• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Ships Over 2 Million Copies

subversus said:
hahahaha

a B-rated zombie game (new IP btw) ships the same quantity as the critically acclaimed, polished and just great sequel to one of the most famous franchises.

People's tastes are pathetic. Nobody should whine that we get shitty mass produced games.

I'm not talking about Dead Island, I heard it's good, I'll buy it but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex. I bet people bought it because there are zombies!!!!!

Fuck you. I like zombies. I don't play many first person shooters. And I have no interest in Deus Ex regardless of how "famous" the first game is.

GTFO of my Dead Island thread you pompous twat.

Card Boy

Banned
subversus said:
it's not about the game, it's about reasons of its popularity

I don't like Zombie games by default, but still got this one. Open world/4 player co-op/Borderlands-esc/loot game was the reason i got it.

I'd say your reasoning is wrong, there are plenty of Zombie games out there that have tanked, otherwise indie devs would be rich as fuck.

DeVeAn

Gotta say this game surprised me. It's good fun but after my last 2 achievements, this game will be sold. Lots of bugs funky graphics and horrible story/cut scenes. besides when the sequel comes hopefully it will be more polished.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Lot of anger in this thread. Allow me to contribute some.

Dead Island is a bloody great game. I know that a lot of people have had problems with it - but I've had it running on two different systems, with my saves synched via Steam Cloud, and I haven't had a single technical issue. Maybe I was just lucky - but there you go.

The game is awesome. Amazing melee combat which is reminiscent of the best parts of Breakdown or the Riddick games, and incredible atmosphere. I think it absolutely deserves the success it is enjoying. From the ashes of one of the most ridiculous and horrible launches in gaming history, it has turned out to be a genuinely great game.

Now, to address some of the other stuff from the thread..

It's a better game than Human Revolution, which I think is an extremely overrated, extremely tepid FPS/RPG hybrid. I know that there are certain segments of the gaming community who are absolutely in love with it and vehement about the game's power and glory - but I'm not seeing it. It retains none of the awe-inspiring scope of the original, and gives little sense of scale.

It's not a terrible game by any means. It's okay, that's all. It's an okay, compact, fun-size version of Deus Ex. But, it is a far less ambitious, and I'd say a far less successful game than Dead Island.

... am I in trouble now?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gez said:
I don't like Zombie games by default, but still got this one. Open world/4 player co-op/Borderlands-esc/loot game was the reason i got it.

I'd say your reasoning is wrong, there are plenty of Zombie games out there that have tanked, otherwise indie devs would be rich as fuck.

I can't remember a single (non-horrible) zombie game that "tanked". I myself own a lot of zombie games which I enjoy: Left 4 Dead 1-2, Zombie Panic Source (not technically own, but it's still installed on my PC), Killing Floor (I still consider it a zombie game), Dead Rising (I actually might mix it up with Capcom's game, they game I mean is a top-down PSN coop shooter, I just don't remember if it's called like that exactly) and I will buy Dead State and Dead Island. All these games are popular and successful.

My rant is not about the game, it's about public's taste.

The only thing wrong about my reasoning is that I, being an adult, still consider it worth bitching about public's taste. When I was a teenager I ranted about Britney Spears topping the charts. Now I'm ranting about games doing the same but it is as stupid as ranting about pop music being, you know, popular. Still, I'm doing it, lol.

Calcaneus

Shouldn't you be bitching about Deus Ex doing well for itself too? Cause, you know, those kids will buy anything with guns in them!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Really not my style of game tbh but it's not hard to see why it sold well, the whole 'Zombie craze' is still alive and kicking with the general populous, I can't deny feeling a little sorry though for great games R3 for example that probably got looked over due to Dead Island being out on the same day but I just feel that Dead Island has much more mass market appeal.

Tobor

I literally had a copy of Deus Ex and Dead Island in my hand at Best Buy. I put Deus Ex back and went with Dead Island because it's open world.

subversus

Metalmurphy said:
That's all you gonna quote?

You can't do that in Deus Ex either.

yes, you can't because there's no mouse smoothing and acceleration in the first place. They have no place in any PC game.

as for other things you wrote about - it's still SOME cards because majority of users affected play on new Nvidia or very old ATI cards. DX11 crashing is Nvidia's thing mostly. I personally haven't experienced a single problem with the game.

What other things you mentioned I must quote?

subversus said:

B-rated zombie game (new IP btw) ships the same quantity as the critically acclaimed, polished and just great sequel to one of the most famous franchises.

it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex.

This game is worse than Deus Ex just because it's a bad, not adapted for PC buggy port and Deus Ex is not.

production values seem to be worse in general.

That is some seriously awesome backtracking your making.

subversus said:
yes, you can't because there's no mouse smoothing and acceleration in the first place. They have no place in any PC game.

as for other things you wrote about - it's still SOME cards because majority of users affected play on new Nvidia or very old ATI cards. DX11 crashing is Nvidia's thing mostly. I personally haven't experienced a single problem with the game.

What other things you mentioned I must quote?
Post wasn't that long, so its all the rest of the stuff that mention how wrong you were about the previous claims.

And there's no mouse acceleration in Dead Island, not sure about smoothing. And who decided which is the best option? If both games don't have the options then both games are failing.

lowrider007 said:
I can't deny feeling a little sorry though for great games R3 for example that probably got looked over due to Dead Island being out on the same day

Dead Island is a great game too.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Metalmurphy said:
ya..I'm happy for the dead island sales but I'm gonna sub this thread just for the trolling and inevitable ban.

Card Boy

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Oh its a pure co op game? I was going to wait a bit and then get it but now I don't have to get it all...ok, I guess.

No it can be played 100% solo or 100% in co-op. Some gaffers in the Dead Island thread said they preferred to play it solo, each to their own.

radicalchris said:
Yeah but if they called it a surviviour mode where you focused on running, boarding up windows gathering supplies (food, water, gasoline) keeping other survivors safe. It would be amazing.
So you want a completely different game, not just a different mode.

Optimus Lime

Gez said:
No it can be played 100% solo or 100% in co-op. Some gaffers in the Dead Island thread said they preferred to play it solo, each to their own.

This is true - it plays fine solo. I don't like playing it with randoms in co-op particularly, so I usually chuck them out if I've forgotten to switch the network play off. The game is a bit harder, but certainly not impossible. I'm at 75% and I've soloed through most of it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Impressive numbers. Let's hope they fix the PC version, it seems like for every fix someone comes up with, another problem sets in. At least for me.

Phonomezer said:
I usually jump into a random's game when things are getting a little freaky :p

I actually did the opposite. In coop game tends to be more chaotic because people keep pulling more zombies. At least in solo you can take it easy and avoid extra danger.

subversus

Metalmurphy said:

man, I just gonna spell it out once for you because my time is too precious to argue about stupid shit on the internet. you post quotes that have nothing in common, so you must have problems with reading comprehension.

it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex.

This game is worse than Deus Ex just because it's a bad, not adapted for PC buggy port and Deus Ex is not.

production values seem to be worse in general.

these quotes don't contradict with each other. I was talking about production values and Deus Ex is better in this regard. It's obvious, I never backtracked on this. The game is buggier than Deus Ex, it has less options on PC and so on.

Public is buying games which are less favourably reviewed than other games and are infamous about their buggines (while other games are much less buggier) just because people don't do their research or they don't care and prefer to stay ignorant about issues and games in general. It's all about ticking boxes.

B-rated zombie game (new IP btw) ships the same quantity as the critically acclaimed, polished and just great sequel to one of the most famous franchises.

It's b-rated by critics and a buggy game which sells on par with a less buggy, critically acclaimed game. Again, it's obvious and there is nothing new about it, it's ages old and always be this way but I still want to rant about it because I can and in the mood for it. I also consider myself a part of this ignorant public, there's nothing wrong (and good) about it.

I still looking forward to playing it and enjoying it because I like open-world games with RPG elements.

I hope you understand now what I meant.

Optimus Lime

subversus said:
It's b-rated by critics and a buggy game which sells on par with a less buggy, critically acclaimed game. Again, it's obvious and there is nothing new about it, it's ages old and always be this way but I still want to rant about it because I can and in the mood for it. I also consider myself a part of this ignorant public, there's nothing wrong (and good) about it.

Well, if you're going to take what critics say as your ultimate evaluator of quality, Call Of Duty is the best game of the year EVERY year, God Hand is utterly worthless, and Mount & Blade barely even exists.

Human Revolution has 'higher production values'? I'm not sure that's terribly relevant, when Dead Island is far more fun to play, and - I would argue - looks far better. Dead Island's world is beautiful and far more convincingly rendered than Human Revolution's gold-tinted boxes.

Also, I'm not getting this sense of the zombie game being the flavour du jour of the moment. There's a few zombie games about - but there's far more games featuring big, hulking dudes killing monsters. Doesn't mean Space Marine isn't utterly brilliant, does it?

In 2011, 'critical acclaim' doesn't really mean much. With the Internet, everyone's a critic. Everyone. Some critics just get their opinions hosted on websites - that's all. For every IGN article about how great Human Revolution is, there's a Youtube video made by some 15 year old about how it's a pile of shit.

Is one more valuable than the other? I'd argue not.

subversus

Optimus Lime said:
Well, if you're going to take what critics say as your ultimate evaluator of quality, Call Of Duty is the best game of the year EVERY year, God Hand is utterly worthless, and Mount & Blade barely even exists.

you know, I can hate COD for what it is doing to gaming industry but it's a damn good game every year and deserves its high score aside from my personal preferences.

I can't say anything about God Hand and I played only 1 hour of Mount & Blade to judge it properly (but I liked it).

frankly speaking critics are usually right when it comes to average Joe's taste.

Optimus Lime

subversus said:
you know, I can hate COD for what it is doing to gaming industry but it's a damn good game every year and deserves its high score aside from my personal preferences.

I can't say anything about God Hand and I played only 1 hour of Mount & Blade to judge it properly (but I liked it).

frankly speaking critics are usually right when it comes to average Joe's taste.

I'd argue that they generally CREATE the average Joe's taste.

And, besides, when did we decide that aiming absolutely everything at 'the average Joe' was a great idea and a marker of quality?

Also - I don't think anyone could rationally call Black Ops 'a great game' which 'deserves its high score'. On release, it had all the bugs of Dead Island and then some. And that was just the beginning of the game's problems.

shuri

Banned
Mount & Blade is an amazing game until you get powerful and then it becomes all broken and funny. I've played the game since the super early beta when the villages were just a giant patch of grass with frozen 3d characters scattered around.

The game is fun, but its lacking in many many many ways.

subversus said:

In terms of review scores Dead Island is under the top ten PC releases of this year and we are already in September. I would not really call that B-rated. Unless you consider Portal 2 the only AAA release this year, that's more like A or AA for Dead Island, if you want to stick to production values represented in those silly average review scores, you claim to not care about. :p

That is somewhat subjective, of course.

Also, I must say I am somewhat amused you went for the more buggy/ less buggy approach to make a point for Dues Ex 3 being the better game. Honestly, while Deus Ex: HR is a great game and probably superior in a number of aspects, it's miles away from a bug free experience on the PC. There are tons of AI and clipping bugs. Enemies get stuck in the ground pretty frequently and some people have major issues with input lag or are even unable to get the game to run stable on their machine. Personally, I feel like I experienced more bugs playing Deus Ex, but I am not done with my first Dead Island playthrough yet.

subversus

Optimus Lime said:
Also - I don't think anyone could rationally call Black Ops 'a great game' which 'deserves its high score'. On release, it had all the bugs of Dead Island and then some. And that was just the beginning of the game's problems.

I personally think it was a polished game with a better campaign than MW2 and a solid MP component which adressed some complaints about MW2.

I also think that MW2 has a better campaing than BO and a better MP component for SOME people.

These games are just a bit different but their quality is the same. Both had their share of technical problems.

Optimus Lime

subversus said:
I personally think it was a polished game with a better campaign than MW2 and a solid MP component which adressed some complaints about MW2.

I also think that MW2 has a better campaing than BO and a better MP component for SOME people.

These games are just a bit different but their quality is the same. Both had their share of technical problems.

Black Ops was an extremely buggy mess on release - which is one of the markers that you yourself have been using in order to explain why Dead Island is undeserving of success.

Ditto Human Revolution, as has been pointed out. Are bugs only acceptable in games that you enjoy?

Patryn

For what it's worth, the 360 version was sold out of every Gamestop, Best Buy and Target near me.

It's also had a 2-3 week backorder on Amazon early this week (but now looks to only be a 2-day backorder).

Awesome news! Awesome game! Bravo Techland.

Hopefully this means we'll be getting Dead Island 2.

With the base tech in place and gameplay foundation laid, hopefully they can improve the engine to support more streaming and less loading, improve the questing to give the characters and story more depth and polish a sequel to a high shine.

subversus

Optimus Lime said:
Black Ops was an extremely buggy mess on release - which is one of the markers that you yourself have been using in order to explain why Dead Island is undeserving of success.

Ditto Human Revolution, as has been pointed out. Are bugs only acceptable in games that you enjoy?

do you mean multiplayer bugs? MW2 (every big MP game) had them at release too. As for SP bugs I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Also it seems that it is pointless to talk about bugs because I don't have 100 computers where I can test the game. You have them, I don't. But I don't remember reviewers complaining en masse about bugs in Deus Ex. I also don't remember players doing it en masse. By that I mean when I open Dead Island thread and at least half of posts dedicated to how buggy the game is. Dead Island had it, Deus Ex didn't but there were complaints, I can't argue with that.

Wait Deus Ex HR already shipped 2x as much as the original, right? That's got to count for something. And it's silly to blame Dead Island or any other great selling game for Deus Ex's failure to immediately sell 5 million copies. It's no one's fault that Square spent nearly $5 million dollars on CG that isn't even in the game proper.

Dead Island is a new IP that tried something fresh with the zombie horror genre. We should be applauding that a game made by a bunch of nobodies has become so successful. There is much larger chance for a polished sequel.

Derrick01

Banned
The game was pretty awful and boring and at the start it was messed up by a level of incompetence that only Techland and Deep Silver could hit. Doesn't deserve all those sales.

Optimus Lime

subversus said:
do you mean multiplayer bugs? MW2 (every big MP game) had them at release too. As for SP bugs I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Also it seems that it is pointless to talk about bugs because I don't have 100 computers where I can test the game. You have them, I don't. But I don't remember reviewers complaining en masse about bugs in Deus Ex. I also don't remember players doing it en masse. By that I mean when I open Dead Island thread and at least half of posts dedicated to how buggy the game is. Dead Island had it, Deus Ex didn't but there were complaints, I can't argue with that.

You clearly weren't on the Steam forums for Black Ops when it came out. The whole release was a fiasco - people were getting slideshows, crashes, lockups etc. And that was on single player.

Dead Island has bugs. Deus Ex has bugs. You want to crucify Dead Island because it's not a game you especially care for, or you feel that Deus Ex is more deserving of success, or whatever - but your criteria is flawed.

Calcaneus

Subversus has to be trolling, I can't imagine why he would spend all this time basically saying "the game I like should have sold better than the game I don't"

Ledsen

subversus said:

People are certainly complaining about the stuttering in Deus Ex en masse. There was even a separate thread about it. It's still not fixed.

subversus

Calcaneus said:
Subversus has to be trolling, I can't imagine why he would spend all this time basically saying "the game I like should have sold better than the game I don't"

oh I agree that I spended too much time in this thread explaining obvious things to some people who don't want to read my posts. Like you for example because I didn't say that I don't like Dead Island, I might like it, I liked what I've seen and I want to play it once they fix it I just don't like when the game sells just because it has boxes ticked.

damn, you people start pissing me off just because you don't want to read the whole post and I must explain it again and again and again and again. I'm out of here.

mxgt

Banned
It's a shame you need a third party program to turn off and/or fix the annoying things in the PC version but other than that it's an extremely fun game that is worthy of the sales.

Top Bottom