• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition Coming to PS4 March 4th

Thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

While this is good for some, to me it's a little upsetting for this to be the game for the PS4 PS+ March program. I, as many of previous PS3/PS+ owners already got Deadnation. Now, I now that it may be a case of "It's not the same game, it's not same content" however I do hope this is a trend that won't be repeated many times in the future. I know the early adopters of the PS4 may not be getting the best PS+ titles early on. I remember when I was hyped because I was going do play Drive Club on my PS4 day one. Now, not even a release date I have...

It's okay if they offer a game like Don't Starve. A game I have for a long, long time but on PC. Because there are people who do not play on PC this was good addiction considering some people only have one platform, however, I can't help but feel this (Deadnation) was a repeat game for the PS+ program.

I'm still going to play it, sure, I just wish I could have been offered something different when looking at my past PS+ offerings. It's a fact they might offer other game I already have on PC like the Binding of Isaac but in this case it's a game that was released as part of the PS+ program. I'm not sad and this is not a harsh complain or anything, just my humble opinion the matter and something that I like to discuss with my good fellow GAFfers. ;)

I understand your concern but the system just came out and games are limited while they build a library. in the meantime they are offering what they can, which is way more than all the competition. There are also a lot of ps4 owners who never owned a ps3 or maybe never played the ps3 version of the game. plus this version does some slick stuff with the streaming allowing for interaction by spectators. Great way to show off the system.

sector4

I've had this on my PS3 ever since it was given free after the PSN meltdown, but somehow never played it.

Really glad it's coming to the PS4, I'll finally give it a chance :D

CLEEK

Dean Nation is genuinely one of my favourite games from last gen. I love it so much.

It hurts my brain when I see people claim it was rubbish. It's such a lovingly crafted videogame with attention to detail in the graphics and sound departments, and pitch perfect risk/reward if you're going for score.

Shame this isn't 60fps, but I'm totally down for replaying it again. The only issue I had with the original was swapping weapons in the heat of battle was clumsy, so the addition of a quick select sounds ideal. Most of the weapons were novelties anyway, and I just stick with a few favourites.

The concept of viewers influencing your game world is really cool. I really hope all devs use this feature in future projects in creative ways if it makes sense. Loved the DN on PS3. Was hoping it would be a sequel on PS4 when the devs were teasing some time back.

goonergaz

This is great news for me - I was half-way through the PS3 version and tempted to get the expansion pack...I love this game - so one of my 'to complete list' and I get to play it all in glorious 1080p :)

GorillaJu

I empathize with people that it's unfortunate we aren't getting $60 games with the PS4 instant game collection, but it'll take up time to build a library to where there are games that fit well in the IGC.

The nicer side of this is that Outlast, Dead Nation, Don't Starve and Resogun are all new to the PS4, so there's no chance that you have this version of the game already and just haven't played it.

Shin-Ra

Finally had a proper look at the screenshots on a monitor without scaling and if they're not bullshots, damn. By far the cleanest looking console game I've seen, they've made something of being limited to 30fps.

12804951415_e165d7e876_o.jpg

12805045993_606c979d64_o.jpg

12804951975_c77c191b22_o.jpg

edit: This Crash Bandicoot retrospective may go some way to explaining the kinds of things Housemarque shortsightedly tied into running at 30fps.

Parlez vous Crash
The real kicker was the frame rate. One of the reasons why the animation in Crash is so so much better than most of its contemporaries is that we stored every vertex for every frame — then compressed the living crap out of it. This meant that each segment of animation was sampled from Alias PowerAnimator at 30 fps. I modified the tools to support making a second copy of every animation where the step rate was adjusted to 25fps. The pal version used these files instead of the originals. This worked about 80% of the time. Sometimes it became necessary to notate a particular animation segment as having a strange or custom step for PAL, or even hand code certain frames. I added special constructs to my custom language (GOOL) which made this stuff as automatic as I could.

But the physics and collision systems also needed to adjust to the different frame rate. I had done PAL conversions for Rings of Power and Way of the Warrior and having every great programmer’s hatred for tedium had developed the notion when starting Crash that I would notate all “time and space based” units not in the traditional game programmer manner of “moves X pixels per frame” but in a kind of neutral space. Hence everything in Crash was measured in meters, seconds, and the like. I built into GOOL constructs like (meters 5) or (meters-per-second 2.5). The compiler or the runtime (depended) would convert these on the fly into the appropriate pixel per frame units.

This had a number of big advantages. First of all, even without the PAL issue, it allowed the physics (and the enemies) to move in a fairly frame rate independent way. Special functions were used to deal with velocity and acceleration which took into account the current frame’s estimated real time (based usually on how long it took the previous frame to compute and render). This meant that the code which propelled Crash in a parabolic arc as he jumped would move him further per frame if the frame rate slipped to 20 or 15 (which, unfortunately, it sometimes did). This wasn’t a perfect solution, 15 fps still played worse than 30, but it helped.

And it really paid off with the PAL conversion. The hard work — and it was incredibly tedious — really only took me about five days. After running all the automatic convertors and debugging those I had to go through the entire game and check every single level, every creature, every behavior of every creature or object and make sure it stilled played and looked okay in PAL. If it didn’t I had to play with the numbers, or in the worst case add some special “if PAL do it a little differently” clauses to the GOOL code.

Shin-Ra

I found a couple of PS3 screenshots in the same place as one of the new PS4 screens.

• Road markings and wear and tear on the ground and walls retextured
  • Giant ivy growing up the lampposts retextured with light green edge
  • Plants swapped around
The HUD weapon and stamina graphics have been redrawn and other bits tweaked too.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I found a couple of PS3 screenshots in the same place as one of the new PS4 screens.

• Plants swapped around
The HUD weapon and stamina graphics have been redrawn and other bits tweaked too.

Oh hey. One of the images is bigger than the other. Does it have more resolutions? =P

Also, Dead Nation is 30fps says this Twitter from Housemarque.
https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/439058138873208832

Even though the PS Blog says 60fps HOLY CRAP hahaha, they edited it out. Anyway, it's only a moderate deal. And it seems like their reasoning is "It wasn't made for 60fps", which to that I say, when was this game supposed to come out?

• Plants swapped around

Now imagine how good Wipeout HD/Fury would look.

alUP0Bj.gif

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Now imagine how good Wipeout HD/Fury would look.
I really don't get when people say this. It was already 1080p 60fps. And the sleekness of the ships don't give room for much texture (mapping?) detail. That game was made to run at Full HD like Portal 2 was made to run on an average computer. You can't make Portal 2 or Team Fortress 2 look better. And you can't make Wipeout look better.

I really don't get when people say this. It was already 1080p 60fps. And the sleekness of the ships don't give room for much texture (mapping?) detail. That game was made to run at Full HD like Portal 2 was made to run on an average computer. You can't make Portal 2 or Team Fortress 2 look better. And you can't make Wipeout look better.

Nah, it had a dynamic resolution and wasn't the most stable 60fps either. A port to PS4 with 1080p and stable 60fps would be incredible.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Okay that broadcast+ thing looks amazing. Definitely will be streaming!

So I have to buy this again right? My ps3 purchase isnt gonna get me anythin.,

There's a test stream of this going on right now on Live on PlayStation. The interactive stuff comes down to a vote every minute or so - pretty cool but the watchers are too friendly!

Edit: just saw my name in game

ReaperXL7

When you connect another controller on ps4 it asks you to either log in as a guest or with your psn id. Its built into the system. Once two or more controllers are logged in you can then switch between the two with the PS button as if you were using two different ps4s. Both will earn trophies and when you log off you will be asked to upload your save so you can go home and continue the game where you left off at your friends house.

No sadly this is not true. It's a nice thought but I have tested both Lego games, Rayman legends, Trine 2, and knack and the second profile does not earn trophies during local co op play. Imo it's something Sony should have made mandatory, but it seems like its on a game by game basis as the only games I have read that it actually works with are Playroom, and Madden.

Played a bit tonight. Omg. This game is awesome. Pressing fire on L1 is killing me though. My finger naturally rests on L2, but weapons being mostly semi automatic, L2 is not good because of the amount you have to pull. And you want to pull fast.

A fun thing is looking at your country score vs other (dead) nations. Go Norway GAF. Leader is Denmark and Italy.

darkwing

downloading it too via PS+

been watching a few videos, you basically select A for positive effects, and B to see a zombie with your name on it

jonabbey

Yeah, I just bought it on the web store and it charged me $14.99 for it despite my having Plus.

Which, you know, cool by me, Housemarque love. Would be nice for Sony to fix that ASAP though.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Oppo

goddamn I love pushing downloads from my phone to PS4. that is just the best feature.

(Try doing a search via the PS mobile app; I didn't see it in any of the featured areas but Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition came right up with a search.)

DirtyLarry

Man, I really love being able to purchase it from the website at work and have it download to my PS4 afterwards. That is fantastic.
NA here, East Coast, + version is showing as free now.

Caayn

Two bad months of ps+, I hope they get something good for April.
To be fair. What is Sony supposed to give away? We can't expect them to give away a big AAA title so soon after launch. I'm having a feeling that Knack will be the first big PS+ title.

Ricker

Never could beat those final waves solo lol,just gave up after a while because you had to redo the whole chapter if I remember if you closed the game but it was fun...going to try it again on the PS4.

Top Bottom