• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

HK-47 said:
What the best class for someone looking to get this in the future? I'm watching an LP where someone started as a Temple Knight and I do think I wanna go melee.

Also what are the differences during NG+ other than enemies with more health and strength?
The easiest classes are ranged, especially magic classes, especially the Royal. There's no such thing as best, though - just pick one you think is suited to your playstyle. More than likely you'll end the game with a much more balanced character than you started with, because there's no obstacle to customizing your character however you like. (Barbarian is my favorite, personally, because in the beginning you get to run around shirtless clubbing people to death, but it might be difficult for a first playthrough.)

No other difference in NG+ as far as I can tell, but the enemies are scaled up enough to make it feel challenging again.

LiK

i started as a Royal but ended up being a mix of melee and ranged. my gal is pretty well balanced.

as for NG+, enemies are slightly harder and some have better defense against certain magic attacks. for example: fire magic and firebombs are excellent against Phalanx in NG, but in NG+, the firebombs do shit dmg against it so i just used my melee attacks instead. i was quite powerful already so that worked out for me.

Canova

Banned
This is my latest character,

SL 11
main weapon: Makoto+2
secondary weapon: Knight Sword
shield: Buckler+7
86d74359.jpg

panda21

i just got strong enough to use the knight's shield, i want to upgrade it to the dark version but its just showing +1 when i go to the 2-1 blacksmith. is that because i just dont have the items?

or do i need someone else to upgrade it? and if i start upgrading the regular path is that wasted if i later upgrade it to the dark knights shield?

Skilletor

Well, gaf, just picked this game up. I'm rolling with a magician my first play through. I was surprised at how...weighty everything felt. In a good way. Everything felt right. The controls are awesome, the atmosphere is amazing, the graphics are actually pretty decent.

Tips for a beginning mage?

I just got one-shotted by the vanquisher. I took a break after hearing about the nexus.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Skilletor said:

I just got one-shotted by the vanquisher. I took a break after hearing about the nexus.

Glad you like it.

If you're playing as a magician, be sure to track down the Fragrant Ring. You can do it fairly early in the game, the first set of bad guys in 4-1 are tough but killing them is a matter of getting the hang of their patterns rather than leveling up your dude. The ring is nice to have as a mage because it will allow your MP to slowly regenerate. It's not essential but it's helpful early in the game when you may not have a big stash of Spice (MP herb).

Canova

Banned
Skilletor said:
Well, gaf, just picked this game up. I'm rolling with a magician my first play through. I was surprised at how...weighty everything felt. In a good way. Everything felt right. The controls are awesome, the atmosphere is amazing, the graphics are actually pretty decent.

for mage, you want to find/build crescent weapons.

there's one in 4-1, cresecent falchion+1

canova said:
This is my latest character,

SL 11
main weapon: Makoto+2
secondary weapon: Knight Sword
shield: Buckler+7
86d74359.jpg

I feel retarded here, but what level is that?
I feel like it should be 4-3, but it looks too "sandy" or something.

Canova

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
I feel retarded here, but what level is that?
I feel like it should be 4-3, but it looks too "sandy" or something.

that's the beach before you meet the old one

So, I finally made some progress today. Beat 5-1. I felt a bit cheap doing it though. I am not exactly behaving like the melee character I am supposed to be playing. :lol Killed the giant enemies in the level by shooting them from afar with my crossbow. Did the same with the boss. On my second try I found a helpful message from another player saying "sniper's porch" (or something like that). I just stood there while slooowly killing the boss with my crossbow, while his attacks would miss. So, thanks unknown player for the hint! :D

I wonder, though, what the battle would have been like if I had used a less cheap method. Nevertheless, I am glad to finally be done with that level. I can't count have many times I fell to my death. I found it really annoying to not be able to maneuver freely without falling to my death. I hope there aren't too many other levels like that. I liked some parts of the level though. There were some cleverly hidden items and the enemies who would play dead and then attack you in your rear were a nice touch.

Used the souls I got after the battle to level my endurance and strength (Purple flame shield, here I go!). I am finding the equip burden limit a bit annoying. I guess I'll just have to level my endurance until it is not an issue. :lol The extra stamina and defense will be a nice bonus.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
hydrophilic attack said:
So, I finally made some progress today. Beat 5-1. I felt a bit cheap doing it though. I am not exactly behaving like the melee character I am supposed to be playing. :lol Killed the giant enemies in the level by shooting them from afar with my crossbow. Did the same with the boss. On my second try I found a helpful message from another player saying "sniper's porch" (or something like that). I just stood there while slooowly killing the boss with my crossbow, while his attacks would miss. So, thanks unknown player for the hint! :D

I wonder, though, what the battle would have been like if I had used a less cheap method. Nevertheless, I am glad to finally be done with that level. I can't count have many times I fell to my death. I found it really annoying to not be able to maneuver freely without falling to my death. I hope there aren't too many other levels like that. I liked some parts of the level though. There were some cleverly hidden items and the enemies who would play dead and then attack you in your rear were a nice touch.

Used the souls I got after the battle to level my endurance and strength (Purple flame shield, here I go!). I am finding the equip burden limit a bit annoying. I guess I'll just have to level my endurance until it is not an issue. :lol The extra stamina and defense will be a nice bonus.

There's a ring for that. Find it and wear it.

Just beat the game, first playthrough, summoned blue phantoms on some of the tougher bosses for me like flamelurker and man-eater, all melee here, never used one spell just a couple of miracle like evacute for farming puposes. This game is deinitly a game that stands alone, dont know how to explain it but its one of those games you will never just forget playing, its just diffrent from all others.

Evolved1

hydrophilic attack said:
I think I have that ring. But that means I'll have to de-equip the thief ring. Decisions, decisions...

Thief ring is pointless...

Canova

Banned
recklessmind said:

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY

Thief ring is one of the most useful rings in the gam

- you need thief ring to survive world 4. the skeletons will mass-violate you in no time. the flying mantas won't leave you alone without thief ring. try to beat old hero without thief ring

- you need thief ring to beat world 3. without backstabbing, the squid head is deadly enemy, especially the black phantom ones

- you need thief ring to beat world 5. especially in the swamp, with giants ogre

Evolved1

dreamer3kx said:
I used the thiefs ring a ton but I was melee only, it was very helpful at certain locations.

My character is also melee only... I guess I used it in the beginning to hide from shit like those cthulhu fuckers... but I soon realized you can hide from /sneak up on things well enough without the ring.

And at the end of the day... I'd rather have the increased mobility during encounters over a marginal stealth buff. Especially for melee characters.

canova said:
DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY

Thief ring is one of the most useful rings in the gam

- you need thief ring to survive world 4. the skeletons will mass-violate you in no time. the flying mantas won't leave you alone without thief ring. try to beat old hero without thief ring

- you need thief ring to beat world 3. without backstabbing, the squid head is deadly enemy, especially the black phantom ones

- you need thief ring to beat world 5. especially in the swamp, with giants ogre

I've only encountered one spot where the flying mantas are very annoying...

Everything else I did without the ring.

panda21

recklessmind said:

i found it very useful in a specific level, saves having to keep casting cloak and you can lock on and one hit magic certain very dangerous dudes before they see you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The only downside to the thieves ring is that it's easy to abuse to make the game easier, but I think it's the single most useful item in the game. It makes so many encounters easier, especially later when you're facing groups of tough baddies since it helps a lot with luring them and divide/conquer tactics.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
recklessmind said:
My character is also melee only... I guess I used it in the beginning to hide from shit like those cthulhu fuckers... but I soon realized you can hide from /sneak up on things well enough without the ring.

And at the end of the day... I'd rather have the increased mobility during encounters over a marginal stealth buff. Especially for melee characters.

From what I've seen, the reduced aggro on enemies is anything but marginal.

Evolved1

The challenge of combat is what makes the game fun... you guys sound like a bunch of pansies. :lol

Well, I am playing this game like a coward. I need to separate the enemies to fight only one or two at a time. Otherwise I'm toast. So I think I will keep using the thief ring. I've found it quite useful myself.

In other news, 5-2 really sucks. I'm not returning there until I have some equipment to protect myself from poison or, if such equipment does not exist, until I have leveled my poison resistance a lot. I think I will do 1-2 next.

soldat7

recklessmind said:
recklessmind said:
The challenge of combat is what makes the game fun... you guys sound like a bunch of pansies. :lol

There is no right or wrong way to play this game, and there is not just a single element that makes the game fun.

panda21

its weird seeing people talking about doing 5-1 and 4-1 right at the start. the guards in 3-1 scared me shitless at first and the skeletons on 4-1 still own me pretty hard. i wouldnt ever have thought of trying to complete those near the start.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
soldat7 said:
There is no right or wrong way to play this game, and there is not just a single element that makes the game fun.

The only style of play that I frown upon is abusing glitches like killing Man Lurkers or False King through the fog and shit like that. You don't deserve the satisfaction of beating the game when you do it by cheating.

Canova

Banned
recklessmind said:

let's settle this in a manly geeky way

care to duel? what's your region, and level? :D

I have level 1, 11, 150, 230 in NA region

I have level 90, 120 in EU region

take your pick

panda21 said:
its weird seeing people talking about doing 5-1 and 4-1 right at the start. the guards in 3-1 scared me shitless at first and the skeletons on 4-1 still own me pretty hard. i wouldnt ever have thought of trying to complete those near the start.

A gaffer recommend this to me and it felt great, of course you can go through the game in any manner you wish but I enjoyed this.

1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 2-2, 2-3, 4-2, 4-3, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2, 5-3, 1-3, 1-4.

panda21

dreamer3kx said:
A gaffer recommend this to me and it felt great, of course you can go through the game in any manner you wish but I enjoyed this.

1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 2-2, 2-3, 4-2, 4-3, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2, 5-3, 1-3, 1-4.

that sounds good, i think trying to stick to them in almost order would get a bit boring.

noob question: do AI black phantoms take away from your souls/soul level or something? i'm sure i remember reading somewhere that you could actually get de-levelled by some of the enemies or something where they would take away the stats you had bought from the 'so the world may be mended' woman?

i read in the wiki there is one just before the 3-1 boss so now i'm scared to go there!

panda21 said:

Yeah, the enemies in 3-1 and 4-1 scare me too. But 5-1 actually isn't too bad when it comes to the enemies, except for the giants. But maybe you meant to say 3-1 and 4-1 in your first sentence and not 5-1.

canova said:

care to duel? what's your region, and level?

I have level 1, 11, 150, 230 in NA region

I have level 90, 120 in EU region

take your pick

Wow, things are getting interesting in here! :) Be sure to report report back on the results. Unless he is too much of a pansy of course.
Just kidding. No offense intended. :)

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
Yeah, the enemies in 3-1 and 4-1 scare me too. But 5-1 actually isn't too bad when it comes to the enemies, except for the giants. But maybe you meant to say 3-1 and 4-1 in your first sentence and not 5-1.

Wow, things are getting interesting in here! :) Be sure to report report back on the results. Unless he is too much of a pansy of course.
Just kidding. No offense intended. :)

if he accepts, it'd be a friendly match. I never meant to be a hostile challenge

panda21

hydrophilic attack said:

i havent even been to 5-1 yet - i just assumed i would get completely owned because i thought the enemies were harder in the later worlds.

Evolved1

canova said:

care to duel?

You would smoke me... I lose probably 75% of my pvp encounters.

I don't think pvp is really representative of the type of challenge you face in the game though. Most people who invade, from my experience, seem to have much better equip/spells than I have... sometimes I kill them, sometimes it's close, but most of the time I lose.

That's kind of what I was getting at earlier about the wiki... I don't want to read it, and I don't really look at it that much. But when you are constantly facing people who've clearly dedicated a significant portion of their lives to playing Demon's Souls, and know all the tricks (like how to obtain epic shit at the earliest possible lvl) it becomes something you cannot ignore. There's incentive to even the playing field, and that's hard to do without also spending the same time learning the game, or studying the wiki.

What I was saying before was kind of tongue in cheek, but I can see how it might have come across a bit douchey... thief ring isn't "pointless" (that was a poor choice of words) but I don't think it's as important as higher equipment burden. The increased agility is more suited to my straight-ahead-tanking-melee play style.

Joei

After hours and hours and hours... and hours of farming, I finally have my Sharp Uchigatana+5! :)

recklessmind said:
You would smoke me... I lose probably 75% of my pvp encounters.

I don't think pvp is really representative of the type of challenge you face in the game though. Most people who invade, from my experience, seem to have much better equip/spells than I have... sometimes I kill them, sometimes it's close, but most of the time I lose.

That's kind of what I was getting at earlier about the wiki... I don't want to read it, and I don't really look at it that much. But when you are constantly facing people who've clearly dedicated a significant portion of their lives to playing Demon's Souls, and know all the tricks (like how to obtain epic shit at the earliest possible lvl) it becomes something you cannot ignore. There's incentive to even the playing field, and that's hard to do without also spending the same time learning the game, or studying the wiki.

What I was saying before was kind of tongue in cheek, but I can see how it might have come across a bit douchey... thief ring isn't "pointless" (that was a poor choice of words) but I don't think it's as important as higher equipment burden. The increased agility is more suited to my straight-ahead-tanking-melee play style.

I can sympathize with that. I feel it's more fun playing using only what you can find yourself, rather than looking up how to get all the über weapons on the Internet by manipulating world tendency and so on (although some advice from fellow gaffers is always welcome, naturally ;)).

And I don't think you came across as douchey at all. It all seemed to be in good fun, pointless message board bickering style. And as a new player I appreciate all sorts of different perspectives on the game from more experienced players. :)

Pansy!

Joei

oracrest said:
for crushing weapons, does the actual damage attribute reflect the bonus gained from strength?

Yes, the damage number you see next to the weapon number is with all the stat bonuses that weapon gets. When you look at a weapon, it'll have the Physical Attack number and a number next to it with a + sign. For example, my Sharp Uchigatana +5 has a Physical Attack of 143 +207 with a total attack of 350. That +207 is from the DEX I have and a very small portion is from the STR I have (since it gets bonuses from both, although only an E from STR). The better the stat bonus that weapon gets, the more often you'll see an increase in attack when you upgrade that particular stat. For example, Sharp +5 weapons and Sticky Bows have an S for Dex, so almost everytime you increase DEX, your attack power with that weapon goes up and is immediately reflected on your stat screen. Lower bonus ranks take more upgrades to give you a bonus in that particular stat. Not to mention, there's even a difference in some S rankings. With the two examples I provided, if I increase DEX another level (currently at 66) my Sticky Compound Long Bow +5 will increase in attack power, but my Sharp Uchi. +5 won't.

Another thing to consider is that the Dragon weapons don't have any stat bonuses, but their bonus from fire damage usually gives them a significant increase in damage and stuns a lot of enemies. Dragon Long Sword +5 was my weapon of choice for the longest time.

Skilletor

Demon's Souls does not give a fuck about you.

Here is what Demon's Souls told me:

You want information? Read a book.

Fuck your information. You should know what Royalty, Knight, Magicians and shit are. If you don't, fuck you. Hurry and choose one so you can die.

Okay, so you chose a mage. You got this sweet spell called Water Veil? You want to know what it does? Fuck you, go read a book. Don't do it while you're playing, though, you'll die faster. Pay attention, you might learn something.

You want to know what those bars are? Don't worry about it. I'm assuming you've played games before. Empty means bad.

You want to know what those ghost looking things running around you are? They're vengeful spirits and one day, like that skeleton up there, they'll rise up and kill you leaving nothing but a crimson bloodstain and a memory.

You see that message there, yeah that one, the one that said, "This is where the real Demon's Souls starts"? Yeah, that's like me telling Michael Bay telling Will Smith to tell you that shits about to get real. I know you died 17 times getting here. Yeah, it got a bit easier, that's because you sucked a bit less. I'm about to let you know exactly how bad you suck.

You like that, don't you?

You see that corridor? Yeah, ignore that message saying "beginners should wait." Didn't we just say you sucked less. You've died 22 times already, right? Yeah, go down that hall. Fight that knight. Die again. You'll come back. I know you will. I've got my hooks in you. You'll die and you love it, because that's the way I like it.

I love this game.

Canova

Banned
Skilletor said:
Demon's Souls does not give a fuck about you.

Here is what Demon's Souls told me:

You want information? Read a book.

Fuck your information. You should know what Royalty, Knight, Magicians and shit are. If you don't, fuck you. Hurry and choose one so you can die.

Okay, so you chose a mage. You got this sweet spell called Water Veil? You want to know what it does? Fuck you, go read a book. Don't do it while you're playing, though, you'll die faster. Pay attention, you might learn something.

You want to know what those bars are? Don't worry about it. I'm assuming you've played games before. Empty means bad.

You want to know what those ghost looking things running around you are? They're vengeful spirits and one day, like that skeleton up there, they'll rise up and kill you leaving nothing but a crimson bloodstain and a memory.

You see that message there, yeah that one, the one that said, "This is where the real Demon's Souls starts"? Yeah, that's like me telling Michael Bay telling Will Smith to tell you that shits about to get real. I know you died 17 times getting here. Yeah, it got a bit easier, that's because you sucked a bit less. I'm about to let you know exactly how bad you suck.

You like that, don't you?

You see that corridor? Yeah, ignore that message saying "beginners should wait." Didn't we just say you sucked less. You've died 22 times already, right? Yeah, go down that hall. Fight that knight. Die again. You'll come back. I know you will. I've got my hooks in you. You'll die and you love it, because that's the way I like it.

I love this game.

This guy approves this message

86d74359.jpg

Deadstar

Is it possible to complete the game using only magic? I was going to try to create a full on sorcerer but it seems like it could be difficult. On my first play through and NG+ I used a knight with a halberd and some miracles but no spells at all.

LiK

recklessmind said:

hell no, one of the most useful rings in the game. omg...

Deadstar said:
Is it possible to complete the game using only magic? I was going to try to create a full on sorcerer but it seems like it could be difficult. On my first play through and NG+ I used a knight with a halberd and some miracles but no spells at all.

yep, if you focus mainly on upgrading Intelligence and Magic, you can be a very power magic user.

Deadstar

Yeah...thief ring saved me many many times. Using magic sounds awesome. I can't wait to check it out. I really only used the second chance and teleport miracles rather than any of the offensive ones so I'm looking forward to doing some damage with spells. What is a recommended weapon for a mage? Catalyst maybe?

LiK

Deadstar said:
Yeah...thief ring saved me many many times. Using magic sounds awesome. I can't wait to check it out. I really only used the second chance and teleport miracles rather than any of the offensive ones so I'm looking forward to doing some damage with spells. What is a recommended weapon for a mage? Catalyst maybe?

yea, my gal is pretty week with magic cuz i went with faith instead. but i found that magic is pretty powerful even when i didn't upgrade it much. if i ever start a new character, i'll do a pure magic user.

Allright! Tower Knight is down. I really liked the level. Short and sweet. If you die, you don't have to replay too much. Also, the enemies in world one will actually drop some items from time to time. Fancy that! I have leveled my luck a bit though, so hopefully I will get more lucky with the enemy drops. Dueling against the blue eyed knights (and the red eyed knight in 1-1 who went down today without too much hassle; go me! :D ) is really fun as long as I only have to deal with one at a time. So far, world one is definitely my favorite world.

I had to cheese it with the boss again. Stood in a relatively safe place and slowly chipped down his health with arrows (I regarded the many enemy archers as a not so subtle clue). On my first try, I tried going melee on him, but it took to long to kill him that way compared to how quickly he would kill me. (My attacks would only deal 15 to 20 of damage.) I managed to stay alive for fifteen minutes and still didn't deplete more than a fifth of his HP. During those fifteen minutes I consumed 20 something half moon grass. A bit sad I couldn't kill him without arrows. The one time I tried, the battle really reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus. Me going at it at his bleeding feet while trying desperately to dodge his lurching attacks, accompanied by ecstatic choral music. Shit was epic.

Next stage will probably be 2-1 or 3-1. I have leveled a bit since my last tries (I am probably a bit overlevelled) and have gotten some flame protect equipment to protect myself from the fire bolt casting enemies in 2-1. I hope I get some poison protect equipment soon so I can get 5-2 over with. I really hate that repulsive world. It is literally (yes literally) just a pile of dirt, with truly repulsive enemies.

While on the subject of 5-2, do I lose souls if I lose to the black phantom in the swamp? If I kill him, will he be gone forever or will he respawn like the ordinary enemies?

LiK

Yes Boss! said:
Beat the first boss yesterday! Took me about five hours as was learning how the game worked. Game is really cool!

you're a DS virgin? i shall teach you the way Boss ;)

oracrest

Congrats on beating Tower Knight.

I can't tell if he was one of the harder bosses in the whole game, or if defeating him gave me enough of a handle on the combat to beat most of the rest with greater ease.

Either way, his fight was a stand out pain in my ass.

LiK

Tower Knight is one of the easier boss fights, imo. i can't wait to hear you guys tell us your experience with the later bosses! :D

Top Bottom