• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
Son, that basketball scene ALONE makes that movie worse than anything in SS..come on now lol.

That basketball scene alone brought me more joy than "I want BET"

Get that dirty ass bullshit outta my face

That movie was terrible, was a piece of shit unfit for the actors who sadly had to be in it, the people who wrote it, the people who gave it money to be made, the director, PAs, the damn trailer house that edited that fucking cacophony of shit, and everyone else involved

That's what gets me most about Suicide Squad. It's not just a terribly incoherent piece of scenes jumbled together, it's also racist and sexist as hell.

LionPride

Banned
If that trailer is good, I'll be in here being happy as a clam

If it's bad...I'm going scorched motherfucking Earth in this sumbitch

Tabby

People regarding BvS: "Too much trailers god, they need to chill they're showing too much."
People regarding Justice League: "We need more trailers."

People regarding BvS: "There's no jokes this movie is trash."
People regarding Justice League: "Looks like they're going overboard with jokes."

LionPride

Banned
People regarding BvS: "Too much trailers god, they need to chill they're showing too much."
People regarding Justice League: "We need more trailers."

People regarding BvS: "There's no jokes this movie is trash."
People regarding Justice League: "Looks like they're going overboard with jokes."

Uh BvS were going overboard with the trailers that showed off the last Act of the movie

JL has had one hastily put together trailer using what footage they had with Icky Thump had over it

Movie comes out in a few months, folks getting reasonably antsy

firelogic

I wanna play! I wanna play!

Man of Steel 8/10
- awesome and believable origin story.
- awesome that he wasn't automatically 100% Superman right out of the gate.
- awesome visuals.
- awesome action.
- awesome villain in Zod.
- awesome representation of Krypton.
- awesome Superman theme song.

BvS: UC 9/10
- awesome 2nd phase in Superman's life.
- awesome Batman.
- awesome Batman/Superman fight.
- awesome Wonder Woman.
- awesome Doomsday vs Trinity.
- awesome visuals.
- awesome action.
- awesome Wonder Woman theme song.

Suicide Squad 5/10
- awesome Margot Robbie as Harley.
- awesome Dr. June to Enchantress transformation.
- awesome Jared Leto as Joker.

a916

If we're doing ratings

Batman v Superman UC - 9/10
Man of Steel - 8.5/10
Batman v Superman Theatrical - 6/10
Suicide Squad - 4/10

Batman v Superman UC did something intangible... maybe the final realization of the trinity... maybe it's seeing a world, not one in it's infancy, but just dripping and exuding DC easter egg after DC easter egg... the god tier music... the emotional ending, the hauntingly beautiful open. I really enjoyed it.

Is it the perfect portrayal of Superman? No. Am I still slightly annoyed they tried cramming Injustice along with Dark Knight Returns into a story without the Clark/Bruce friendship idea? A little. But as a comic book fan who knows there's multiple iterations of these stories, I really enjoyed it for what it was. Also that Warehouse seen and that final fight watching them triple team doomsday (each having their own strengths) was awe inspiring.

Penguin

And they shouldn't have hastily put out a trailer months ago because people are really damn antsy right now

They were being nice and put out the Comic Con footage online so it wouldn't leak

Folks can get antsy, but doesn't change fact 9 months out

Thor is out before it and we've seen nothing.

They were being nice and put out the Comic Con footage online so it wouldn't leak

We've seen Team Thor which did a better job at getting people excited about the movie than the JL footage.

LionPride

Banned

And people ain't getting antsy for a Thor trailer because he haven't seen footage yet, when he see footage people will be hype for it.

a916

We've seen Team Thor which did a better job at getting people excited about the movie than the JL footage.

That has little to do with the clip and more to do with the momentum of Marvel vs the momentum of DC films at the moment, if BVS was an Oscar contender you can bet your bottom dollar people would be anxious for JL.

It's unfathomable that some people think they NEED a trailer. Wanting a trailer? Sure everyone wants a trailer... does WB need a trailer? No. The diehards clamoring for one, want to see one yesterday.

The mass audience who will forget about the trailer in 1 month? There's no point marketing to them until it's closer to the film. They literally did that for BVS and it cost them. You release one trailer, then you need to up that last one... then you need to up that one too. They'd be in a race to keep one upping themselves that they'd trip and inadvertently show too much. Take a page from Star Wars and Thor, and show some damn confidence in your project and start the marketing when it matters most.

What's it matter when they start when they all end up doing three trailers anyways? Teaser, Trailer 1, and Trailer 2.

Batman v Superman got fucked because it got a 8 month delay because they suffered a 2 month delay with production. They got stuck trying to figure out how to fill out 18 months vs the typical marketing window.

LionPride

Banned
The only people who had any idea about the plot of The Force Awakens were people who spoiled themselves before hand, them trailers didn't really give out anything because they knew they were gonna make money.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I really really really hope they're smart enough to not show Superman at all in any of the trailers. If they want to flash his logo somewhere, that's fine, but for the love of god do not show him in full costume. The return of Superman should be special and an actual WOW moment. If they fucking spoil that in the trailers, I'm gonna be so fucking mad. In fact, they better not show anything from the final third of the movie either. If WB marketing fails to abide by even these simple rules, then they really have no clue on what fans want to see.

LionPride

Banned
Posting their Comic-Con footage is "hastily putting out a trailer"?

That's what that seemed to be, a very hastily put together trailer that had Icky Thump over it. Since then die hards have been chomping at the bit for another damn trailer while everyone else has forgotten for the time being. Because that's what happens

It would be great if Thor 3 was basically an extension of that skit. Why they hired waititi just to direct the movie is baffling. Such a dumb move.

He should have written it too, and hell get Rhys Darby to be the new odin and Jermaine Clement as new loki lol

Going full on goofy would be interesting for Thor. Because the first two already failed at being badass or engaging. Hopefully the focus on gladiator Hulk will make things more enjoyable

Ninjimbo

I will say this.

Most actions in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, makes perfectly sense in the context of the movie and it's characters. What people hate about that, is that it's just not how they would have done things. Which I can perfectly understand. I can enjoy this movie, but I wouldn't say its a good movie. But with my bias, at the end of the day, I would give the UC a 7/10, same as Man of Steel.

Suicide Squad is a 4/10.
I feel this is a good summation of where I wanted to take the conversation. BvS makes sense, but you have to accept a different depiction of these characters. If BvS came with an Elseworlds brand in the title screen, I wonder how it would have been received.

So you agree it's a failure on part of the movie?
I can't ever say that because it worked for a lot of people, including me. What do you do with that fact? I'd just go different strokes when assessing it.

Anyways, it's probably too late for ratings but here are mine just for the new guys to see where I stand.

MoS: 9/10

Among the top in terms of origin stories when it comes to these movies. It's mired by a few writing hiccups such as Goyer's dry ass dialogue, but overall, top notch. I waffle between this and Batman Begins.

BvS UC: 10/10

Crown Jewel of the genre. It's almost like a philosophical contemplation on the nature of superheroes. I don't have any complaints about it except that I never wanted it to end.

SS: 5/10

I've only seen it once. Ultimately it's a disappointment because the parts don't come together. Tremendous potential squandered, but the last act saves it.

Ashhong

Just watched Speed Racer again. The final race is better written, better directed, better edited, and just better in every way than any major blockbuster climax in recent memory. Marvel, DC, all of them. It's perfection, the build up to it so good and the pay off is immense. I don't care what they did lately, I would KILL for the Watchowskis to make a DCEU movie.

Edit: to add to this, those two HAVE to make a DCEU movie. They owe WB for having three massive bombs in a row, even if it wasn't all funded by WB. They are still super talented and would make the best movie of the universe imo. Can you imagine a Watchowski Batman? I'm thinking Matrix 1 style. Amazing. Or a Green Lantern movie?

firelogic

Just watched Speed Racer again. The final race is better written, better directed, better edited, and just better in every way than any major blockbuster climax in recent memory. Marvel, DC, all of them. It's perfection, the build up to it so good and the pay off is immense. I don't care what they did lately, I would KILL for the Watchowskis to make a DCEU movie.

Edit: to add to this, those two HAVE to make a DCEU movie. They owe WB for having three massive bombs in a row, even if it wasn't all funded by WB. They are still super talented and would make the best movie of the universe imo. Can you imagine a Watchowski Batman? I'm thinking Matrix 1 style. Amazing. Or a Green Lantern movie?

I would rather they did the Cyborg or Flash movies over Batman. I don't think they have the right feel for Snyder's Batman.

Ashhong

I would rather they did the Cyborg or Flash movies over Batman. I don't think they have the right feel for Snyder's Batman.

Was just throwing it out there, but I think they could do a gritty Batman, and it would be different from anything they've done. GL would be my second choice just to see what special effects they come up with

Ashhong

Yeah the last movie The Wachowskis made was Jupiter Ascending and that movie was a piece of shit so...

What was George Millers last movie before Fury Road? You don't just lose talent like that

I think history has shown us that people who have made bad movies in the past can make a good one, and also vice versa.

That's what that seemed to be, a very hastily put together trailer that had Icky Thump over it. Since then die hards have been chomping at the bit for another damn trailer while everyone else has forgotten for the time being. Because that's what happens

And they shouldn't have hastily put out a trailer months ago because people are really damn antsy right now

Thirsty internet fanboys acting like thirsty internet fanboys was going to happen whether or not a "hastily put-together" piece debuted at Comic-Con or not. Not a single thing would've changed had Warner Bros. decided not to release it.

LionPride

Banned
What was George Millers last movie before Fury Road? You don't just lose talent like that

I think history has shown us that people who have made bad movies in the past can make a good one, and also vice versa.

George Miller made Happy Feet and Happy Feet Two

You know what was good? Happy Feet

The last good movie The Wachowskis made? V for Vendetta. Their last few have been suspect at best and shit at worst

and if we just talk writing and directing, they haven't made a decent movie since Reloaded

guek

Banned

If we're going by last 3, both Happy Feet and Pig in the City were fantastic, you uncultured peasant!

wDlWKjDCTf2PC.gif

Also, I'll always give Wachowski's a shot. They haven't made a good movie in ages but I'd write them blank check to make another CBM in a heartbeat.

George Miller made Happy Feet and Happy Feet Two

You know what was good? Happy Feet

The last good movie The Wachowskis made? V for Vendetta. Their last few have been suspect at best and shit at worst

and if we just talk writing and directing, they haven't made a decent movie since Reloaded

They only wrote Vendetta though.

I'd argue they were one hit wonders with The Matrix.

Ninjimbo

Cloud Atlas was really good. I'll always give their stuff a shot. They've proven to me that they're willing to aim high and I can appreciate that.

LionPride

Banned
They only wrote Vendetta though.

I'd argue they were one hit wonders with The Matrix.

Same, I haven't seen Sense8, I have no interest to, but they ain't really done shit since 1999 with a movie that is fully their own

Reloaded - Aight
Revolutions - Trash
Speed Racer - Trash
Cloud Atlas - Double Trash
Jupiter Ascending - What the fuck yo

Ashhong

Also I'm saying is Speed Racer is a goddamn masterpiece you uncultured fools!

And Happy Feet Two was trash!

^ your opinion is now objecticely trash!

Ashhong

I watched Speed Racer, it's pretty...that's about it

You should give it another shot if it's been a while. Look past the colors. I will defend that movie until the end. The directing and storytelling in the first 15 minutes alone is miles beyond most movies

IconGrist

I can't say yay or nay on Jupiter Ascending because I haven't seen it. I don't do this on purpose but I find myself consistently skipping anything involving Channing Tatum.

LionPride

Banned
You should give it another shot if it's been a while. Look past the colors. I will defend that movie until the end. The directing and storytelling in the first 15 minutes alone is miles beyond most movies
Nah I'm straight, Speed Racer ain't exactly on the list of movies I care to seek out if it ain't readily available to me

Ashhong

I can't say yay or nay on Jupiter Ascending because I haven't seen it. I don't do this on purpose but I find myself consistently skipping anything involving Channing Tatum.

I can't think of any movie that he wasn't at least decent in. Except JA. That movie was just bad for everyone.

Nah I'm straight, Speed Racer ain't exactly on the list of movies I care to seek out if it ain't readily available to me

See, this is your problem Lion. You're lazy. Get outta here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom