• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 patch makes COD: Ghosts SP 1080p on PS4, is 720p without patch

iNvid02

day 1 patches, gotta love em
KuGsj.gif

Brannon

Just wondering... for the people that lambasted the reviewers saying they should get their eyes checked cause they couldn't tell the difference between the Xbone and PS4 version : are you going to eat some crow?

See, this is why I almost always wait to comment on stuff like this; there is always a twist. This time though I almost made a comment about Single Player being native 720p, but one of the mods said that if another conspiracy theory came up, they'd get banned.

Then THIS happens. Best console launch ever; long overdue pent-up scandals just waiting to burst forth with life, you have to love it!

Just to clarify, this means that multiplayer is and has always been 1080p on PS4, correct?

Muppet of a Man said:
Interestingly enough...I've seen a sixth axis video comparing multiplayer between the systems and the PS4 version seems somewhat sharper--it even is apparent in the compressed videos. SP, on the other hand, looks nearly identical (not withstanding gamma differences).

Amused

Just wondering... for the people that lambasted the reviewers saying they should get their eyes checked cause they couldn't tell the difference between the Xbone and PS4 version : are you going to eat some crow?

Well, I guess they expected Polygon to have seen this in 1080p vs 720p, not 720p vs 720p... If they had, they would have seen a difference. The fact that they didn't, and the fact that this didn't make them think, is somewhat embarrassing in and of it self - even if it's somewhat understandable given the information they had.

IW and Activision are the real idiots here. Both polygon and Gaffers reacted in an understandable fashion given the information they had. Those claiming there was a big difference looking at video and pictures though, gaffers and reviewers alike ... Should blush a little :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So depending on what the reviewer compared directly between Xbone and PS4, SP or MP, you could either see no difference or you could see a clear difference. lol

Now, the issue is that the framerate drops appeared also for the 720 SP, that's a tricky one.

Jezbollah

CALL OF DUTY PS4 PATCH NOTES FOR VERSION 1.80

- Playstation 4 Single player campaign: upscaled
- Polygon reputation: downscaled

So what the fuck where reviewers saying about the PS4 being 1080P?

Gaming journalism = regurgitate whatever publisher tells you

RulkezX

Polygon will be redoing the review then ? Journalistic integrity and all that.

Fucking embarrassing that not one review outlet pointed this out , though. Oh and if the PS4 version was clearly better looking at 720p......

Rey

You see guys. As long as you imagine its in 1080p its going to look like 1080p.. everybody rejoice.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
This is the first time I see a patch like this in my entire life. Ghosts is one hell of a mess from a technical standpoint. I've seen some YouTube commentators having a lot of technical issues with this game and some of them are on the PC no less. Infinity Ward went from being a great FPS developer into a incompetent one and I never thought Tryarch will actually surpass them in terms of Quality.

I don't see why people are outraged.
InfinityWard had a lot to do and they didn't get everything befor they had to start pressing discs, so the kept on working afterwards and add those improvements with a Day1 patch.

What this shows us is that a lot of reviewers talked shit and Arthur Gies was actually right :D

Why would they? We've had a month or more of "journalists" saying "1080p doesn't matter", then the reviews come in and they say "It looks the same on both consoles!" We all know 1080p looks better, so it was fair enough to summise these journalists were blind / lazy / moneyhatted. No one suspected something was wrong with the game itself until those comparison shots came out, showing the PS4 version at 720.

A very strange turn of events, especially for those reviewers who could "clearly see the difference", lol.

It has been this way since the inlcusion of day 1 patches... You just haven't been paying close attention during the 360/PS3 era.

I've paid a lot of attention. I'd say it's worse now. Single player modes are going to ship more broken than ever this generation. The single-player-only gamer is still going to have to be online or get screwed pretty bad. Hopefully I'm wrong.

teiresias

I don't see why they would. The assumption by those that are reading the reviews but can't actually see the game yet was that the thing actually was rendering at 1080p, and there's no denying anyone that is worth being a "journalist" in this industry should be able to tell the difference. Journalists apparently couldn't figure out what they were looking it and relate that. That the PS4 was rendering at 720p doesn't change the fact that anyone worth being in this industry should be able to tell the difference between 720p upscaled and native 1080p.

The sad part is that instead of "gaming journalists" asking IW, "This doesn't look 1080p to us, are you sure it is? Our analysis says otherwise." and then reporting in the reviews, "We're not convinced that the PS4 is rendering at 1080p in SP," they all instead decided to perpetuate the myth that one actually can't tell the difference between native 1080p and upscaled 720p which is an absolute fabrication.

Of course, easily (unless you are using 100% of the available memory without any option to free some up). You could also patch it to run at 4k. The performance is anyone's guess though.

Thanks. I haven't heard of this happening before on consoles, I guess it's probably a normal thing on PC?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
These developers... what is it? Are they stripped of their resources? Do they really care? Are they fucking lazy? Are they really trying their hardest?

I don't get it.

Interfectum

Bright side: All those times Gies was saying 1080p didn't matter because he can't tell a difference... I wonder what he'll say about 1080p when he actually sees the difference?

Steel

Banned
Glad I'm not getting COD Ghosts. Makes it so much easier not to bother buying it knowing how bad IW is screwing it up.

Marc

That is just... wow... they are essentially selling a faulty product. For people who can't just download huge patches, which is a great deal of people, this is disgusting.

And this further shows where game 'journalism' is, you could have a dev tell one that they made their game with gummy bears and rainbows and they would take it as a given.

Top Bottom