wide range of experiments fill the shelves and although most didn't work, at least Microsoft gave them a shot.

Bluemercury said:
he's still there?

Nah, Grant left for Big Huge Games back in 2008 after he finished the soundtrack for Nuts & Bolts. Those guys aren't doing too great right now though so it hasn't worked out too well for him.

Speevy said:
Developers close or get swallowed when the demand for their franchise or genre shrinks.

You'll see it happen to the developers Sony worked with last generation too. Also, remember Left Field Studios? What about N-Space? Kuju?

It's a tough industry. Microsoft Games Studio, and by extension the entire branding of the original Xbox was an exciting thing to watch, especially if you owned that system at or near launch. You saw a wide range of experiments fill the shelves and although most didn't work, at least Microsoft gave them a shot.

agreed.

the truth is rare failed to make themselves even a little bit relevant this generation.

Avatars are literally the best things they've done in years - but they focus grouped this shit out of those... so...

Anyway, i really look forward to seeing what rare can do with Natal.

soco

Flying_Phoenix said:
At least I have the balls to actually speak my mind.

then all of gaf must have massive balls.

seriously, you're saying something silly on an internet message board. that doesn't take "balls".

Datschge

Puncture said:
Oh wow...Wise did RC Pro Am too. Guy is a fucking legend.
Afaik Wise was the sole composer at Utimate Play the Game/Rare from 1987 (Slalom) to 1994 (DKC) so yes, his legacy is huge and his departure from Rare is no small deal.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
How many 90s-era Rare staff have left at this point?

Someone should just start a new company called Uncommon Games...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I guess you could say Rare are suffering from pre-Natal compression.

fuck you

Top Bottom