• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Canova

Banned
Guevara said:
What's a good upgrade path for a Royal? So far I've been spamming Soul Arrow and upgrading my Rapier a few times, but most of my souls go into increasing my SL. Should I be looking for new spells?

you should combine melee and spell, or even go full melee, it's more fun that way

cquinones

Neo Member
Borrowed the game over the weekend... It's been pretty great so far. I started as a Knight, not really knowing anything about the game. I also accidentally attacked the vendor in 1-2. :lol

Will the NPC stay hostile? If that's the case, then I think it may be time to re-roll and try out the Royal class. :D

I can't believe I'm this late to the party.

oracrest

I spent a few hours last night really diving into the multiplayer for the first time.

So I assume that once you start a multiplayer session, you are locked into it until you die or finish that level? It's almost feels like a different game, stopping in your tracks and all running back through a level to engage with a black phantom that is invading.

Once guy was nice enough to pick up the Uchigatana (sp?) when I was overburdened, and met me later at a different archstone and gave it back to me.

roxya

Guevara said:
What's a good upgrade path for a Royal? So far I've been spamming Soul Arrow and upgrading my Rapier a few times, but most of my souls go into increasing my SL. Should I be looking for new spells?

I dunno how far you are into the game. Flame Toss is a good 2nd spell. After that, Soul Ray will be your main ranged damage spell. You want to start using better spells whenever your old ones are too weak. If you upgrade to Soul Ray and can't handle the drain on your MP, stick to something weaker until you can afford spices.

Warding is the most useful support spell.

Otherwise, look at getting a Crescent weapon (like the Crescent Falchion from 4-1), and make a lava bow.

cquinones said:
Borrowed the game over the weekend... It's been pretty great so far. I started as a Knight, not really knowing anything about the game. I also accidentally attacked the vendor in 1-2. :lol

Will the NPC stay hostile? If that's the case, then I think it may be time to re-roll and try out the Royal class. :D

I can't believe I'm this late to the party.

Yeah he will. Although that trader isn't very important.

cquinones

Neo Member
Metalmurphy said:
Yeah he will. Although that trader isn't very important.

Ah. Cool.

Another stupid thing I did was buy some spells and miracles without having a way to cast them... Oops. I wanted to re-roll because of that, but I just learned that I can find those items relatively early. I like how open this game is.

btothekw

just picked up this game a few weeks ago, very addictive, decided to go with thief. Whats a good upgrade/stats path for thief?

oracrest

My Deluxe Edition came in :D

d0eb8c46.jpg

I have been having a lot of fun capturing good compositions and scenes from the game. If it's annoying, or too spoiler-ish for people, I'll stop though.

adc31727.jpg

oracrest

canova said:
hot! is that the disc case or the slip cover?

It's the slip cover. The actual DVD case is the standard blue smoke cover. The slip cover holds the game, and a hint book. You can barely see the ends of the on the side...

Alien Manobo said:
I'm currently miles away from my console, but would like to take you up on your offer when I get back. Not so sure about my sl, I think it is around 150-160.

Xanathus was the only GAFfer I played with. I'm down for some red/blue/black action.

Alright, that sounds like a deal. What's your PSN, I'll add you. I think I have a character in that range.

oracrest

I would love to play with some Gaffers sometime. It seems like the blue signs show up fine, as long as you have a time and place figured out.

Now if only one of us had their body....... :lol

RustyO

oracrest said:
It wasn't until playing through this second time that I noticed the ENTIRE CITY down below you :D

b8eeeefd.jpg

When I found that, I think I just lit up a cigarette and enjoyed the view for a few minutes. :lol

oracrest

I am going to hop online for a while, currently in soul form. If any gaffers want to try and get a multiplayer session going, PSN: oracrest

edit: (NA servers)

Facism

currently soul level 29. went pure black tendency in world 2 and cleared black phantom scirvir and the primaeval demon, so now onto flamelurker to push into pure white tendency and clear up the goodies. got a colorless demon soul too :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Big B said:
How did you kill scirvir at that level?
It's not hard if you have lots of arrows and a decent bow. Scirvir can't touch you. The only question is whether you can hit him with arrows fast enough to cancel his attempts at healing, especially when he starts trying to spam heal when his health gets critical.

A little tedious and perhaps not the most honorable route, but it works.

RyanDG

So I just started to play this game today and two things:

#1 - This game is raping my face. Over and over again. Yet somehow, I enjoy it. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

#2 - flame throwing dragons, red eye knights with giant freakin' lances, and really tall heights seem to be my weakness.

Facism

MetatronM said:
It's not hard if you have lots of arrows and a decent bow. Scirvir can't touch you. The only question is whether you can hit him with arrows fast enough to cancel his attempts at healing, especially when he starts trying to spam heal when his health gets critical.

A little tedious and perhaps not the most honorable route, but it works.

yeh i did this. except he fell to his death :lol

got full white tendency after killing the dragon, got the dragon smasher and a pure greystone from the real scirvir.

RyanDG said:
So I just started to play this game today and two things:

#1 - This game is raping my face. Over and over again. Yet somehow, I enjoy it. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

#2 - flame throwing dragons, red eye knights with giant freakin' lances, and really tall heights seem to be my weakness.

As for #1, I agree. It's the most enjoyable rape in the world. Mainly because you have that amazing feeling of accomplishment when you actually get past the parts that destroy you.

As for #2, avoid the dragons and red eye knights for later. Trust me when I say you'll be coming back to that area again. You should definitely get some more combat experience under your belt before you tackle any red eyes. As for heights, just watch your dodging, and if it seems to risky, lure an enemy to an area with better footing.

Good luck, and welcome to my GOTY 2009!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Solstice said:
As for #1, I agree. It's the most enjoyable rape in the world. Mainly because you have that amazing feeling of accomplishment when you actually get past the parts that destroy you.!
The sense of accomplishment really is awesome. Just doing all the Pure Black and Pure White stuff in Stonefang and then beating the world boss was more satisfying than most full games I've played in the past few years. And that's just world 2! :lol

Prezhulio

Solstice said:
avoid the dragons and red eye knights for later. Trust me when I say you'll be coming back to that area again.

also new to this game from the amazon lightning deal, so does the game eventually explain anything to you, for instance how or why you should go back to these areas you perish at early? or the wiki basically a must?

i'm really really enjoying it, but if i'm going to get destroyed later because i didn't pick up the right items from x spot that could have easily been overlooked without a guide, i'll be pretty pissed (granted i'm very early in).

Facism

QUESTION:

So i rolled through 4-1 for the first time, killed off the boss, went back to the nexus and dropped of my loot.

Went to 4-2 and found the sword Makoto. Everywhere i'm reading says it only turns up in Pure white tendency. What the hell is going on there, then? I've only cleared one boss in world 4, that's definately not enough for pure white tendency.

[edit]looks like the blue dragon in 1-1 has disappeared from it's roost, supposedly only happens in pure white, too. wtf man

Dizzle24

I stayed clear of this game since it was released in the NA, because I am far from an RPG fan. I was always sort of interested in it because of the raping difficulty and intrigued that people seemed to love it.

Then the 2010 summer gaming drought hit after RDR was released. I 100%'d that by late June and was itching for something new; I finally cracked and picked up DS in July.

Holy. effing. Shit.

Made my character (Wanderer). Died about 30 times on 1-1 before I defeated the first Blue Knight. :lol

It took me verrrrrry long to figure out the leveling up stats thing(what each stat did), the weapon creation/upgrading system and tendencies system. I am only about level 65 and have completed all but 1-4 and everything after 5-1.

The Wiki has been a godsend and helped me like you wouldn't believe. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

In all, this game rocks my socks and I can't wait to finish it so I can start a NG+ with my heavier weapons (when hopefully leveling up my needed stats is cheaper than 34k souls :lol)

So, I found the NPC knight in 1-1, and rescued him. But after going back to the Nexus to drop off stuff and returning there, I think I accidentally killed him while he was hanging out in the same area again fighting slave soldiers. He lunged right into my sword while I was killing an enemy next to him. He dropped a key. Did I do a bad thing? I know you need to rescue him to make a quest available later, did I screw that up? I noticed he no longer was in the Nexus after I returned there again.

Also, when can I talk to the woman in the Nexus in order to level up? I haven't beat 1-1 yet, and I presumed she comes back after you kill the first boss, but people seem to be saying otherwise.

Dizzle24

Facism said:
QUESTION:

So i rolled through 4-1 for the first time, killed off the boss, went back to the nexus and dropped of my loot.

Went to 4-2 and found the sword Makoto. Everywhere i'm reading says it only turns up in Pure white tendency. What the hell is going on there, then? I've only cleared one boss in world 4, that's definately not enough for pure white tendency.

[edit]looks like the blue dragon in 1-1 has disappeared from it's roost, supposedly only happens in pure white, too. wtf man

I think if you are logged on to the servers, your world tendency will change based on everyone's tendency for that world.

Canova

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
I stayed clear of this game since it was released in the NA, because I am far from an RPG fan. I was always sort of interested in it because of the raping difficulty and intrigued that people seemed to love it.

Then the 2010 summer gaming drought hit after RDR was released. I 100%'d that by late June and was itching for something new; I finally cracked and picked up DS in July.

Holy. effing. Shit.

Made my character (Wanderer). Died about 30 times on 1-1 before I defeated the first Blue Knight. :lol

It took me verrrrrry long to figure out the leveling up stats thing(what each stat did), the weapon creation/upgrading system and tendencies system. I am only about level 65 and have completed all but 1-4 and everything after 5-1.

The Wiki has been a godsend and helped me like you wouldn't believe. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

In all, this game rocks my socks and I can't wait to finish it so I can start a NG+ with my heavier weapons (when hopefully leveling up my needed stats is cheaper than 34k souls :lol)

this game is straight up old school! it lives up to its reputation. by far the most hardcore this generation

oracrest

Big Icarus said:
So, I found the NPC knight in 1-1, and rescued him. But after going back to the Nexus to drop off stuff and returning there, I think I accidentally killed him while he was hanging out in the same area again fighting slave soldiers. He lunged right into my sword while I was killing an enemy next to him. He dropped a key. Did I do a bad thing? I know you need to rescue him to make a quest available later, did I screw that up? I noticed he no longer was in the Nexus after I returned there again.

Also, when can I talk to the woman in the Nexus in order to level up? I haven't beat 1-1 yet, and I presumed she comes back after you kill the first boss, but people seem to be saying otherwise.

I accidentally killed him on my first playthrough too. Although, I didn't realize it. I forget how it happened, but very early on, he wasn't in the Nexus, and I could get into the chamber of the old King.

The girl in black is always in the nexus, but she moves around a bit. she will be somewhere on the main foyer area where all the archstones are. there are a handful of locations that she jumps between.

LiK

All these new player comments remind me of the time when the game launched in Asia and ppl were importing it. This is like going back in time. :D

Despera

Banned
LiK said:
All these new player comments remind me of the time when the game launched in Asia and ppl were importing it. This is like going back in time. :D

Hopefully we won't have to import Demon's Souls 2 (AKA Project Dark). But I share your sentiment.

Guevara

Coldsnap said:
ugh this game has turned into one big F.A.Q for me. I've probably spent as much time playing the game as reading FAQs.

I'm really trying to fight this urge too. I figure I can try to get everything in NG+, so I'm saving the FAQs for then.

Canova

Banned
Coldsnap said:
ugh this game has turned into one big F.A.Q for me. I've probably spent as much time playing the game as reading FAQs.

true! the tendencies gave me headache in the first couple playthrus

Prezhulio said:
also new to this game from the amazon lightning deal, so does the game eventually explain anything to you, for instance how or why you should go back to these areas you perish at early? or the wiki basically a must?

i'm really really enjoying it, but if i'm going to get destroyed later because i didn't pick up the right items from x spot that could have easily been overlooked without a guide, i'll be pretty pissed (granted i'm very early in).

You can easily go back to areas from the nexus at any time. You'll learn the jist of revisiting areas as you play more. I tried to stay away from the FAQ for my first playthrough, just because learning things felt more accomplished to me than reading them.

oracrest

I enjoyed playing through without no F.A.Q. the first runthrough. the only thing I looked up was the occasional location of a type of stone.

I liked playing this game and not knowing what was around the next corner. Considering the whole game is continuously unique sequence of events, this made it really fun.

ACE 1991

So I'm jumping into this game after a couple of months, how big is the online presence? Are there still lots of helpful notes?

Canova

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
So I'm jumping into this game after a couple of months, how big is the online presence? Are there still lots of helpful notes?

which region? I'm playing in EU region, and it's still busy

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ACE 1991 said:
The most helpful notes will be there since they're rated high.

Edit: Yeah, EU is busy. So is Asia and US.

Celsior

So, I finally beat 1-1, felt like an accomplishment, I spent my souls on upping my stats but can find any new magic spells. Where do I get these?

oracrest

There is one character that can teach you basic spells, but you want to
free Sage Freke from his cell in 3-1. Once he is freed, he will be in the Nexus, and can teach you the better spells

LiK

Coldsnap said:

if there's something you should read, make sure to read up on Yurt the Silent Chief.

Top Bottom