• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles 2X |OT| Christmas in May

Yuripaw

Banned
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm being perfectly honest, but what makes a game like this worth $30, yet you can find a game like Trouble Witches Neo for $10? I don't really play many of these games, and from what I've seen of both of them, they're very similar in terms of presentation and gameplay. I don't know if it comes down to number of levels, but I heard the first deathsmiles was fairly short.

What makes a release like this worth pricing at $30, and yet you can find other games in the same genre release at $10?

Yes Boss!

Pedigree, of course.

It is also a shit-hot sequel a very well-loved original game.

It has a port of the arcade original.

It is also Cave's first 3D shooter title. A plus!

Beautiful 16:9 presentation, a first for a Cave game.

Amazing music.

Deeper scoring system.

Trouble Witches is fantastic but not in the same league. That said, the constant refrain for TW from most folks was that it was a bargain and many would have paid more for it, and even would have preferred a retail release.

And, shortness is not an issue...it is a shooter. $30 is quite a nice price.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yuripaw said:
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm being perfectly honest, but what makes a game like this worth $30, yet you can find a game like Trouble Witches Neo for $10? I don't really play many of these games, and from what I've seen of both of them, they're very similar in terms of presentation and gameplay. I don't know if it comes down to number of levels, but I heard the first deathsmiles was fairly short.

What makes a release like this worth pricing at $30, and yet you can find other games in the same genre release at $10?
You get what you pay for. Trouble Witches Neo is a fun little game, especially for $10, but it's simply not as good as a Cave game.

tiff

Banned
Maybe you should buy Trouble Witches, and if you like it and want more, cough up the $30 for a Cave game? There are bargain-priced games in every genre. Don't see what your point is.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yuripaw said:

Why would you pay $50 for New Super Mario Bros when Super Meat Boy is $15?

danmaku

tiff said:
Maybe you should buy Trouble Witches, and if you like it and want more, cough up the $30 for a Cave game? There are bargain-priced games in every genre. Don't see what your point is.

It's a fair question. Both games are shmups and have a similar theme. If you haven't played them, all you can see is that Trouble Witches is cheaper and looks much better than DS2!

But if you actually play them, you'll see the difference.

BocoDragon

Dai101 said:
I think when they said North America they mean USA ONLY. I say that because, as usual, here in MX we are fucked
I see how you'd be used to "North America" excluding you... but USA releases usually = Canada releases.. Unless something goes wrong (French packaging issues, etc).

Actually, you can blame the fact that Canada is usually automatically included for why they erroneously say N. America and not just USA.

Tain

Yuripaw said:

Straight-up quality. Cave refines the hell out of everything, and this has perfectly paced stages with a ton of variety and smart risk-reward situations as a result. I paid 80 for one mode on this disc and have no plans to give Trouble Witches a chance.

I'll pay almost whatever for a game that I want to play, though. Along the same lines, I wouldn't play a lot of shooters for free, TW included.

BocoDragon

Tain said:
Straight-up quality. Cave refines the hell out of everything. I paid 80 for one mode on this disc and have no plans to give Trouble Witches a chance.

I'll pay almost whatever for a game that I want to play, though. Along the same lines, I wouldn't play a lot of shooters for free, TW included.
I have heard TW is very good, though.

It's just that it's priced as a cheap downloadable game, and we shouldn't expect the whole pricing of the SHMUP genre to come down just because they released one budget entry in the genre.

$30 is actually a steal for what is a full-priced Japanese title.

Trouble Witches is solid stuff, definitely better than Gundeadiglenenaine or whatever the heck it's called but I've yet to play a doujin that's close to the average Cave title. Then again I'll go ahead and say I can't think of any doujin shooters that are as good as the average arcade shooter(unless it's a Psikyo game, Psikyo is terrible).

But eh the 2D shooter genre is the kind where you get out of it what you put into it. If the first thought that crosses your mind is "why would anyone pay so much for such a short game?" then don't even bother.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I thought Crimzon Clover was really good, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's arcade quality. It's probably the best doujin shooter though. Check it out if you haven't.

And hey, Dragon Blaze is cool. Can't say I like any other Psikyo games though!

BocoDragon

C-Jo said:
This Canadian store bullshit is ridiculous. I hope it gets sorted out soon.
Are we supposed to just sit here until we realize it's not coming? Who can we contact?

Aigis said:
I thought Crimzon Clover was really good, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's arcade quality. It's probably the best doujin shooter though. Check it out if you haven't.
I dunno about Crimzon Clover.
I've heard good things but that art-style...it's just ghastly. Then again I did just buy Deathsmiles 2X so I probably shouldn't comment.

tearsofash

I got both TW and DS2X. Both are fun, and both are reasonably priced.

BTW, is it just me or does it seem like level 1 is far more easier than level 1 difficulty in the previous game?

I've been looking for my copy of the first game; it's been lost ever since I moved, and I was thinking about just buying another copy. For those who've played it, how does this compare? Worth buying both, or one over the other?

BocoDragon

^ But I don't expect Cave, a nichey Japanese company, to know that Canada basically IS the USA region 99% of the time.

This really is a question for Microsoft IMO.

Sucks for Europe.. But they knew not to expect this just yet. When we see stories that North America is getting DeathSmiles 2, us Canadians are rightly confused when it doesn't show.

Tain

tearsofash said:
I got both TW and DS2X. Both are fun, and both are reasonably priced.

BTW, is it just me or does it seem like level 1 is far more easier than level 1 difficulty in the previous game?

It definitely is. Try out arcade mode! Difficulty will be a good step up.

BocoDragon

This ain't coming to Canada right now.. looking pretty clear.

The recent games were updated here... Fable III, WWE Legends, 50 Cent Blood on the Sand....

Actually pissed here. Not joking.

I mad.

Yuripaw said:

Trouble Witches is a steal for $10, I think the original PC version cost a bit more, and the XBLA is vastly improved beyond that. Trouble Witches is a fun game and I would recommend it to fans of the genre.

I've only scratched the surface with Deathsmiles 2, but Deathsmiles 1 was definitely worth the $40 or $50 I paid for it. I'd go as far as saying that Deathsmiles 1 is easily among my top 10 favorite shmups, and it even converted one of my non shmup playing friends into a cave fan.

branny

Yuripaw said:
I don't really play many of these games, and from what I've seen of both of them, they're very similar in terms of presentation and gameplay. I don't know if it comes down to number of levels, but I heard the first deathsmiles was fairly short.

Like what other people have said, it's about quality. It's not the amount of levels at all. If anything, having too many can be considered a drawback for some games in this genre--it's just about quality. For people used to spending a whole lot more to import these kinds of games, $30 dollars is as much a bargain as $10 is, too.

These games, like fighting games and other arcade-style games, are meant to be played many, many times over. They slowly evolve as people get better and learn more and more. Because of this, some eventually hit a wall, fizzle out, and die, while others continue to blossom, opening up in the hands of skilled players and remain entertaining. I'm not comparing DSIIX and TWN! specifically, but this is the easiest way to describe variances in quality without going into details about other factors such as gameplay mechanics, scoring systems, level and enemy design, bullet patterns, audiovisual presentation, additional modes and features, port accuracy, accessibility, etc.

Considering this genre's roots, it's important to think of quality a little differently. In an actual arcade, you have to carefully design your game. It has to be alluring, immediate, challenging but fair, satisfying, and deep enough to keep players coming back for more. Basically, it must good enough to keep players off other machines forever. It isn't like how many modern console-style games are meant to be consumed one after the other, priming you for the biggest and baddest sequels yet.

tearsofash

ShinUltramanJ said:
Will somebody please tell me that DoDonPachi will finally see a US release if this does well?

Pretty please?

It has a US release. I was playing it on my iPad just the other day.

Izayoi

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Not in Canada.

*flips table.

FUCK THIS SHIT. I'm willing to bet it's the god damn language police too.
Xbox Live needs a way to gift games, like Steam.

I feel for you guys. ;_;

BocoDragon said:
This ain't coming to Canada right now.. looking pretty clear.

The recent games were updated here... Fable III, WWE Legends, 50 Cent Blood on the Sand....

Actually pissed here. Not joking.

I mad.

Yeah. Normally I'm not really that angry about this sort of shit, but I'm actually mad about this one. A large part of that is I went an hour out of my way today to grab a points card, though. That and there's fuck all on the marketplace I want that's NOT this.

Luckily I haven't opened my 2800 point card blister pack, going to try to return it come tomorrow.

I'm willing to bet it's the god damn language police too.

Eh', not necessarily. I think the person who should be blamed should be the one who's drafting up the release announcement and their inability to discern "USA" from "North America". Even as an innocent error it's kinda bunk. :(

ColonelSkills said:
Eh', not necessarily. I think the person who should be blamed should be the one who's drafting up the release announcement and their inability to discern "USA" from "North America". Even as an innocent error it's kinda bunk. :(
While that may be true, what would the reason be? I can think of two reasons:

a) Language. There's quite a few games on GoD that have both French and English version.
b) MS actually charges a separate fee between US and Canada, so they figured it's not worth it to bring the game up here.

AlphaTwo00 said:
While that may be true, what would the reason be? I can think of two reasons:

a) Language. There's quite a few games on GoD that have both French and English version.
b) MS actually charges a separate fee between US and Canada, so they figured it's not worth it to bring the game up here.

I am not sure of the exact fee structure or process, but we do have different Xbox Marketplaces. There is the very occasional item that has not shown up for us that I've seen on the American one, although it's usually incredibly minor stuff like gamerpics. Between that and the fact that we simply can not use Yankeedoodle Spacebucks and have to buy special Canuckar Spacebucks pretty much solidifies that.

Whatever extra steps needed to be done, language, licensing or whatever, was (as it's becoming increasingly clear) never in the works and whoever wrote "North America" on the original Facebook announcement just messed up pretty fierce. As opposed to "there was a plan to do so but it was blocked because of some law or deemed unnecessarily costly for whatever reason"

Really, really shitty. But I'm not blaming anyone in particular yet. And for all I know I could be completely wrong, but that's my take.

Daigoro

can you not buy this with points via the marketplace website? is it from the dashboard only? im only seeing the option to pay in $.

anyone remember how many points this costs?

Dai101

Banned
Daigoro said:
can you not buy this with points via the marketplace website? is it from the dashboard only? im only seeing the option to pay in $.

anyone remember how many points this costs?

If you're in the dashboard press "X" to change to space bucks, in the website after you choose "Download to Xbox 360" it will give you 3 options of payment (CC, MS Points or Redeem Code) Oh, and costs 2400

Top Bottom