• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition Coming to PS4 March 4th

lmbotiva

kIZqnGV.png

hes probably feeling quite dead right now....game is amazing, will replay the shit out of it

Mikey Jr.

Uhhh, Dead Nation isn't exactly stressing the PS4.

Think about this.

Killzone: Shadow Fall multiplayer runs at 1080p and at 60fps.

Killzone.

This game cant even meet that?

theytookourjobz

The social features seem pretty awesome. I guess it's something to play on PS4 and it's free so can't complain too much. Having said that, with Infamous, Titanfall, South Park, and Dark Souls in the next few weeks, who is going to be playing this?

hawk2025

Think about this.

Killzone.

Read the thread.

It's a result of the speed of porting the same engine, not the hardware.

theytookourjobz

Think about this.

Killzone.

Sony probably just needed something for PS4 Plus this month and told Housemarque to throw something together ASAP. I know nothing about development but no optimization for a much more powerful system seems pretty sloppy/lazy to me. If they took the time to convert the game to a totally different architecture, seems like unlocking the framerate would be easier than that.

Raven77

Just going to repost my previous thoughts on this

I loved Dead Nation....but it's a given that it should be free considering the amount of people who already got it for free in the past.

Its really weird that a PS4 version has appeared without ever being announced and the Vita port which was announced last year is still dead silent....I guess Sony is running out of games they can offer and had to throw up a quick port.

Edit:Trailer looks great though. I love housemarque.

I am genuinely curious as to what full retail game you would expect them to give away for free just a few months after release.

Raven77

Sony did this to themselves. Plus has been so awesome on PS3, people have huge expectations.

Huge expectations are perfectly fine. I am hugely anticipating Avengers 2 but I certainly do not expect Batman to be in it.

To expect full retail titles for free at this point is 100% unrealistic.

Sony did this to themselves. Plus has been so awesome on PS3, people have huge expectations.

And people have to remember that Plus started four years into the PS3's cycle. So, they already had a large library of games available to give to people. The PS4's lineup is still small, so people should be realistic about what to expect.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
After seeing how they enhanced Flower on PS4, can't say I'm not disappointed with 30fps on this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This sounds kind of cool?

@yosp 28m
In Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (PS4), your streaming viewers can influence the difficulty of the game, appearing as named zombies :D

Nevermind its in the OP...lol...RIF

Dead Nation was one of the best downloadable games last gen imo (across all platforms). I love isometric shooters and this had awesome graphics, physics and a nice levelling up system for armour and weapons. Very solid game and I got it free after chosing it as one of the gifts after the PSN hacking fiasco.

I finished it on the hardest level but only played the first 2 stages co-op with a mate so i'm really looking forward to playing through the whole game again co-op. Also realyl excited about the added DLC as I held off on buying this on Ps3 (so glad I did).

Great news and hopefully we still get a sequel somewhere in the Ps4's life.

ReaperXL7

I am genuinely curious as to what full retail game you would expect them to give away for free just a few months after release.

I'm not saying it needs to be a full retail game. I just think it would have been better if it had not been a game that a large percentage of the PS4s user base played on PS3.

I don't mind the port I love the game. I was just hoping for some something like FEZ, Mercenary Kings, or Rouge Legacy.

Bloodrage

Banned
Fucking loved this on PS3. Will buy again just to support these guys, and the development of Dead Nation 2.

Edit: Nvm, no 60fps no sale. Fuck sakes, no excuse.

Jabba

Banned
I'm not big on social, outside mmos and the occasional shooter. Broadcast+ sounds like a decent use of social features. lol

This looks a little like Hunter: The Reckoning. Had a blast playing HTR with gf at the time.

Wow..this great game gets better. The broadcast+ features sounds interesting as hell. I wonder if more games will incorporate such things in the future. Sounds awesome. At least spectators gets to "participate" in a way.

Vita port? Just remote play it! :p

thank you based PS+, can't wait to try this game :D

My favorite new feature is Broadcast+ mode. In this mode, you can stream your game to the masses interactively, and your viewers can influence the difficulty of your game. Periodically all your viewers, whether they be on PS4 or a web browser, have the option to vote between a positive and negative effect that occurs in your game. There are a total of 30 different voting effects that can occur, ranging from spawning zombie packs to giving the player ammo, or even disabling the player’s ability to sprint. But don’t worry; as a player you can get back at the masses, because voters will appear in your game as named zombies for you to exact your revenge on.

excited-baby.gif

tmarques

I was hoping they'd give it a real ending. It almost felt like they ran out money halfway through and decided to release anyway.

Wow..this great game gets better. The broadcast+ features sounds interesting as hell. I wonder if more games will incorporate such things in the future. Sounds awesome. At least spectators gets to "participate" in a way.

Yakuza, Tomb Raider, and Dynasty Warriors all use the feature. Although this seems to have a more detailed integration than any of those games.

jett

D-Member
Video is up on gamersyde. And it says 1080p/60. I can't download it now. Can someone check if the gameplay is indeed 60 fps?

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_dead_nation_apocalypse_edition_trailer-31607_en.html

EDIT: Just noticed the Housemarque tweet. Never mind. It's probably just the video encoding.

Heh, the title cards are the only thing that are 60fps in that video. Somebody wrongly thought the game ran at that framerate. :p Too bad the game's timing relies too strictly on 30fps, 60fps would improve it considering its genre.

I got Dead Nation for free ages ago during the PSN debacle, never finished it. It's my least favorite Housemarque game, but it's not bad, it's just kinda eh.

Jeels

The use of the PS4 live streaming with the interact button sounds really awesome, the type of stuff I would have liked from it but didn't think it was possible. Going to try the game out because of that.

Eh? I didn't know spectators get to participate in some way for the games above. What do the spectators get to do?

With the push of the Share button, players can live broadcast their game, or post video clips and screenshots. During a broadcast, viewer comments will be displayed in the game in real time. In the arena, if a certain number of comments are displayed, there are special effects that can occur like you’ll recover quicker from being knocked down, or build up heat faster.

http://gematsu.com/2014/01/yakuza-ishin-playstation-4-features-detailed

Tomb Raider has some sort of die/revive command. But i'm not sure about DW8 other than it having some interactive streaming features as well.

CREMSteve

Broadcast mode sounds fantastic. Naming the undead the names of the people voting to make your game harder.... that's downright brilliant.

Darknight

Cant believe some are saying this is a "another bad month" of PS+ for PS4? What? 1 free game a month is still better than none. Plus the PS3/Vita content.

I dont see Sony's competitors offering anything close to these benefits. Im gonna play this shit and be content. 3 months in and I have had new titles to play that I didnt have to buy. Granted I'd prefer to pay for this at a huge discount (75% off or so) but whatever I dont care anymore.

Never beat the PS3 version so im gonna beat this one. I dont mind the 30FPS thing for this type of game. I know its a quick port job and it cost me nothing. Nothing to complain here.

Will this have the ability to get trophies for both player 1 and player 2 for local co op or is that not a feature on PlayStation. My friend and his wife who used to roll on 360 are kind of pissed that they cannot both earn trophies at the same time on Lego movie game.

When you connect another controller on ps4 it asks you to either log in as a guest or with your psn id. Its built into the system. Once two or more controllers are logged in you can then switch between the two with the PS button as if you were using two different ps4s. Both will earn trophies and when you log off you will be asked to upload your save so you can go home and continue the game where you left off at your friends house.

Top Bottom