• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Risng 2: Case West announced (360 Exclusive)

Skilotonn said:
Nice try! :lol

So you want me to spend money on a story with someone who would just feel like he was thrown in, and most-likely will never be touched on again in DR2?

Sure, someone who wants to buy DR2 would have heard of Frank, but you know they aren't going to be spending time to say who he is and what he's done in the original - if the length of Case Zero is the going to be the inspiration of this new DLC.

If you never played DR1, would YOU spend money on DLC to play with someone you haven't experienced a full game with, and won't experience in the game you're going to buy?

Be honest.

With the complaining of pricing of actual full downloadable games on here, I sincerely doubt it, and if they did, they bought it without knowing its purpose.
so, let me get this straight. people won't want to play as Frank because ... wait, your reply makes no sense at all!!! what kind of nonsense reply is that???

and i guess people who play DR2 on PS3 won't want to know more about who framed Chuck and how he's going to try and clear his name, right?

Capcom should cancel the PS3 version of DR2.

Chairhome said:
Was that a mild spoiler in the teaser?
"They killed thousands in Fortune City and framed me for it"
no. the zombie outbreak in Fortune City was pinned on Chuck. that's the outbreak thats in full swing in Dead Rising 2. I've already seen that in a bunch of previews for DR2.

The Faceless Master said:
so, let me get this straight. people won't want to play as Frank because ... wait, your reply makes no sense at all!!! what kind of nonsense reply is that???

and i guess people who play DR2 on PS3 won't want to know more about who framed Chuck and how he's going to try and clear his name, right?
they're going to be so angered by Marvel vs Capcom 3.

WHO IS THIS FRANK WEST CHARACTER? I DO NOT WANT HIM ON THE ROSTER.

Coxswain

Goddamnit I was leaning toward the PC version, too :(
Oh well; I guess this way I'll get the Case Zero tie-ins and get to play co-op with people I know.

ultron87

The title made me laugh. And Case Zero pretty much took care of my desire to play any more Dead Rising for a while, so I'll just leave it at finding the title humorous.

snap0212

Skilotonn said:
Going by the general view of the thread for the DLC, people here loved the hell of it so don't just label it as something like that though.
I clicked this thread, because I thought they announced a new game. :/

Capcom fooled me in the past with their DLC. Not going to buy any Capcom-labeled DLC ever again.

stupei

Shurs said:
I couldn't tell you the storyline for either Devil May Cry or Half-Life.

There are story lines in Devil May Cry?

Also: I'm not arguing that exclusive content is this awesome thing that should happen for every game. I'm not arguing this should be exclusive either. (And like I said, I don't think it actually will be.) I just think angering people is the least of Capcom's worries when it comes to whether or not Dead Rising 2 is going to sell.

I was pretty bummed about all the free maps and the unique free gameplay mode PS3 users got in Arkham Asylum, for instance, but I still got the game on my 360.
And got it again when I got a PS3, but that's beside the point.
Game sold pretty well on 360, too. Didn't seem to alienate or upset too many people. I understand GTA IV sold okay on PS3. The concern isn't whether or not people are pissed; it's if they know your game exists.

I guess the obnoxious Gamestop advertising is a good start.

snap0212 said:

Capcom fooled me in the past with their DLC. Not going to buy any Capcom-labeled DLC ever again.
fooled you how? the RE5 DLC was ace, as was Case Zero.

stupei

snap0212 said:

Case Zero is a great game that works well as a stand alone. You can try the demo first if you're unsure, though. Not really possible for them to be more upfront than a demo.

Someone mentioned this as being DLC that you don't HAVE to still own the game for, so the designer's are not trying to make you keep you game.. Didn't we JUST have a huge discussion about how that's exactly what they WANT to do? They should want you to own DR2 still or else they get screwed by used games right? The 'Fans' are the people who buy your game without question on Day one. You can either serve them all or none of them dicks, we are all paying the same price because we want to play the game and support you. The money doesn't segregate so you shouldn't either. I'll buy DR2 week two as a 55 dollar used game, thanks!

stupei said:
Case Zero is a great game that works well as a stand alone. You can try the demo first if you're unsure, though. Not really possible for them to be more upfront than a demo.
a demo that was bigger than the demo they put out for Dead Rising 1 to boot.

stupei

BobTheFork said:
Someone mentioned this as being DLC that you don't HAVE to still own the game for, so the designer's are not trying to make you keep you game.. Didn't we JUST have a huge discussion about how that's exactly what they WANT to do? They should want you to own DR2 still or else they get screwed by used games right? The 'Fans' are the people who buy your game without question on Day one. You can either serve them all or none of them dicks, we are all paying the same price because we want to play the game and support you. The money doesn't segregate so you shouldn't either. I'll buy DR2 week two as a 55 dollar used game, thanks!

I didn't say they don't want you to keep it. I said that DLC intended to serve that purpose hasn't been working, so instead of focusing on that Capcom is trying out something different. If the primary function of DLC is to keep games in the original buyer's hand so that another unit will sell new instead of used, it seems that isn't actually working very well. But telling people who don't already own the game that they can buy this thing that you produced primarily with assets you already had might just prove to be more successful. It's just them trying out an alternative revenue stream.

There might be more people out there who don't own the game but will give you $5 than there are people who will keep the game just to spend another $5. If people are going to sell the game back anyway, might as well get their money on the download rather than no money at all.

Shurs said:
All the more reason why exclusive DLC for Dead Rising 2 is a bad idea.

Well yeah, I agreed already that might be a possibility. Like I said, I assume it's a paid exclusive for that very reason targeted at moving units in Japan. (And also meant to make it seem like the 360 didn't really lose an exclusive, since the PS3 still has more 3rd party exclusives in general.) Like most paid exclusives, it's probably timed.

Haunted said:
That's a very real possibility, especially for campaign-focused games like this. Publishers are getting better exploring those revenue opportunities as the generation unfolds.
Situations like this that make me not understand why there is such a backlash against DLC. Yes there are publishers that try to dick over the consumer, but between these Dead Rising stand alones and addons like Burnout Paradise, Borderlands and Fallout 3, why do people hate DLC so much when done right, it adds on to the life of the games (Games mentioned earlier) or it can stand on its own and get money from people that do not want to buy the whole experience.

When done well, DLC I feel is a great idea. Were there REALLY that many bad DLC products put out?

snap0212 said:
Yes, especially the Versus Mode I bought, which was already on the Disc. Should answer your question, I think. :)
prove it was already on the disc (just how many kbs do you think the code for such a mode would be given that netcode and all of the levels and characters and assets already existed).

then tell me why the fuck it matters even if it was.

was it promised as part of RE5? did you think RE5 didn't contain enough content out of the box for what you paid for it? if you did, why did you pay to get more content?

maybe you didn't get your monies worth out of the versus DLC, maybe you did, but no, i don't give a crap if it was on the disc or not.

did you know that when you buy Windows 7 Home it has Ultimate ON THE DISC AND THEY MAKE YOU PAY MORE TO UPGRADE TO IT EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T COST THEM ANYTHING MORE TO SUPPORT IT? ZOMG.

stupei

onken said:
lol what, DR is totally insignificant in Japan, 360 or otherwise.

I asked that already. I asked: how did the first game do in Japan? Nobody answered. So you're saying it didn't sell well? Okay then.

Making something Capcom does exclusive to 360 seems like a move targeted at the Japanese market that MS so desperately wants to stop ignoring them. Otherwise, as I said, it's just a means of saving face on losing an exclusive and either way is probably timed.

stupei said:
I didn't say they don't want you to keep it. I said that DLC intended to serve that purpose hasn't been working, so instead of focusing on that Capcom is trying out something different. If the primary function of DLC is to keep games in the original buyer's hand so that another unit will sell new instead of used, it seems that isn't actually working very well. But telling people who don't already own the game that they can buy this thing that you produced primarily with assets you already had might just prove to be more successful. It's just them trying out an alternative revenue stream.

There might be more people out there who don't own the game but will give you $5 than there are people who will keep the game just to spend another $5. If people are going to sell the game back anyway, might as well get their money on the download rather than no money at all.
Well I don't think we have any information about players keeping games to say that. I kept Borderlands around for DLC, but that's not always the case. I'm not sure if it works but you would think thats what they would want to try to do. I understand that since you can't guarantee players keep it you are taking a crap shoot. True, but there's the flip side of that kind of extended experience (especially before the game comes out) turning some people off would would have bought the game. Again there's no way to really know which way it works best; I'm expressing more surprise about this route after all the complaining we've heard about trying to keep the game with the gamer. Then you have nutjobs like me who feel compelled to buy it used now because I just want the same experience as everyone else who is a fan of the game. Hell, I tried to buy a 360 JUST for DR1.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
To the people playing straw man, looking past everything I wrote and looking at the word "actual" in front of fans - fine then, I'll take that out, since I meant people that played the game instead of gaining interest in the game from word of mouth or other means. I hope that it gets rid of the unnecessary attention, jeez.

Secondly, people talking about other sequels without the prior games - first of all, the whole point of my discussion is the Case: Frank DLC here which links back to the first game with the first protagonist that hasn't been shown to even be in the second game.

This is NOT the point I'm making with every other example you people are throwing in with sequels - of course they are made to stand on their own, every game has its own beginning and end. I used one part of my discussion to talk about how I personally wouldn't release a sequel to another console if the originals couldn't be experienced as well. Don't go and flip it to say that I said that sequels should never come out another console and that people would never enjoy it.

Zenith said:
"Actual fans"? Fuck you, xbot troll.

Great response, you air-head.

It was great having an actual civil discussion till you came in dragging your knuckles.

If you're not going to discuss, and base things on a tag, stay out please.

Xater said:
Skilotonn is really living up to hsi tag, I see...

Another one dropping in a one-liner that has nothing to do with the topic and leaving.

Considering all I ever see you do is go into XBLA threads to make one post complaining about it being exclusive, I guess it's par for the course - I'm trying to discussing things here.

Shurs said:
It takes place in the MGS "universe" and stars a protagonist from MGS 2. How could it not have anything to do, story-wise, with the previous Metal Gears?

You say this like there can't be a stand-alone game with an established character that can have nothing to do with the main storyline, and unless there have been more info than what they've shown with that trailer, it looks to be just that.

If you have more info than me, please feel free to post it and I'll see that I was wrong.

stupei

BobTheFork said:
Well I don't think we have any information about players keeping games to say that. I kept Borderlands around for DLC, but that's not always the case. I'm not sure if it works but you would think thats what they would want to try to do. I understand that since you can't guarantee players keep it you are taking a crap shoot. True, but there's the flip side of that kind of extended experience (especially before the game comes out) turning some people off would would have bought the game. Again there's no way to really know which way it works best; I'm expressing more surprise about this route after all the complaining we've heard about trying to keep the game with the gamer. Then you have nutjobs like me who feel compelled to buy it used now because I just want the same experience as everyone else who is a fan of the game. Hell, I tried to buy a 360 JUST for DR1.

Oh yeah, there's no way to know for sure, I just think it's interesting that Capcom is attempting something so new. It seems both really aggressive and slightly progressive. But who knows if it will actually work.

I can't help but wonder if the timing is also placed to try to draw some fraction of attention away from Halo: Reach. (Know what would do a better job of that, Capcom? Not releasing the game a few weeks after Halo: Reach.)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tomasooie said:
How can anyone else even be an actual fan? They haven't even played anything yet! Dead Rising games are only on 360 right now.
So dumb!
Not to mention forgetting the Wii version.

Skilotonn said:
You say this like there can't be a stand-alone game with an established character that can have nothing to do with the main storyline, and unless there have been more info than what they've shown with that trailer, it looks to be just that.

If you have more info than me, please feel free to post it and I'll see that I was wrong.
It does have to do with the main story. It was already referenced and partly extended upon in MGS4. It's a missing part of the story we've been waiting for.
IT's a perfect example of the same thing; saying 'non-fans won't get it' is a really bad argument in both cases. But then again, 'I'm right you're wrong' is a pretty compelling argument too.

FrankT

BobTheFork said:
Hell, I tried to buy a 360 JUST for DR1.

Hmm, guess that explains Dead Rising as the number one downloadable title for Games on Demand this week then. It is superb game and all should play it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I played the first DR when it came out. Loved it. Easily in the top three best next-gen games of all time.

Stuff has happened since then. Now I own a PS3, my 360 is being loaned to a friend and I'd much rather play this DLC on my PS3 since I have some spare cash in my PSN wallet.

It's been so long since the first game that I'm just kinda indifferent to DR2 altogether...I'll probably pick it up sometime next year at a low price. A $5 teaser sounds right up my alley, but ah well.

Mar

I... Don't know what to think of this. I likes me some Frank, much more than Chuck, but as a separate game DLC?

Who am I kidding. I'm all over this regardless.

snap0212

plagiarize said:
prove it was already on the disc (just how many kbs do you think the code for such a mode would be given that netcode and all of the levels and characters and assets already existed).
More than 1.8MB, I think. Please don't quote the Capcom representative who said it wasn't already on the disk. I know what he said and I still do not belive it. If I'm wrong, fine. Prove me wrong and I'll never mention it ever again.

plagiarize said:
then tell me why the fuck it matters even if it was.
No, I won't. Not again.

plagiarize said:
was it promised as part of RE5? did you think RE5 didn't contain enough content out of the box for what you paid for it? if you did, why did you pay to get more content?
That's not the point and whenever we had the discussion about unlock codes no one ever mentioned anything about how they feel cheated, because they did not get enough content.

plagiarize said:
did you know that when you buy Windows 7 Home it has Ultimate ON THE DISC AND THEY MAKE YOU PAY MORE TO UPGRADE TO IT EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T COST THEM ANYTHING MORE TO SUPPORT IT? ZOMG.
We also had this in every thread about DLC Keys.

Let's just not talk about it again. We've had at least five threads about this and the past 12 months. :)

OneEightZero said:
Is it sad that Case Zero, and now this game, will be enough to sate my Dead Rising experience? I love the demo(s), and they have just enough zombie death to not warrant my purchasing the actual game.

Glad they announced another demo. Can't wait. ^_^
I feel similarly. I've spent over three hours on Case Zero so far and I haven't even started the actual story yet. I think this segment alone might be enough.

I like this idea of smaller standalone experiences for a smaller price. Fits my MO of finishing only about half the games I buy.

Mar said:
I... Don't know what to think of this. I likes me some Frank, much more than Chuck, but as a separate game DLC?

Who am I kidding. I'm all over this regardless.

Chuck is pretty likable in Case Zero.

Wonder if Co-op will have a mode where Chuck kills zombies with duct tape killing machines, while whoever plays Frank will take pictures to get PP.

MrPliskin

Banned
Eh. Never found the first special, Case Zero was the same, and I really doubt any other quick cash ins on this franchise will change my mind. Pass again.

Still sore that I bought the first.

Trailer actually looked interesting. If it's 400 points like Case Zero I'd definitely be all over it. More than that and I'll have to see how I feel after Dead Rising 2.

snap0212 said:
More than 1.8MB, I think. Please don't quote the Capcom representative who said it wasn't already on the disk. I know what he said and I still do not belive it. If I'm wrong, fine. Prove me wrong and I'll never mention it ever again.
Quake 3 Arena is less than a megabyte of code and that's the code for the entire game. It features numerous multiplayer game types, code for the AI bots, on top of a full game engine.

If you can explain to me why a game that already has netcode needs 1.8MB to add a new gametype where you can shoot other players and it counts how often that happens...

the argument you COULD make would be 'if it is so easy to code, why wasn't it free'? that'd be a perfectly valid argument to make. as would '$5 for a simple twist on an existing game type with no new maps? pah.'

i never bought the VS cause it seemed over priced *to me*. but Lost in Shadows certainly wasn't.

Xater

Skilotonn said:
Another one dropping in a one-liner that has nothing to do with the topic and leaving.

Considering all I ever see you do is go into XBLA threads to make one post complaining about it being exclusive, I guess it's par for the course - I'm trying to discussing things here.

No what you are doing is having one of the most bullshit arguments ever. This is part of the Dead Rising 2 story, so of course people care about. It doesn't matter that Frank is in it or not. Personally I already know Frank that why I would like to play it even more (Yes I did play through Dead Rising! OMG!) And this thread already had alot of examples games that continued stuff on other consoles. You just make yourself look like a fool.

I also already expressed my feelings towards this. Even if it was released on every other platform this leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If I really want to see how shit ends I have to pay up even more? Fuck that!

Xater said:
No what you are doing is having one of the most bullshit arguments ever. This is part of the Dead Rising 2 story, so of course people care about. It doesn't matter that Frank is in it or not. Personally I already know Frank that why I would like to play it even more (Yes I did play through Dead Rising! OMG!) And this thread already had alot of examples games that continued stuff on other consoles. You just make yourself look like a fool.

I also already expressed my feelings towards this. Even if it was released on every other platform this leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If I really want to see how shit ends I have to pay up even more? Fuck that!
we don't know that yet. I think it's fair to say that we have to wait and see how satisfying the ending is before decrying this as 'pay extra for the ending'.

reviews of DR2 will touch on this, so you should be able to make your mind up without having to play it yourself.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Skilotonn said:
But business-wise and for the reasons I posted above, why port something that most wouldn't get the point of? You can't just assume everyone is in the same situation that you're in.
You are being deliberately obtuse if you think that the business decision being made here involves anything more than moneyhats. If Case West was the only episode that was platform exclusive you may be able to make some semblance of an argument. They have already ported the engine, assets and everything else for the main game to the PS3 and PC, the episodes would not be a big deal. The only other reason for exclusivity would be if the other versions are terrible and they don't want to miss out on the first day, limited review sales.

ezekial45 said:
Very cool. It's disappointing that the PS3 version is getting left out, again.

360 gets left out of Medal of Honor Frontline HD, Dead Space Extraction.

Like I said, you want to play all the games, you have to own all the systems.

Top Bottom