• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 officially announced (with a logo only) [Up: Cayde-6 Toy Pre-Order Bonus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive played more than 1500hrs on PS4 & encountered probably 3 times of slowdown. And Ive had people stunned when I tell them its only 30fps just my opinion

So the framerate/frame pacing is consistent. I agree that's very very important. Calling that buttery smooth kind of just speaks of lack of experience imo. If there are genuinely people surprised that it's only 30fps than I'd venture to wager they've had very little exposure to higher framerates. That's generally my experience with friends who play exclusively on console. Ignorance is bliss so on and so forth.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I just think announcing the game with just an image is a bad way to do it.

I think the response has shown that's not true. 1200+ post thread on GAF, trending on Twitter and Facebook, a lot of fan speculation just over the artwork alone.

This is good marketing. Give people something small, let them discuss it and want more, then give them more information in a day or so.

Zarth

Destiny is such a smooth running game everything considered.

I've only seen a couple of spots where theres regular slowdowns. And when I say slowdown I mean some of the time it'll drop a couple of frames.

Boost Mode has solved these spots too.

Sure it is 30 FPS but it is a buttery smooth 30 FPS.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
So the framerate/frame pacing is consistent. I agree that's very very important. Calling that buttery smooth kind of just speaks of lack of experience imo. If there are genuinely people surprised that it's only 30fps than I'd venture to wager they've had very little exposure to higher framerates. That's generally my experience with friends who play exclusively on console. Ignorance is bliss so on and so forth.
We've all played racing pc games & cod for yrs so plenty of experience with high frames 😉

Gxgear

Am approaching this one with caution; got my money's worth out of Destiny 1, but boy was it ever not a compelling experience.

Trickster

Yeah why would ANYONE do such a thing?

One is a sequel to a critically acclaimed and almost universally loved game, that people had been hoping for a sequel to for years, but didn't know if it was ever coming.

The other is the sequel to a critically slammed game, that many people hated and represented a developers fall from grace, and everyone knew was in development.

Look, Destiny 2 is obviously gonna be a hit no matter what, Destiny 1 proof of that. But I imagine that Bungie wants to try and win back the people that were dissapointed with Destiny 1 and also show that they can still make world class games. I don't think announcing the game with zero information is the way to do that.

I think the response has shown that's not true. 1200+ post thread on GAF, trending on Twitter and Facebook, a lot of fan speculation just over the artwork alone.

This is good marketing. Give people something small, let them discuss it and want more, then give them more information in a day or so.

I think it's a great way to get the fans of Destiny 1 excited. But beyond that I don't really think many will be excited, I could be wrong of course.

But as someone who bought Destiny 1 and TTK. I really need to see something that tells me that Destiny 2 is bungie's return to form before I get even a little bit excited

ZeoVGM

Banned
One is a sequel to a critically acclaimed and almost universally loved game, that people had been hoping for a sequel to for years, but didn't know if it was ever coming.

The other is the sequel to a critically slammed game, that many people hated and represented a developers fall from grace, and everyone knew was in development.

Look, Destiny 2 is obviously gonna be a hit no matter what, Destiny 1 proof of that. But I imagine that Bungie wants to try and win back the people that were dissapointed with Destiny 1 and also show that they can still make world class games. I don't think announcing the game with zero information is the way to do that.

They aren't trying to win over new people with this single image and you are very much overstating that "many people hated" it. It's incredibly popular. The "hate" was a vocal minority.

No reason to make such a big deal over a simple tease.

Perineum

I am beyond hyped.

800 hours logged, and ready for 800 more. Destiny has been great from alpha to now, and is a fun game to come back to when new content drops. Bungie has secret sauce on the levels of Blizzard for a fun crack addicting gameplay loop.

There is PLENTY to improve on, and I think they are up to the challenge to deliver another cocaine fueled fun game even if they miss the mark on some parts.

Personal wishes:

Ranked modes
Seasons to go with Ranked for PvP
Dedicated servers
Raid matchmaking
60FPS

If they deliver on just the above, and changed like nothing else but with new content I will have a 10/10 experience. Anything more on top of this will blow me away.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If Destiny takes a single thing from any other shooter, I would love them to blatantly rip off Overwatch's play of the game. (I know, I'm sure they weren't the first to do it either, I just don't know off the top of my head.)

molnizzle

Only if they get rid of the incremental Light Level upgrade system. I hated grinding just to get blues with 1 or 2 higher Light Level in each slot.

It's a great way to gate endgame content though. Especiallly if there's gonna be matchmaking.

Bold One

I think it's a great way to get the fans of Destiny 1 excited. But beyond that I don't really think many will be excited, I could be wrong of course.

Yup, that twitter image is all they are going to show before the game releases.

You and many others are bending a bit too hard to justify the ire some have for this game.

Two Words

Elemental damage needs to be expanded as well and should have unique effects. Solar sometimes causes damage over time. Void can sometimes silence enemies with abilities. Arc sometimes causes enemy weapons to temporarily malfunction. The SimonSays color matching with element damage makes elements nothing more than a matching game.

jediyoshi

What part of 30 FPS is butter smooth?

I take it your personal definition of "butter smooth" doesn't include frame times. If you purely care about only FPS, in no world is a game constantly fluctuating between 40-50fps more "smooth" than a locked 30fps. It's the reason why people want Square to patch a 30fps mode in FFXV despite the framerate never actually dipping to 30.

Foxxsoxx

Curious how they'll take advantage of the PS4 Pro.

Resolution and slightly better graphics is likely all it'll get. The Pro userbase just isn't that large to justify much else.

I really would hope Destiny could do 60fps and I would be completely fine if they did like Halo 5 and had a less pretty game to make up for it.

Gameplay over graphics any day of the week, I'd go crazy over 60fps raids and PVP.

Two Words

I take it your personal definition of "butter smooth" doesn't include frame times. If you purely care about only FPS, in no world is a game constantly fluctuating between 40-50fps more "smooth" than a locked 30fps. It's the reason why people want Square to patch a 30fps mode in FFXV despite the framerate never actually dipping to 30.

I don't think 40-40 FPS is "butter smooth" either.

DrBo42

Elemental damage needs to be expanded as well and should have unique effects. Solar sometimes causes damage over time. Void can sometimes silence enemies with abilities. Arc sometimes causes enemy weapons to temporarily malfunction. The SimonSays color matching with element damage makes elements nothing more than a matching game.
I agree that element matching means very little but balancing changes you're proposing would be a considerable effort. I do hope they make it more interesting though.

Two Words

I agree that element matching means very little but balancing changes you're proposing would be a considerable effort.

This is the part of a loot game that Destiny needs to buy into more. Stop worrying about balance and making characters too OP, and just introduce harder and harder challenges for ever-improving characters to take on.

DrBo42

This is the part of a loot game that Destiny needs to buy into more. Stop worrying about balance and making characters too OP, and just introduce harder and harder challenges for ever-improving characters to take on.
Well sure if it was purely a PvE game they could go all out. PvP would be a mess or if you then decide you need to just normalize PvP you don't feel like a special class or character anymore. It's a pretty delicate balance.

Zocano

The constant tying and parity between pvp and pve, as one person has already said, is one of Destiny's greatest hamstrings and will be Bungie's most profoundly idiotic mistake to make going into a sequel.

Two Words

Well sure if it was purely a PvE game they could go all out. PvP would be a mess or if you then decide you need to just normalize PvP you don't feel like a special class or character anymore. It's a pretty delicate balance.

Sure, normalize it in PvP. Let PvP and PvE be different experiences. What benefit does PvP get by making PvE locked down to its ruleset?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Just caught this, and man, Bungie continue to mishandle everything Destiny - even the announcement suffers a poor amount of content and recycled assets!

:p

DrBo42

Sure, normalize it in PvP. Let PvP and PvE be different experiences. What benefit does PvP get by making PvE locked down to its ruleset?
No, I agree with your core point don't get me wrong. Just saying there's more to consider and it's not a simple choice coming from an established game with a dedicated competitive player base.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Because Jason said it's coming to PC? Is that a solid confirmation? He was already wrong about one thing :p

What was he wrong about? I hope you're not referring to him saying the game would be "announced today" only to quickly correct himself and have the game be announced like 3 days later.

It's coming to PC.

Can't wait, by far my most played game ever. This game just fits my lifestyle perfectly. I bowed out after hitting level 20 in the first game, returned after HoW and loved it.

What was he wrong about? I hope you're not referring to him saying the game would be "announced today" only to quickly correct himself and have the game be announced like 3 days later.

It's coming to PC.

Yes, but I meant that semi-jokingly :p

I just don't think his word that it's coming to PC means it's set in stone. I guess I won't believe that until I see the official announcement.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Can't wait, by far my most played game ever. This game just fits my lifestyle perfectly. I bowed out after hitting level 20 in the first game, returned after HoW and loved it.

That was kind of me. I played it a couple times after launch but quickly fell away from it.

Picked it up again right before HoW and when that dropped, I was hooked. They made great changes to the game and with the summer update that added kiosks and Taken King, I was playing all the time.

I was so hyped for this game before it was released and it lived up to my expectations. I put in 800+ hours and don't regret many of them.

I really wish they would have raid matchmaking options and if they do this is going to be my game for this gen.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Makes me want to not pre-order out of spite. Can't stand that snarky asshole.

giphy.gif

Toli08

People need to accept and understand that Destiny isn't a single player game and it will never be that. Also people have to realize that this game speaks to casual gamers. A group of four to five that grab one shooter a year and that's what they play love this type of game. Those people don't care what the name of the game is. Those people don't care about the hardcore nitpicking like 60fps and other stuff we might care about.

All they care about is give them Destiny 2 with addictive gameplay that can last for hours. This game is going to be huge. This is going to steal a good chunk of the shooter market. I will be shocked if Destiny 2 isn't the best selling game of the year. Destiny is the ultimate Co-op game.

If you are considering getting Destiny 2 and only want to play by yourself and treat it like a regular single player game. Don't waste your hard earned money because this won't be for you. You need to be open to play with others and when you do you will experience one of the best moments in gaming.

Beating a raid on hard mode with 5 buddies is the best gaming experience. You go from laughing to yelling to cheering to pure euphoria when you beat it the first time. There is just nothing like it. The closest thing to it is beating that boss in a souls game that you have attempted fifty plus times and you finally do it.

Whompa02

Hopefully they create a living breathing social world this time, instead of the first game that I returned in a week last time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom