• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles 2X |OT| Christmas in May

danmaku

Glad to see this game released in the US. Imho it wasn't worth the 100+ € I paid for the LE, but at 30$ is a steal. Much more fun to play for score than the first DS.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This REALLY eases my anxiety about future Cave games coming to the US. :)

Let me guess, since it's being released via Games on Demand there is no way I can buy this from the UK even with a US account and points?

Hopefully the lack of an EU release means that Rising Star intend to pick it up for retail later this year, rather than a complete EU snub.

Yes Boss!

Daigoro said:
oh this turned into the OT. hah.

yeah graphics are different... with the 3D and all.

anyone know if the music as good as the first one?

this isnt an XBLA release is it? wouldnt it fall under GOD?

anyhoo this one is supposed to come out today according to the dates given.
Ah, gotcha,

Falls under Tuesdays with normal releases.

Will buy once I move back to the United States in a few years :-(

For the double-dippers: do achievements stack?

Rank 1 is hilariously easy.
Like...even easier than Deathsmiles 1.

I have no idea what the heck I'm doing really. I just fly around, dodge bullets, sometimes I cancel them, sometimes those weird homing bullets show up, and then I won.

The story is..well..a story. Apparently the dude who takes care of these girls is sick or dying or old and only Satan Claws and a weird naked chick who is summoned by musical notes can save him.

I also played this mode where I rolled some familiar around to reach the exit. I...really have no idea why this is in the game. It's so pointless.

Yes Boss! said:
For the double-dippers: do achievements stack?

I'd be surprised if they did. Seems like all Cave/MS did was flick the switch that lets us buy this game.

One life cleared the game on all level 1's in 360 mode on my first go around, lol.

Is this like Deathsmiles 1 where only the arcade mode follows the rank rules?

Edit: Crisis averted, arcade mode is much harder.

Arcade mode is a lot different from the 360 mode actually. You can't choose stage rank, there aren't as many stages, there aren't as many characters, and it has an entirely different scoring system. And it runs in SD.

I still prefer Arcade mode though, since the scoring system is a lot better.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I also played this mode where I rolled some familiar around to reach the exit. I...really have no idea why this is in the game. It's so pointless.

Yeah, that's Tsukaima race or whatever it's called. It's awful.

Sad_Panda

Sorry if it's already been covered, but will I be able to play it if I buy it on my US 360 with my US account, even if I'm not living in the US ?

Tain

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Rank 1 is hilariously easy.
Like...even easier than Deathsmiles 1.

Yeah, IIX mode is way too easy for survival.

Arcade mode is the best. This game is much more fun for survival than the first was. I've had the disc version for a while and haven't put much time into IIX mode, but what I played was ridiculously easy.

Yes Boss!

Sad_Panda said:
Sorry if it's already been covered, but will I be able to play it if I buy it on my US 360 with my US account, even if I'm not living in the US ?
Nope. It is IP blocked like the PSN/XBOX Video Store/Netflix, etc. I'm in the same predicament. You can do it but you have to use some type of proxy via a computer to fake out the IP...well beyond my computer skills but might be easy for you.

Nope, not even close. It's just like any other level, but the boss at the end (the two teddy bears) is probably the hardest in the game, aside from Satan Claws. It's a good stage.

Tain

I remember playing that stage in my initial IIX playthrough, now that I think about it.

This thread is totally making me want to not be at work.

MjFrancis

I'm buying a 1600 point card on my way home from work. I have enough left on my account that this should let me purchase Deathsmiles 2X.

To veteran players - is this game really one of the easier CAVE titles out there? I've heard that's it's not very hard to beat, relatively speaking. I have a backlog of shoot 'em ups, but I'll jump straight into this if it can serve as a decent stepping stone towards the other games.

Tain

Have you played the original Deathsmiles arcade mode?

I'd say the core arcade mode of this game is clearly rougher than a non-EX playthrough of the original Deathsmiles core arcade mode, but it's easier than Mushi Futari 1.5 Original and Espgaluda.

The IIX arrange mode in this game, when played on easy rank, is very, very easy. To the point where I'd say that it wouldn't serve as a decent stepping stone, but then you have ranks 2 and 3.

Depends on what modes you want to play, I guess! I'm not big on the extra arrange modes in Cave's console ports in general, so when comparing straight-up arcade modes, this is one of Cave's easier games. Not the easiest, but, like, in the easiest third?

I'd say to clear the original Deathsmiles arcade mode before working on this, but like anything, this game should be fine if you put time into it.

Chocoboko

Downloaded and playing now. So far I am loving it. If Cave is losing money on translating these games then I hope this becomes an option for them. $30 is a steal. I really wish at least the story bits were translated so I knew what was going on, but I can kind of piece it all together.

Edit: The music is pretty freaking great also. As good as the first one if not better.

Dang, I didn't realize that this was releasing today. I thought it'd be available tomorrow. I'm waiting on a 4000 point card to arrive from Amazon and that probably won't be until tomorrow anyway.

conman

So I already knew this game was known for being ugly, but, gah!, those 3D enemy models and "cinematic" sequences are grotesque. Strange, since the backgrounds look so nice.

conman said:
So I already knew this game was known for being ugly, but, gah!, those 3D enemy models and "cinematic" sequences are grotesque. Strange, since the backgrounds look so nice.
you should have seen the first one

BocoDragon said:
Not up in the Canadian store yet?? Not seeing it anywhere.
Bought a 2800 point card today, came home, found this. Got very >=(

If we don't get it, I'm going to be livid.

Does our GoD store update at a different time? I hope so.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Canadian rage building... :mad:

All the announcements mentioned "North America", so where is it??

Kusagari

Arghhh Xbox Live isn't letting me redeem the points card I just got off Amazon. The sites giving me an error and when I put it in on the console it shows the 4000 points and then when I click redeem gives me an error and says it can't do this at this time.

Kusagari said:
Arghhh Xbox Live isn't letting me redeem the points card I just got off Amazon. The sites giving me an error and when I put it in on the console it shows the 4000 points and then when I click redeem gives me an error and says it can't do this at this time.
Are you in the same region marketplace that your points card is coming from?

robot

MjFrancis said:
I'm buying a 1600 point card on my way home from work. I have enough left on my account that this should let me purchase Deathsmiles 2X.

To veteran players - is this game really one of the easier CAVE titles out there? I've heard that's it's not very hard to beat, relatively speaking. I have a backlog of shoot 'em ups, but I'll jump straight into this if it can serve as a decent stepping stone towards the other games.

EDIT: ah nevermind, I just checked and you can use a points card. is this new for retail games?

robot said:
Pretty sure you cant use points to buy this.
I could have sworn when I was in the purchase screen on my 360 that I could press X to buy the game with MS points (didn't have the points for it though).

Kusagari

_dementia said:
Are you in the same region marketplace that your points card is coming from?

I don't know. I got the points card from Amazon and I live in the U.S. so I would assume Amazon is giving U.S. points cards. The error code is 80169D94 if it matters :/.

Have to grab this when I get home. A lot of my friends who enjoyed the first didn't seem to like 2 when they played it. I didn't really press them as to why though. I'll support this release regardless.

Top Bottom