• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of War III announced, trailer, coming in 2017

LordRaptor

Space Marines are human men given physical augments and geneseed to transform them into super soldiers. They are not clones.

My bad, I was always under the impression it was one of those "you are totally not allowed to do this as it is heresy (but we do it anyway and pretend we dont)" things.

Tacitus_

My bad, I was always under the impression it was one of those "you are totally not allowed to do this as it is heresy (but we do it anyway and pretend we dont)" things.

That's for "interfering with the holy human form" via artificial organs and mutations. But everyone except the most radical Inquisitors ignore it "because Emperor made them".

Space Marines are human men given physical augments and geneseed to transform them into super soldiers. They are not clones.

That's for "interfering with the holy human form" via artificial organs and mutations. But everyone except the most radical Inquisitors ignore it "because Emperor made them".
Kindaaaaaaaaaaaaa
The Codex Astartes does outline the genesede and modifications and where and how the stock is supposed to be maintained (via tithes to the adept mechanicus). So there is a check so to say... also there is how the 21st founding went down. The Inquisition was not happy about the results of how the gene seed took to some of those chapters :p

longdi

Banned
Do I need the expansions and stuff to enjoy CoH2? I bought it at launch, got sad, got even more upset after realizing we may never see DoW3, then only yesterday did my crushed tears manifest into happiness once more.

Basically I'm itching for some juicy Relic stuff

Coh2 is in a pretty good state now. As varied and challenging as coh1 in 1v1 and 2v2 Just buy the dlc factions on sale and forget about the rest. A new incoming patch seems to make things even better.

However yes the Commander system in coh2 is bad step back.

Dipper145

I'm hyped for this regardless of base building or not, as long as it's handled well, loved both DoW1 and 2, liked 2 better but that's just me. Hopefully there's a similar type of last stand mode. Excited to build a bunch of orcs and rampage through the maps.

On a side note I think an expanding/diminishing army based on your previous battles ala homeworld would be interesting in a 40k setting.

Tacitus_

Kindaaaaaaaaaaaaa
The Codex Astartes does outline the genesede and modifications and where and how the stock is supposed to be maintained (via tithes to the adept mechanicus). So there is a check so to say... also there is how the 21st founding went down. The Inquisition was not happy about the results of how the gene seed took to some of those chapters :p

The Cursed Founding is a different matter. Space Marines are by definition mutants, even with the stablest geneseed there is.

The Cursed Founding is a different matter. Space Marines are by definition mutants, even with the stablest geneseed there is.

Well yeah of course! I should have phrased my post to make it seem like I was adding to what you were saying and not detracting from it.

A bit confusing...
Dawn of War 3 moves away from Dawn of War 2's heavy reliance on wargear.
Yet they do not describe what that means or iwhich sense. Does that mean no Dawn of War 2 campaign style per slot upgrades, side grades and choices in the campaign?
Or does that mean no multiplayer Dawn of War I and II infield wargear customisation (different weapons, utilitizties, and armours for heros and different war gear or paths for units)?

Hah. We quoted the same confusing and hype-deflating information.

Yo, if you want a primer into W40K lore, here's your primer into W40K lore;

Space Marines = Space Nazis. Also, they're all clones. Also, they can't remember how to do technology any more.
Eldar = Space Elves. Also, they're all arrogant perverts. Also, they managed to fuck a chaos god into existence because they couldn't keep it in their pants, so their sous get eaten when they die.
Orks = Space Orcs. Also, they're the comic relief. Also, they're a fungus powered by the power of wishful thinking.
Chaos = Space Marines going through their teenage angst phase. Also, definitely listen to Linkin Park.
Imperial Guard = All the red shirts from star trek got together with phasers set to stun and figured they could help. Also, are irredeemably fucked in any battle scenario you can think of.

Everyone else = not popular enough to worry about for at 3 expansions.

This is so wrong in so many levels.. I just have to chime in and give an actual summary of the races..

Space Marines: Genetically engineered warrior monk supersoldiers equipped as basically walking tanks and organized into chapters that serve the Emperor. These chapters range from selfless defenders of humanity to singleminded forces of destruction. The forces of the Imperium of Man at large as much fear and abhor them as they need and envy them.
Eldar: An elder alien race who has been a part of the galaxy longer than most others. Their psychic abilities and hedonistic tendencies combined to gave birth to a Chaos God, tore down the barrier between the Materium and the Warp and basically fucked up the whole galaxy. They have since splintered into two basic factions, one who still pursue their sadistic and hedonist urges, and one who sulk and watch everything from afar and self-righteously meddle in the affairs of 'lesser' races.
Orks: Space Orcs. Comic relief. Genetically created militaristic alien race who were meant as an organic weapon against Necrons, they went out of control and became a menace against the whole galaxy. Ironically, they are quite possibly the galaxy's most effective defense against Tyranids and Necrons.
Chaos: Forces of the Warp. The Warp is basically an alternate dimension of psychic energy. The emotions of sentient and psychic races in the galaxy have fucked the Warp up completely with overwhelming feelings of rage, pride, fear, lust, and gave birth to Chaos Gods. These Gods (and their daemons) are basically invading the material world in pursuit of acts that will generate emotions to further empower them (i.e. war, pestilence, decadence, what have you). Some Space Marine Legions succumbed to the powers of Chaos 10,000 years ago and continue to wage an eternal war against the Imperium.
Imperial Guard: This is basically the Red Army of the Imperium, i.e. poorly trained, poorly equipped Imperial military juggernaut that relies on throwing enough corpses at the enemy until they die under the pile of bodies. "Even the man who has nothing left has his life to offer" is pretty much the Imperial Guard's summary.

And then there are the Tyranids who are an extragalactic alien hive whose sole agenda is to consume as much organic material and assimilate genetic code of enemies, the Tau who are busy founding an Empire for the Greater Good which is actually not as good as it sounds and would probably be crushed by the Imperium in a heartbeat if it actually grew to a size even remotely great, the Necrons who are basically a once sentient great race who transferred their consciousnesses into robots after being misled by lesser gods called C'tan, finally awakening from millenia of sleep to reconquer the galaxy with terrible weapons for their own alien purposes, and so on and so forth..

Anyway.. It's just not as cartoony as presented, so there you have that.

LordRaptor

Yet they do not describe what that means or iwhich sense. Does that mean no Dawn of War 2 campaign style per slot upgrades, side grades and choices in the campaign?

I interpreted it as campaign wargear, given the context where they talk about selecting hero units prior to the mission with 'recommended unit' builds and using skilltrees (presumably instead of wargear) for the hero units.

Eldar: An elder alien race who has been a part of the galaxy longer than most others. Their psychic abilities and hedonistic tendencies combined to gave birth to the first Chaos God, tore down the barrier between the Matterium and the Warp and basically fucked up the whole galaxy.

Sorry Bro, Slaanesh was fucked into existence by pervert space elves who couldn't keep it in their pants.

That's canon.

(Slaanesh is also the newbie chaos god, not the first)

I'd really like an I Am Bread crossover with DoW3 for release.
Bread for the bread god, scones for the scone throne.

Tacitus_

Each army has three elite slots that you fill before each battle. One of those slots will almost always be occupied by the army's leading hero character—Blood Raven captain Gabriel Angelos, in the case of the Space Marines. The other two slots can house super units such as the Imperial Knight, elite squads, or other individual heroes.

Good. Bigger armies made Retribution so much better.

But... Angelos is still Captain. Who the hell is Chapter Master?

More information, still not a single mention of campaign coop.

I find that quite concerning.

Noticed that too since I've only played DoW2's campaign with a friend and that was one of the most awesome RTS campaigns I ever played mostly because of that.
Game seems quite far into dev for them not to mention it at all, so I guess it does not bode well for co-op... :(

I was quite disappointed by having only 3 factions, but I guess that's the price to pay nowadays for a (I hope) well polished game.

Proelite

Noticed that too since I've only played DoW2's campaign with a friend and that was one of the most awesome RTS campaigns I ever played mostly because of that.
Game seems quite far into dev for them not to mention it at all, so I guess it does not bode well for co-op... :(

I was quite disappointed by having only 3 factions, but I guess that's the price to pay nowadays for a (I hope) well polished game.

They can always shoehorn coop into a RTS game with Archon mode.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Lets look at those tech trees:

eldartree.jpg

smtree.jpg

The only real choice that you make is whether you want the upgrade building sooner or later. There is absolutely no other choices to make in each tier. These tech trees barely branch out.

You lost a little in terms of teching, but on the grand scale DoW2 just put this base-building chore under the hood. You still had a pretty similar number of units, so it is not like you had more variety in DoW1. The end result was similar + MOBA-like heroes.

Here is how a meaningful tech tree looks (SC2):

At every tier there are branching lines. If there are no branching lines (in the case of Eldar), then you are not making any decisions.

I am not even going to dive into dedicated kingdom building games with mini-economies like AoE or Stronghold. Those games are all about the base-building and expansion, where DoW is all about tactical map movements and combat.

You're completely dumbing down what needs to be decide in a match. Disingenuous at best, if not downright ignorant.

Now, map out what structure needs to be built for what additional unit, elite unit, or hero, and also what tech upgrades come from which structure. There's so much missing from that tree.

Like I said, you've never played a competitive match of DoW1 in your life, please stop.

DocSeuss

This is so wrong in so many levels.. I just have to chime in and give an actual summary of the races..

Space Marines: Genetically engineered warrior monk supersoldiers equipped as basically walking tanks and organized into chapters that serve the Emperor. These chapters range from selfless defenders of humanity to singleminded and uncaring forces of destruction. The forces of the Imperium of Man at large as much fear and abhor them as they need and envy them.
Eldar: An elder alien race who has been a part of the galaxy longer than most others. Their psychic abilities and hedonistic tendencies combined to gave birth to the first Chaos God, tore down the barrier between the Matterium and the Warp and basically fucked up the whole galaxy. They have since splintered into two basic races, one who still pursue their hedonist urges, and one who
Orks: Space Orcs. Comic relief. Genetically created alien race who were meant to be an organic weapon against Necrons, they went out of control and became a menace against the whole galaxy. Ironically, they are quite possibly the galaxy's most efficient defense against Tyranid incursions and Necron awakenings.
Chaos: Basically forces of the Warp, where the Warp is basically an alternate dimension of psychic energy that coexists with the material world. The emotions of the sentient and psychic races in the galaxy have fucked the Warp up completely with overwhelming feelings of rage, pride, fear, lust, etc and gave birth to Chaos Gods which are basically invading the material world in pursuit of acts that will generate emotions that empower them (i.e. war, pestilence, decadence, what have you). Some Space Marines Legions succumbed to the powers of Chaos some 10,000 years ago and continue to wage an endless crusade against the Imperium of man and the now near-dead God Emperor whom they name the False Emperor or the Corpse Emperor.
Imperial Guard: This is basically the Red Army of the Imperium, i.e. impoverished, poorly equipped Imperial military juggernaut that relies on throwing enough corpses at the enemy until they die under the pile of bodies. "Even the man who has nothing left has his life to offer" is pretty much the Imperial Guard's summary.

And then there are the Tyranids who are an extragalactic alien hive whose sole agenda is to consume as much organic material and assimilate the genetic code of the worthy enemies to evolve, the Tau who are busy founding an Empire for the Greater Good which is actually not as great or good as it sounds, and the so called Empire would probably be crushed in a heartbeat if it grew to a size the Imperium would actually acknowledge as a serious threat, the Necrons who are basically a once sentient great race who transferred their consciousnesses into robots after being misled by lesser gods called C'tan, who are finally awakening from millenia of sleep to reconquer the galaxy with terrible weapons for their own alien purposes, and so on and so forth..

I don't want to correct your grammar, but some of your sentences don't make sense, and I really want to know what the other Eldar do.

Necrons are the best.

and that was the last time anybody had fun in the 40k universe without fearing for their immortal soul in the process

From what I got from my deep dive into W40K lore yesterday, I think folk can enjoy themselves without devoting every waking moment to the pursuit of pleasure and sensual fulfillment, especially if said folk have a greater psychic connection to immaterium ...

JTCx

I'm confused, so theres only going to be 3 races playable (Space Marine, Orks, Eldar)? If so, thats kind of disappointment was hoping for at least 4 to get a bit of variety.

Remmy2112

Yes! I loved Dawn of War 1, and absolutely adored Dawn of War 2. If this game ships with Last Stand mode I will be one extremely happy camper.

Though I still lament the unfortunately necessary downscaling that comes with any RTS sequel release after its preceding game had numerous expansions.

Dawn of War 1 had 4 factions to start, and then -five- added over three expansions.
Dawn of War 2 had four, and then two added over two expansions.

Naturally all of those factions were the products of the base product development time and money plus the amount dedicated for the expansion, so you can't expect everything in a sequel. Still, it can be lamented.

I don't want to correct your grammar, but some of your sentences don't make sense, and I really want to know what the other Eldar do.

Other Eldar:
Craftworld (who tend to have left before all went to hell) eldar are what he is talking about (in heavily simplified form of course). They exist on space faring fylable "vessels" called craftworlds.

The other are the Dark Eldar, which basically are the Eldar as they were before the fall (the catastrophic event of debuachery which gave birth to the chaos god Slaanesh in the warp. Raiders, hedonists, and hateful slavers. Extreme decadence.

There are also exodite eldar which somehow have managed to live on on other planets in a more rudimentary state.

Lastly there are the Harlequin... which are there own beasts.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Necrons are the best.

The Eldar vs Dark Eldar divide is silly and dumb. This comes from a former Dark Eldar player in the tabletop game. Dark Eldar just have "Dark" versions of basically everything while the Eldar have "Light" versions. The lore behind the Dark Eldar is really quite boring most of the time, however they did have some hilarious mechanics in the tabletop game where they could take captives and trap enemy units in nets and so forth. Unfortunately, they were also tough as paper so you had to hit and run and rarely could make good with the slave taking. They were a hilarious race to play, as you would rush in, strike, and run away but if you got caught in a firefight or a melee slog you were done. Pretty much counter to how everyone else played the game at the time (Space Marines love fire fights and melees).

I fully support every developer pretending Dark Eldar don't exist and just using Eldar for the space elves and then getting to some of the other cooler races (IMO Tau or Necron, but lots of people like Tyranids too).

Bastos

Horus Heresy has the first books in the timeline, as they happen during the 31st Millenium.

Not that you really need to start there, all you need to know from the Horus Heresy is that Horus rebelled with half of the Legions, beat the Emperor half dead, Emperor killed him and got interred into the Golden Throne. Cue grim darkness for the next 10 Millenia.

The Horus heresy series is really not a good start for someone new to the setting. It's set in the 31st millennium so it's quite a long while before anything else andit's completely different from the usual stuff. It's more intended for people who already have a general idea of how things are.

Unfortunately hat's not what the Codex's are for really. They're mostly for the rules for the tabletop game with some background on that specific faction, although not a huge amount. A codex will explain some of the lore for that race but if you want to find out more you really need to browse the Lexicanum site (Do not use the W40K wiki) or read novels. There is no place to get everything.

You'd be best of getting some more 'standard' novels to get a general idea of the universe first, something like the Gaunt's Ghost series would be a good place to start (it's also about the Imperial Guard rather than Space Marines, which is a good thing)
Will buy the first novel in ebook form and read then :D

iirc the "Dark Millennium" part of the 7th edition rulebook has all of the backstory, a timeline, overview of all of the factions, explains all the types of planets etc, so actually probably a pretty good overview of the setting

but the whole rulebook is like 70€ and has 2 more books in it, one for all the game rules and one for just showing off the miniatures, so not sure if worth it
I think that there's a place in my city that rents RPG books and all that, maybe I'll find it there.

Thank you all for the tips :D

cj_iwakura

Space Marines: Genetically engineered warrior monk supersoldiers equipped as basically walking tanks and organized into chapters that serve the Emperor. These chapters range from selfless defenders of humanity to singleminded and uncaring forces of destruction. The forces of the Imperium of Man at large as much fear and abhor them as they need and envy them.
Eldar: An elder alien race who has been a part of the galaxy longer than most others. Their psychic abilities and hedonistic tendencies combined to gave birth to the first Chaos God, tore down the barrier between the Matterium and the Warp and basically fucked up the whole galaxy. They have since splintered into two basic races, one who still pursue their hedonist urges, and one who
Orks: Space Orcs. Comic relief. Genetically created alien race who were meant to be an organic weapon against Necrons, they went out of control and became a menace against the whole galaxy. Ironically, they are quite possibly the galaxy's most efficient defense against Tyranid incursions and Necron awakenings.
Chaos: Basically forces of the Warp, where the Warp is basically an alternate dimension of psychic energy that coexists with the material world. The emotions of the sentient and psychic races in the galaxy have fucked the Warp up completely with overwhelming feelings of rage, pride, fear, lust, etc and gave birth to Chaos Gods which are basically invading the material world in pursuit of acts that will generate emotions that empower them (i.e. war, pestilence, decadence, what have you). Some Space Marines Legions succumbed to the powers of Chaos some 10,000 years ago and continue to wage an endless crusade against the Imperium of man and the now near-dead God Emperor whom they name the False Emperor or the Corpse Emperor.
Imperial Guard: This is basically the Red Army of the Imperium, i.e. impoverished, poorly equipped Imperial military juggernaut that relies on throwing enough corpses at the enemy until they die under the pile of bodies. "Even the man who has nothing left has his life to offer" is pretty much the Imperial Guard's summary.

And then there are the Tyranids who are an extragalactic alien hive whose sole agenda is to consume as much organic material and assimilate the genetic code of the worthy enemies to evolve, the Tau who are busy founding an Empire for the Greater Good which is actually not as great or good as it sounds, and the so called Empire would probably be crushed in a heartbeat if it grew to a size the Imperium would actually acknowledge as a serious threat, the Necrons who are basically a once sentient great race who transferred their consciousnesses into robots after being misled by lesser gods called C'tan, who are finally awakening from millenia of sleep to reconquer the galaxy with terrible weapons for their own alien purposes, and so on and so forth..

Also, the Inquisition/Adepta Sororitus(Sisters of Battle); basically a faction of the Emperor's best who seek to clean out the unclean from within. They're basically bloodthirsty inquisitors dead set on stamping out any incursions of Chaos or bad mojo in general.

Tacitus_

Will buy the first novel in ebook form and read then :D

If you really want to start with 30k, might as well get the first three (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy In Flames) as they contain the arc that starts the whole Heresy. But I'd recommend starting with something from 40k, maybe the Eisenhorn trilogy or just the fluff bits from a rulebook/codex.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Had an awesome time playing through DoW2 campaign in co-op. Will be very interested in snagging this unless it regresses back to more traditional RTS fodder. Loved the focus on hero unit squad action.

Enosh

Also, the Inquisition/Adepta Sororitus(Sisters of Battle); basically a faction of the Emperor's best who seek to clean out the unclean from within. They're basically bloodthirsty inquisitors dead set on stamping out any incursions of Chaos or bad mojo in general.
there multiple orders of inquisition

the xeno one deals primary with well xenos and their main military arm is the deathwatch (space marines that get together from different chapters, paint their armor black, except for one shoulder pad, are formed into kill teams and get really fancy toys to kill aliens with)
ordo hereticus deal with heretics, witches, mutans etc, mostly use Sisters
and malleus are the demon hunters, those have the grey knights

plus some smaller ones that don't really matter, you know it probably has to kinda suck to be one of the inquisitors that has to deal with all of the administratum paperwork, all your buddies are out hunting chaos or aliens but you are in some office reading reports

of course if a chaos cult pops up on a planet a xeno order inquisitor is on he or she will go and deal with this shit

also, just because I found it interesting, the horus heresy "reading order" from wiki looks hilarious ^^

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/English_Horus_heresy_spoiler_free_tree.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
From what I got from my deep dive into W40K lore yesterday, I think folk can enjoy themselves without devoting every waking moment to the pursuit of pleasure and sensual fulfillment, especially if said folk have a greater psychic connection to immaterium ...

who is even in the position to have fun in 40k? most of the places to live are described as being places where you might get murdered for no good reason if you leave the cardboard box that you call a house.

with the notable exception of the orks yes

Necrons are the best.

some of the eldar are space clowns that could make short work of anything the spess marines could throw at them short of a titan

and some of them ride dinosaurs

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Necrons are now Space Egyptian Bots, that change broke my heart. The C'tans are now just a myth kids tell their little brothers at night or something.

They do actually have characters with personalities now though, which would make them more interesting in a campaign setting.

Years of great fluff down the toilet. Dammit Games Workshop.

Switching between factions fairly quickly is nice. Less/no Wargear is... less nice. Especially since it sounds like they're toning down the hero flexibility overall as well.

Necrons are now Space Egyptian Bots, that change broke my heart. The C'tans are now just a myth kids tell their little brothers at night or something.

They do actually have characters with personalities now though, which would make them more interesting in a campaign setting.

Years of great fluff down the toilet. Dammit Games Workshop.

What great fluff? Necrons show up, slaughter people, disappear mysteriously. Repeat x10k. C'tan are still around, the roles just got flipped. Necrons broke their gods. That's pretty metal.

Newcrons>>>>>>Oldcrons. Especially since you still have Oldcrons in the form of corrupted dynasties.

cj_iwakura

Kind of disappointed after watching the trailer... I'm not a fan of any of the three races they picked.

Oh yeah, DLC. $$$.

Been playing a lot of DoW 1 since this announcement, still just as great as I remember!

The talk of three races seems to always be in the same breath as campaign talk. Here is hoping to at least one more for skirmish + multiplayer.

cj_iwakura

Been playing a lot of DoW 1 since this announcement, still just as great as I remember!

The talk of three races seems to always be in the same breath as campaign talk. Here is hoping to at least one more for skirmish + multiplayer.

Soulstorm was perfect. It had just about EVERYONE. That's why it's my favorite release.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Music in the trailer was done by the same guy who did Dredd. A+ work

Top Bottom