• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA5 Last Round hits 8 millon downloads - Free Mila until Feb 7th

AdamT

I played Last Round a ton at launch and previously on the Vita. It'd be nice to get a group of new/lapsed players together to fight online.

I would like to see 6 and what the new tech looks like. This time it won't be an upscale from PS3 like LR (mostly) was.

Arklite

Before people shit on Sega vf has been in solid collaboration content for years so the update is making them cash. They just make the team make Miku games.

That sounds amusingly terrible, but if it helps them make a resurgence like SNK, all the better.

Tyaren

But there was a reason for it, characters got a BIG upgrade. The characters looked really good for a PS360 game.

Character models don't just look really good, they imo looked amazing for the last gen. :) Even current gen Tekken 7 doesn't pump as many polygons and intricate modelling into it's characters:

27703636594_fa4446a9c5_o.png

And it's not just the girls but the men too were modelled with extreme care and detail (at least in their default outfits). These are some portraits shots that I took in the old Xbox360 version:

thelastword

Banned
So much DOA news...are they going to announce DOA6 soon?

I really don't know why Tecmo won't patch this game on PS4.PRO.......This game needs some AA and AF badly........

Anyway, I have the main game, it's great that LR hit 8 million.....

Arklite

Character models don't just look really good, they imo looked amazing for the last gen. :) Even current gen Tekken 7 doesn't pump as many polygons and intricate modelling into it's characters

Not sure about all that, but a new DOA should definitely take note of Tekken 7's cloth physics. It adds notable flair to characters, stuff like Nina and Xiaoyu's new outfits stand out so much more because of it.

I can't see DOA becoming an exclusive again (I'm not counting DOAX obviously).

With the amount of money they are presumably making off DLC + merch, i don't think exclusivity is as big an issue for them as it might've been previously. They could also probably have a DOA6/6+/6LR etc and have those go to other platforms if its an issue later.

ODDI

Yep I've redownloaded the game after collecting Tina and Christie which were also given for free months back.

Tyaren

Not sure about all that, but a new DOA should definitely take note of Tekken 7's cloth physics. It adds notable flair to characters, stuff like Nina and Xiaoyu's new outfits stand out so much more because of it.

I agree with the cloth physics. What the character models overall are concerned the Tekken 7 models are actually comparatively low polygon if you look just a little closer:

tekken7-lucky-chloe-screenshot-sept2016.png

tekken7-kazumi-screenshot-sept2016-2.png

Especially Chloes's hair and paws but also Kazumi's ears and profile show the poly count is pretty low.

Vlaphor

The PC version of DOA5 LR can look pretty amazing as well with some injectors and some mods.

I was going to post some screencaps...and then I realized I don't necessarily have any SFW ones. Still, the game still looks pretty good to me, and runs at 4k 60fps thanks to some additions.

Screw it, here's an image that isn't NSFW by the most basic definitions. Ignore the clipping, since the animation was brought over from another game.

http://imgur.com/N28xq5y/

Vlaphor

too bad the pc version is garbage

Mods and injectors have fixed quite a bit of what was wrong with the initial release, plus there's also a bunch of new costumes being made by modders as well (some even SFW). Still, the "bundle only" dlc situation on PC is kinda fucked.

big_z

...It... already is...?

The only thing "locked" are characters and the story mode.

you get like 4 characters... trophies are locked as well unless you buy the full game.

its more of a demo than a f2p model. the full base game should be free and make money off the cosmetic dlc. its there main source of income and if they want to make more then a influx of new players would help. right now theyre just milking the die hard fans.

8 millon downloads but how many people pay to buy something, characters or costumes?. I guess is making money for them anyway.

Skilletor

you get like 4 characters... trophies are locked as well unless you buy the full game.

its more of a demo than a f2p model. the full base game should be free and make money off the cosmetic dlc. its there main source of income and if they want to make more then a influx of new players would help. right now theyre just milking the die hard fans.

It's not F2P, it's free to start, just like KI.

And...I dunno, 8 million downloads and 5 years of support says to me it's more than milking die hard fans. Why should the base game be free? lol.

Mods and injectors have fixed quite a bit of what was wrong with the initial release, plus there's also a bunch of new costumes being made by modders as well (some even SFW). Still, the "bundle only" dlc situation on PC is kinda fucked.

Nah, because we still don't have functional online on PC, breakable costumes, and any of the new stages the PS4/XB1 versions are getting. I don't care about mods, I care about parity from the developer. I'd settle for just getting lobbies on PC.

BadWolf

Thanks for the heads up, I got Tina for free during the last give away so with Mila I now have both the ladies that interested me the most.

its more of a demo than a f2p model.

No it isn't.

It gives you access to various modes, tutorials and even to online play. You can also unlock a surprising number of costumes for free.

DOA5 has the best implementation of an F2P model for a fighter yet.

Tyaren

The PC version of DOA5 LR can look pretty amazing as well with some injectors and some mods.

I was going to post some screencaps...and then I realized I don't necessarily have any SFW ones.

If I may, lemme help you out with some from Last Round on PS4:

31861659690_67d305f23a_o.png

31396321664_b58526232a_o.png

31427300323_a58c0ca67f_o.png

32118773711_870d78a201_o.png

big_z

It's not F2P, it's free to start, just like KI.

And...I dunno, 8 million downloads and 5 years of support says to me it's more than milking die hard fans. Why should the base game be free? lol.

downloads mean nothing if you have a free version factoring into that number and there's few people playing the game, buying dlc.

Making the base game free is the valve model. Bring people in and a % will want to buy stuff to dress up their waifu.

It gives you access to various modes, tutorials and even to online play. You can also unlock a surprising number of costumes for free.

DOA5 has the best implementation of an F2P model for a fighter yet.

A lot of the free costumes are shared across characters. There's about 5 unique ones per character that you can unlock, some have a few more. There's like 40+ DLC outfits per character.

KI does it better. Only thing you're limited to is character rotation.

Korigama

Nah, because we still don't have functional online on PC, breakable costumes, and any of the new stages the PS4/XB1 versions are getting. I don't care about mods, I care about parity from the developer. I'd settle for just getting lobbies on PC.
I recall reading that implementation of physics related to the Soft Engine was also something unique to the PS4/XB1 versions, IIRC. No idea if the extra hairstyles were as well, though (just that PS3/360 didn't get them).

Vlaphor

Mods have added breakable costumes. Still, I will admit that the PC version is lagging behind the console versions in terms of official options...on the other hand, the console versions don't have the Beach Paradise mod, so it all evens out for me.

Ferr986

Character models don't just look really good, they imo looked amazing for the last gen. :) Even current gen Tekken 7 doesn't pump as many polygons and intricate modelling into it's characters:

And it's not just the girls but the men too were modelled with extreme care and detail (at least in their default outfits). These are some portraits shots that I took in the old Xbox360 version:

Yep, I agree. It tells that LR characters still holds up.

Really curious what they will do with 6 with more power, also if they'll make notable character redesigns again.

Skilletor

downloads mean nothing if you have a free version factoring into that number and there's few people playing the game, buying dlc.

Making the base game free is the valve model. Bring people in and a % will want to buy stuff to dress up their waifu.

The downloads is specifically for the free version. What you want to happen is literally exactly what is happening. Wanting the base game free is silly. Why should you get a game with a robust story, training, tutorials, online modes, outfits, musical options, voice options, etc...for free?

For a fighting game, KI and DoA are the best models. Period. Wanting more than that just screams entitlement to me.

I assume the reason we continue to get support is because people are buying DLC. I don't know why you assume people aren't. Especially when many of these are licensed outfits from popular anime franchises.

Rymuth

8 millon downloads but how many people pay to buy something, characters or costumes?. I guess is making money for them anyway.

In this thread alone, we've had someone admit they've spent $150 on dlc alone (sorry inuhanyou!) - the costume whales are making K-T more than happy and continue to be cited in their financials for their record profits

From an old thread about K-T
Sales of Dead or Alive 5 free to play have exceeded 3 million units and helped expand download contents sales for Koei Tecmo. Download sales for packaged titles have increased and the distribution of periodically released DLC has led to a long term increase in profits. This year almost 3,500m yen was bought in through download contents alone.

big_z

The downloads is specifically for the free version. What you want to happen is literally exactly what is happening. Wanting the base game free is silly. Why should you get a game with a robust story, training, tutorials, online modes, outfits, musical options, voice options, etc...for free?

For a fighting game, KI and DoA are the best models. Period. Wanting more than that just screams entitlement to me.

No one is going out to buy the game anymore. It might have hit 8 million downloads but the actual player base is tiny.... like single percentage tiny I would imagine.

The model they had was fine when the game was newer but pretty much all the profit is made from the outfit DLC at this point. Why wouldn't you want to maximize the number of people that could buy the dlc? The die hards that have stuck with the game wont go anywhere and you bring in lots of potentially new dlc buyers.

Skilletor

No one is going out to buy the game anymore. It might have hit 8 million downloads but the actual player base is tiny.... like single percentage tiny I would imagine.

The model they had was fine when the game was newer but pretty much all the profit is made from the outfit DLC at this point. Why wouldn't you want to maximize the number of people that could buy the dlc? The die hards that have stuck with the game wont go anywhere and you bring in lots of potentially new dlc buyers.

Because I care about fighters and don't think devaluing full packages like DoA is a good way to maintain support and get future iterations to release. I also don't think the playerbase is going to expand if the game is suddenly free. Why? Because you can already go online with the free version. Why would there be a sudden influx of people playing if you give away the game for free when you pretty much have that already? All you'd do is create the image that the game isn't worth money, that if you wait, you'll just get all the characters eventually, so why support the game at all. Just wait.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
In this thread alone, we've had someone admit they've spent $150 on dlc alone (sorry inuhanyou!) - the costume whales are making K-T more than happy and continue to be cited in their financials for their record profits

From an old thread about K-T

3,500m yen converts to how much USD?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Pai works just as she does in VF.

Not really because the systems are different. Her movelist may be the same (or close to the same) but its function changes when the system doesn't. Pai's 11f jab in VF makes P->6P // P->throw mixup worthless if your reactions are good enough and her low throws beat out the strongest option select in the game. for example.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

8million people have tried it, some of have bought the characters alone because they don't care about the story mode. Others have bought the story mode. Both of them (or some others) have bought the DLC outfits.

How is that not F2P? It's free-to-try-pay-us-to-support-us, just like every other F2P title.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Technically Team ninja did both approahes. Retail LR is a full sized game with a lot of disc costumes already there and most characters already included and the story mode included..

So those of us who purchased the game full price also spend on costume DLC after that.

The F2P version that's digital is also a way for Team Ninja to get players.

It feels like focusing on both the F2P aspect where people would not have looked twice at the game unless it was free and the retail aspect where you get tons of content up front to start you off is a brilliant strategy. Atleast in terms of making people comfortable with parting with their cash

DR2K

Banned
Downloads for free games ain't shit. Player base for DoA is not anywhere near 8m...

Well it's the only 3D fighter on current consoles. Everything else is dead as fuck or trying to recoup costs at the arcade.

Top Bottom