• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Primary Debate VI: Raid Time 2/11 9PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a horrible, horrible way to go about this.

It can so easily be pushed aside by Hillary, while at the same time giving her a chance to keep him, wanting to primary Obama, as the focus.

It's pretty obvious to anyone that Hillary holds no ill will or resentment towards Obama.
And vise versa. Who did he make Secretary of State after that 08 campaign? It doesn't mean he has to like her but it shows he respects her.

Statement last night from Sanders' campaign manager Jeff Weaver: "If Secretary Clinton had her way there would be no President Barack Obama."

... is this really the angle they are taking? It just seems like a funny response to the Obama legacy discussion.

Oh jesus... Sanders campaign team is the literal worst.

I don't see how people can be following this primary and not understand Bernie's logic for having a primary opponent for Obama
As someone who voted for Obama twice and who has been pleased with the progress he's made, it doesn't make me happy to hear that. If the excuse is that he wanted Obama to be checked on his first term promises, he got plenty of that from the Republicans. A primary opponent for an encumbent president is a sign of a weak president historically. We did not need that in 2012. To me, it shows how radical Bernie can be, and in a destructive way.

In real world terms, nominate judges who will overturn citizens united. In Bernie terms, pass a constitutional amendment defining that the government has the power to regulate election spending and create a revolutionary public finance system.

You would also need a constitutional amendment against lobbyists to get his world, which is currently protected by the first.

It would be much, much, much easier to try and regulate it, instead of stopping it.

I don't see how people can be following this primary and not understand Bernie's logic for having a primary opponent for Obama

Threatening to primary a standing president is just not something you do. Threatening to primary a popular president who strongly appeals to a key demographic that you lack appeal to is basically political suicide.

phanphare

Banned
As someone who voted for Obama twice and who has been pleased with the progress he's made, it doesn't make me happy to hear that. If the excuse is that he wanted Obama to be checked on his first term promises, he got plenty of that from the Republicans. A primary opponent for an encumbent president is a sign of a weak president historically. We did not need that in 2012. To me, it shows how radical Bernie can be, and in a destructive way.

Threatening to primary a standing president is just not something you do. Threatening to primary a popular president who strongly appeals to a key demographic that you lack appeal to is basically political suicide.

I don't think having a primary challenger to move Obama to the left would have been a bad idea. I brought up this primary to prove that because look at the conversation the Democrats are having. do you think the conversation would have been the same without Bernie? sure, he might not win but he's brought some things to the table that would have never been there without him and he has also been pulling Hillary to the left and forcing her to deal with some things that her own party isn't so hot about. this is supposed to be a democracy, after all.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...hecking-martin-omalleys-claim-bernie-sanders/

Challenging Obama in a primary would have 100% secured Romeny the win.

Rather than move the country left, it would moved it right. It would have did the dead opposite of what Bernie intended.

You send weak presidents to primaries (although you shouldn't even do that). You don't send Obama to a primary to prove a point. The only point the American people get is that Obama is a weak president whose party has no faith in him. And you lose the election.

phanphare

Banned
Challenging Obama in a primary would have 100% secured Romeny the win.

Rather than move the country left, it would moved it right. It would have did the dead opposite of what Bernie intended.

You send weak presidents to primaries. You don't send Obama to a primary to prove a point. The only point the American people get is that Obama is a weak president whose party has no faith in him. And you lose the election.

agree to disagree then

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Putting Obama through a primary in 2012 is the epitome of Bernie Sanders being blind to political realities. Kinda nice in theory, utterly stupid in practice.

'sending a message' by voting to deport kids in need

This was a very valid but unarticulate point she made. There was a lot of misinformation in Central America (I'm from El Salvador) about what happened to the kids that were sent with coyotes to the US.

The 'message' she was talking about is that the trip is really unsafe, lots of kids were dying and it's not worth the risk. Sending the kids back, while heartbreaking, was meant to tell parents in CA that they should not send their kids alone with dangerous people to an uncertain fate.

CA is pretty fucked up overall and it needs a LOT of help.

Slayven

That weird segue by Bernie tying this topic with Wall street was awkward. And I cringed when he said "hanging out in the corner", specifically when talking about young black teens. Come on...

Yeah that is going to hurt him, using the same talking points as the GOP and Bill Cosby is not a good look

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This was a very valid but unarticulate point she made. There was a lot of misinformation in Central America (I'm from El Salvador) about what happened to the kids that were sent with coyotes to the US.

The 'message' she was talking about is that the trip is really unsafe, lots of kids were dying and it's not worth the risk. Sending the kids back, while heartbreaking, was meant to tell parents in CA that they should not send their kids alone with dangerous people to an uncertain fate.

CA is pretty fucked up overall and it needs a LOT of help.

Actually that's possibly the dumbest thing she said last night.

The kids would have likely died had they stayed in their towns. Also I don't think "lots" of kids were dying on the trip. I'm assuming you live in a decent ES place? From all I read these kids lived in extremely dangerous places.

agree to disagree then

No. It's historical fact that primarying a sitting president kills that presidency.

Had Sanders got his way, Obama looks weak, loses against a relatively (in comparison to the asylum that is this crop) moderate looking GOP candidate and guess what instead of looking to carry on from Obama 2016 is about trying to defeat and incumbent Romney. Primarying Obama flat out would have put the GOP on an easier path to winning this election and securing a conservative Supreme Court for the next 20 years

Putting Obama through a primary in 2012 is the epitome of Bernie Sanders being blind to political realities. Kinda nice in theory, utterly stupid in practice.

pretty much this, Jimmy Carter got screwed over by egonamiac Ted Kennedy and look what happend, the Right's messiah Ronald Reagan changed the political landscape in the US forever

thanks to Ted's small mindedness.

Hillary is smart in her praises for Obama yesterday and she will fight to help the down-ticket in many local elections.

Not sure how far Sanders is going to fight for Democrats in congressional races in the South

pigeon

Banned
Carter was challenged by Ted Kennedy and lost his reelection.
HW Bush was challenged by Pat Buchanan and lost his reelection.

Seems like a good strategy!

So, like, I would caution against equating correlation with causation. Politically weak presidents are more likely to lose reelection. Politically weak presidents are also more likely to get primaried. It doesn't necessarily follow that primarying a president makes them more likely to lose reelection.

I don't really think a primary fight in 2012 would have been a good idea -- I do think it's kind of politically ignorant to suggest it -- but I also don't think we can really say it might have cost Obama reelection.

Am I right in thinking that Carter was the last incumbent president challenged in the primary?
Yup, and thats why no one challenged a sitting president to a primary since. It fractures the party which needs to be rock solid united behind the president in order to have the incumbency argument. Obama getting primaried would have given a billion mpre talking points to Mitt Romney about how even democrats dont like Obama.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I had to google Kissinger, never heard of him lol.

After googling I found myself confused of why Hillary would take advice from that shithead.

Did you skip over the part where he helped open China to the West? He's totally a huge fucking shithead, no one will disagree, but people aren't binary. Opening China up was a very good thing.

Actually that's possibly the dumbest thing she said last night.

The kids would have likely died had they stayed in their towns. Also I don't think "lots" of kids were dying on the trip. I'm assuming you live in a decent ES place? From all I read these kids lived in extremely dangerous places.

On an individual level, yes it was a tragedy to send the kids back. I cannot emphasize enough how fucked up Central America is because of gang violence. The long term solution for these places is not to have their families send their kids alone to the US.

The US has been pretty passive in responding to what is a huge humanitarian crisis mostly caused by 90s deportations and US demand for drugs.

It's tough. I don't think you can fault either side for trying to keep the kids here or sending them back to prevent *more* kids from coming

phanphare

Banned
No. It's historical fact that primarying a sitting president kills that presidency.

Had Sanders got his way, Obama looks weak, loses against a relatively (in comparison to the asylum that is this crop) moderate lookimg GOP candidate and guess what instead of looking to carry on from Obama 2016 is about trying to defeat and incumbent Romney. Primarying Obama flat out would have put the GOP on an easier path to winning this election and securing a conservative Supreme Court for the next 20 years

like I said, agree to disagree. I think it would have only strengthened Obama going into the general especially against a candidate as bland as Romney.

rjinaz

Bernie and Someone Else are rising post New Hampshire

Hillary Clinton 46%(-4)
Bernie Sanders 39%(+2)
Someone Else 8%(+3)

I remember a few months back that one of the more popular opinions was that Bernie was going to hit a percentage plateau of 25-30% because he wasn't going to attract anybody but young white males. Once young white females started to jump on board that changed and now he's starting to make at least some ground with minorities. Good to see.

Also Obama made the decision to not have the Justice Department defend DOMA in court. This doesn't happen under Romney.

like I said, agree to disagree. I think it would have only strengthened Obama going into the general especially against a candidate as bland as Romney.

You're disagreeing with history based on nothing. And like someone already said he didn't need to be strengthed (and he wouldn't have been), he won.

It makes no sense to believe that challenging a sitting President for his job makes him look stronger. Completely illogical.

injurai

Banned
I remember a few months back that one of the more popular opinions was that Bernie was going to hit a percentage plateau of 25-30% because he wasn't going to attract anybody but young white males. Once young white females started to jump on board that changed and now he's starting to make at least some ground with minorities. Good to see.

People said it was the straight white males that jumped on first, but my female friends have been far more vocal about Bernie than the guys and for a much longer time.

phanphare

Banned
Because it went so well for Jimmy Carter.

I don't think that's an apples to apples comparison, especially comparing Reagan to fucking Mittens, but we're treading subjective waters right now which is why I agreed to disagree. look at Obama in 2008. a lot of that enthusiasm was lost during his first term and I think pulling him to the left during the primary could have sparked some of that enthusiasm back making him a stronger candidate going into the general.

Obama didn't need to be strengthened going into the general. He ultimately won the election.

I realize that, the logic is that he could have won while also moving to the left

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think that's an apples to apples comparison, especially comparing Reagan to fucking Mittens, but we're treading subjective waters right now which is why I agreed to disagree. look at Obama in 2008. a lot of that enthusiasm was lost during his first term and I think pulling him to the left during the primary could have sparked some of that enthusiasm back making him a stronger candidate going into the general.

You remember that the general wasn't even close right? He crushed Mittens. That shit wasn't even close.

EMT0

Banned
Did you skip over the part where he helped open China to the West? He's totally a huge fucking shithead, no one will disagree, but people aren't binary. Opening China up was a very good thing.

Because he should be in prison, his Nobel peace prize stripped, and disregarded by everybody for the shit he's pulled. Stalin wasn't binary either, look at what he did for Russia's industry. That was a very good thing for Russia.

dramatis

People said it was the straight white males that jumped on first, but my female friends have been far more vocal about Bernie than the guys and for a much longer time.
This argument is always funny to me. It's rather a 'female' version of "I have black friends", isn't it?

I've seen it used on gaming side by people who want to argue a female character design isn't sexualized because their female friend/SO/sister said so.

I realize that, the logic is that he could have won while also moving to the left

I don't think it's worth the risk to primary a president to slightly make them maybe possibly lean a bit more left.

Obama is already a liberal. It seems pointless and too risky to potentially move the entire country further right just for a slight chance that maybe Obama would move a little more the left. Which would have been pointless anyway, because Obama is unable to get anything passed through congress. And most people who voted for him for re-election, I think, knew that.

Too high of a risk for no practical payout.

that's the point, a more left leaning Obama could have also crushed Romney

A more far left Obama also could have lost.

Romney was done in more by fortuitous unforced errors (the 47% thing, let Detroit go bankrupt) than anything Obama did.

An Obama forced to run to his left and defend himself in a primary against his own party means mittens has less of a reason to go out on a limb making controversial statements to make his case.

Primarying a sitting president has nothing but downside.

What don't you get about the fact that a primaryed president ends up looking weak because it's basically a statement that even his own party doesn’t trust him.

He would not, would not, would not have been strengthened

phanphare

Banned
I don't think it's worth the risk to primary a president to slightly make them maybe possibly lean a bit more left.

Obama is already a liberal. It seems pointless and too risky to potentially move the entire country further right just for a slight chance that maybe Obama would move a little more the left. Which would have been pointless anyway, because Obama is unable to get anything passed through congress. And most people who voted for him for re-election, I think, knew that.

the bolded is certainly true I just think that it would have been worth it to keep the larger voting base, especially young people, enthused

rjinaz

This argument is always funny to me. It's rather a 'female' version of "I have black friends", isn't it?

I've seen it used on gaming side by people who want to argue a female character design isn't sexualized because their female friend/SO/sister said so.

I don't think this use is a fair comparison to that. Anecdotal example is all it was. Had he said, I'm not a sexist, I have female friends, then yeah.

I too have anecdotal evidence that many latino people I know are pro-bernie. I wouldn't appreciate somebody using that simple statement as if I am trying to hide racist sentiments instead of just providing an example of people I know that support Bernie that re perhaps outside of his key demographic.

I don't think making Obama run a more left leaning campaign would've translated on his second term being more left-leaning in its policies, so the point is kinda moot.

Besides, wouldn't that go against the most liked characteristic of Bernie Sanders of never compromising positions? What kind of slimy politician would Obama be if he went left to win an election?!

injurai

Banned

Hardly at all. The odd claim is that it's mostly males that followed Bernie early on. We saw instead what you would have expected based on American demographics. Young liberal voters latched onto him first in proportions that you'd expect to see reflecting the liberal youth. Minorities being a small proportion of America, they grew the slowest over time. With young white men and women growing roughly equally. Not a large enough disparity to discount early female voters.

The anecdote exist simply as a counter example to blanket claim. It is nowhere near the same as suggesting I can speak for women because I have a female friend. Kind of astounding to see that comparison drawn.

SamVimes

No it's just trying to make statistical conclusions based on a really low sample.

Which is wrong, but it's certainly not sexist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom