• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

cquinones

Neo Member
Solstice said:
God, if you think it's evil at 2-1, you're in for some god damned surprises! Maneater and Flamelurker say hello. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hehe. I just like how I was like... "Ok. I'm going to buy a bow and take care of this guy. Let's see, how much is a bow? Ok, cool. Let me... oh shit I lost all my souls."

Pure evil genius. :D

cquinones said:
Hehe. I just like how I was like... "Ok. I'm going to buy a bow and take care of this guy. Let's see, how much is a bow? Ok, cool. Let me... oh shit I lost all my souls."

Pure evil genius. :D
Yep, and if you try to farm souls to get that bow, you risk dying and losing the souls you lost at the boss. It's so evil that Dr. Claw must be involved here.

oracrest

Speaking of Maneater, I am going through world 3-2, and way off in the distance, I can see a little flying silhouette. It's not close enough to be one of the angel enemies, it's waaaaaay off in the distance. Is that maneater waiting for me? :D

LiK

Solstice said:
God, if you think it's evil at 2-1, you're in for some god damned surprises! Maneater and Flamelurker say hello. :lol :lol :lol :lol

World 5 says hello :lol

Dizzle24

LiK said:
World 5 says hello :lol

I concur.

I owned all bosses from 1-1 to 5-1 on my first try, except the Dragon God, yet I am being beaten to a pulp on 5-2 by the enemies for days now :lol

Canova

Banned
cquinones said:
So... after running through 2-1 about 3 times, I end up dying at the boss battle. Will the bloodstain be right outside the boss area?

Please tell me that's the case. :(

2-1 is one of the most relaxing levels in the game :lol

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Dizzle24 said:
I concur.

I owned all bosses from 1-1 to 5-1 on my first try, except the Dragon God, yet I am being beaten to a pulp on 5-2 by the enemies for days now :lol

I gave you some advice on the giant depraved ones a page back. Any luck?

.GqueB.

Banned
canova said:
2-1 is one of the most relaxing levels in the game :lol
lol you WISH.

Best to gain some points elsewhere (dont die obviously) and learn escape so you can go in, get your shit and get out.

ACE 1991 said:
Well crap. I re bought demon's souls, and originally played the US version. What I ordered ended up being the JP version, and now I can't connect to the servers or load any of my saves. Is there anyway to do this, or am I boned?
Have you tried a JPN PSN account?

Dizzle24

Sword Familiar said:
I gave you some advice on the giant depraved ones a page back. Any luck?

I actually started replaying Bayonetta last night and haven't fired up DS since the other day :lol

I will take your advice once I man up and go back.

matmanx1

Wow, a second OT!? Unheard of! Everytime I pop into this thread it makes me want to put Demon's Souls back in my PS3 even though I've already beat it twice. The game is just that good and I am envious of anyone stepping into Boletaria for the first time. It's such an experience!

I hope you all have nothing against reading about a noob's path to discovery.

So, I beat Phalanx today. It actually wasn't that hard at all. I guess I actually got better at the game through being forced to play through the level over and over again, thanks to me dying all the time. Beat him on my first try, although I had to use twenty something crescent moon grass and seven or eight fire bombs.

Without knowing what I was doing, I continued on afterwards into 1-2 which lead to me being killed by one of the dragons. I died in the Nexus shortly afterwards (due to a fucking evil player who left a message in a location which you can't get away from without falling to your death; still, I only have myself to blame for taking the bait so easily) which cost me circa 3000 souls. :(

After that, I went on to check some of the other levels out. A message from another player in front of the archstone leading to world 4 told me that would be the way to go for souls. However, after dying ten times at the hand of the first enemy, I decided to wait for a bit. Next up was me trying 2-1. I had no problems with the guys with the pickaxes or the dogs, but got my ass handed to me by the fat guys who shoot fire. I couldn't figure out a way to kill them so I gave up on this level for now. Finally, I tried 3-1. That place is really freaking me out with the screams from prisoners and the tinkling of the enemies' bells. After dying a lot of times, I finally found out a relatively reliable way to kill the first enemy. Now I only need to repeat this for the other enemies, which may be easier said than done. Still, I think I have some hopes of making progress on this one. I think I am going to concentrate on this one or 1-2 (after maybe checking out 5-1 first).

On a run-through of 1-1 for souls I managed to find a thief ring and a crossbow, cleverly hidden, thanks to the hints from messages from other players. Hopefully, the thief ring will give me some help in 3-1. I am considering using the crossbow to kill the dragons in 1-1 (so I can get to the treasures they are guarding). I just hope it has a long enough reach. Is it possible to aim the crossbow freely? The other problem I have with that plan is that probably a hundred or more bolts are needed. At 30 souls apiece the cost for the project seems a bit steep.

Anyway, I am really enjoying the game and I hope I will get some time to play next week (the rest of this weekend I will need for schoolwork, unfortunately) so that I can make some more progress (or not).

Gravijah

Holy shit this game is brutal. I'm up to the
Dragon
... About to fight him now. Scared!

I rolled a knight. Hoping I don't regret it later.

Edit:
Make that Phalanx, not a dragon. Whoops!

Gravijah said:
Holy shit this game is brutal. I'm up to the
Dragon
... About to fight him now. Scared!

I rolled a knight. Hoping I don't regret it later.

Not a bad choice really. Knight was my first char and I just made sure he had a lot of stamina in the end. I hate not being able to roll swiftly.

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
I hope you all have nothing against reading about a noob's path to discovery.

So, I beat Phalanx today. It actually wasn't that hard at all. I guess I actually got better at the game through being forced to play through the level over and over again, thanks to me dying all the time. Beat him on my first try, although I had to use twenty something crescent moon grass and seven or eight fire bombs.

Without knowing what I was doing, I continued on afterwards into 1-2 which lead to me being killed by one of the dragons. I died in the Nexus shortly afterwards (due to a fucking evil player who left a message in a location which you can't get away from without falling to your death; still, I only have myself to blame for taking the bait so easily) which cost me circa 3000 souls. :(

After that, I went on to check some of the other levels out. A message from another player in front of the archstone leading to world 4 told me that would be the way to go for souls. However, after dying ten times at the hand of the first enemy, I decided to wait for a bit. Next up was me trying 2-1. I had no problems with the guys with the pickaxes or the dogs, but got my ass handed to me by the fat guys who shoot fire. I couldn't figure out a way to kill them so I gave up on this level for now. Finally, I tried 3-1. That place is really freaking me out with the screams from prisoners and the tinkling of the enemies' bells. After dying a lot of times, I finally found out a relatively reliable way to kill the first enemy. Now I only need to repeat this for the other enemies, which may be easier said than done. Still, I think I have some hopes of making progress on this one. I think I am going to concentrate on this one or 1-2 (after maybe checking out 5-1 first).

On a run-through of 1-1 for souls I managed to find a thief ring and a crossbow, cleverly hidden, thanks to the hints from messages from other players. Hopefully, the thief ring will give me some help in 3-1. I am considering using the crossbow to kill the dragons in 1-1 (so I can get to the treasures they are guarding). I just hope it has a long enough reach. Is it possible to aim the crossbow freely? The other problem I have with that plan is that probably a hundred or more bolts are needed. At 30 souls apiece the cost for the project seems a bit steep.

Anyway, I am really enjoying the game and I hope I will get some time to play next week (the rest of this weekend I will need for schoolwork, unfortunately) so that I can make some more progress (or not).

did you pick up cling ring in 1-1? it extends your life bar when you're in soul form.

and no, you can't kill the dragons in 1-1 :lol

Kccitystar

OK, so I snagged this baby with a few gift cards at BestBuy.

How the fuck do I kill this beast in the tutorial? Is it scripted for me to die to get to the Nexus?

Since I read that they were probably closing the MP next year, I decided to give this game a shot.

Ouch.

How much time does it take to complete? If you suck about normally? I am with a royal, no idea what the differences between classes truly are. The magic arrow seems a bit overpowered _right now_ (i am fully aware it will soon become utterly useless). I was able to kill those blue eyed skeletons with it from afar, while if i get close and try to play really well, i get my ass kicked .. I saw a red eyed skeleton and decided to stay away for now, following the instructions of a marking on the ground :D
Can you only level up once you finish an entire level and get back to nexus? Right now my only way to get back to nexus is to waste all my souls.
Also - is it really possible to kill NPCs? The first time i saw that merchant on 1-1 i thought he was a regular troll and hacked him. he yelled and didn't seem too too mad (still lets me talk to him and shop with him..). But i was surprised he reacted to my unintentional slash in the face..

A bit lost right now :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Kccitystar said:
shit, this game is Nintendo Hard out of the box

Though it is possible to kill him.

I am with a royal, no idea what the differences between classes truly are. The magic arrow seems a bit overpowered _right now_ (i am fully aware it will soon become utterly useless).

Royal is easily the easiest class, as well the most flexible. And no, soul arrow never becomes useless.

Canova

Banned
Kccitystar said:
OK, so I snagged this baby with a few gift cards at BestBuy.

How the fuck do I kill this beast in the tutorial? Is it scripted for me to die to get to the Nexus?

this is the only game where a monster can 1-2 hit kill you in tutorial.

But it's possible to kill the beast in the tutorial. As a reward you will be transported to a new area where there's tons of goodies that can give you a nice head start in the game and a cutscene where you got to see one of the archdemons full view

canova said:
did you pick up cling ring in 1-1? it extends your life bar when you're in soul form.

and no, you can't kill the dragons in 1-1 :lol

Yeah, I got the cling ring. Makes life a bit easier.

Shame about the dragons. I guess I will revert to my original plan of dying over and over again to the dragons until I get all the items. I'm a bit to greedy for my own good. :lol

Oh, I picked up a catalyst in 3-1 in yesterday's session. Does that mean I can use spells if I buy any? Probably not, since I am rolling a knight, but perhaps I can level his magic proficiency a bit further down the line to get access to some of the basic spells.

Shinjitsu

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:

Shame about the dragons. I guess I will revert to my original plan of dying over and over again to the dragons until I get all the items. I'm a bit to greedy for my own good. :lol

Oh, I picked up a catalyst in 3-1 in yesterday's session. Does that mean I can use spells if I buy any? Probably not, since I am rolling a knight, but perhaps I can level his magic proficiency a bit further down the line to get access to some of the basic spells.

Any class can do anything. Classes have the most impact on the start of the game, and it quickly becomes irrelevant depending on how you level.

Sword Familiar

hydrophilic attack said:

One way to aquire some of the items w/o dying is lurin the red dragon out to the bridge where all the soldiers are, then quickly running back and picking the items up. You should be able to at least get the Purple Flame Shield this way.

Same with 1-2. You can trick the red dragon into thinking you're gonna cross one bridge, then quickly run the other way and pick up the items.

Or you can just roll through the fire :lol

Sword Familiar said:
One way to aquire some of the items w/o dying is lurin the red dragon out to the bridge where all the soldiers are, then quickly running back and picking the items up. You should be able to at least get the Purple Flame Shield this way.

Same with 1-2. You can trick the red dragon into thinking you're gonna cross one bridge, then quickly run the other way and pick up the items.

Or you can just roll through the fire :lol

I'm gonna try luring the dragon away from the items.

Thanks for the tip!

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
I'm gonna try luring the dragon away from the items.

Thanks for the tip!

or you can just kill the red dragon in 1-2, if you have plenty of arrows. you get decent amount of souls and red dragon demon souls (which also can be exchanged for souls)

Sword Familiar

canova said:
or you can just kill the red dragon in 1-2, if you have plenty of arrows. you get decent amount of souls and red dragon demon souls (which also can be exchanged for souls)

At his level, I don't think that's good advice at all. The time investment + investment in arrows would not be worth it imo.

Sword Familiar

yursnhere said:
or you can just get pure white world tendency and then the dragons will be gone altogether from 1-1.

Much better.

There's a chance that's not doable at that point, but that's probably what most would do since you really only need to kill Phalanx to pull this off. With my method, you'll be able to pick the items up before facing Phalanx though.

Gritesh

Finished this game this morning.

I pretty much did everything I could do on my first play through, I rescued everyone, got all the armor sets that I know of, got quite a few of the special weapons.

God damn the final boss of the game was pissing me off, I went PURE melee build with the Great Dragon Sword and Tower Shield, worked so well throughout the game I had no issues with any of the bosses except for the last one.

Happy and content I finished this. I picked it up back when it released and only took down a handful of bosses before I got discouraged and quit.

Glad I completed what I regard as one of the best games of this generation.

Looking forward to what may be the sequel!

Really going to miss the multiplayer. I hope they add something like a final patch to make some of the dynamics work without the phantoms, or make it easier to change tendencies or something. I'm going to really be haunted by the lack of black phantoms (hur hur). I love getting invaded by some schmuck. I love co-op playing with friends through levels. Soul Level 61 and all I want to do is get to the end and into NG+.

Thanks for the advice about the dragons. But I got lucky and got the items just by rushing in. For some reason, I couldn't lure one of them to the bridge, so I had to do use the crude method of just rushing in there and hoping for the best. It worked much better than expected. I needed only two tries to get all the items. I even got out of there alive on the second try while managing to recover the souls I lost on the previous try. That was a much better result than I deserved. :D

After leveling strength enough to be able to wield the knight shield and the bastard sword with one hand, I tried 5-1. I think I that will be the next level I will beat. My character seemed pretty fairly matched with the enemies. Ironically, the scimitar seemed to be much more effective than the the bastard sword in this level. After lots of tries I got to a swarm of plague infected rats. I found a good move to dispatch of them after wasting three widow's lotus. I died shortly thereafter to a giant enemy, however, and had to call it a day. Before I try again, I will grind a bit to be able to afford some more crossbow bolts. I think these will make my life a bit easier on other parts of the level.

soldat7

We need a new thread title. The current one was terrible the day it was applied. I'm not clever enough to come up with one right now, but anything is better than 'Demon's Crack'...yuck!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
soldat7 said:
We need a new thread title. The current one was terrible the day it was applied. I'm not clever enough to come up with one right now, but anything is better than 'Demon's Crack'...yuck!

It's not that bad. It has Demon's and it's similar to Crack because both are addictive and fun to do.

soldat7

Snuggler said:
It's not that bad. It has Demon's and it's similar to Crack because both are addictive and fun to do.

There's two types of crack though...It's like saying "Halo Reach [OT] of No Master Chief Crack".

Only thing you'll miss really is the possibility of being invaded. Personally, the world feels even more desolate and barren playing offline.

soldat7

dreamer3kx said:
Is playing DS offline like playing it on "easy" or will something be missed?

I hated the invasion aspect of the game, so I would play offline in body form quite often. I didn't feel like I missed too much, although I preferred playing in spirit form and online more than anything.

You're definitely not playing it on 'easy' by playing it offline. You basically miss out on player messages, invasions, white phantoms running around, and the blue phantom co-op experiences. Playing offline is still very awesome.

Snuggler said:
You mean like buttcrack?

Exactly. Think demon in a thong.

I'm getting owned by the Tower Knight in 1-2. I take care of the archers. So I go after his feet, but his shield pretty much one shot me if it lands right on me. Any tips? Nvm, finally took him down.

soldat7 said:

Demon's Souls |OT2| of Soul Long, Free Time

roxya

zerokoolpsx said:
I'm getting owned by the Tower Knight in 1-2. I take care of the archers. So I go after his feet, but his shield pretty much one shot me if it lands right on me. Any tips? Nvm, finally took him down.

Even though you took him down, here is some advice that will serve you well throughout the game: don't be greedy.

Minamu

You can also go up to where the archers are and chip away at his health with arrows or magic if you wanna be cheap (the bosses feel cheap too sometimes so wth :) )

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Minamu said:
You can also go up to where the archers are and chip away at his health with arrows or magic if you wanna be cheap (the bosses feel cheap too sometimes so wth :) )

Let's not encourage shameful behavior. Unequip all weapons and armor and punch him in the ankles until he dies.

Minamu

Snuggler said:
Let's not encourage shameful behavior. Unequip all weapons and armor and punch him in the ankles until he dies.
Might just as well :) It's not like armor work against him when you first meet him anyway :S

Edit: I got my ass kicked in NHL09 last night so I'm gonna get my revenge by letting the dude try this game out later on :lol It's gonna be glorious.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
canova said:
I just started new character last night. This time my goal is to beat ng+ with SL1 character
Good luck bro, my record is lvl 12 :).

Also beaten the game naked (with weapons).

Top Bottom