• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full image from Total Film.

Abg0Ktk.jpg

And on the cover...
I1VZuAn.jpg

(why)

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
She looks as if someone fucked up her order at a 7-Eleven.

I criticized the heels before but there's an interview with Patty Jenkins where she says, paraphrasing, "fuck off. I like high heels." So point made.

lol..Come on, man. Nothing clear about it

"You're letting him kill Martha" *Gargle* "Find him. Save Martha."

Plenty of time to to say Martha Kent, homie. Some folks call their mom/mum by their first name..both my sisters sure did. The scene was silly to myself and many others. It happens.

I mean, I'd give it to you if you could actually hear a K sound struggling to come out of his mouth. No such thing happens..just watched the scene three times to be sure..

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
lol..Come on, man. Nothing clear about it

"You're letting him kill Martha" *Gargle* "Find him. Save Martha."

Plenty of time to to say Martha Kent, homie. Some folks call their mom/mum by their first name..both my sisters sure did. The scene was silly to myself and many others. It happens.

I mean, I'd give it to you if you could actually hear a K sound struggling to come out of his mouth. No such thing happens..just watched the scene three times to be sure..

'Save Martha.....k..k..cunt"

BadAss2961

Yeah I never got the impression that he was trying to say Kent.

Clark referring to his mother as Martha is a little questionable, but the scene still worked for me.

Yeah I never got the impression that he was trying to say Kent.

Clark referring to his mother as Martha is a little questionable, but the scene still worked for me.

Sure..but it's clearly placed there for the big change of heart moment for Bruce. It's not that I don't understand who he is. What motivates him. Why he wears the bat outfit. I just really dislike that THAT was the show stopper..just so silly, IMO of course.

guek

Banned
Kinda impressive how cyborg looks a little worse every time we see him (and Aquaman looks a little better every time)

Sure..but it's clearly placed there for the big change of heart moment for Bruce. It's not that I don't understand who he is. What motivates him. Why he wears the bat outfit. I just really dislike that THAT was the show stopper..just so silly, IMO of course.

I've always thought Martha was the initial trigger only. Batman still seemed intent on killing Superman in spite of it, hell I think it made him even more angry and deranged than before.

For me I guess the real stopper is when Lois comes in. Suddenly this alien creature who "wasn't a God, not even a Man" has a mother and apparently a girlfriend pleading for his life, like a regular human being.

But I can totally understand why it looks like Martha was all it took, the script made sure of hammering in that name every chance it got.

I've always thought Martha was the initial trigger only. Batman still seemed intent on killing Superman in spite of it, hell I think it made him even more angry and deranged than before.

For me I guess the real stopper is when Lois comes in. Suddenly this alien creature who "wasn't a God, not even a Man" has a mother and apparently a girlfriend pleading for his life, like a regular human being.

But I can totally understand why it looks like Martha was all it took, the script made sure of hammering in that name every chance it got.

Yes. The first time he heard the name it definitely knocked some of the wind out his sails. You see him become flustered and overwhelmed. Dude was just about to skewer this man and he says his mother's name..he looked around like he was on Candid Camera lol..

And yeah, Lois was the final thing that stopped him after the Martha pause..I can agree there.

a916

That's pretty much what I got out of it during the first watch. It's weird to so so many people see it the other way.

SJRB

Gold Member
Random thought: has the track that plays during Bruce's training montage in BvS ever been released?

That whole sequence is hype as fuck, such a weird omission from the OST.

That's pretty much what I got out of it during the first watch. It's weird to so so many people see it the other way.

It's because Martha being uttered slammed the brakes on the entire thing. Sure, when Lois explains that it's his mother's name it ends the fight. But Martha was the equivalent of a hypnotist telling you a secret phrase that would make you forget you were just acting like a dog.

This dude was one second away from ending his life..then nada.

I have my problems with the movie but I actually like that sequence. It works for the batman they gave us in the film. Movie opens with his nightmare of his parents murder and establishes that he has it regularly.

Then couple that with batman just losing himself in the last few years and going more extreme with his methods.

So when he's about to resort to murdering somebody face to face and then gets reminded of his parents death it's like a PTSD trigger or some shit. And also makes him realize how badly he's been fucking up as batman as of late

Ben's confused face was hilarious but it worked for what they intended imo.

IconGrist

It's because Martha being uttered slammed the brakes on the entire thing. Sure, when Lois explains that it's his mother's name it ends the fight. But Martha was the equivalent of a hypnotist telling you a secret phrase that would make you forget you were just acting like a dog.

This dude was one second away from ending his life..then nada.

PTSD will do some weird shit to you.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Because it is, it felt forced with him calling her Martha instead of mom or something like that. Also, they sold Batfleck's rage too well so seeing him turn like that was a bit jarring.

Thing is everything around it made it work for me; how it was shot, the score, Batfleck owning it and the idea itself of having this shit trigger him and see it from another perspective as if he was Joe Chill this time around. Dug that shit.

PTSD will do some weird shit to you.

Just ask Cap.

'BUUUUUUCKKYYY'

Because it is, it felt forced with him calling her Martha instead of mom or something like that. Also, they sold Batfleck's rage too well so seeing him turn like that was a bit jarring.

Thing is everything around it made it work for me; how it was shot, the score, Batfleck owning it and the idea itself of having this shit trigger him and see it from another perspective as if he was Joe Chill this time around. Dug that shit.

Absolutely agree with the bolded. It was a "No. What?! lol..No." moment for the wife and I when that shit happened. What can do. Some folks will dig it and some won't. Shouldn't take away from anyone's enjoyment of the movie..

Just ask Cap.

'BUUUUUUCKKYYY'

LMAO Horrible..

I still contend Martha was used because why would he tell a mad man about to kill him about his mom? In that situation, it'd be the last thing I'd do.

Oh hey, you want to kill me cause I'm an alien, you don't know if my mom is an alien or not, but I should put her at risk and tell you to save her!

I still contend Martha was used because why would he tell a mad man about to kill him about his mom? In that situation, it'd be the last thing I'd do.

Oh hey, you want to kill me cause I'm an alien, you don't know if my mom is an alien or not, but I should put her at risk and tell you to save her!

Makes sense to me.

I will say this.

Most actions in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, makes perfectly sense in the context of the movie and it's characters. What people hate about that, is that it's just not how they would have done things. Which I can perfectly understand. I can enjoy this movie, but I wouldn't say its a good movie. But with my bias, at the end of the day, I would give the UC a 7/10, same as Man of Steel.

Suicide Squad is a 4/10.

I will say this.

Most actions in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, makes perfectly sense in the context of the movie and it's characters. What people hate about that, is that it's just not how they would have done things. Which I can perfectly understand. I can enjoy this movie, but I wouldn't say its a good movie. But with my bias, at the end of the day, I would give the UC a 7/10, same as Man of Steel.

Suicide Squad is a 4/10.

I gave Theatrical a 6 and bumped UC .5 for the added 30 minutes. SS gets a 3 from me..very much disliked that movie.

BvS 7/10

Man of Steel 5/10. Pretty much the average for comic book movies

Suicide Squad 1/10. Garbage. It gets a point for having stuff like sound and visuals and dialogue.

I guess I will say that for me what really hurts the battle between those two isn't so much how it ended but how it started.

Superman clearly had time to tell Batman what was going on numerous times after Batman first sprung those traps, but for the movie's sake that wouldn't fly(pun intended) because then there would be no fight.

IconGrist

I guess I will say that for me what really hurts the battle between those two isn't so much how it ended but how it started.

Superman clearly had time to tell Batman what was going on numerous times after Batman first sprung those traps, but for the movie's sake that wouldn't fly(pun intended) because then there would be no fight.

And thus the inherent problem of pitting Batman against Superman. No matter what they tried it would still involve shenanigans. Pitting Batman against someone that powerful will always come out looking stupid regardless of who wins. Batman wins = "How?", Powerful meta/god = "Why bother with the fight in the first place?"

And thus the inherent problem of pitting Batman against Superman. No matter what they tried it would still involve shenanigans. Pitting Batman against someone that powerful will always come out looking stupid regardless of who wins. Batman wins = "How?", Powerful meta/god = "Why bother with the fight in the first place?"

Exactly, even If you throw some "brainwashing" for Superman of some sorts would open up another can of worms entirely

Both BvS: Dawn of Justice and Man of Steel are like 5-6/10 movies for me. I kinda see them like Iron Man 2: Got some cool shit in there but also a lot of garbo that makes them almost unwatchable.

BvS:UC is a 7/10 (aka Age of Ultron tier). Fixed a lot of things from the TC that make it a better, more coherent movie that is still kept from being truly good because of stupid quirks by the director. Which reminds me that I'd really like to see an Age of Ultron DX.

Suicide Squad is an insult to humanity. 1/10. Barely even a movie.

Some men can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

After Bruce doesn't even flinch at the mention of his name, you know he's fully committed to the cause.

Scores?

Man of Steel: 8/10
Batman v Superman Theatrical Cut: 7/10
Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut: 7.75/10
Suicide Squad: 5.5/10 (I saw I gave it a 6/10 back in August)

JdFoX187

Banned
Yeah, that's always annoying. They also conveniently ignore Superman saving Lex's ass from Doomsday's fist. That to me was pure Superman.
I'm ashamed to admit it took my third watch of the Ultimate Cut -- fifth overall -- to pick up on the parallels between Luthor's earlier rant, "No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from daddy's fist and abominations" and Clark stopping that punch.

Scores:

Man of Steel: 8.5/10
Batman v. Superman TC: 7/10
Batman v. Superman UC: 9/10
Suicide Squad: 7.5/10

Setsuna

These ratings are garbage

Man of Steel is a B
Batman vs Superman UC is a B
Suicide Squad D (only reason its a D is because it has almost NO action scenes worth re watching)

IconGrist

I'm ashamed to admit it took my third watch of the Ultimate Cut -- fifth overall -- to pick up on the parallels between Luthor's earlier rant, "No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from daddy's fist and abominations" and Clark stopping that punch.

Scores:

Man of Steel: 8.5/10
Batman v. Superman TC: 7/10
Batman v. Superman UC: 9/10
Suicide Squad: 7.5/10

Lex had a lot of great lines. "The shortest path to Superman is through a little road called Lois Lane." His word play was on point. "You're going to be on the hot seat in there, June Bug!"

Anyway... SCORES!

Man of Steel: 8/10
Batman v Superman TC: 6/10
Batman v Superman UC: 7/10
Suicide Squad TC: 5/10
Suicide Squad EC: 4/10

BvS:UC 8.5/10
MoS 8/10
BvS: TC 5/10
SS 5/10

Regarding the Martha scene, I actually like if not love the idea. The only thing I dislike is Batman's turn from aaarrgghh I'm going to fucking kill you to I promise I'll help you is a little too abrupt. I can see where the "now all of a sudden they're friends" complaint comes from. There should have been something in between. Or have Batman say that while he will help find Superman's mum, he still doesn't fully trust him. Have Superman's death be the thing that wins Batman over.

Effect

Huh. Mix up or no?

I've seen a few people go that way. UC makes the film more of a Superman film. While the TC is more Batman focused because a good deal of Clark's scenes were cut. Makes that rumor that WB wanted more of a Batman focus seem more true when you think about it.

Guess I'll give mine.

MoS: 8.5
BvS UC: 9
BvS TC 7.5 to 8 (was higher but dropped it lower after seeing the UC)
SS: 7 (how I usually rank most comic book films. It has its issues but was still very enjoyable. I rank MoS and BvS above it easily. I haven't watched the extended cut of it yet. However going what I've heard about the additions of the extended cut I could imagine that coming in at a 6 or less depending how I react to certain things.

I can only go into the 5s and below if there are actual problems with the film making process. By that I mean camera work, horrible acting when it comes to reading lines, etc, no logic sense or narrative structure at all. Each film can set up it's own logic though. I don't think I've ever crapped on a film simply because I didn't like the story or how things played out. I don't really care for Captain America: First Avengers or Thor 1 story wise and even character wise. They're likely at the lowest of my rankings and if I had to give a number they'd be around the 6 or 7 range. They're solidly put together films though. I look at this the same way I do games. Anything below a 5 has to be broken gameplay wise. There are objective and subjective parts of anything. I look at the solidly objective things first. If I push up on the joystick does my character does move for example. That's not subjective, it either does or doesn't. Do the buttons do as intended without fail. For a film is the camera work done well. It either is or isn't. It's either done well or amateurish. It either has appropriate scale for a film and location or looks like a TV episode and even then that has it's own scale. Then I get into the acting, dialogue, story and then if I personally liked it or not. I don't like letting my personal like of a story override everything else. That doesn't seem appropriate at all. There are so many aspect of a film and to ignore them all has always felt wrong to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom