• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Risng 2: Case West announced (360 Exclusive)

Whichever way you look at it's an odd decision for Capcom to put exclusive content on the 360 when they should also be trying to raise awareness about the sequel among PC and PS3 gamers who haven't played the original. It's not like Capcom owes 360 owners anything. I wonder how those who do think it's a good idea would feel about Metal Gear Rising having exclusive content or pre-release DLC on PS3.

stupei said:
All those fans of the first game who don't own the platform it's on are going to be so angry.
more like all the fans of the second game who would love to play the rest of the game?

Skilotonn said:
Remember where the fans actually originated, where they played the original, and where it got its fame - DR2 isn't even out yet.
and they're already doing such a bang up job of getting new fans in on a new console!

yeah, chances are I'll just pick up these cases and pass on the main game. Or at least wait a while before getting the main game. I already have Case Zero and if this is the same price, or even 10, I'll get it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Cobra84 said:
Multi-console and gaming PC owners?

I was forced to buy Dead Rising 1 on the 360, but I want Dead Rising 2 for the PC (assuming the port isn't complete ass).

I didn't know that buying a game that's only on a certain console meant that you were forced to buy it - I wish I was forced to buy great things more often! :lol

stupei said:
I can understand people who don't own the platform being upset because they want to play it but "fans" seems like the strangest label you could possibly pick for a userbase where the majority aren't even going to know who Frank West is.

Exactly.

This is a bonus for the fans who actually know and have played through the original game, and want to close the gap to the sequel - if you didn't play the first one, there would be no gap to close since you don't even know Frank.

It's kind of hard to be a fan of something you haven't played, if you had a 360 and sold it, that's your own fault.

Shurs

Skilotonn said:
I didn't know that buying a game that's only on a certain console meant that you were forced to buy it - I wish I was forced to buy great things more often! :lol

Exactly.

This is a bonus for the actual fans who actually know and have played through the original game, and want to close the gap to the sequel - if you didn't play the first one, there would be no gap to close since you don't even know Frank.

It's kind of hard to be a fan of something you haven't played, if you had a 360 and sold it, that's your own fault.

Skilotonn
xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
(Today, 07:54 AM)
Reply | Quote

Chairhome

Saw this this morning and I'm a little sad. Was planning on getting the PC version, since it will look and run great. Now I'm not sure if I want to get the 360 version instead. I wonder if this epilogue will require the 360 version and a completed save. Did the Prince of Persia epilogue require a completed save? If not, I might get the PC version still...

Xater

"Hey guys you wanna see the epilogue? Pay up motherfuckers!"

This shit is seriously turning me off. Dead Rising 2 from the bargain bin it is.

Skilotonn said:
This is a bonus for the actual fans who actually know and have played through the original game, and want to close the gap to the sequel - if you didn't play the first one, there would be no gap to close since you don't even know Frank.

makes sense now. only people who bought the first game are "real fans" who knew the game before it got all big and popular, and only they should enjoy Frank West!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Faceless Master said:
and they're already doing such a bang up job of getting new fans in on a new console!

If you ask me, it doesn't make any sense to even port a game where an exclusivity deal prevents you from porting over the original because no matter what, there will ALWAYS be a portion of the base that haven't played the original - I would never release something where people couldn't get in from the start.

So again, if they don't even know where these cases are linking from, it doesn't make too much sense to put them there in the first place - I know I wouldn't buy a link to something that I can't connect to the new game story- or gameplay-wise.

Haunted

stupei said:
DLC that doesn't require the game for purchase might prove to be a better money-maker than using DLC as a means of keeping people from selling back the game.
That's a very real possibility, especially for campaign-focused games like this. Publishers are getting better exploring those revenue opportunities as the generation unfolds.

I think I'm going to slide my pre-order money over and get DR2 used. I'm tired of this half-assing.

edit: wait, how the hell do the rest of use 'not know who Frank is'?

onken

This "exclusive for the fans" logic just baffles me. How exactly does it enrich the lives of the "fans" by stopping a separate bunch of people from playing it?

Skilotonn said:
If you ask me, it doesn't make any sense to even port a game where an exclusivity deal prevents you from porting over the original because no matter what, there will ALWAYS be a portion of the base that haven't played the original - I would never release something where people couldn't get in from the start.

Holy shit I'm glad you're not in charge of anything games related. Maybe that should be up to the fucking players to decide?

Shurs

Skilotonn said:

So again, if they don't even know where these cases are linking from, it doesn't make too much sense to put them there in the first place - I know I wouldn't buy a link to something that I can't connect to the new game story- or gameplay-wise.

So you're against Metal Gear Rising coming to 360?

Skilotonn said:

There is nothing for "fans", it's all about squeezing money out of people.

DR2 also does not need knowledge of the first game even. Case Zero didn't need anyone to have played the 1st to get any part of it either. It's basically just DLC the other platforms are not getting.... yet

Prime crotch said:
This is showing some real commitment for the PS3 version; at least throw a demo out to see how's the port.

I wouldn't be surprised that the PS3 version runs about as good as DR1 on the Wii did.

Skilotonn said:

Exactly.

I played the original Dead Rising on 360 and loved it.

I also own a PS3, Wii and a very good gaming PC.

Now that I have a great gaming PC I want to play all of the multiplatform games I can on that (especially since Case Zero on 360 has a horrendous framerate and looked ugly as sin) so as a "fan" of the original and Frank, I feel I should be given the option to play it on PC, also. I didn't like buying Case Zero on 360, but thought it was a one-off, so I did. Now with more of these installments happening I want them on PC.

Talamius

Skilotonn said:

You know what makes less sense? Effectively cutting the amount of people willing to give you money in half.

The DLC may/may not make it to PC, but I bet this exclusive is just timed for PS3 owners.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Faceless Master said:
makes sense now. only people who bought the first game are "real fans" who knew the game before it got all big and popular, and only they should enjoy Frank West!

Nice try! :lol

So you want me to spend money on a story with someone who would just feel like he was thrown in, and most-likely will never be touched on again in DR2?

Sure, someone who wants to buy DR2 would have heard of Frank, but you know they aren't going to be spending time to say who he is and what he's done in the original - if the length of Case Zero is the going to be the inspiration of this new DLC.

If you never played DR1, would YOU spend money on DLC to play with someone you haven't experienced a full game with, and won't experience in the game you're going to buy?

Be honest.

With the complaining of pricing of actual full downloadable games on here, I sincerely doubt it, and if they did, they bought it without knowing its purpose.

Gravijah

Skilotonn said:
If you never played DR1, would YOU spend money on DLC to play with someone you haven't experienced a full game with, and won't experience in the game you're going to buy?

To play more of a game I enjoyed.

Zenith

Banned
Skilotonn said:

"Actual fans"? Fuck you, xbot troll.

These DLC's are XBLA games and therefore don't require owning Dead Rising 2 on 360. So you people can buy the main game whichever platform you choose.

Skilotonn said:
Nice try! :lol

So you want me to spend money on a story with someone who would just feel like he was thrown in, and most-likely will never be touched on again in DR2?

Sure, someone who wants to buy DR2 would have heard of Frank, but you know they aren't going to be spending time to say who he is and what he's done in the original - if the length of Case Zero is the going to be the inspiration of this new DLC.

Be honest.

With the complaining of pricing of actual full downloadable games on here, I sincerely doubt it, and if they did, they bought it without knowing its purpose.

You seem to completely miss the part where this downloadable episode features both characters of DR1 and DR2 as playable and that it serves as a prologue to DR2. It's no different from Case Zero, people want the whole story, they want the whole game.

FrankT

BobTheFork said:
I think I'm going to slide my pre-order money over and get DR2 used. I'm tired of this half-assing.

edit: wait, how the hell do the rest of use 'not know who Frank is'?

Never picked up that 360 eh...

Anyhow, I'm not sure how any of the discussion really matters. It's obvious this has been in the works for sometime now. Inafune said early on in the process 360 users would "get something extra". Here we are today with the two DLCs. It's like any other DLC exclusive marketing. Just like Sony with EA all year long with various titles. While other users may not like (it) it's simply business as usual in the industry. Not sure that changes anytime soon, but the deal has been sealed for quite some time.

stupei

I keep forgetting that GAF sometimes thinks it's actually representative of the mainstream or majority of gamers.

Frank West being compared to Dante and Gordon Freeman after one game? Really?

Anyway: does anyone know how well the first game sold in Japan?

I3rand0

BobTheFork said:
Yeah, how did people enjoy DMC4 on 360, they didn't even know who Dante was.

:lol

and how did people enjoy MGS 2 when it was released on the original Xbox, Jet Set Radio Future, Dead or Alive 3, etc.

What a fun game this is to play!

Gravijah

stupei said:
I keep forgetting that GAF sometimes thinks it's actually representative of the mainstream or majority of gamers.

I don't think people were comparing them like that...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Shurs said:
So you're against Metal Gear Rising coming to 360?

Does MGS: Rising have anything to do story-wise with any of the previous Metal Gears? Isn't it a stand-alone game?

I'm seriously asking because I have zero interest in the game, and it looks like it's a stand-alone.

onken said:
Holy shit I'm glad you're not in charge of anything games related. Maybe that should be up to the fucking players to decide?

If you like going into games half-way through the universe, power to you. I said that *I* wouldn't do it, you and I obviously have different ideals and I never pushed mine on you or anyone else.

BattleMonkey said:
There is nothing for "fans", it's all about squeezing money out of people.

DR2 also does not need knowledge of the first game even. Case Zero didn't need anyone to have played the 1st to get any part of it either. It's basically just DLC the other platforms are not getting.... yet

It's additional story DLC - if people feel it's money-squeezing, they don't need to buy it.

Going by the general view of the thread for the DLC, people here loved the hell of it so don't just label it as something like that though.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I played the original Dead Rising on 360 and loved it.

I also own a PS3, Wii and a very good gaming PC.

Now that I have a great gaming PC I want to play all of the multiplatform games I can on that (especially since Case Zero on 360 has a horrendous framerate and looked ugly as sin) so as a "fan" of the original and Frank, I feel I should be given the option to play it on PC, also. I didn't like buying Case Zero on 360, but thought it was a one-off, so I did. Now with more of these installments happening I want them on PC.

That's for you, sure.

But business-wise and for the reasons I posted above, why port something that most wouldn't get the point of? You can't just assume everyone is in the same situation that you're in.

Misterinenja said:
These DLC's are XBLA games and therefore don't require owning Dead Rising 2 on 360. So you people can buy the main game whichever platform you choose.
i hope this is indeed another stand alone thing. if so, i hope it is designed with a base level character.

i am buying DR2 on PC even if this is just add on content. so capcom, you lose my $5 if you don't make this stand alone.

i'm not pissed, even though i'm not getting the 360 version, but i have to tell you there would be just as much bitching if it was exclusive to the PS3 version.

you can't be for exclusive titles and against exclusive DLC I don't think.

if you are complaining about it and wouldn't be if it was PS3 exclusive DLC, then you are a hypocrite, if not, carry on.

Shurs

Skilotonn said:
Does MGS: Rising have anything to do story-wise with any of the previous Metal Gears? Isn't it a stand-alone game?

It takes place in the MGS "universe" and stars a protagonist from MGS 2. How could it not have anything to do, story-wise, with the previous Metal Gears?

stupei

BattleMonkey said:
Apparently you think you do.

When Dead Rising 2 doesn't sell on the PS3, it won't be because the userbase feels jilted and left out in the cold. It'll be because they're barely aware that the property exists or is multiplatform. The reason Capcom should potentially be worried isn't because they might anger fans but that those fans can't be bothered to be angry at all.

But I assume it's all about MS trying to move units in Japan.

Gravijah said:
I don't think people were comparing them like that...

I don't mean it's an offensive comparison to make. I mean that they are well known characters because they have been in several huge and incredibly successful games. It's like saying people are as likely to have heard of Frank West as they are Solid Snake.

Yeef

Skilotonn said:
I'm not sure how you failed to comprehend the sentence since it was very clear. He wanted the game and was forced to get it on 360 because it wasn't available on any other platform.

I have a 360 and bought the original Dead Rising on launch day. That doesn't change the fact that I'd much rather pick it up on PC or PS3. Unlike the first game it's got online play, so I'd much rather play it where more of my friends are. Not to mention I have no intention of paying for Live.

stupei said:

Gordon Freeman was only in one game before the Orange Box as well (since Half-life 2 and the episodes were in the Orange Box you can't really count those).

Shurs

stupei said:
I don't mean it's an offensive comparison to make. I mean that they are well known characters because they have been in several huge and incredibly successful games. It's like saying people are as likely to have heard of Frank West as they are Solid Snake.

I couldn't tell you the storyline for either Devil May Cry or Half-Life.

Top Bottom