• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

The Doomsday fight is kinda underrated. So many people dog it, but man, there's so many things going on there visually that are just fucking cool.

My favorite part is when he looks up at the statue of Superman and goes on to break it. I like to think there's still some Zod left in there and he's angry and confused and doesn't understand a lick of what's going on.

The dual heat visions... oh my god.

I still can't believe we are getting stills unsteady of a trailer. I'll take anything at this point, but I'm kinda getting annoyed with the long periods of radio silence.

guek

Banned
Justice-League-Wonder-Woman-Aquaman-Cyborg.jpg

Cyborgs gonna take some getting used too. But I understand the idea.

I like this shot much more than the other "look at something off screen" promo shots but yeah...cyborg could be better.

The Doomsday fight is kinda underrated. So many people dog it, but man, there's so many things going on there visually that are just fucking cool.

My favorite part is when he looks up at the statue of Superman and goes on to break it. I like to think there's still some Zod left in there and he's angry and confused and doesn't understand a lick of what's going on.

The Doomsday fight was visual garbage. Some nice ideas but so muddied and overly busy, it's hard to call it good. My biggest issue with how Snyder does action across most of his movies is he shoots nonstop "moments" instead of building the action, so it's just an endless barrage of shit that might look great as a gif or in a movie with more restraint but ultimately becomes pretty boring by its conclusion. For example, everything that happens in the MoS finale up to the neck snap might as well have not even occurred because there's no thematic build up to that scene. Neither combatant takes any damage, neither are fatigued, and all the action that happened up to that moment was pointless. The Doomsday fight is worse in that there are a lot of dumb distracting moments like plot-armor saving Batman, nuking Superman, and clarification that the streets are supposedly empty. Plus the atomic farts are just not great to look at.

At least it's something. Thor 3 comes out the same month and we have almost nothing on that.

However, you kind of expect that from Disney. It feels like they don't release their first trailer until they're like 8 months out from any particular movie. Warner Bros usually gets the ball rolling earlier.

Ninjimbo

I like this shot much more than the other "look at something off screen" promo shots but yeah...cyborg could be better.

The Doomsday fight was visual garbage. Some nice ideas but so muddied and overly busy, it's hard to call it good. My biggest issue with how Snyder does action across most of his movies is he shoots nonstop "moments" instead of building the action, so it's just an endless barrage of shit that might look great as a gif or in a movie with more restraint but ultimately becomes pretty boring by its conclusion. For example, everything that happens in the MoS finale up to the neck snap might as well have not even occurred because there's no thematic build up to that scene. Neither combatant takes any damage, neither are fatigued, and all the action that happened up to that moment was pointless. The Doomsday fight is worse in that there are a lot of dumb distracting moments like plot-armor saving Batman, nuking Superman, and clarification that the streets are supposedly empty. Plus the atomic farts are just not great to look at.
Can you give me an example of thematic build up cuz I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why should that matter?

Firemind

Now we're shitting on MoS smh

For example, everything that happens in the MoS finale up to the neck snap might as well have not even occurred because there's no thematic build up to that scene. Neither combatant takes any damage, neither are fatigued, and all the action that happened up to that moment was pointless.
I thought Zod learning to adapt to Earth's atmosphere and gaining the power of flight in a very short time when Clark needed twenty years of his life was pretty rad.

At least it's something. Thor 3 comes out the same month and we have almost nothing on that.

Expectations are out of whack for how early some of the marketing has been. BvS' first teaser was about a year ahead of release, same for Wonder Woman. Suicide Squad's first official trailer was around eight months. Doesn't help that for Suicide Squad and Justice League they showed off very early footage at SDCC.

That said, I fully expect it to be ahead of Kong Skull Island in March.

guek

Banned
Can you give me an example of thematic build up cuz I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why should that matter?
To steer away from CBMs because of the inevitable feelings it'll incite, look at something like the finale of Terminator 2. The T-800 gets its ass kicked because it's clearly outclassed by the T-1000. Sarah Conner almost beats the thing herself but runs out of ammo and gets taken hostage with John looking like he's going to take the bait. Everything looks hopeless up until the T-800 rides up the conveyor and is able to knock the other terminator into the molten steel. Afterwards, he jokes, "I need a vacation" because he looks like shit. Everyone looks like shit because they've just gone through the wringer. That's what action finale climaxes tend to strive for, because most action set pieces want you to feel like what you're watching is a struggle and any victories achieved are hard fought. In the case of T2, it makes thematic sense because one of the overarching themes of the movie is the inevitability of the future, so the final antagonist being this indestructible killing machine that's relentlessly beating down on the protagonists is perfectly fitting. Basically, the fight itself and everything that occurs during the fight itself should matter.

In both MoS and BvS, the moments leading up to the climax don't make any difference to the heroes because they're literally invincible.

I thought Zod learning to adapt to Earth's atmosphere and gaining the power of flight in a very short time when Clark needed twenty years of his life was pretty rad.

Ok, this part did slip my mind. That was pretty fun to see.

IconGrist

To steer away from CBMs because of the inevitable feelings it'll incite, look at something like the finale of Terminator 2. The T-800 gets its ass kicked because it's clearly outclassed by the T-1000. Sarah Conner almost beats the thing herself but runs out of ammo and gets taken hostage with John looking like he's going to take the bait. Everything looks hopeless up until the T-800 rides up the conveyor and is able to knock the other terminator into the molten steel. Afterwards, he jokes, "I need a vacation" because he looks like shit. Everyone looks like shit because they've just gone through the wringer. That's what action finale climaxes tend to strive for, because most action set pieces want you to feel like what you're watching is a struggle and any victories achieved are hard fought. In the case of T2, it makes thematic sense because one of the overarching themes of the movie is the inevitability of the future, so the final antagonist being this indestructible killing machine that's relentlessly beating down on the protagonists is perfectly fitting. Basically, the fight itself and everything that occurs during the fight itself should matter.

In both MoS and BvS, the moments leading up to the climax don't make any difference to the heroes because they're literally invincible.

I'm not sure how that's a Snyder problem. That's a character problem. Superman, Zod, Wonder Woman and Doomsday are all crazy hard to damage. Snyder really shouldn't be blamed for the nature of the characters on the screen. 300 and Dawn of the Dead show he understands what you're describing. Sucker Punch doesn't really fit that because all of those battles took part in a 2nd layer dream state and MoS/BvS involved impervious characters.

guek

Banned
I'm not sure how that's a Snyder problem. That's a character problem. Superman, Zod, Wonder Woman and Doomsday are all crazy hard to damage. Snyder really shouldn't be blamed for the nature of the characters on the screen. 300 and Dawn of the Dead show he understands what you're describing. Sucker Punch doesn't really fit that because all of those battles took part in a 2nd layer dream state and MoS/BvS involved impervious characters.

I'd say Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen are where he does what I'm describing best. I get that these characters are super hard to damage but it's not like they're actually invincible. They're kicked down all the time in the comics, and it's well established that Superman actually has a finite amount of stamina.

Ninjimbo

I'd say Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen are where he does what I'm describing best. I get that these characters are super hard to damage but it's not like they're actually invincible. They're kicked down all the time in the comics, and it's well established that Superman actually has a finite amount of stamina.
What did you think of the Batman warehouse scene?

IconGrist

Yes, and Doomsday stabbed a giant spike through Superman's chest which was a result of Wonder Woman cutting Doomsday's arm off. I get what you're getting at here and you have a decent case for MoS (though I would argue the lack of physical damage was intentional for the build up of Zod's death).

guek

Banned
What did you think of the Batman warehouse scene?

It's a pretty good bit of action.

Sorry if I came across like I believe Snyder can't do action. He can do action quite well, I just think he sometimes loses the plot, i.e., the purpose behind the action.

Ninjimbo

It's a pretty good bit of action.

Sorry if I came across like I believe Snyder can't do action. He can do action quite well, I just think he sometimes loses the plot, i.e., the purpose behind the action.
You're good guek. No hard feelings here.

I think what Icon said has merit here. It's Superman. If you watch the JL cartoon, Superman went through stuff like you're describing and I remember people complaining about it. Saying that Superman was too weak. It's a tricky balance for Snyder to juggle cuz he is supposed to be God like. How far does that go?

It's an interesting observation for sure tho.

a916

LOL there's a person in the thread saying DC fans will defend anything... oh god, we now have a persecution complex on the other end of the spectrum lol.

BadAss2961

It's funny you say that when all the literally invincible guys are dead right now. lol

Zod even took an L in his first fight on screen to Supes' daddy.

Bleepey

BVS had Superman start the fight scarred after almost dying.
He's Thrown around by Doomsday
Launched into space and takes a hit from a Nuke which knocks him out and he is left to recover through the use of the suns light
Finally Doomsday is killed by Wonder Woman binding him, Batman's too far away to take the spear but is able to take a shot, the fight ends with Superman spearing Doomsday because he's the only one who can do anything and he's selfless.

I don't get where people say there isn't build up?

BVS had Superman start the fight scarred after almost dying.
He's Thrown around by Doomsday
Launched into space and takes a hit from a Nuke which knocks him out and he is left to recover through the use of the suns light
Finally Doomsday is killed by Wonder Woman binding him, Batman's too far away to take the spear but is able to take a shot, the fight ends with Superman spearing Doomsday because he's the only one who can do anything and he's selfless.

I don't get where people say there isn't build up?

The usual. Negative talking points.

LOL there's a person in the thread saying DC fans will defend anything... oh god, we now have a persecution complex on the other end of the spectrum lol.

Well, DC fans defended Martha...

That new pic looks boss aside from Cyborg, obviously. Hoping for Wan to give us more topless Aquaman action though.

Well, DC fans defended Martha...

That new pic looks boss aside from Cyborg, obviously. Hoping for Wan to give us more topless Aquaman action though.

Martha is a decent idea that was executed horribly.

There is a defense force for everything. Don't get too worked up over it. Also, this is fucking entertainment, if someone likes Cyborg, let him be.

SJRB

Gold Member
God that Empire thread is so fucking salty, good lord. Terrible.

I'm just browsing to see if there's new info, but all it has is 100 "this is shit lol" posts.

GeeTeeCee

I hate bringing up the whole ridiculous Marvel/DC thing GAF has going on (seriously, we're not fucking children), but it's hilarious watching people getting pissy in the GotG 2 thread when someone else says they don't like it ("well if you don't like it, don't comment!), and then those posters will then go shitpost in a DC/Fox/whoever thread about how much they aren't looking forward to something, completely unaware of the irony.

Frankly, fanboys have ruined comic book movies for me as much as the quality of any of the films ever did. I don't care if it's Marvel, DC or Fox anymore: the amount of childish bullshit that comes along with it is ridiculous.

okdakor

People hate what they don't understand.

Maybe we should link these people to the official analysis so they can get all the hidden meanings of the movie ?

You know...

Superman is Christ, Moby Dick, King Arthur, Zorro, JFK, The White Rabbit/Bugs Bunny, the Classical hero.
Batman is Ahab, a vampire, Lancelot, Charles Foster Kane, Dr. Bill Hartford, John the Baptist, the tortured soul seeking redemption.
Doomsday is a fire-breathing dragon, King Kong, a falling meteorite, a nuclear holocaust, the mythical Hydra, Mordred, the monster inside oneself.
The Kryptonite spear is Excalibur, Longinus, Zeus' thunderbolt, Ahab's harpoon, Zorro's rapier, Alexander the Great's sword, dispassionate power and judgement.
Lex is The Joker, The Mad Hatter, Elmer Fudd, Oedipus, Icarus, Salome, the Tragic cynic.
etc...

Frankly, fanboys have ruined comic book movies for me as much as the quality of any of the films ever did. I don't care if it's Marvel, DC or Fox anymore: the amount of childish bullshit that comes along with it is ridiculous.

I completely agree and share the sentiment. All my life I've been an avid consumer of CBM either Marvel, DC or others. For us general peeps they were all just superhero movies. Some were good some were bad, but people usually just shrugged off and moved on with their lives.

But I finally realised how serious people take these things when I saw Gaffers actively celebrating a movie's critical failure back when BvS came out. It was insane how much of a "Us vs Them" mentality was going on.

It's okay to like some things better than others, sure, that's what makes life interesting, but when it's borderline fanaticism It becomes tiresome and childish.

Sambrez_

Same for me. I've always been a DC fan since my childhood, the Reeves movies, Burton even if I don't like them. But i'm also the first in line the day the Marvel movies release, because I just love comic book movies. And I can be critical about them, but never to the point where I want them to failed, or never release ever again.
Unfortunately it's just not gaf, it's everwhere, but I kind of don't care, my friends and family loved the DCEU movies.
My wife couldn't come with me for Suicide Squad (pregnancy, didn't want to go and see some violent movies just before giving birth), so she had to wait the BR release. When she saw it she told me "You were joking when you said that the movie wasn't really good right ? Just so I wasn't disappinted for not coming with you ? Because I loved it!". Well... it's not my wife by chance :) but for me that's how far other opinions matter on the comic book movies.

If you can't handle dissenting opinions from other people (from both sides) and they're ruining your enjoyment of those movies, message boards might not be for you.

In other news, Matt Reeves following Johns got me unreasonably hyped.

Yager

Banned
If you can't handle dissenting opinions from other people (from both sides) and they're ruining your enjoyment of those movies, message boards might not be for you.

In other news, Matt Reeves following Johns got me unreasonably hyped.

One thing is dissenting opinions, the other are constant shitposts (and these come from both sides). That's why I almost never post in CBM threads but stick to this beautiful family. Everybody can say whatever the hell wants in here, either if he likes DCEU movies or not. Except for Raptor, his opinions suck.

Ninjimbo

I mean...
It's a good idea and was executed admirably. Snyder hints at Martha for the entire movie. It's just that people didn't notice it because there's so much other stuff going on that it's hard to catch if you're not paying attention and putting the pieces together.

You still have people misreading that whole scene to this day.

One thing is dissenting opinions, the other are constant shitposts (and these come from both sides). That's why I almost never post in CBM threads but stick to this beautiful family. Everybody can say whatever the hell wants in here, either if he likes DCEU movies or not. Except for Raptor, his opinions suck.

I'm more annoyed by people only posting overused RLM gifs than shitposting tbh.

It's a good idea and was executed admirably. Snyder hints at Martha for the entire movie. It's just that people didn't notice it because there's so much other stuff going on that it's hard to catch if you're not paying attention and putting the pieces together.

Sure, fam. Keep telling yourself that people didn't understand.

Bleepey

The thing is you could draw up a list of all the reasons the Martha scene makes sense. The fact he is clearly trying to say save Martha Kent but he was being choked at the time, the fact it's Batman the poster child for dead parents by Super hero origin, the fact it's his father's dying word, the fact you see a flashback of his parents dying and people will ignore it. Why would Superman say save Martha instead of save mum? Because he's trying to say Save Martha Kent. If you want someone to find someone a you have two seconds to do so, saying their full name makes sense. I recall when the film was released people were saying the fight ended in a stupid way and when I watched it I was confused as to how people found it weird Batman would be triggered by a guy being selfless and pleading for somebody else's life as he lays dying. That said this is a film where people's idea of a plothole is why Wonder Woman who was binding Doomsday at the time with that giant glowing lasso didn't pick up the spear or use her sword. People weren't paying attention or are being stubborn.

IconGrist

You're being a bit obtuse. There are people who didn't like that being the conclusion to the fight. He's not talking about those in general. But there are, in fact, several people who have described why they disliked that scene and missed the point entirely. This is not something Ninjimbo made up. I have personally seen people drastically misread that scene. I'm not arguing whether the scene was good or bad. It is what it is and people will take from it what they will.

okdakor

That said this is a film where people's idea of a plothole is why Wonder Woman who was binding Doomsday at the time with that giant glowing lasso didn't pick up the spear or use her sword

Maybe because she was doing pretty good, one on one, with her sword, even cutting one of Doomsday's limbs... Throw her the spear and let her do a crazy amazonian combo

Ninjimbo

I'm more annoyed by people only posting overused RLM gifs than shitposting tbh.

Sometimes people don't understand immediately. It happens. I had friends asking me to explain Inception to them. That's a movie that goes out of its way to explain itself for about 90 minutes to set up the heist and you still had some confused about what was going on. BvS is a pretty dense movie with a lot of ideas. It lends itself well to a rewatch to see how it all fits together.

Just to be clear, I don't think it's an indictment on the viewer if they don't understand. Sometimes you just won't. I still don't understand why There Will Be Blood is considered incredible, for example. And I've watched that movie like four times.

IconGrist

Maybe because she was doing pretty good, one on one, with her sword, even cutting one of Doomsday's limbs... Throw her the spear and let her do a crazy amazonian combo

I've said this before but "Why didn't Superman give Wonder Woman the spear" is probably my most hated complaint. So many people complain about this Superman not being Superman and then scratch their head wondering why he does a Superman thing.

Ninjimbo

I've said this before but "Why didn't Superman give Wonder Woman the spear" is probably my most hated complaint. So many people complain about this Superman not being Superman and then scratch their head wondering why he does a Superman thing.
Yeah, that's always annoying. They also conveniently ignore Superman saving Lex's ass from Doomsday's fist. That to me was pure Superman.

My most hated BvS complaint is when people call it "Self-important". Hate that with a passion. You can literally lob that complaint at any movie that tried taking things seriously. It also sort of implies that superhero movies shouldn't aspire to be anything more than silly little action romps. I don't know where it comes from.

I think this is what people are doing to have an argument on their side. Applying fake logic.

BadAss2961

I hate bringing up the whole ridiculous Marvel/DC thing GAF has going on (seriously, we're not fucking children), but it's hilarious watching people getting pissy in the GotG 2 thread when someone else says they don't like it ("well if you don't like it, don't comment!), and then those posters will then go shitpost in a DC/Fox/whoever thread about how much they aren't looking forward to something, completely unaware of the irony.

Ha, GotG. I saw guys get pissy in the worst CBM scenes ever thread when the dance-off was brought up.

GotG seems to have this reverse thing going on where the worse it looks, the dumber it gets, the more they love it.

Bleepey

Yeah, that's always annoying. They also conveniently ignore Superman saving Lex's ass from Doomsday's fist. That to me was pure Superman.

My most hated BvS complaint is when people call it "Self-important". Hate that with a passion. You can literally lob that complaint at any movie that tried taking things seriously. It also sort of implies that superhero movies shouldn't aspire to be anything more than silly little action romps. I don't know where it comes from.

Snyder's Superman is selfless even to the guy who tortured and kidnapped his mother, used his girlfriend as bait, threw her of a building. and fucked with him throughout the movie. #NotMySuperman #SupermanInNameOnly

You're being a bit obtuse. There are people who didn't like that being the conclusion to the fight. He's not talking about those in general. But there are, in fact, several people who have described why they disliked that scene and missed the point entirely. This is not something Ninjimbo made up. I have personally seen people drastically misread that scene. I'm not arguing whether the scene was good or bad. It is what it is and people will take from it what they will.

I'm not being obtuse at all. I just think the "people don't understand" defense is completely misplaced as far as the Martha scene is concerned. BvS has a lot of stuff in it that can be difficult to grasp at first (some of which has been fixed by the Ultimate Cut) but the Martha scene is terrible dialogue, period. People misunderstanding it is a direct effect of that, not the other way around.

Sometimes people don't understand immediately. It happens. I had friends asking me to explain Inception to them. That's a movie that goes out of its way to explain itself for about 90 minutes to set up the heist and you still had some confused about what was going on. BvS is a pretty dense movie with a lot of ideas. It lends itself well to a rewatch to see how it all fits together.

Just to be clear, I don't think it's an indictment on the viewer if they don't understand. Sometimes you just won't. I still don't understand why There Will Be Blood is considered incredible, for example. And I've watched that movie like four times.

So you agree it's a failure on part of the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom