• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Hubb

I think they were mostly DLC yeah, like this

Yeah most of them look pretty normal, looking for something a little crazier.

Gimme an old woman that happens to be top tier,

Female Gen Fu is a waste of a character slot imo. Honestly I would be more than happy with them trimming the cast a little if it means them going all out on the models/backgrounds/modes/everything else.

Azuardo

We always get cuts anyway, it seems, until DLC and/or an Ultimate edition rolls along, so I guess speculating on who will be cut in 6 is something to do.

Even tho Christie sucks and she isn't popular from what I can tell, along with Lisa, I think those two probably have roles in the story, so they'll still be in to begin with. Excluding the VF/guest characters, people like Rachel and Momiji could be likely to go, since they don't have much story position at all, but I think Momiji has her fans so she'll stay. It's Mila I worry for. She doesn't deserve to be cut.

The most likely ones to not make it (at least at the start) I think are Leon, Ein, Alpha, Phase (tho I expect a clone to return, but prefer not), Rachel, Raidou, Eliot, Mila.

Possible ones to not make it, but most likely will I think are Gen Fu, Lisa, Christie, Brad.

I think they could make it about a 25 starting roster. DOA5 vanilla started with 24, and rose to 36 by the time of Last Round.

Hubb

I thought Eliot had a decent fan base, so I'd be surprised to see him go.

I am not interested in guest characters so as far as I am concerned they can all go. Save them for DLC if they feel the need to add them.

If they were building a base roster for purely story reasons they could get rid of Honoka/MR if they weren't popular. I know MR's connection to Helena, but I honestly no nothing about Honoka. I guess you could throw Neotengu in there as well. Popular character with basically no connection to the story/other characters.

Then what type of new characters are they going to add in the base game/are they going to add new characters in the base game.

Korigama

Momiji I'm not really worried about making it, particularly since she was popular enough to make the cut for DoAX3. As the least popular of the new girls created specifically for DoA5, I would agree with things looking more doubtful for Mila. And yeah, ongoing story integration should lead to Christie and Lisa staying in spite of no one really liking them.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new girl with a darker complexion, though they would likely skew younger with her than Lisa if I were to guess.
If they were building a base roster for purely story reasons they could get rid of Honoka/MR if they weren't popular. I know MR's connection to Helena, but I honestly no nothing about Honoka. I guess you could throw Neotengu in there as well. Popular character with basically no connection to the story/other characters.
I've been under the impression of Honoka being connected to Raidou specifically based on her power. Either way, there's zero chance of her or Marie Rose getting dropped. Pretty sure Nyotengu's safe, too (the most connection I recall with her being to Hayabusa, but it's not like they couldn't come up with new excuses to keep the characters who resonate with players).

Hubb

I wouldn't mind seeing a new girl with a darker complexion, though they would likely skew younger with her than Lisa if I were to guess.

I've been under the impression of Honoka being connected to Raidou specifically based on her power. Either way, there's zero chance of her or Marie Rose getting dropped. Pretty sure Nyotengu's safe, too (the most connection I recall with her being to Hayabusa, but it's not like they couldn't come up with new excuses to keep the characters who resonate with players).

Yeah I have no doubt they can and will retcon whatever they need to, to make it work. And I'm ok with that. I'd rather whatever they come up with be good than they try to keep one continuous lore.

If they add new people my guess is that at least half of the new people will be guys (if not more). TN seems to think guys don't sell DLC, so I can't see them pushing a lot of male DLC characters if they won't even make clothes for them.

Eolz

I can't really see anyone leaving the roster outside of Ein and guest characters tbh. Probably Leon and Phase 4, could get clones with the same movesets, like Rachel got moves from Spartan or Nyotengu from Tengu.

Outside of completely new characters, wouldn't be surprised to see Irene get in, she was one of the most requested characters in 5 (and maybe even before).

https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/871724279792103426

DBj8k-9U0AELZtt.jpg:large

Thats a beautiful outfit. Just, wow!

LegendX48

so something fishy is going on on my end. The rodeo costumes are not up for me on the psn store or the in-game store. That and everytime I boot up the game it tells me there's a costume catalog installation missing. I have everything right before the alluring mandarin dresses. Meanwhile I can buy the rodeo bundle on steam no problem

edit: the costume stuff only goes up to the shrine maiden outfits but there's no costume catalog for them.

edit 2: is it season pass only right now and that's why it's not there?

Hubb

Nice! All platforms?

No idea sorry. I should have just said PS4. I don't know how the PC version works and I don't have a Xbox so I have no idea if it is offered free there.

so something fishy is going on on my end. The rodeo costumes are not up for me on the psn store or the in-game store. That and everytime I boot up the game it tells me there's a costume catalog installation missing. I have everything right before the alluring mandarin dresses. Meanwhile I can buy the rodeo bundle on steam no problem

edit: the costume stuff only goes up to the shrine maiden outfits but there's no costume catalog for them.

edit 2: is it season pass only right now and that's why it's not there?

I get the same message most of the time (the missing a catalog one). Rodeo costumes seem hard to find for whatever reason, but if you use the webstore and type "rodeo time" into the search bar all of them will show up.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/search/q=rodeo time

Azuardo

Yeah, I mentioned before, but just go to the store online or from the PS4 and type a unique search term to find them. "Rodeo" works fine and will show them all.

Eolz

That said, I had this issue before since I have the french store: sometimes names can be different if your store isn't in english.
Rodeo should be fine, but some aren't. I find it easier to go the page of the game in the web store, go to the addons and rank by new. Can choose only free ones for the catalogs as well.

Azuardo

That said, I had this issue before since I have the french store: sometimes names can be different if your store isn't in english.
Rodeo should be fine, but some aren't. I find it easier to go the page of the game in the web store, go to the addons and rank by new. Can choose only free ones for the catalogs as well.

Yup, it's generally quite good when filtering things.

My problem with current UK store (not sure if same in other regions) is they removed any way to just jump to an 'all DLC' page, so you literally now can only jump to the latest stuff, which cuts off after you reach a certain date. So now yeah, I do have to search for the game and go to add-ons that way. It's more of a pain in the arse now because it's much more pages and buttons to click through compared to jumping straight to 'all dlc' and filtering by latest in a handful of jumps.

Sincerely,

Sony Europe.

LegendX48

I get the same message most of the time (the missing a catalog one). Rodeo costumes seem hard to find for whatever reason, but if you use the webstore and type "rodeo time" into the search bar all of them will show up.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/search/q=rodeo time

Yeah, I mentioned before, but just go to the store online or from the PS4 and type a unique search term to find them. "Rodeo" works fine and will show them all.

I'm dumb and misread before >.>

Finally got the rodeo costume I wanted along with the costume catalog.

Azuardo

ShopTo (cannot link here) doing 12 months of PS Plus (UK) for £27.85.

I've bought one, so can do online again once I register the code some time. Thought it might interest some UK account people too.

edit - 27.70 here now

It seemed like the designer didn't put too much thought into Momiji's bikini, it is just blue with white stripes, while the other girls have something design wise to make it standout or be unique.

Azuardo

tbh it's lucky the majority of these are as unique/elaborate as they are. Most swimsuits in games are pretty simple bikinis or one pieces. But I guess that's why TN teamed up with them. Perhaps a few mehs, but most are pretty interesting/cool/different.

Lots of varied eye candy in this set, although some others are rather plain. I'll pick up at least a few from this set, rather than my usual one.

Eolz

Big fan of Marie, Christie, Phase 4 and Nyotengu.
Might actually buy Christie for the long hair! Man, really hope we'll get plenty of hair options in DOA6, same for the males.

Hubb

Big fan of Marie, Christie, Phase 4 and Nyotengu.
Might actually buy Christie for the long hair! Man, really hope we'll get plenty of hair options in DOA6, same for the males.

Same. I've been playing Tekken a decent amount since it released and I am surprised at how much I am using the customization options the game offers (though I wish it had more, since a lot of it winds up being different tshirts).

I do not want that level in DoA for a number of reasons, but I would really like an expanded accessory/hair option in DoA. Hats on/off, color palettes to at least dye hair if not costumes, different types of glasses, and hairstyles you can pick from that aren't just tied to certain costumes.

Squire

Banned
They're probably gonna implement some sort of customization system since all of their contemporaries have and they know their audience will spend on cosmetics. Not going to get my hopes up for something more than rudimentary though. They just don't put enough work into the DLC to inspire that kind of confidence.

That said, the Gust pack might be the first actual full costume pack I buy. A bunch of these really look like genuine designer swimwear.

Azuardo

I'm actually conflicted on the customisation. I feel like too much of it could take away from what makes the characters unique, so it depends what they do with it. Hair options and some add-ons like hats and glasses I'm okay with. But I'm not sure I want full-on customising of clothes. Maybe the different levels of tan from DOAX3 or something. I'd be cool with that.

Hubb

I'm actually conflicted on the customisation. I feel like too much of it could take away from what makes the characters unique, so it depends what they do with it. Hair options and some add-ons like hats and glasses I'm okay with. But I'm not sure I want full-on customising of clothes. Maybe the different levels of tan from DOAX3 or something. I'd be cool with that.

I know I don't want full on customizing, and I think I don't have to worry about TN implementing that.

Gimme Soul Calibur style create a character in DOA6

No thanks. I am sure there is some world/timeline where TN would get a big enough budget to pull off really great character creation tool, but the shit we'll get in this timeline will wind up making the game look worse overall. And I mean I am not a big Tekken/Soul Calibur fan, but I have seen some of the shit people make in the character creator. No thanks.

Eolz

Yeah I don't want more than the current clothing customization depth for DOA.
Just more options for hair/hats and better preview options.
I'm not in favor of hair dye tbh, but could be worse. They still got the best looking hair out there imo (for fighting games), outside of collision issues.

ShinMaruku

There won't be out and out customization but different hair styles and colours might well be a thing. Also expect more transformation hair style changes too.

of course character creator's lead to shit (especially tekken where 90% of all the customization items are literally joke items). But damn if it isnt satisfying to create actual cool shit. I was addicted to SC3, and despite SC4 and 5 dropping the ball on single player content, I still played the shit out of those games to unlock and customize create a souls

and unlike tekken, you could actually make cool shit in Sc

Korigama

I considered Create-a-Soul one of the worst things to happen to Soul Calibur, but I'm probably in the minority on that. Definitely wouldn't want anything like that in DoA.

More hair/hat options could be okay. Wouldn't want Tekken/VF levels of customization.

Squire

Banned
There won't be out and out customization but different hair styles and colours might well be a thing. Also expect more transformation hair style changes too.

Nah, unless they're just so lazy as to not want to implement a system at all, there will be. Because their competitors are doing it, but also because, even more than that, they can do something their competitors can't: monetize individual items. The fanbase has been primed for it through DOA5 and whatever fraction of it carries over to DOAX.

I don't even think it's worth worrying about the items looking as bad as they do in Namco's games, either. All the girls are already versions of the same basic character model and that's let them copy paste costumes like crazy, as we know. It's not much more difficult to cut those assets into pieces and let you mix/max them. (Relatively speaking, that is. You still have to account collision, clipping, etc.)

It'd be leaving money on the table not to and not advancing the game down an avenue they could very likely top the competition in. Like, what is DOA the best at, really? They're not going to do a better online system or story mode than anyone else. I half-joke all the time VF6 could come out and I'd drop the game like a bad habit.

Let's be honest: Most people probably like DOA because of the girls and the outfits (the ones putting money into the game, especially.) At a certain point, it's smart to lean into your selling points if for no other reason than that they are selling points.

Top Bottom