• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Ships Over 2 Million Copies

SonicBoom said:
Played over my buddies roomate and I'm so happy this game is getting the hype + sales.... It sure does deserve it. Way to go Techland :D
NOT sales, shipped so that means to retailers.
Maybe they are sitting on copies.

Saty

"With more than a million copies sold, I feel good knowing that the world is now more prepared than ever for what to do should a real zombie invasion ever threaten humanity." said Mike Fischer, president and CEO of Square Enix, Inc.
So does that mean the game shipped 1 million copies in the U.S. and 1 million copies in the rest of the world? (SE being only the North America distributer).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
legend166 said:
Didn't we hear the same thing about Deus Ex? And it sold 240k in the US.

you say like the world = US. Hate to break it to you...

Ledsen said:
So you're an elitist asshole, now we know. Thanks! And you haven't even played the game.

only NOW???

ZombieSupaStar said:
lol @ butthurt people.

good it sold well, hope they make 12093812938721937 more zombie games!

Gez said:
Good for you, how about you play the game and then post next time?

it's not about the game, it's about reasons of its popularity

Twinduct

Despite the rocky launch, I'm honestly pleased by this. Game is huge and it completely nails the melee combat. Hell the last time I felt this awesome with a melee weapon was in Dark Messiah.

Still wish they left in the original gore system though. Need some Soldier of fortune up in here!

Well deserved.

Momo said:
Off topic, but is this safe to buy yet? No game breaking bugs etc? My questions keep getting drowned out in the OT.

Console or PC works for me.
I'm playing co-op with a friend on 360, and we haven't had any major problems during the 10-12 hours we've played so far.

Wurdfurd

butter_stick said:
The power of a bullshit trailer that has nothing to do with your game.
Never seen trailer you speak of, bought game. Your logic is invalid.

Word of mouth on the internet and from some friends made me buy this game. The fact it is a fantastic game caused said word of mouth and hype.

R1CHO said:
Nothing is a bit too much dont you think?

Practically nothing.

I've not played the game yet (waiting for the Steam sale) but that trailer was just dumb, yet it got all kinds of mainstream attention. From what I hear the PC version isn't really worth my time yet anyway.

butter_stick said:
Practically nothing.

I've not played the game yet (waiting for the Steam sale) but that trailer was just dumb, yet it got all kinds of mainstream attention. From what I hear the PC version isn't really worth my time yet anyway.

It has everything to do with the game. It just doesn't show gameplay since it's a CG trailer...

radicalchris

Neo Member
Enjoyed the game but wish they included this:

- Creating my own survivor.
- A hardcore mode where a zombie bite or scratch would turn you.
- Equipable equipment and clothing giving armor bonuses to zombie bites.

Anyway fun game.

Good on them.

The game is a masterpiece. I hesitated about a week to finally buy it, and when I did I was like "WTF?!" because I didn't find any of the bugs/jank/rough-edges people were crying about. The only tweak I *needed* to do was VSync and that was easy.

It's the best zombie game I've played.

Wurdfurd

daviyoung said:
I think it's funny that the best zombie game ever made is itself a half-rotting bug-infested corpse.
You have some actual points to your opinion or are you just going to keep hating on it with no explanation?

daviyoung

Banned
dropshock said:
You have some actual points to your opinion or are you just going to keep hating on it with no explanation?

I'm not hating, I'm really enjoying the game. It's so bad in terms of polish though, in my 20 hours playing I've encountered numerous quest and mini-map bugs, graphical glitches, gameplay glitches. I've encountered terrible voice acting, awful hit detection, terrible vehicle controls. And it's still my favourite zombie game. Probably one of my favourite zombie-related things ever actually.

radicalchris said:
Enjoyed the game but wish they included this:

- A hardcore mode where a zombie bite or scratch would turn you.
That would make the game impossible to beat. There is no way you can get through the whole game without taking damage from a zombie.

Wurdfurd

daviyoung said:
I'm not hating, I'm really enjoying the game. It's so bad in terms of polish though, in my 20 hours playing I've encountered numerous quest and mini-map bugs, graphical glitches, gameplay glitches. I've encountered terrible voice acting, awful hit detection, terrible vehicle controls. And it's still my favourite zombie game. Probably one of my favourite zombie-related things ever actually.
Alright, seemed like you were hating lol. I've played it for only 5 or 6 hours on 360 and for a studio I've never heard of I'm impressed. And I'm sure they will continue to patch serious bugs as necessary.

MRORANGE said:

That is absolutely hilarious.

On topic - it's well deserved and I am glad it did well. Yes, the PC version is a terrible port and from a technical point of view, the game is a complete mess. To put it frankly, the sheer number of amateurish mistakes and oversights probably boggles the mind of everyone who was ever involved in a software project. But, in the end, if you give the game a chance and invest some time to get rid of the biggest issues yourself, the game gets pretty brilliant.

Now obviously that is not how it is supposed to be. Developers should fix their shit themselves or preferably just don't deliver a hilariously bad port to begin with. Some might have wished for a failure as some kind of example and I can absolutely understand that. It would have been a pity for the gem hidden inside this technical trainwreck, though.

wwm0nkey

Well Dead Island 2 is going to happen now and I am ready for that!

Dead Island was a blast, it had its issues but it is probably my favorite zombie game. Act II was just awesome.

daviyoung said:
I'm not hating, I'm really enjoying the game. It's so bad in terms of polish though, in my 20 hours playing I've encountered numerous quest and mini-map bugs, graphical glitches, gameplay glitches. I've encountered terrible voice acting, awful hit detection, terrible vehicle controls. And it's still my favourite zombie game.

On 360 and 20 hours of playing time (most on coop) i never seen a glitch... i know, i'm lucky and you are right... but we have to bear in mind this: Dead Island is not a triple A production. Developers made an awesome game with only a small amount of money most of the big developers tend to spend.

Wurdfurd

AndyMoogle said:
There is no way you can get through the whole game without taking damage from a zombie.
challenge-accepted4.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Calcaneus said:
Shouln't we be happy that a solid new IP is doing well?
It didn't sell well yet. Retailers likely just overestimated the popularity of Dead Island. It will price crash in a few months when they want to clear store shelves for the holiday season.

I really wanna buy this for PS3 when it goes under 30 quid (I rarely pay more than that anymore unless a game is in my personal god tier e.g. new Uncharted, Mirror's Edge 2), but the fact that it's out of stock everywhere is keeping the price up :(
Dance In My Blood said:
It didn't sell well yet. Retailers likely just overestimated the popularity of Dead Island. It will price crash in a few months when they want to clear store shelves for the holiday season.
It didn't sell well even though it's out of stock in multiple places?

Woo-Fu

Banned
subversus said:
I'm not talking about Dead Island, I heard it's good, I'll buy it but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex.
Having played ~80% through each game so far I have to agree with you, Dead Island isn't in the same ballpark as Deus Ex.

Dead Island has been the better game so far, by a fairly large margin.

Dance In My Blood said:

Game is sold out in several places.

subversus

Woo-Fu said:
Dead Island has been the better game so far, by a fairly large margin.

I'm not talking about your personal preferences. This game is worse than Deus Ex just because it's a bad, not adapted for PC buggy port and Deus Ex is not. Also it's just buggy on all platforms and production values seem to be worse in general.

when I'll play it I might like it better than Deus Ex, still it will be an inferior game.

dropshock said:

You in a little bit:

tumblr_lr170qcnwX1qd5q21.jpg

subversus said:
I'm not talking about your personal preferences. This game is worse than Deus Ex just because it's a bad, not adapted for PC buggy port and Deus Ex is not. Also it's just buggy on all platforms and production values seem to be worse in general.

when I'll play it I might like it better than Deus Ex, still it will be an inferior game.
What a load of shit subversus. Deus Ex has it's fair share of bugs, it crashes alot on DX11, it has a wireframe bug on 4xxx cards and it runs like shit considering the graphics it has. And what production values? Dead Island is the better looking AND sounding game and it runs better then Deus Ex. Character models aren't even in the same league as Deus Ex. Voicework? Apart from one or two people Deus Ex is at about the same level then Dead Island, some even worst. Dead Island is a TRUE open world game, Deus Ex isn't. And at least in Dead Island I don't have to sit through awful compressed fmvs using the game engine... That just reeks of low production values.

subversus said:

If your gonna rate how good a game is based on its production values then LA Noire must be the best game of all time.

Dragon

Banned
subversus said:
hahahaha

a B-rated zombie game (new IP btw) ships the same quantity as the critically acclaimed, polished and just great sequel to one of the most famous franchises.

People's tastes are pathetic. Nobody should whine that we get shitty mass produced games.

I'm not talking about Dead Island, I heard it's good, I'll buy it but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex. I bet people bought it because there are zombies!!!!!

Oh joy. You haven't played Dead Island and yet you claim it's B-tier because it's selling more than a favorite of yours.

subversus said:

You are solely comparing it on technical terms. Consumers do not do this. Most non-OCD gamers do not do this either.

It's still your opinion, just like mine is that Deus Ex looks boring as sin. And I've actually seen someone play the game!!

subversus

B-tier wasn't about quality, just reviews.

I don't care personally about AAA, AA, A, B, C, D, E and so on.

Wurdfurd

Dead Island=Mass appeal, everyone loves Zombies!

Deus Ex:HR=Deus Ex fans, newcomers to series who enjoy a deep RPG

Which demographic is bigger?

radicalchris

Neo Member
AndyMoogle said:
That would make the game impossible to beat. There is no way you can get through the whole game without taking damage from a zombie.

Yeah but if they called it a surviviour mode where you focused on running, boarding up windows gathering supplies (food, water, gasoline) keeping other survivors safe. It would be amazing.

daviyoung

Banned
dropshock said:
newcomers to series who enjoy a deep RPG

They're going to be disappointed with HR then
lol

There's no doubt that in the public eye zombies > Jensen. Maybe HR should have marketed its last levels better?

subversus

Metalmurphy said:
What a load of shit subversus. Deus Ex has it's fair share of bugs, it crashes alot on DX11, it has a wireframe bug on 4xxx cards and it runs like shit considering the graphics it has. And what production values? Dead Island is the better looking AND sounding game and it runs better then Deus Ex. Character models aren't even in the same league as Deus Ex. Voicework? Apart from one or two people Deus Ex is at about the same level then Dead Island, some even worst. Dead Island is a TRUE open world game, Deus Ex isn't. And at least in Dead Island I don't have to sit through awful compressed fmvs using the game engine... That just reeks of low production values.

While Deus Ex has some problems on _some_ videocards it doesn't have unversal problems as save files corrupting, various glitches and game-breaking bugs + lack of vital options as vsync, AF, mouse options and so on. It's inferior and buggier if we talk about technical side, there's no reason to argue about obvious.

As for voice acting and so on I'm yet to see, but I'm looking forward to playing it when they fix it with patches.

Metalmurphy said:
Then why did you mention production values?

because they still matter outside of my personal preferences.

dropshock said:
Dead Island=Mass appeal, everyone loves Zombies!

Deus Ex:HR=Deus Ex fans, newcomers to series who enjoy a deep RPG

Which demographic is bigger?

I hope your joking.

subversus said:
While Deus Ex has some problems on _some_ videocards it doesn't have unversal problems as save files corrupting, various glitches and game-breaking bugs + lack of vital options as vsync, AF, mouse options and so on. It's inferior and buggier if we talk about technical side, there's no reason to argue about obvious.

As for voice acting and so on I'm yet to see, but I'm looking forward to playing it when they fix it with patches.

Over 35 hours and didn't encounter a single game breaking bug or save files corrupting. It seems to be happening only on consoles. There are mouse options. Glitches are almost non existent. I saw a zombie clipping through a wall once, holycrap!! But guess what? I saw a full person below the ground on Deus Ex with only the head showing.

Your obvious is not so obvious specially since you didn't even play both games.

Oh and btw, the DX11 crashing isn't on "some cards"

subversus said:
because they still matter outside of my personal preferences.
They do matter, so you better not be wrong when you make claims like that.

Top Bottom