• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Ships Over 2 Million Copies

bucklam66

This game came out of nowhere for me and I really like it. It was sort of difficult to find at stores Monday, gamestop laughed when I went there.

Of course my two fav. games this gen are fallout 3 and borderlands.

Ultrabum

I love this game, and I am glad they had such great success! Hopefully we will see more games with great control systems (talking about the analogue controls). The controls really make the game satisfying!

spirity

Great news, its a game I've been thoroughly enjoying. Yeah, the bugs are disappointing but everything else has been great, so it sort of makes up for a lot of.. jank, as I believe its called.

Open world, rpg elements, side quests, zombie heads going splat.. it was on the cards I was gonna like this. Hope to see a Dead Island 2.

Sullichin

Kolgar said:
Good on them.

Game deserves great success.

Everyone with a pulse needs to play this game.

Eh, I disagree. Besides the myriad technical issues the game just has terrible design decisions IMO. It honestly isn't a AAA title, it totally lacks polish. Open world RPG that doesn't let you save anywhere and reverts you to a checkpoint halfway across the map. So fucking annoying. Resetting items, zombies that respawn way too quickly, and in the same spots. I have tons of small problems with the game. Killing zombies is fun though.

It's definitely more Borderlands than it is Fallout too.

Lol @ people comparing the gameplay to Deus Ex.. and people comparing Deus Ex to call of duty? wtf.

I'm glad the game is successful. Yes it's janky but it's also amazing fun to play, especially in co-op. We need more games like this.

FStop7

Banned
subversus said:
hahahaha

a B-rated zombie game (new IP btw) ships the same quantity as the critically acclaimed, polished and just great sequel to one of the most famous franchises.

People's tastes are pathetic. Nobody should whine that we get shitty mass produced games.

I'm not talking about Dead Island, I heard it's good, I'll buy it but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex. I bet people bought it because there are zombies!!!!!

Hurrr.

I finished DE:HR last week. I started Dead Island last night. I think they're just about equal - both have notable flaws but their brilliance overcomes. If I were a reviewer I'd score them the same. There is nothing B rated about Dead Island.

Dance In My Blood said:
It didn't sell well yet. Retailers likely just overestimated the popularity of Dead Island. It will price crash in a few months when they want to clear store shelves for the holiday season.

2 week backorder on Amazon. 20+ Best Buys in my area and not a copy in stock. Found one at a local Gamestop, they'd JUST gotten in some more. They said they'd be gone within a day.

The tears and meltdowns in this thread are really confusing. Why are people getting upset and defensive over a good game being successful?

Palmer_v1

I've been playing the game since it unlocked on Steam in NA, and other than the patch hiccups the first night/day, I have not had any problems with the game. There are some minor things I hope they patch soon, but the game is easily playable right now. I've loved every minute of it.

Calcaneus

subversus said:
oh I agree that I spended too much time in this thread explaining obvious things to some people who don't want to read my posts. Like you for example because I didn't say that I don't like Dead Island, I might like it, I liked what I've seen and I want to play it once they fix it I just don't like when the game sells just because it has boxes ticked.

damn, you people start pissing me off just because you don't want to read the whole post and I must explain it again and again and again and again. I'm out of here.
That's actually just as bad. Getting angry that a game sells just because it has what people want? People like zombies, they made a solid open world game with zombies, what's there to get angry about!?

Deus Ex HR checked off a lot of boxes too, don't think it sold that well just because of "omg finally a true sequel to Deus Ex".

FINALBOSS

Banned
Best game I've played all year.

I usually NEVER replay games unless they are of exceptional quality--I'm already starting my 3rd playthrough.

MacBosse

Well I can only speak from my own experience with the game, well deserved sales. I really enjoy playing trough Dead Island in coop with a good friend.

Looking forward to the DLC and sequel(s).

Sullichin

Nappuccino said:
I never heard anyone say this game was like fallout.

It was always Borderlands + Dead Rising.

I have heard some people in the OT say it's like Fallout, but really I said that because I would have liked if the game had more fleshed out RPG elements, I'm not a fan of Borderlands.

Co-op zombie killing is good fun. No doubt about that. I just don't think the game is anywhere near being great, is all.

Haunted

Here's hoping they sold some of those copies to end consumers, too.

The game would definitely deserve it - best zombie outbreak simulator I've played and a tremendous homage to Zombie fandom.

Phonomezer said:
I can't believe there are so many people that are bitter about the success of Dead Island.

Try playing the game, guys.
Remember, they'd be shipping 2 million units whether the game sells 1.8 million or whether it sells 0.2 million.

Shipment numbers are only a good indicator of sales numbers when we see
- sell through rates
- positive statements about sell through rates
- sell through rates in a quarterly report
- retailers ordering more stock (because it indicates a high... sell through rate)

KageMaru

In these days where studios are shutting down left and right, it's sad that someone will be bitter and complain about a success story.

I loved both DE:HR and DI, so I have no issue with both selling well.

Haunted said:
Remember, they'd be shipping 2 million units whether the game sells 1.8 million or whether it sells 0.2 million.

Shipment numbers are only a good indicator of sales numbers when we see
- sell through rates
- positive statements about sell through rates
- sell through rates in a quarterly report
- retailers ordering more stock (because it indicates a high... sell through rate)

While this is true, don't retailers basically buy copies off of the publisher so money is made regardless if all these copies sell out or just sit on the shelf collecting dust?

Phonomezer said:
I can't believe there are so many people that are bitter about the success of Dead Island.

Try playing the game, guys.
NO! Deus Ex should have sold more! My argument makes no sense, but I hate this and my feelings right now.

I don't get it. The game is fun and very satisfying.

sub, big fan bro but I really have no idea wtf you're trying to do here mate.

Dead Island is definitely one of the best games to come out for a long time. They definitely made a mess of the PC port in places, and the inventory and co-op bugs people have encountered are super lame, but it really is something very special.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Is it impossible to like both Deus Ex and Dead Island?

I mean, I don't understand why either are getting the hate they are getting. They are terribly different games from what I've gathered (I've yet to play Dead Island, but I'm looking forward to it arriving at GameFly. My gaming budget is the only reason I haven't bought it yet), and I don't see why some people have to bash one to praise the other.

Can't they both be good games in their own rights, with their own niceties and flaws?

I think DX: HR is pretty awesome. Sure, it's not as good as the original, but it's a damn worthy sequel.

Dead Island is a new IP using a familiar theme (zombies). Can't say I see anything particularly wrong with using a familiar theme (most games, even the most indy and pretentious, have, at their core, familiar concepts). The open world, melee focused aspects of DI look really fun. I just don't see why hating DX: HR somehow makes DI better, and vice versa.

Success for a fun original IP with unique ideas developed by an underdog Polish studio is something every gamer should be happy about!

SonicBoom

Poimandres said:
Success for a fun original IP with unique ideas developed by an underdog Polish studio is something every gamer should be happy about!

True dat homie and don't forget CDProject's The Witcher 2

Way to go POLSKA keep sleeper hits coming

daviyoung said:
Plants vs Zombies
House of the Dead
Resident Evil
Undead Nightmare
Stubbs The Zombie
Killing Floor
Dead Nation
Burn Zombie Burn
Zombie Driver
Blood Drive
Call of Duty WaW and BLOPS

Quick, name all the games with space marines in it!! or bald dudes! or dudes in power suits! GOGOGOGOGO

TheBear

It's beyond me why people on a gaming forum would want a new IP from a small studio to fail. The game is fun. Isn't that the whole point?

LuchaShaq

Banned
daviyoung said:
Plants vs Zombies
House of the Dead
Resident Evil
Undead Nightmare
Stubbs The Zombie
Killing Floor
Dead Nation
Burn Zombie Burn
Zombie Driver
Blood Drive
Call of Duty WaW and BLOPS

Out of all the zombie games/modes/DLC's this generation the only one's I've enjoyed are Dead Island and plants vs. zombies.

Also most Cod players don't even touch zombie mode.

LuchaShaq said:
Out of all the zombie games/modes/DLC's this generation the only one's I've enjoyed are Dead Island and plants vs. zombies.

They should because it's actually quite fun in spurts.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Mechanized said:
They should because it's actually quite fun in spurts.

I played alot of MW1 but not much of the series after that, but the times I got roped into playing zombie mode? Probably the least fun cooperative multiplayer I've ever played.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
FStop7 said:
2 week backorder on Amazon. 20+ Best Buys in my area and not a copy in stock. Found one at a local Gamestop, they'd JUST gotten in some more. They said they'd be gone within a day.
I see every version as in stock on Amazon, and it's available for in store pickup at every local Best Buy.

All of this is anecdotal though.

Wallach

LuchaShaq said:

I'd definitely disagree with that. Nazi Zombies mode is popular as fuck, they sell a bunch of DLC specifically for that.

my sister plays CoD zombie mode almost exclusively, so i suppose it must be active.

tbh I was not at all interested in DI when it was first announced (zombies, oh god have we not had enough zombies yet), but the more I see the more interesting it looks. Can't decide on a platform yet though, I like playing things on my PC but as a laptop it has some overheating issues. most games run fine but Just Cause 2 makes it burrrrrrrn, and hard-crash, so I'm bit uncertain at the moment. Got a friend who'll probably get it so I'll wait and see what platform he chooses. Good on them for selling well I say.

Top Bottom