• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debbie Reynolds Dead at 84

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri

I actually feel like this is a nice ending for Debbie Reynolds. I think, if I were in her position, at her age, I'd want to follow my child too and I'd be glad I'd only lived a single day without them. I feel terribly for Todd Fisher and Billie Lourd though. I hope they can find comfort in the fact Debbie Reynolds was spared from really coping with the loss of Carrie, although it must be all the harder for them, to cope with the loss of both.

walei

This is so sad :( I have always looked up to Carrie Fisher and appreciated her loving relationship with Debbie Reynolds...

I will never roll my eyes from now on when watching Padme dies from a broken heart...

This is so sad :( I have always looked up to Carrie Fisher and appreciated her loving relationship with Debbie Reynolds...

I will never roll my eyes from now on when watching Padme dies from a broken heart...

Not sure if this happened to Debbie but there is such a thing.

Takatsubo Cardiomyopathy.

It's a real thing. I work as a Cardiac Cath Lab Technologist and I see it once in a while.

Had one on Christmas Eve this year. Presented as a classic heart attack but all the coronary arteries were pristine and wide open.

Most commonly occurs in women over 40. A high stress/depression event literally stuns the heart muscle. In most cases the heart recovers on its own or with medication.

In extreme cases blood clots can develop in the Left Ventricle since there's so little motion in the heart.

Or in other extreme cases, the heart gets so stunned that it gets thrown into a deadly rhythm which doesn't pump any blood out to the body.

What in the fuck
I just heard the news. When they started talking I assumed they were still talking about Carrie. I could hardly believe it when I started to understand.
Jesus

I actually feel like this is a nice ending for Debbie Reynolds. I think, if I were in her position, at her age, I'd want to follow my child too and I'd be glad I'd only lived a single day without them. I feel terribly for Todd Fisher and Billie Lourd though. I hope they can find comfort in the fact Debbie Reynolds was spared from really coping with the loss of Carrie, although it must be all the harder for them, to cope with the loss of both.

I was thinking the same thing too. My grandmother drastically outlived my grandfather, for instance (I know it's not the same thing, but there are parallels), and she was a mess after he left. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, but I know that it's something no parent wants to grasp with.

I don't know what belief system the family has, but they might take some small solace in the fact that Debbie got her hauntingly beautiful last wish and that -- depending on their worldview -- both Carrie and Debbie are "in the same place."

At least, I hope there's something, even if it's just the absolutely logical "I'm glad she doesn't have to cope with the loss of her child" sentiment that helps the family move forward.

My heart is absolutely breaking for this family. What a horrific turn of events. I hope both mother and daughter are able to rest in peace.

Sesha

RIP

The melodrama of Episode III made it seem laughable, which it was, but like ALaz502 says, death from a broken heart is definitely a real thing that happens all the time.

RIP

The melodrama of Episode III made it seem laughable, which it was, but like ALaz502 says, death from a broken heart is definitely a real thing that happens all the time.

I really hope that none of the people at Lucasfilm takes this real life tragedy to heart and assume that it will translate to any future screenplay going forward.

walei

RIP

I have heard of the syndrome but as you said the melodrama made it cringeworthy...

But now that scene will forever remind me that Princess Leia and Carrie Fisher's mom died (possibly in Debbie Reynold's case) of broken heart... The life imitating art aspect is just too sad.

So sorry for their loss especially Billie Lourd,

JDHarbs

Thanks to some recent posts, my brain has just made the connection that Carrie Fisher's real life and fictional mothers both essentially died of broken hearts.

I don't know what to make of that.

womfalcs3

Banned
Just watched an interview Debbie and Carrie did with Oprah in 2011. It appears they didn't get a single thing from Carrie's father after he died (and he left them when Carrie was very young to be with Elizabeth Taylor). Debbie's second marriage made her absolutely broke.

Does Carrie have siblings or children?

mbpm1

Just watched an interview Debbie and Carrie did with Oprah in 2011. It appears they didn't get a single thing from Carrie's father after he died (and he left them when Carrie was very young to be with Elizabeth Taylor). Debbie's second marriage made her absolutely broke.

Does Carrie have siblings or children?

Carrie's sibling, Todd who was talking to her mother about funeral arrangements.

She also has a daughter, Billie Lourd.

Mascot

Thanks to some recent posts, my brain has just made the connection that Carrie Fisher's real life and fictional mothers both essentially died of broken hearts.

I don't know what to make of that.

Was this one a broken heart though, or more likely an elderly lady having a stroke brought on by the stress of losing her only daughter? Or maybe they are the same thing?

anaron

Good fucking lord. I can't believe this. Poor Billie Lourd and Todd Fisher, my heart aches for them and everyone else that personally knew these two legendary ladies.

this whole thing is just the most upsetting thing...

Tomita

Strokes from anxiety and depression are no joke. See a doctor after a loved one passes or during high stress times. I hope the rest of the family does this, and avoids future tragedy.

Rip, my sincere condolences to the family.

How are you supposed to go about seeing a doctor about this, though? What are they supposed to do to check if you're at risk or not?

I'm glad that Billie was able to be in the new Star Wars movies with her mom, I hope that the entire crew all come together to support her during this time. She's only a few months older than me, and I know there's no way I would be able to handle this situation.

vsmt8lvkzxcevqcpqyhp.jpg

I'm glad Billie got to have this experience with her mother ): It was super adorable seeing her on screen, and I hope she has a lot of fond memories from being on set and hearing her mother (and possibly some of the older co-stars) share ridiculous stories about previous shoots.

I hope Billie, Todd, and the other family members have the support they need to recover from this. This is just too tragic right now, especially with the holiday season.

tci

Rip Debbie. Poor family. I can relate a bit with this. Lost my father and grandmother within two weeks. It is just sureal.

Hope the family stays strong.

chefbags

Singin' in the Rain is the only movie I watched from her, and the movie and Debbie Reynolds were both fantastic. RIP... :(

If you get a chance Debbie Reynolds was fantastic in the role for halloweentown which is a Disney channel movie. It might be cheesy af movies but she's so fun to watch.

I saw my grandmother grieving after my uncle (her son) died, so Debbie Reynolds suffering a stroke as a result of the stress of seeing her daughter pass away doesn't surprise me.

How are you supposed to go about seeing a doctor about this, though? What are they supposed to do to check if you're at risk or not?

Give you medication for anxiety, check and reduce your blood pressure, etc. The last one would be a bigger issue for much older people.

Feltrol

Banned

Nicely put...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom