• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Gaaraz

Wot. I found that right away. You just pick up an item in 1-1, then talk to Thomas a bit and give it to him.
Thanks, yeah I mean... The talking to Thomas bit, how does that come around? You have to be wearing the item too right? I just feel like (and this is relevant to the poster above I guess) that you would never find without some sort of guide.

Having to use stones 3 times and then suicide to unlock different areas? Pure blade stones which without a guide probably 95%+ of players will never find, and even with a guide are incredibly elusive? Idk. I love this game still but it's far from accessible.

Gaaraz

Yayaba this is the only souls game I've played but I would recommend going further for sure. It's frustrating and honestly without the help in this thread and Google I don't think I'd ever complete it, but it's super immersive if you give it a chance - I actually started again 3 times over the past few years because I was pretty overwhelmed, but I'm glad I stuck with it

Thanks, yeah I mean... The talking to Thomas bit, how does that come around? You have to be wearing the item too right? I just feel like (and this is relevant to the poster above I guess) that you would never find without some sort of guide.

Having to use stones 3 times and then suicide to unlock different areas? Pure blade stones which without a guide probably 95%+ of players will never find, and even with a guide are incredibly elusive? Idk. I love this game still but it's far from accessible.

Otherwise "secret" is just a word.

Gaaraz

True! :)

By the way, is it just me who prefers the adjudicators shield to the dark silver? I feel like the latter is probably better for skilled players, but I take hits quite a lot so really appreciate the regen, lol

Gaaraz

Anyone in the European servers able to send across a Pure Bladestone please? :( Sorry to ask but I've been at it for hours now!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

You just need the item in your inventory, you can't "wear" it. Since you find it in 1-1, it's very likely that you'll use the "talk" option to the NPCs at some point in the Nexus, to see what they have to say, so yeah that happened naturally in my game.

Gaaraz

Finally completed it! Yay :) Doing NG+ now hoping to get platinum. Thanks so much again for all of the help and advice guys. Even though I started as a mage, by the end of the game the crescent Killij was by far my weapon of choice. Just seems more satisfying than magic somehow (even though spells like Firestorm are amazing)

I'm getting towards the end of my first play through having been a longer term Dark Souls fan.

Would really appreciate help getting a few crafting materials and also some invasions so I can get my pure white character tendency

I'm on the European servers: atomsmasher1349 ; of course would be happy to help anyone else out as well!

BizzyBum

I guess my long winded question is, if I want to casually dabble in a Souls game, is this the right one to start with? I've barely started, maybe just an hour and I already feel overwhelmed by the non-information nature of the game. It's basically the polar opposite of FF14 which is my "turn-off-my-brain" game since it's basically just pushing hotkeys and watching enemies die while I listen to nice Final Fantasy music.

DeS is a masterpiece and still holds up perfectly fine 7 years later, definitely the best way to start. You can also see how the series progresses by going in order, too. As for the non-information nature of the game, get used to it. Every game is like this. Without a guide, expect to miss numerous things in each game your first go around. Getting everything is what NG+ is for. :)

Also, I haven't followed the series at all, do people still look back fondly at this game or do most people like Dark Souls more?

DeS is still looked back fondly, however I think most people think Dark Souls 1 is the pinnacle of the series. They are all great games, though.

strafer

This is it guys, I'm finally jumping into Demon Souls for the very first time.

HkqIBYH.jpg

strafer

Well, first impressions; Did I put in the right game?

Coming off Dark Souls 3 this game is blowing my mind right now. I'm not that far in, just unlocked the first shortcut and picked up a jade ornament. Bringing the feels this early is not a good sign.

Don't like that the Halberd is using the Black Knight Halberd moveset from Dark Souls 1.

item and equip burden, holy shit nooooooooo, time to be resourceful.

And a fucking love that the riposte is constant hornet ring. Always loved that animation in Dark Souls.

But I can already tell im going to love this game.

oSoLucky

Well, first impressions; Did I put in the right game?

Coming off Dark Souls 3 this game is blowing my mind right now. I'm not that far in, just unlocked the first shortcut and picked up a jade ornament. Bringing the feels this early is not a good sign.

Don't like that the Halberd is using the Black Knight Halberd moveset from Dark Souls 1.

item and equip burden, holy shit nooooooooo, time to be resourceful.

And a fucking love that the riposte is constant hornet ring. Always loved that animation in Dark Souls.

But I can already tell im going to love this game.

It's really not hipster that some people consider it the best in the series still. I have to finish the last bits of SotFS and BB to pass judgement on that, but it deserves being on equal mention with the rest of the games.

I haven't played this game in 3 years or so, made a new character yesterday and doing a Platinum run. On NG+ at 22 hours in(I'm a dirty duper, I've already seen the game) and forgot how much I missed the MP bar. I play a caster in nearly every RPG out there so I hated being limited in DkS.

Also, Pure Bladestone on my 2nd kill earlier. It's supposedly a 0.5% drop?

I'm still a bit confused about this tendency stuff.
It is a bit confusing at first.

Basically:
- World Tendency is effected by dying in human form, killing bosses, NPCs or Primeval Demons (these only show up in black world tendency)
- Character Tendency is effected by invading, being invaded (including NPCs) or killing NPCs

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-tendency

So if you want to keep white world tendency for example, never die in human form in a world. After defeating a boss (and regaining human form) return to the Nexus, jump off a ledge to die, then return to the world, it will now be a step closer to Pure White (PW). You have to leave a world for tendency changes to take effect. So to go full black world for example, kill yourself 7-ish times in a world, each time using a Stone of Ephemeral Eye to turn human, return to the Nexus, return to the world and it will now by Pure Black World Tendency (PBWT)

It is possible to do all world and character tendency events, white and black, in a single playthrough but it's best done with a guide or a checklist. It does all sound confusing, but once you've got your head around it, it's quite easy to do as long as you are careful - I always have a little checklist at the side of me when doing all the events, kind of old school!

strafer

It is a bit confusing at first.

Basically:
- World Tendency is effected by dying in human form, killing bosses, NPCs or Primeval Demons (these only show up in black world tendency)
- Character Tendency is effected by invading, being invaded (including NPCs) or killing NPCs

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-tendency

So if you want to keep white world tendency for example, never die in human form in a world. After defeating a boss (and regaining human form) return to the Nexus, jump off a ledge to die, then return to the world, it will now be a step closer to Pure White (PW). You have to leave a world for tendency changes to take effect. So to go full black world for example, kill yourself 7-ish times in a world, each time using a Stone of Ephemeral Eye to turn human, return to the Nexus, return to the world and it will now by Pure Black World Tendency (PBWT)

It is possible to do all world and character tendency events, white and black, in a single playthrough but it's best done with a guide or a checklist. It does all sound confusing, but once you've got your head around it, it's quite easy to do as long as you are careful - I always have a little checklist at the side of me when doing all the events, kind of old school!

Thanks! Sounds easy enough, but I think I will just ignore that stuff for my first playthrough and just play and do all that other stuff in NG+.

Speaking of NG+, does that work like in Dark Souls 1 in that you kill the last boss and it's over? And if so, will I know when that time comes so I don't accidentally kill the last boss and enter NG+?

mclem

Thanks! Sounds easy enough, but I think I will just ignore that stuff for my first playthrough and just play and do all that other stuff in NG+.

Speaking of NG+, does that work like in Dark Souls 1 in that you kill the last boss and it's over? And if so, will I know when that time comes so I don't accidentally kill the last boss and enter NG+?

It's very obvious when you're approaching the final boss and most of the game can be wandered around prior to that point. However, one key element
the ability to level up
becomes inaccessible slightly before then (again in somewhat obvious circumstances)
Completing the final world
, which means you're going to be
holding on to a lot of souls for quite a long time

So, in the least spoilery terms (still with a spoiler, but it's fairly benign, and refers to the game structure in general which will become apparent over time)

* It's very easy to postpone entering NG+
* The best point in the game to spend some time exploring and farming is a little before that point.
* The best point in the game to do that is
before beating the last boss in whichever archstone you leave to the end

Sigh* I got the platinum for Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition PC. I think I might work on getting the platinum for Demon's Souls over the summer. The only thing I know, is the grind for pureblade(?) is terrible? Anything else I should know?

plus I never really beaten Demon's Souls :( Started with Dark Souls on xbox 360..

cj_iwakura

Sigh* I got the platinum for Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition PC. I think I might work on getting the platinum for Demon's Souls over the summer. The only thing I know, is the grind for pureblade(?) is terrible? Anything else I should know?

plus I never really beaten Demon's Souls :( Started with Dark Souls on xbox 360..

There's a grinding spot for it with the lizards, but again: good luck. I found it easier than Dark Souls to platinum, or at least more fun.

Raitaro

Hey guys, I thought I'd pop in here (as well) to share something I came across this past week and thought to be quite cool for us (Demon's) Souls fans. Hope it's ok to share what is essentially a commercial.

I'm sure most of you'll agree it's worth a look: https://youtu.be/yer743a8K9Q

I'll use spoilers to keep the surprise for now but did Maserati consciously use the
narrator - or similar sounding one - from Demon's Souls and made this as an ode to the game? The narration strongly reminds me of the game's lore and opening, especially the final line about the soul and the opening about the ancients.

neoism

Hey guys, I thought I'd pop in here (as well) to share something I came across this past week and thought to be quite cool for us (Demon's) Souls fans. Hope it's ok to share what is essentially a commercial.

I'll use spoilers to keep the surprise for now but did Maserati consciously use the
narrator - or similar sounding one - from Demon's Souls and made this as an ode to the game? The narration strongly reminds me of the game's lore and opening, especially the final line about the soul and the opening about the ancients.

also if you need it down the line.. one of the best wikis for the game

cj_iwakura

That's definitely not the same narrator.

Also, online is still fairly active, been helping a friend with a new dex build. Makoto still best.

Raitaro

also if you need it down the line.. one of the best wikis for the game

I've played the game to completion when it first came out so I know about this (indeed useful) wiki. Thanks anyway though.

That's definitely not the same narrator.

Also, online is still fairly active, been helping a friend with a new dex build. Makoto still best.

Well, it's close enough to be more than a coincedence I believe, especially if you take into account the things she says about ancients and souls and the tone of the overall thing. I thought it could be a nice hommage at least, but maybe my perspective is simply Souls infused at this point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes. Just until I finish upgrading the proper weapons. Still, love Makoto.
Okay, fair enough.

Makoto is kinda neat on a VIT gouge build, since it has static damage, and the bleed is actually half-decent in PvP (I think its bleed is better than poison!), but the HP drain is a little insane, so I never cared for it much.

cj_iwakura

Okay, fair enough.

Makoto is kinda neat on a VIT gouge build, since it has static damage, and the bleed is actually half-decent in PvP (I think its bleed is better than poison!), but the HP drain is a little insane, so I never cared for it much.

The bleeding saved my life against a BP Mind Flayer, heh. He died from the bleeding just after paralyzing me.

I usually offset the drain with a regen ring and/or the Adjudicator shield.

It pains me that I haven't played Bloodborne yet, and that I'll need both a PS4 and Plus to do so.

Soulhouf

At +5 the bleed is insane.
HP drain can be offed with Adjucator shield and Regenerator's ring.

cj_iwakura

god, why does every phantom use the Scraping Spear. Biggest asshole weapon in the game. :(

Because they're cowards. Remove all your gear and backstab those fools. Or lure them in with a fake build(i.e. making them think you're a tank then switch to dual katanas :D).

What was the optimal build for the Uchigatana Dex? Default, or should it go to Quality?

cj_iwakura

Sharp.
The only problem is that it requires some farming for the pure bladestone.

Yeah, I didn't see it because I forgot it started from standard and I already had a +1. I'm just making a new build for a friend, but also to replace the perfected adept I had on the PS3 that died. :( Not quite the same, but she's getting there.

Soulhouf

Yeah, I didn't see it because I forgot it started from standard and I already had a +1. I'm just making a new build for a friend, but also to replace the perfected adept I had on the PS3 that died. :( Not quite the same, but she's getting there.

+1 isn't a big deal and you can revert it.
When farming the black skeleton you'll very likely get another katana.

jonjonaug

Pure bladestone is the last thing I need for plat and it's driving me up the wall.

So far I have 90 Soul Remains, over 100 shards, over 25 chunks, and zero pures. Plus over a dozen or so Uchigatanas have dropped.

cj_iwakura

Pure bladestone is the last thing I need for plat and it's driving me up the wall.

So far I have 90 Soul Remains, over 100 shards, over 25 chunks, and zero pures. Plus over a dozen or so Uchigatanas have dropped.
Ask at Game FAQs, someone may be able to help you within your SL range.

Top Bottom