• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

No co-op summons are on your side and enemies treat them exactly as they treat you.

That makes sense. I felt a bit stupid asking that question if I am honest : ) Thanks for the info.

Of all the Souls games I have now tried I really feel Demons and BB just have the atmosphere down pitch perfect. That creeping dread of what lies ahead, it's just so tangible when playing them. I rarely feel I am playing a game and more like breathing in a new world.

^ I agree, DeS and BB really nail that feeling, DS1's connected world is also really special, but I still return to Demon's for the atmosphere and unique tone.

Man, I've been playing for over 20 hours and haven't had a single invade yet, or anyone join me from the blue stone :(
You are in human form? You can't see summon signs or be invaded whilst in spirit form.

RedSwirl

Of all the Souls games I have now tried I really feel Demons and BB just have the atmosphere down pitch perfect. That creeping dread of what lies ahead, it's just so tangible when playing them. I rarely feel I am playing a game and more like breathing in a new world.

I haven't played BB yet but I agree on Demon's Souls. It's why it edges out Dark Souls 1 as my favorite Souls game. Might have something to do with the color palette. The world feels slightly less fantastical and slightly more medieval. Dark Souls pre-Anor Londo comes close.

I haven't played BB yet but I agree on Demon's Souls. It's why it edges out Dark Souls 1 as my favorite Souls game. Might have something to do with the color palette. The world feels slightly less fantastical and slightly more medieval. Dark Souls pre-Anor Londo comes close.

I agree, the more muted colour palette does help. Each world in DeS feels so unique and full of grim danger. I mean after playing any of world 5 I feel like I need a wash. That's how consuming this game gets for me. Even world 1, which is pretty generic as level sets go, is fully enthralling. Only world 2 felt subpar for me and even that works on a claustrophobic tip.

I would heartily recommend Bloodborne then. The visuals and atmosphere are just so on point. Of course if you are looking for DS style build diversity and turtling then you are bang out of luck. I personally think BB is a superlative game. Once I started I couldn't stop. Whereas DeS I have to really be in the mood.

Gaaraz

You are in human form? You can't see summon signs or be invaded whilst in spirit form.
Ah, I see, thank you. So once I kill a boss and have lots of health, that's spirit form? For what it's worth I've spent a lot of time in both forms and have no invades or summon requests :( I often see other people's messages, or other people's ghosts though.

Ah, I see, thank you. So once I kill a boss and have lots of health, that's spirit form? For what it's worth I've spent a lot of time in both forms and have no invades or summon requests :( I often see other people's messages, or other people's ghosts though.

Once you kill a boss, you gain body form and your health bar returns to normal. If you die at any point while in body form you respawn as Soul form with the health loss.

If you want to turn to body form without killing a boss then you can use a stone of ephemeral eyes.

The game is quite empty now. Depending on what time zone you play will depend on how busy or not it is.

Seeing other players ghosts and messages is a constant while playing online. When those messages or ghosts were made could have been years ago I suppose.

Bouniter

The other way around.

When your health bar is full for example just after killing a boss you are in body form and so can be invaded and summon help, but you can't help others.

When you have a percentage of your maximum health you are in soul form in which you cannot be invaded or summon help, but you can place your summon sign down to help others. Also your footsteps make less noise.

Then you have to worry about world tendency but if this is your first time through don't.

Edit: Beaten and returned to soul form.

Axass

I'm 70 hours in.

Can't beat the False King, it's the last area I need to complete. I stopped playing more than a year ago due to frustration.

I have a knight with a long sword +7 (went in blind and didn't do Blacksmith Ed's sidequest) and some magic (bullets, protection, sword buff, clouds, etc.).

Help.

Axass

What are your stats? I can make better gear recommendation if I know more about your build.

Thank you! Will post the stats tomorrow, as soon as I can play. One thing I can say already though, it feels like a pretty shitty character. By memory, I invested a lot in vitality, strength and endurance. A little less in intelligence and dexterity. Less in faith and magic, almost nothing in luck.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thank you! Will post the stats tomorrow, as soon as I can play. One thing I can say already though, it feels like a pretty shitty character. By memory, I invested a lot in vitality, strength and endurance. A little less in intelligence and dexterity. Less in faith and magic, almost nothing in luck.
That sounds pretty good actually! The more focused your stats are, the better you are.

On a strength build, I would recommend you pick a weapon which moveset you really like, and upgrade it to the Crushing path (using Greystone). If you lack the materials you can always just bring it to +10, that should be decent too. If you like the longsword moveset, upgrade the Knight Sword instead (you should have picked it up shortly before the False King), it's the same thing except stronger and with better reach.

If you have enough intelligence (18), get the Curse Weapon spell from Yuria the Witch and use it to make your weapon very, very strong. It will drain your HP while it's active, but it's manageable. Better yet, if you use the Talisman of Beasts and don't meet the requirements to use it (18 faith/magic), casting Curse Weapon with it will make the HP drain negligible. Not sure why, maybe not an intentional effect but oh well... :)

If you don't have enough int, use Warding, perhaps, though the False King's sword attacks are partially magical so it might not help that much. You can buff your weapon with turpentine or sticky white stuff instead, though I'm not sure how good that is against him.

Oh yeah, since his attacks are magic, you can perhaps block them with the Dark Silver Shield, though it might drain your stamina fast so it's better to roll. Make sure you are always under 50% of your equip burden for the lighter roll. Heavy armour will not help you in this game, not ever. Stay mobile.

Good luck.

Axass

That sounds pretty good actually! The more focused your stats are, the better you are.

On a strength build, I would recommend you pick a weapon which moveset you really like, and upgrade it to the Crushing path (using Greystone). If you lack the materials you can always just bring it to +10, that should be decent too. If you like the longsword moveset, upgrade the Knight Sword instead (you should have picked it up shortly before the False King), it's the same thing except stronger and with better reach.

If you have enough intelligence (18), get the Curse Weapon spell from Yuria the Witch and use it to make your weapon very, very strong. It will drain your HP while it's active, but it's manageable. Better yet, if you use the Talisman of Beasts and don't meet the requirements to use it (18 faith/magic), casting Curse Weapon with it will make the HP drain negligible. Not sure why, maybe not an intentional effect but oh well... :)

If you don't have enough int, use Warding, perhaps, though the False King's sword attacks are partially magical so it might not help that much. You can buff your weapon with turpentine or sticky white stuff instead, though I'm not sure how good that is against him.

Oh yeah, since his attacks are magic, you can perhaps block them with the Dark Silver Shield, though it might drain your stamina fast so it's better to roll. Make sure you are always under 50% of your equip burden for the lighter roll. Heavy armour will not help you in this game, not ever. Stay mobile.

Good luck.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

giphy.gif

What the fuck... I was already using the shield you recommended me, and had saved just before the boss, so I said I might as well just try lowering the equip burden under 50% and give it yet another try before going back to the Nexus and switching out stuff.

So I entered and I literally felt like this:

rock-lee-vs-gaara-o.gif

I did it on my first try without breaking any sweat. I can't believe I played the whole friggin' game wrong up until now. Moreso I can't believe I actually reached the end using the bad roll up until now. Feels like another game. If I had known before those damn Maneaters...

You're a saviour, my friend, thank you. The ending is balls though. Now I'm already after Phalanx in NG+ and got my first pure white tendency.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hahahaha, glad that helped! Yeah, my first time I picked wanderer, which starts with light armour. Then I stupidly bought heavier armour from the vendor in 1-1 because I saw the defense numbers go up, and noticed the fatroll... "oh well it must be worth being able to take a few hits, right?".

Nope, nope it wasn't. I played briefly as a fatroller until I faced, like, Flamelurker and decided that it was a bad idea and those measly points of defense didn't help at all.

In Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2, it's a bit more viable to play as a fatrolling tank (assuming you also use a really good shield, because if you can't dodge you better be able to block) because at least you get a bigger defense boost and poise (the ability to resist being staggered by hits), but in Demon's, there is no reason whatsoever to fatroll unless you're purposefully gimping yourself for the challenge.

So yeah, go full ninja!

RedSwirl

I'm about to psyche myself up for Allant too. Last time around I cheesed him with the arrow trick but I'm gonna try him legit this time. Some suggestions would be nice.

My character's a strength build. Strength, endurance, and vitality are in the 30's. Dex is in the 20's and magic is somewhere in the high 20's I believe.

My main weapon is a Crushing Mirdan Hammer +5, but I've got a few others too:
Quality Winged Spear +4
Lava Bow
Quality Combpount Bow +5
Claymore +8
Crescent Falchion +4
Dragon Longsword +4
and a Dark Heater Shield +5 I believe

No spells.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm in New Game + now. My only question for now is for suggestions for a good Moon weapon.
Depends on your preference, and your stats. Almost anything can be made moon, as far as I remember. If you're spellcasting with one hand and meleeing with the other, that can narrow it down to a weapon with a good 1h moveset.

RedSwirl

Depends on your preference, and your stats. Almost anything can be made moon, as far as I remember. If you're spellcasting with one hand and meleeing with the other, that can narrow it down to a weapon with a good 1h moveset.

No spellcasting really. I just heard Moon eventually out-paced Crescent for magic damage. Plus I already have the stones to fully upgrade a Moon weapon whereas I'd have to get all the way through world 4 again before I can get any Pure Darkmoon stone.

neoism

welp this game finally clicked for me... played 10 straight hours today lol did world 4 in one goo.. also daamn the prison is awesome and that tentacle face enemy is straight out of BB....

about the only thing i really dislike is why the fuck is there sooooo many weapon upgrade mats damn.. like 25 or something.. the titanite system is soo much better. plus i dont really like the world tendency system.. but its nice to finally get into this. i got it on the psn store for 5 bones a year ago and still only got to 1-2 before quitting again. i have something to play before ds3...
april 12th please hurry......

I just watched the credits roll on my first play through tonight. This is the first souls game I've played so I'm feeling pretty proud, and I'm glad I started with the original. It definitely goes straight onto my list of favorite games. Such a rich, challenging and memorable experience. I already miss the Nexus & want to jump back in. I'll post a longer write up of my thoughts in a day or two, tonight I just wanted to share my excitement!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just watched the credits roll on my first play through tonight. This is the first souls game I've played so I'm feeling pretty proud, and I'm glad I started with the original. It definitely goes straight onto my list of favorite games. Such a rich, challenging and memorable experience. I already miss the Nexus & want to jump back in. I'll post a longer write up of my thoughts in a day or two, tonight I just wanted to share my excitement!
Nice! Congrats and welcome to the rich experience of Souls games :)

mstevens

The last upgrade material I need is a pure bladestone. Would anyone be willing to donate one on a NA account? I've never done co op and I'm over leveled for NG+, so I'm not sure it will work. Around level 147.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm, I could probably help but I think 147 is too high.

Edit: hmm maybe not...

Quick question: is it for the trophy, or just to max out a weapon you're using?

Gaaraz

Any recommendations for taking down the Blue Dragon please? His flame kills me in one hit :(

Currently trying to grind my strength up to 22 so I can equip a longbow and then buy like 500 arrows and just hit him.

But that sounds boring, and the grinding I'm doing now is super boring too. Also just lost almost 50k souls on 4-2, argh!

Any recommendations for taking down the Blue Dragon please? His flame kills me in one hit :(

Currently trying to grind my strength up to 22 so I can equip a longbow and then buy like 500 arrows and just hit him.

But that sounds boring, and the grinding I'm doing now is super boring too. Also just lost almost 50k souls on 4-2, argh!
You have the right idea, either use magic if you have it or arrows if not. Run past the flame, it is possible to make it all the way through without taking damage if you time it right. Then from under the doorway arch fire at it until dead.

The trick is to use as many offense-boosting items as you can. The clever rat's ring is essential and the Morion Blade if you have it also, plus magic boosting rings/gear if using magic (magic sharpness ring, kris blade). Taking a hit from the fire is a good way to get your HP down within range of using the clever rats ring.

Gaaraz

Thank you, good shout on clever rats ring! :) Although I worry that I can't take a single hit from the flames to get my health down :(

Also I do have high magic (plus soul ray/soul arrow) but neither can actually seem to hit the dragon unfortunately. Unless it's possible when I run to the other side?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you have the makoto sword, you can equip it to lower your health until the hyper mode triggers and then remove it, as it drains your HP while equipped.

And yeah to target the blue dragon, run and avoid the flames until you stand directly under him. You activate lock-on and you will automatically target him while being safe. Then you just spam the projectiles of your choice until he's dead.

If you have high magic, get Soul Ray, tons of spice, and equip the clever rat ring and the ring of magical sharpness. If you have the monk's headwrap from 3-3, equip that too (even if it's ugly), as it boosts magic damage. And if you have the kris blade, equip that in your offhand while you cast. He'll go down in no time.

Edit: lol, should've read Red Liquorice's post before writing all that xD

rahji

Has anyone a pure bladestone and a pure moonlightstone? These are the last materials I need for the platinum trophy. Thanks in advance! PSN rahji42 EU Soul-Level 130

Gaaraz

Thank you again for the 1-5 tips, been trying to do 5-2 but after probably close to 10 hours I think I'm finally giving up. Going to attempt this one last as both the trolls and the black phantom can kill me in a single hit :(

Gaaraz

Can't even get close to the dragon now. Even the guys with the red eyes kill me in one hit. Is this game like Skyrim where the enemies level up along with you? I thought as I levelled up the game would get easier but the exact opposite is happening. I'm doing far worse on levels that previously I could at least make it to a boss.

ActWan

Can't even get close to the dragon now. Even the guys with the red eyes kill me in one hit. Is this game like Skyrim where the enemies level up along with you? I thought as I levelled up the game would get easier but the exact opposite is happening. I'm doing far worse on levels that previously I could at least make it to a boss.

Nope, it's not like Skyrim, you can be overleveled. But check your world tendency...
5-2 is IMO the hardest area in the game. Try to avoid the big enemies and the phantom, they aren't mandatory IIRC, just guarding some loot.
About the dragon - try to kill it with arrows if you're having trouble getting past it, Bring about 300-400. And try to grind a bit...Go to 4-2, great place to grind in.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thank you again for the 1-5 tips, been trying to do 5-2 but after probably close to 10 hours I think I'm finally giving up. Going to attempt this one last as both the trolls and the black phantom can kill me in a single hit :(
Geez how low is your VIT? The game is much easier if you invest a little bit in VIT, those enemies hit hard but it shouldn't OHKO...

Plus you can skip most of them. The BP only guards an optional area you probably don't need at all, and the giant trolls can mostly be skirted around with the thief ring.

Gaaraz

Thanks both, I'll check to see what my world tendency is, but it's good to know that if I level it will actually help rather than hinder :)

I've tried killing them (Firestorm destroys them, but the delay in casting gives them an opportunity to hit me, and I always die) and tried running past, but they always manage to get me anyway. Good shout on the thief's ring - should make running past them easier!

The phantom destroyed me even quicker than the trolls. I've heard there's a good armour set (female) lurking around that area though, behind a giant slug, or something like that. I have a ring of regeneration and an adjudicator's shield +1 so the swamp isn't a problem any more at least.

I think my VIT is something like 18, but I'll try to get it higher. 4-2 is fantastic with the guy at the start, he goes down with a few arrows and gives a huge amount of souls, but the rest of the level is quite tricky I find, especially those guys who fire the unblockable laser beam at you :(

The enemies don't level as you do. However all enemies have the potential to rain on your parade. Even basic enemies can do big damage. Red eyes are some of the worst. Take them one on one, goad them to attack and then counter strike. Or learn to parry. Treat every fight as potential death and learn from mistakes.

Your levelling will only help you slightly. Endurance is king. Learn the enemies moves, use your head.

The blue dragon can be goaded to flame and then run like a goddamn bastard, roll as you near the end of your endurance bar. You can make it. I take it you haven't found Biorr then? He makes a good distraction : )

I did world 5-2 on, last. Hated those levels. In a good way I hated them.

EDIT: I swear those last few posts weren't there when I started writing. Nvm

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
18 VIT is way too low for the end-game. Ouch.

The female armour set isn't in the same area as the black phantom NPC, BTW. It's on the other side of the fog gate, past the hill with the first giant troll. You find a small island with a lonely slug, kill it, and
somehow it drops Selen's armour
. lol.
Selen
herself shows up in that area in PWWT (
and her hostile black phantom version in PBWT -- watch out, she's hard!
) so it's not as if
she died
or anything, it's just weird.

In that same area, though, watch out for an island with glowing items in the distance. Approach carefully with the thief ring on, and be ready to run away. You'll understand why when you see the enemies... xD (Also the treasure is arguably not worth it, just
Stones of Ephemeral Eyes
)

Gaaraz

Thanks guys, I do have Biorr but he isn't around at the moment unfortunately. It's the first dragon encounter, going to try to take him down again now.

My stats are:

VIT 18
INT 24
END 22
STR 18
DEX 14
MAG 25
FAI 13
LUC 7

That's after over 30 hours of gameplay too. Soul level 61.

I will try to be a lot more careful in general though, especially against the tough enemies.

Also whilst typing this, for the first time ever I just got summoned to someone else's world! Died very quickly though :(

Just tried the blue dragon again, I was doing like 21 damage with my wand. Have a feeling I'm going to be here a lonnnngg time (the video I saw was doing over 250)

Gaaraz

Thanks for the 5-2 tips too, is the armour worth it do you think? Thanks for the heads up on the stones in the Island too, will give that a miss, those trolls absolutely destroy me!

Thanks guys, I do have Biorr but he isn't around at the moment unfortunately. It's the first dragon encounter, going to try to take him down again now.

Oh I must have misunderstood. Thought you were doing the Blue dragon.

By the first dragon encounter do you mean the bridge in 1-2 where the Red dragon circles and flames the bridge? I only bothered doing that when I was in NG+, with a Compound Longbow +10 it took about 100+ arrows.

Gaaraz

Ah, sorry I explained that badly - I've already taken down the dragon in 1-2 (took around 40 minutes) but I mean the first encounter of the blue dragon on 1-4 before he flies off to the stairs. Biorr is hanging around the Nexus, but hasn't come to help me on this bit yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Biorr is of no help against this dragon. When he's there, the dragon just goes spastic and you can't just continuously spam projectiles on its head from the safe place.

Gaaraz

Thanks, I've decided to save that level for last since it's giving me so much trouble, hopefully I can take down the dragon easier once I've levelled up too :)

Managed to breeze past 4-2, made it to the boss with over 50k souls before getting destroyed. Then died again right away on the level so they're all gone :(

Still only VIT 21 plus in soul form my health is pretty low. Definitely what I'm focusing on now. Shame soul thirst uses 3 slots - I'd be here forever to get enough to equip both that and fire storm!

4-2 can be a bitch with the grim reapers etc, the Thief's Ring is very useful for the boss if you don't already have it equipped because he is blind, it does kind of make the fight trivial unless you mis-time a roll or something and have low HP.
1-4 is kind of the final area story-wise any way so a good decision to leave that for last.

Gaaraz

Thank you! Going to try it later with the thiefs ring :) I think my problem before was that I was set up for grinding - I had the avarice ring equipped which probably isn't ideal against a boss (I usually have both the combination of regen ring and fragrant ring), plus a bow and kite shield when I usually have the adjudicators, plus soul thirst instead of firestorm - won't make that mistake again :)

One more question (thanks so much again for all of your advice btw, love this thread) - I'm tempted to try for the platinum trophy, but am worried I'm going to get stuck or it's going to be very grindy and not fun. I've never bothered about platinum trophies before but this game is oddly compelling (but also depressing and frustrating) - thank you

I've platinumed it twice, most recently earlier this year, and there's only one item that's really grindy to get and that's the Pure Bladestone which is farmed from only a few certain enemies in 4-2. You might get lucky and get it after 10 minutes, you might be there 4 hours and not see one. You can always get someone to drop you on online. I don't remember having any problems with any other items like that.

Other than that, it's only tricky because you have to get all the NPC questlines done and the quickest way is to do them all in one game cycle, which means getting all the black and white tendency events all done, and saving all the relevant NPCs, then killing all the relevant NPCs! It's best to use a checklist or something because if you screw one thing up it means having to do that part of the game again in NG+. I think it's fun to do though - I'm the same I don't bother with platinum trophies in any other series but you want to eek out every bit of content there is, and Demon's might be the quickest of all the Souls games to platinum (if you get the pure bladestone to drop!)

Gaaraz

Thank you! I actually killed the guy on 4-2 behind the hidden door quite a bit whilst grinding, so hoped I had already stumbled across a Pure Bladestone... alas that was pretty optimistic of me :) I've tried to learn more of the game mechanics, so went into dark world tendency to try to get the phantom samurai - but I've not succeeded in even killing him once yet, let alone grinding to get the stone! :D I've also upped my luck and crafted the sword of searching. I feel cheeky asking, but if anyone on the European server has one spare I'd be very grateful!

Thanks for the advice on getting the other trophies too - I'm already planning on doing NG+ to get some of the souls to learn spells/miracles that I've missed out on. But I'm still really worried that I'm going to miss out on things even on my new game. Especially things that are so easily missed like the Ring of Herculean Strength - how do people even get that without a guide?

I've finally managed to kill that pesky blue dragon! Thanks for the tips, only took 300+ arrows and lots of spices for soul ray :)

Unfortunately Biorr died despite my best efforts to try to keep him alive. I can't walk any more, but I do look pretty bad ass:

6QJzFAh.jpg

z1Pf34B.jpg

yayaba

Wow, color me surprised that people are still posting here in a 7 year old game!

So I've had this sitting on my PS3 for ages, never got around to it, haven't played any Souls games at all. Hell, I barely play my PS3 even, instead playing FF14:ARR on PC or LCG's (Game of Thrones). But after listening to DLC and hearing Jeff rave about Dark Souls for too long decided I should finally give this a shot.

I can definitely see why people love this game but man, this feels like a rabbit hole time suck that I'm not sure I want to get invested in. I have a hard enough time finding time for FF14 and my board game hobby as it is.

I guess my long winded question is, if I want to casually dabble in a Souls game, is this the right one to start with? I've barely started, maybe just an hour and I already feel overwhelmed by the non-information nature of the game. It's basically the polar opposite of FF14 which is my "turn-off-my-brain" game since it's basically just pushing hotkeys and watching enemies die while I listen to nice Final Fantasy music.

Also, I haven't followed the series at all, do people still look back fondly at this game or do most people like Dark Souls more?

Top Bottom