• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles 2X |OT| Christmas in May

epmode

Chiaroscuro said:
A little bit too stepy for a digital only release.
I'm having a hard time understanding why you feel that a digital release should be cheaper on principle, mostly because it doesn't make sense. The content is what matters.

PC gaming has effectively been digital-only for the last six years and I've never felt ripped off by paying retail prices.

Stay free Aksys.

arcana-heart-3-20110211030439556-000.jpg

OMG Aero

epmode said:
I'm having a hard time understanding why you feel that a digital release should be cheaper on principle, mostly because it doesn't make sense. The content is what matters.

PC gaming has effectively been digital-only for the last six years and I've never felt ripped off by paying retail prices.
I think it's reasonable to expect digital releases to be cheaper than retail ones since the publisher doesn't have to pay for discs, boxes and distribution.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
OMG Aero said:
I think it's reasonable to expect digital releases to be cheaper than retail ones since the publisher doesn't have to pay for discs, boxes and distribution.
$30 is cheaper than the $40 - $60 a retail release would have been.
I think most here are satisfied by that minus that guy.

OMG Aero said:

this.

And if Cave is experimenting with the format, they should have added an extra incentive (low price) to customers.

Kind like the original Deathsmiles was only GBP 20 in UK.

In my personal taste Deathsmiles >> Deathsmiles 2X, so onçy 10 bucks less with a digital release (no disc, no soundtrack, nothing) seems a little bit to much.

But I will double dip anyway.

Aigis said:
http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/05/post-2950.html

$29.99p
Human that doesn't know english grammar very well translation:

Death Smiles 2, just like it is, will be released on games on demand in North America.

The Microsoft rep told me this is a first step in experiment with this kind of release. They went through all the trouble of choosing us, so let's do it!

If things go well, this will tie in to many more titles that were only released in Japan being distributed online
Oh goodness, IdolM@aster next please.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prefer a disk release for my console games, but I'm not gonna complain. I'll buy it.

Hopefully this is a success for them. Ketsui next plz.

Risette

A Good Citizen
GuiltybyAssociation said:
Prefer a disk release for my console games, but I'm not gonna complain. I'll buy it.

Hopefully this is a success for them. Ketsui next plz.
Ketsui was ported and published by 5pb and they don't seem as uhh... progressive as Cave is. Wouldn't count on it.

It's on MAME and works great anyways.

fudgey_lumpkins said:
Oh goodness, IdolM@aster next please.

I'm pretty sure he was only talking about Cave's games (ie. Daifukkatsu, Akai Katana), or games that don't have much of a language barrier. It doesn't look like DS2 is being translated, so games like Idolmaster or visual novels probably aren't going to happen.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lambtron said:
OMG May 17th? Squeeeeeeeeeeee!

I wish this was physical, but I want more. Please promptly give us the rest of the shooters On Demand, Cave. :)

I would do anything for an ESP Ra.De. 360 port... surprised that or Dangun Feveron (best STG soundtrack EVER) haven't turned up, what with us getting Guwange and all.

Gaspode_T

If anything realize that buying this is one of the best ways you could possibly support Cave! There is a lot more risk of retail release and also more overhead/cost involved to Cave/publishers.

I am totally floored that this is happening, hope it sells well and sets a precedent

Tain

Chiaroscuro said:
And if Cave is experimenting with the format, they should have added an extra incentive (low price) to customers.

$30 isn't a low price?

How this is not worth $30 is beyond me. This game is awesome, new, and better than the original.

And this is a great setup for Cave. I'm not double-dipping, but good for those that want to play this that haven't been able to get a J360. I'd much rather have the import version digitally than a localized version with, sayyyyy, ganked around slowdown.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hey.

HEY.

Any news of a European release? Or can EU folks use the US GoD store? I doubt it since the games are still region coded, aren't they?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Welp. This is cool. I guess.

But seriously, if they're putting it up there, would it really have been that much effort to localize it? I mean, it's a few menus and some nonsense text in between stages. Other than any coding blues involved, that's a few minutes of translation effort? I just think that it's sort of a misfire, to be honest.

I love the idea of putting niche stuff up on Games on Demand, but leaving them unlocalized just seem like it would prohibit the concept from going too far.

Galdelico

I really wonder why they don't do the same thing - on large scale - for Europe too.

I reckon XBLA option can't be even considered, but Games on Demand are actually regional, right? I mean, if I remember correctly, Europe has its own gamelist, as well as US and Japan...

Here in EU, we see so many announcements that regularly die into nothingness after a few months... Raiden Fighters and Otomedius are the first ones that come to my mind.
First the reveal that seems aimed to hardcore fans ('woooo, THIS is finally coming to Europe! Rejoice! Get ready!') > silence > silence > delay > silence > the publisher usually closes down/disappears/sinks, with my massive disappointment.

Seems too much to ask that these games may be all happily region free (and I buy them when it happens they are), but they must know there is a large fanbase that would gladly support these games coming regularly on Games on Demand.
No hassles with manuals, boxes, moronic late-as-hell/deluxe/limited editions... Just the game, region un-locked and slapped on Marketplace at a fair price.
Man, I'd get them all...

$30 is a good price and a damn sight lower then buying in japan or importing (i just spent about $130 on region free shmups last time i was over there)

mollipen

rainking187 said:
Siliconera says it can't be bought using MS points.

Isn't this how all of the Games on Demand are? I've never purchased one myself, but I believe they're all listed as real money and have to be bought that way.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
shidoshi said:
Isn't this how all of the Games on Demand are? I've never purchased one myself, but I believe they're all listed as real money and have to be bought that way.
Nope. All Games on Demand (at least to this point) can be bought with regular money or space bucks.

robot

Princess Skittles said:
Nope. All Games on Demand (at least to this point) can be bought with regular money or space bucks.

Probably why they are listed on the marketplace in normal currency versus MS points?

If this means it's cheaper for a developer to publish a game oversea then retail I am all for it, there's a few games which have not come to the UK I would buy, and no they are not all those anime ones :p

MjFrancis

Yeah, if this leads to the entire Japan-locked vault of Cave games swimming over the pond to the United States, I am all fucking for this. Ketsui? Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou? Akai Katana? But next week already? I've already spent my video game funds for the month, and now I'll have to break my self-imposed limit yet again.

I know Games on Demand lists their games in real money, but I've seen the option to use Microsoft's monopoly money on any of their GoD titles. It just takes a few button presses - what does the article say about this game? Is MS changing it for exclusives like this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Pretty weird that they'll just turn off the points option for this game only. Do they earn more money by being paid directly from credit card or something?

Kafel

Banned
shintoki said:
Yes, I really want to put my credit card into MS' system. >_>

Went from a day 1 to day never unless I'm really feeling up to it.

On the 19th, Paypal will be included in the payment options anyway but it's strange this game would be the ONLY ONE on the whole marketplace that can't be bought with points.

I call bs.

Wario64 said:
Pretty weird that they'll just turn off the points option for this game only. Do they earn more money by being paid directly from credit card or something?
Well, they'll get more from people who take advantage of free MS point promotions.

MjFrancis

If there's a Paypal option, I might go that route, but I wouldn't bank on it (and MS shouldn't, either). I'm hesitant about trusting many sources with my credit card number, and I've purposefully avoided providing mine to MS.

Top Bottom