• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yoshichan said:
Also beaten the game naked (with weapons).

In game or real life?

I should do something like that for a fresh twist on the game, but in the end I'm probably too much of a pussy. It's challenging enough as it is.

Canova

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Good luck bro, my record is lvl 12 :).

Also beaten the game naked (with weapons).

my lowest level to beat the game is SL14. It got too hard on ng+, then I abandoned it

now I'm determined to beat NG+ with SL1.

so far new game is easy, after I got crescent falchion, there's no stopping me, the challenge will be in NG+.

Yes Boss!

Jesus, I just started this game. This has gotta be the scariest piece of media I've ever encountered. Think I might have to turn on the lights.

oracrest

A few questions about world tendency...

How much of an impact does the "server average" have on your own games local tendency? I want to get a couple of worlds down to pure black by just using a bunch of stone of ephemeral eyes. I don't want to waste them though, if the server is going to be kicking my world tendencies back to neutral.

Also, once you hit pure black, are events and enemies unlocked forever because you reached it, or are they only there while the world is pure black?

It seems like if I am reading the wiki, and understanding it right, that going to pure black, and killing the event enemies then brings you closer to pure white. Is that how it generally works?

Finally, when in soul form, if I am helping out someone else's game, and we kill off a few black phantoms, does that impact my world tendency, or is it only when I kill them when I am in body form?

Minamu

Server average is in complete control, pretty much. Play offline when you go for world tendencies. Unless you like pain (you must since you bought the game :D).

Yeah, pure events are only active as long as you have the correct color. And good deeds bring you closer to the light regardless of circumstances, afaik. And the opposite of course.

Not sure about what happens when you're a blue phantom though. The wiki should be able to answer too I believe.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Finally, when in soul form, if I am helping out someone else's game, and we kill off a few black phantoms, does that impact my world tendency, or is it only when I kill them when I am in body form?

in this particular case,
- it will impact your character tendency (becoming white)
- it won't impact your world tendency,
- it will impact the world of the person you're helping, his world becoming white

oracrest

Cool, thanks for the tips. So it sounds like I should do it offline, get everything I can from the special events, since it will shoot back up to neutral when I get online.

I am also trying to figure out the best way to get my character tendency down to pure black, so I can unlock Mephistopheles. This will be hard because of how bad I am at PVP :/

MYE

Should i buy this?

I dont find punishing difficulty rewarding, at all. Same reason why i havent bought MH3 too, even though i like the vibe both games have.

hmmm :/

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
MYE said:
Should i buy this?

I dont find punishing difficulty rewarding, at all. Same reason why i havent bought MH3 too, even though i like the vibe both games have.

In both cases, the rewards are much, much greater than the punishment you'll receive from failing. None of the games will punish you unfairly though, it's all a matter of skill. In my experience, the learning curve of the MH games are steeper than DS, mostly because it takes a while getting used to the controls/camera. DS is pretty straightforward in this aspect, but is more difficult from the getgo.

oracrest

MYE said:
Should i buy this?

The "Brutal difficulty" of this game is waaaaay overhyped I think.

Of course, nobody in this thread is going to say to pass it up. It really is a serious contender for game of the generation. It's mine, for sure.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Cool, thanks for the tips. So it sounds like I should do it offline, get everything I can from the special events, since it will shoot back up to neutral when I get online.

I am also trying to figure out the best way to get my character tendency down to pure black, so I can unlock Mephistopheles. This will be hard because of how bad I am at PVP :/

getting pure black character is easy, just kill the blue guy in the nexus, and a couple useless vendors.

Getting pure white character is a bit harder, you have to kill a few black phantoms

oracrest

Black phantom Lord Rydell is hard :/

He one hit kills me, so I have to kill him without getting hit, but my attacks barely chip away at his health.

Good times.

oracrest

If I kill Black Phantom Rydell, does that mean he will be gone forever when the world tendency goes back towards white?

I got him down to about 20% health in one go. It is pretty hard, probably one of the tougher fights in the whole game up to this point, but still fun.

Other than that, I did the Mephistopheles quest, and got all the items associated with that. I made sure to get all the spells that aren't also used to make weapons before taking of the quest. Feels kinda bad committing a holocaust in the Nexus :D

oracrest said:
If I kill Black Phantom Rydell, does that mean he will be gone forever when the world tendency goes back towards white?

I got him down to about 20% health in one go. It is pretty hard, probably one of the tougher fights in the whole game up to this point, but still fun.

Other than that, I did the Mephistopheles quest, and got all the items associated with that. I made sure to get all the spells that aren't also used to make weapons before taking of the quest. Feels kinda bad committing a holocaust in the Nexus :D

A little trick with Rydell is to bring him into the staircases, frequently he can't complete a full swing of his pole weapon there because of the tight walls. I also recommend plaguing or posioning him right off the bat to decrease the amount of work you'll actually have to do directly.

Oh and yes, gone till new game +

LiK

the hardest Black Phantom NPC imo is Satsuki. i didn't bother taking him on until NG++ and he's damn hard. Gotta be fast and prevent him from healing.

MYE

oracrest said:

Of course, nobody in this thread is going to say to pass it up. It really is a serious contender for game of the generation. It's mine, for sure.

Well, i ordered it today so *crosses fingers*

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:

have you ever tried to kill the maiden in black?

oracrest

canova said:
have you ever tried to kill the maiden in black?

No, that seems ultimate game breaking :/

I did have her demon soul though, presumably from my first playthrough, she gives it to you at the end?

Risible

oracrest said:
No, that seems ultimate game breaking :/

I did have her demon soul though, presumably from my first playthrough, she gives it to you at the end?

Go ahead and do it - there are no consequences and it's funny :).

Risible said:
Go ahead and do it - there are no consequences and it's funny :).
Especially after beating all the worlds and the bottom of the nexus opening up, I pushed her down there and only way to get her back was load the game.

Prezhulio

Fucking fuck fuck fuck this game. After my initial embarrassment, and Even after faqing the hell out of this game and watching walkthroughs I always mess up at the most opportune moments. A great game, but a severly depresssing reflection on me as a gamer. :/

Zeliard

oracrest said:

oracrest said:

He one hit kills me, so I have to kill him without getting hit, but my attacks barely chip away at his health.

Good times.

lol

LiK

oracrest said:

Good times.

use a shield with high magic def and you can survive. also lure him to the hall and he has trouble doing his big swing move.

Canova

Banned
Prezhulio said:
Fucking fuck fuck fuck this game. After my initial embarrassment, and Even after faqing the hell out of this game and watching walkthroughs I always mess up at the most opportune moments. A great game, but a severly depresssing reflection on me as a gamer. :/

aw c'mon, it's only dying in a game ...over 100 times.

I've become a more patient person after playing this game over and over

Eliciel

The only part that was "soulsickingly" hard for my personal taste was the 2nd playthrough because I had played the game too fast without farming or anything on the first run (Hong Kong Version, early stage, not thaaat famous).

The 2nd run is the hardest of all, because you really weren't prepared. At the time I played the game there was esegk@justin.tv and nearly no information about this. I think you can only replicate that situation if you go blackout for wiki and just play the game without reading anything. Because as soon as you start to farm (4-2) or whatever it won't be as hard as it could possibly have been without intended farming.

For me personally, the hardest boss because I was playing a Soldier and no mage was the Phalanx and the Flame Lurker. And if I say hard I mean it took me like 8 hours to kill the flamelurker on 1st playthrough and like 5 days on the 2nd because I didn't know anything about tactics and stuff. For Phalanx I had to restart the whole game on the 1 playthrough because I had nothing left over of something really important (you know what I mean no spoiler). On the 2nd playthrough the slime army just mobbed me down several times.

All in all it is a hard game, but not in any case if you go for lvl 100+ on the first playthrough the 2nd is easier than the first.

Hopefully DS2 gets released soon^^

This game was the reason I picked up a PS3 last fall, but for some reason I put off playing it. I finally started last night, and holy balls is it awesome! I don't really have anything to add that wasn't already said in this thread, but I can't wait to get home and play more. I'm really happy that it has been such a huge success for From, they deserve it.

oracrest

Took Black Phantom Rydell down in my first try last night. :D The stairs did prove to be an effective strategy. More than him hitting the walls, it was good to have enough distance to back peddle to let my stamina recharge before laying into him again.

Now it's just the Maneater (Who I forgot has a snake tail! Pretty cool!) followed by a second helping of Maneater. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LiK said:
Maneater is overrated. Never died to them at all.
Nice work using the glitch.

LiK

Yoshichan said:
Nice work using the glitch.

glitch? you just run around the big torch thing and they have a hard time hitting you. thief ring makes him lose interest in you eventually and you go for a few quick stabs behind him. plus God's Wrath works well.

Eliciel

LiK said:
Maneater is overrated. Never died to them at all.

I had some problems on Maneater, although I didn't like the Archstone #3 at all (or let's say I liked 3 and 5 the least) I was on a higher level on my first try.

I think it's always a question of:

class
weapon
etc.

I was on a Soldier with Spear&Shield (yeah I am one of those "safe players") and I didn't do much dmg to him without the sticky white stuff or black turpentine... so it took me a while to finish him off. And I think the longer you need to kill one the easier there can be some 1-shot-kill(ish) things.

But overall Maneater would be the 4th hardest boss.

For me it's

Flame Lurker
Old Hero (Fighting Class, Without using arrows I didn't have any idea on putting on thief ring etc.)
Vanguard (semi-boss.....)
Maneater

always remember it's something complete different playing a game on media blackout and knowing exactly what to do... best example is Old Hero without using thief ring and unequip everything and bow him right to death.... not THAT easy.

LiK

^ i was lucky, i never got blown off the stage and my def was strong enough against their magic attacks when i took them on. i was also a spear user on my first playthrough so it took awhile but God's Wrath helped alot. i heard Firestorm was better but my guy had higher Faith and i got God's Wrath during my first playthru so i couldn't get that Magic spell.

as for Old Hero, yea, i died immediately cuz i was just shootin arrows like crazy and he charged me. i ended up taking my time with him afterwards. i really hated having to deal with the Reapers again after i died the first time :lol

Joei

Where do I get Pure Bladestones at? I read once the dual-black skeletons, but I don't know where they're at. I see a dual skeleton on the hidden passageway in 4-2, but I've killed him a bunch of times and only ever got Chunks as my best reward. Plus, he's there regardless of WT. If I have to venture more into 4-2 this is gonna suck cause that level is hard on Pure black :/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Joei said:
Where do I get Pure Bladestones at? I read once the dual-black skeletons, but I don't know where they're at. I see a dual skeleton on the hidden passageway in 4-2, but I've killed him a bunch of times and only ever got Chunks as my best reward. Plus, he's there regardless of WT. If I have to venture more into 4-2 this is gonna suck cause that level is hard on Pure black :/
Pure Bladestone is one of the (if not THE) most rare item in the game. Requires a lot of farming (or just a bunch of luck :lol First skeleton here!). Also, PB WT = Bigger chance of dropping it.

Joei

Yoshichan said:
Pure Bladestone is one of the (if not THE) most rare item in the game. Requires a lot of farming (or just a bunch of luck :lol First skeleton here!). Also, PB WT = Bigger chance of dropping it.

I don't mind the farming, I just want to know where it is I have to farm! I'm in PBWT in Shrine of Storms. Are there more PB skelies deeper in 4-2, or can I find them in 4-1? If they're in 4-2, like I said, this sucks. I'm having trouble making it down that long set of stairs after the first 2 gold skeletons. :/

LiK

i farmed in PBWT from that BP Skeleton for 6 hours one night and got ZERO. i've maxed out all the shards and chunks and still no Pure. fuckin' BS.

Yoshichan

4-2 the secret passage. But don't go down the stairs, just drop down the ledge immediately. You'll survive the fall, then make a quick left and go up the stairs. Hit the wall and kill him, use teleport home spell and repeat!

LiK

Yoshichan said:
4-2 the secret passage. But don't go down the stairs, just drop down the ledge immediately. You'll survive the fall, then make a quick left and go up the stairs. Hit the wall and kill him, use teleport home spell and repeat!

secret passage? i use the the route where i backtracked from Old Hero to get to the BP Skeleton near the cliffs.

oracrest

voady said:
always remember it's something complete different playing a game on media blackout

that is how I played my first time through. I didn't even attempt multiplayer on my first playthrough, because I thought it would permanently "use" the blue and black stones. I did figure out the 4-2 trick of leveling up without reading a wiki.

Canova

Banned
LiK said:
secret passage? i use the the route where i backtracked from Old Hero to get to the BP Skeleton near the cliffs.

There are two dual-katana skeletons that can drop pure bladestone. One is where you backtrack from old hero archstone, the other one is in the secret passage near the beginning level 4-2

LiK

canova said:
There are two dual-katana skeletons that can drop pure bladestone. One is where you backtrack from old hero archstone, the other one is in the secret passage near the beginning level 4-2

oh, i'll need to check this out.

Joei

canova said:

Oh sweet, thanks a lot! The one in the secret passage isn't pure black, but it's cool it can drop it. The one by backtracking from the archstone is pretty easy to get to, though he's gonna be tough to kill since he's PB. I hope his drop rate is higher :/

If I could kill him, that would be nice, lol. What's a good weapon for killing skeletons?

Canova

Banned
Joei said:
Oh sweet, thanks a lot! The one in the secret passage isn't pure black, but it's cool it can drop it. The one by backtracking from the archstone is pretty easy to get to, though he's gonna be tough to kill since he's PB. I hope his drop rate is higher :/

If I could kill him, that would be nice, lol. What's a good weapon for killing skeletons?

the black phantom dual katana skeleton is hard to kill with any weapon. he has very high resistance to everything, fire, magic, etc. It's not suggested to kill him with weapons, take too long.

Instead, use soulsucking magic on him, walk quietly behind him, then soulsuck. he's dead with one soulsuck

LiK

canova said:
the black phantom dual katana skeleton is hard to kill with any weapon. he has very high resistance to everything, fire, magic, etc. It's not suggested to kill him with weapons, take too long.

Instead, use soulsucking magic on him, walk quietly behind him, then soulsuck. he's dead with one soulsuck

yea, soulsuck is my method.

Top Bottom