• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA5 Last Round hits 8 millon downloads - Free Mila until Feb 7th

Rymuth

*TRAILER*

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round: Core Fighters is free-to-play, but the catch is that it starts you out with only features the four of Ayane, Hayate, Kasumi, and Ryu Hayabusa as its ”core" characters. Players basically get to try out the rest of the game and its different modes for free, and can purchase the rest of the characters as DLC.

To commemorate the milestone, Koei Tecmo is giving away Mila as a free character on PlayStation 4 for PlayStation Plus subscribers, which you can grab right now with the game in North America and Europe. Mila will be free until February 7, 2017.

PS US Store
PS EU Store

Playstation+ required

thanks, Siliconera

Bounce me out if old

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
DOA6 this E3 on Sony stage?
Hayashi said they have several Ps4 exclusive titles

big_z

honestly I doubt a lot of people are buying this game new anymore. I think it should a ps+ game of the month or just f2p in general. All the profits must be form dlc at this point anyway and it would help inject people into multiplayer.

virtua fighter is still dead and this garbage hits 8 million downloads.

the world we live in is so unfair

It sucks, but I ain't complaining about it too much.
sepXYaW.jpg

Arklite

That's on Sega. There's nothing stopping them from releasing in this exact manner, f2p with a handful of characters or a full version purchase. Or the Tekken way of releasing in Japanese arcades and holding events to generate revenue, interest, and feedback.

As for DOA, it's a solid game and Tecmo is handling its success very well.

sibarraz

Banned
DOA 5 is a good game though, isn't better than VF or TEKKEN but I think that this entry did a good job

The ludicrous DLC is another story

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Ehhh DOA5 is a well crafted fighting game if you look outside the fan service and Tecmo has no fault on Sega being shit handling their IPs. Try aiming that salt at Sega.

Korigama

I was one of those downloads, but deleted it over the weekend once my copy of the full game arrived.
I'd buy the full game but it's stuck at $40 digitally. Should be $20 tops.
Goes for just under $22 new physically on Amazon right now, if you do decide against going digital (I got mine when it was going for less than $20 last week, though).
If you don't like the fan service then fine but it's far from garbage as a fighting game
This.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Playing DOA has always been so addicting to me. Unfortunately Team Ninja has learned the art of the microtransaction :/ I can honestly say DOA5 is the only game i've ever spent over 150 bucks on outside of the main purchase just on costumes alone :/

I still have to friggen buy mai at some point.

I get reusing all the assets for DOAX3, but with all the damn money i've pumped into DOA5, i feel like they have no excuse but to blow my face off with a next gen DOA6, especially since they have been using the same assets since 2012.

Not as bad as Itagaki reusing the same damn doll faces and models from DOA2 to DOA4 but its getting there.

PsionBolt

As much as I dislike recent DLC trends, I have to say, fighting games are a really, really good genre for this kind of distribution and pricing scheme. I'm kind of surprised it's not more common. In my experience, many fighting game players only really use one to three characters anyway, and a lot of folks use the "protagonists" -- so most consumers end up getting a great deal, and companies don't lose out because they're supported by costume whales.

LUXURY

Only reason I continue to play this game is Sarah. It's gotten old to me and the DLC is just tragic and a bit embarrassing in both content and price.

Griss

I love Mila's design but she's just about the least fun character to play as for me.

Anyway, enough of this old game, Dead or Alive 6 when? If they produce a good game and have a Core Fighters version out at launch they could have a ton of success with it.

And as SFV has shown, they better be ready with a proper story mode at launch, hopefully better than the fun but low-budget and silly story mode of DoA5.

Korigama

As much as I dislike recent DLC trends, I have to say, fighting games are a really, really good genre for this kind of distribution and pricing scheme. I'm kind of surprised it's not more common. In my experience, many fighting game players only really use one to three characters anyway, and a lot of folks use the "protagonists" -- so most consumers end up getting a great deal, and companies don't lose out because they're supported by costume whales.
SFV demonstrated why it doesn't work out so well when attempted with a full game, rather than F2P versions like Core Fighters. Paying real money for DLC characters in SFV isn't mandatory, but grinding Fight Money to earn them requires a far more significant time investment than the average, non-competitive player is willing to put in for them. And for people who do play competitively, not having access to all characters in order to familiarize with match-ups is less than ideal, even with the ones they specialize in playing taken into account (it's just as important to knowing the ins and outs of your favorites by understanding how to have them approach fighting characters whom you don't use). Costumes are also priced cheaper in something like DoA5 than SFV, IIRC.

Either way, I treated Core Fighters like a demo more than anything else.

danmaku

Only reason I continue to play this game is Sarah. It's gotten old to me and the DLC is just tragic and a bit embarrassing in both content and price.

Yeah, it's so tragic that they were able to support the game and the competitive scene up until now instead of doing the right thing and letting it die a month after release.

Tyaren

What? Dead or Alive 5 is an objectively good fighting game.
Unfortunately Koei Tecmo drowns this game in low quality costume DLC for years and continues to mar it's reputation with ever new and weird breast (and now also butt) physics and the DOAX series, but underneath all that lies a good game.

Mike Golf

Yeah, it's so tragic that they were able to support the game and the competitive scene up until now instead of doing the right thing and letting it die a month after release.

I continue to be bewildered at people taking shots at the game's DLC. Each version of DOA5 launched with a very healthy amount of costumes then they continued to release more after launch, what's wrong with releasing a steady stream of cosmetic content for a game instead of abandoning it a year to two years after release? Of course when a game is 4 to 5 years old with a consistent release schedule of DLC it's going to have A LOT of DLC which, surprise, adds up to a lot of money.

Sure you can criticize the fan service nature of the majority of the DLC but the amount? If each version launched with a paltry selection of costumes in an obvious attempt to push DLC sales then fire away, but that's not the case here.

Really hope DOA6 is revealed this year, DOA5 is great but those assets are about 5 years old and while the slight inprovements in LR were fine we need an overhaul.

Eolz

Nice milestone! Time for DOA6 to be announced this year :p

DOA6 this E3 on Sony stage?
Hayashi said they have several Ps4 exclusive titles

I can't see DOA becoming an exclusive again (I'm not counting DOAX obviously).
Hayashi often talks for more than Team Ninja btw.

It's an excellent fighting game though, really underrated.

It seems Pai has had a boob-job for DOA.

Talking of which I main Pai in VF so how does she translate in DOA.

I'm not a great VF player, but they're mostly the same. VF designers helped on making the VF characters in DOA.

Korigama

Hitomi > Mila by several magnitudes.
And why bother offering Mila when she's not even in DOAX3?
Though I do prefer Hitomi between the two of them specifically, Mila's not bad. That said, she is far from one of the more popular characters, hence the omission you cited (could argue that this is just Tecmo throwing her a bone).

Arklite

I get reusing all the assets for DOAX3, but with all the damn money i've pumped into DOA5, i feel like they have no excuse but to blow my face off with a next gen DOA6, especially since they have been using the same assets since 2012.

Yeah DOA5's base assets are showing their age at this point. Imagining DOA6 in full current gen form is exciting, though I hope they do some massive retweaking to the animations.

petran79

Banned
SFV demonstrated why it doesn't work out so well when attempted with a full game, rather than F2P versions like Core Fighters. Paying real money for DLC characters in SFV isn't mandatory, but grinding Fight Money to earn them requires a far more significant time investment than the average, non-competitive player is willing to put in for them. And for people who do play competitively, not having access to all characters in order to familiarize with match-ups is less than ideal, even with the ones they specialize in playing taken into account (it's just as important to knowing the ins and outs of your favorites by understanding how to have them approach fighting characters whom you don't use). Costumes are also priced cheaper in something like DoA5 than SFV, IIRC.

Either way, I treated Core Fighters like a demo more than anything else.

Dont competitive players due to sponsors and tournaments get games for free or at huge discounts anyway?

Inuhanyou

Yeah DOA5's base assets are showing their age at this point. Imagining DOA6 in full current gen form is exciting, though I hope they do some massive retweaking to the animations.

yep. animations, character models, stages, all that shit.

DOA5 and DOAX3 are not 'proper' 8th gen games.

Fighters usually have the advantage of saving the polygons for the character models, but now even Nioh has better character models than DOA5 and that's a much more open action game that looks better in general.

Mediking

yep. animations, character models, stages, all that shit.

DOA5 and DOAX3 are not 'proper' 8th gen games.

Fighters usually have the advantage of saving the polygons for the character models, but now even Nioh has better character models than DOA5 and that's a much more open action game that looks better in general.

Stop the lies. DOA5 is fluid and has fun looking stages. Even more than SFV.

Korigama

Dont competitive players due to sponsors and tournaments get games for free or at huge discounts anyway?
Not all competitive players are sponsored. I'm accounting for tournament goers in general with that, along with players who spend plenty of hours competing online or attending local meet-ups on a regular basis, not just players who've made names for themselves. Basically, anyone who sticks around to learn the mechanics and continue improving, not players only there for the story or other single-player modes specifically.

Ferr986

Nah, DOA5 stages were a downgrade compared to the old games.

But there was a reason for it, characters got a BIG upgrade. The characters looked really good for a PS360 game.

I wonder what they could do with PS4/XB1.

Inuhanyou

Fluidity and fun looking stages is not what i'm talking about. I'm referring to the current gen leap DOA needs to be at home in the 8th gen.

The 1080p res makes the low res soupy textures stand out all the more, especially in the grey city, factory, oil platform, war torn stages.

Its weird how DOA4, DOA3 and DOA2(as well as DOA2U) all had way more colorful and dynamic stages on way weaker hardware.

DOA4's stages look much better than DOA5's stages and that was a launch title for 360.

DOA5 also committed the sin of taking out dynamic snow and dynamic sand, so when you walk on it, your feet clip right through instead of making trails

ShinMaruku

It seems Pai has had a boob-job for DOA.

Talking of which I main Pai in VF so how does she translate in DOA.
Paint works just as she does in Vf. And last round launched free to play and they have 5 season passes, game makes graphics. Before people shit on Sega vf has been in solid collaboration content for years so the update is making them cash. They just make the team make Miku games.

As to why other fgs don't have this model, team ninja has the art team and pipeline exactly for this. No other fighting game team has invested in such a way.

Top Bottom