• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 officially announced (with a logo only) [Up: Cayde-6 Toy Pre-Order Bonus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

People will buy it in droves and love it.

Destiny's issues were not with the gameplay.

I'd say a lot of it was. The raids were nice, but I always felt that they were limited by the gameplay. There is very little class synergy. Basically, the gameplay is extremely thin on the RPG side of things. That is where the game has the most room to grow. Far too much of the focus is on the weapons, and it limits the strategies that can be employed. A lot of it has to do with keeping parity between PvE and PvP.

Jtrizzy

If they make this 60 fps on Scorpio, I might buy one just to support the 60 fps movement. Otherwise I'll just get the pc version.

Compsiox

Banned
I think Destiny 1 being subpar in a lot of ways may have been for the better.

I feel like they're trying really hard to do it right this time.

60fps in PvE and a decent amount of content in the base game and I will pick it up day one.

Destiny at launch was an empty shell of a game and there wasn't much of anything there.
I had no desire to go back and try any DLC after that.

Two Words

The pillars are bascically perfect. Give me more guns, more armor and more raids and I'm there. No reason to break something that works.

This should be put on a poster. Content was shit, but no one complained about the gameplay. It is still sogood.gif

So you guys were happy to have four raids where nearly every boss turns into "do thing that keeps everybody from instantly wiping. Go into designated safe area. Do as much damage as possible in short phases"?

I don't have a problem with that being a mechanic with some of the raid bosses. But Destiny's raids has a serious diversity problem. There should be more roles that a player can have. I personally don't get why so many feel like Destiny has reached some gameplay ceiling.

Zocano

I don't know if you fall into this, but I often hear a lot of people on GAF and Destiny that really push back against Destiny incorporating many ideas from Warframe. I think Destiny should totally steal some ideas outright. The Stalker is a great game-changer in Warframe. Something like that would be great in Destiny. I prefer Warframe's approach of making the abilities far more powerful as well. Why not have randomized Cabal/Fallen/Hive ships in space that you board for unique runs at harder and harder difficulties. Destiny should have some of the wave-based missions like the Tower missions in Warframe. I feel like there is a lot to learn from Warframe, but there is a lot to not do that Warframe does though.

I think there are sour reactions to warframe because of the heavy micro transaction leanings of a lot of its game systems, namely a lot of time gating rewards and forcing you to wait for things to "build" or expedite by dropping money. And a lot of early warframe missions are the most cookie cutter levels ever and pretty god damn egregious.

Destiny has similar problems which is why the comparisons pop up so often.

They actually have implemented similar mission designs over the past 2 years and are getting better about gameplay diversity so I look forward to what they provide in D2. But they implemented those in Destiny in the most clunky ass Destiny way they could.

SRTtoZ

Shinobi already confirmed better graphics and massive playable environments including towns. And Destiny is already a rather good looking game. They aren't going to do all that and include 60fps. Maybe at best PVP will be 60

I'm still impressed to this day with the look of the environments and armor/gun models, especially when you view them in your inventory. It's going to look unbelievable IMO.

How are people here going to feel if the key pillars of Destiny's gameplay are intact? By that I mean:

Super with a charging bar
Melee with a cooldown
Grenade with a cooldown
Primary, Secondary, Heavy and the same armor options.
No extra abilities and no extra Ghost ineractions.
Classes are largely the same in options and abilities. Though they may be different, they don't change veer much different than how TTK added new subclasses.

I just feel like this isn't going to cut it for Destiny 2.

I believe most of the player base will not have a problem with this at all.

Trace

Banned
So you guys were happy to have four raids where nearly every boss turns into "do thing that keeps everybody from instantly wiping. Go into designated safe area. Do as much damage as possible in short phases"?

I don't have a problem with that being a mechanic with some of the raid bosses. But Destiny's raids has a serious diversity problem. There should be more roles that a player can have. I personally don't get why so many feel like Destiny has reached some gameplay ceiling.

Yes I think that Vault of Glass is the best gameplay experience I've had on console. But really are you comparing the final boss encounters as the entire raid or something? Do you think the abyss from CE, templar from VoG and siege engine from WotM play the same?

I love the gameplay. I wouldn't mind seeing the expansion of the differences between classes. That would be a nice tweak to gameplay that wouldn't totally change the feel of the game.

Two Words

Yes I think that Vault of Glass is the best gameplay experience I've had on console. But really are you comparing the final boss encounters as the entire raid or something? Do you think the abyss from CE, templar from VoG and siege engine from WotM play the same?
I'd say the Templar fits exactly into the mold that I'm talking about. And I'm saying the diversity is lacking when it comes to the bosses. I liked the Abyss since it was different, same with the seige engine. But the gimmick of learning how to avoid the boss wipe, get into weapons of light and shoot at the boss during tight damage phases gets old when it is how bosses always work. Here is an example. Do you think that there would have been a lot of great potential for a Kingsfall raid boss that was 6 Taken Guardians? Each guardian would be a different subclass and kitted with different weapons and each had their own unique piece of armor and weapon that they drop. It could be a 6 v 6 fight which was completely different from the typical raid boss blueprint. Do you not see value in exploring raid bosses like that which deviate from the typical blueprint?

nOoblet16

I'd say a lot of it was. The raids were nice, but I always felt that they were limited by the gameplay. There is very little class synergy. Basically, the gameplay is extremely thin on the RPG side of things. That is where the game has the most room to grow. Far too much of the focus is on the weapons, and it limits the strategies that can be employed. A lot of it has to do with keeping parity between PvE and PvP.

This is just not true, I'll give you an example of the DPS phase alone from Golgoroth fight which lasts 20-25 seconds. This is what can happen in those 20-25 seconds

- Bubblebro builds bubble to protect the team, blind the adds and provide damage/defense buff
- Stormcaller/Hammerbro clears out the adds
- Nightstalker tethers the boss, when it runs out another hunter can tether.
- Gunslinger uses Nighthawk to do mass damage

And this is just one combination of 2 Titans, 1 warlock and 3 hunters...you obviously can't do the same if you have different combination.

What is this if not class synergy?

gatti-man

Wait, you are telling him to get out because he didn't like Destiny and is stating how terrible he thought it was????

Nope. Read his post again. Characterizing all destiny players as loot (rng) addicts or DLC fools isn't acceptable. The game is solid in its own right.

This is just not true, I'll give you an example of the DPS phase alone from Golgoroth fight which lasts 20-25 seconds. This is what can happen in those 20-25 seconds

- Bubblebro builds bubble to protect the team, blind the adds and provide damage/defense buff
- Nightstalker tethers the boss, when it runs out another hunter can tether.

And this is just one combination of 2 Titans, 1 warlock and 3 hunters...you obviously can't do the same if you have different combination.

I think I would argue that all this is a DPS increase. There is not any other dynamic going on.

A deeper gameplay for raid bosses would be welcome. Healers, kiting, tanks could be added to Destiny 2 to great benefit.

Two Words

This is just not true, I'll give you an example of the DPS phase alone from Golgoroth fight which lasts 20-25 seconds. This is what happens in those 20-25 seconds

- Nightstalker tethers the boss

A lot of that isn't necessary on normal mode. And most synergy revolves around titans using a bubble and hunter using a bow. The amount of synergy is very limited. Here are some samples that could allow for more synergy.

Titan can temporarily increase his armor significantly while causing enemies to aggro on him.
Hunter can temporarily increase his damage output significantly while losing a significant amount of armor
Warlock can create walls that keep enemies from entering from a particular side (not as protective as a bubble)
Titans can deploy ammo drops
Hunters can restore ability cooldowns
Warlock can sacrifice his super for an immense amount of light production for teammates
Titans can intimidate adds
Hunters can mark enemies to be always visible
Warlocks can temporarily time freeze adds (they cannot be hurt when frozen)

I could go on. I am not saying that the classs should have all of these abilities at once. But giving these kinds of abilities to classes would allow them to be more diverse. My hope is that Destiny 2 will play at a larger scale that allows for more diversity in classes.

Some people act like Bungie did something so horrible to them. Sept 2014 was 2.5 years ago. The game has changed drastically since then.

I guarantee many people complaining will end up getting it on release. Destiny 2 is a fresh start so save your salt for later.

Also, do some people ever get happy about anything these days? Sheesh.

Canucked

I will hold off until I hear how the story is. Cautiously optimistic. I didn't go back to destiny after launch but maybe they beefed up the story.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Wonder if they'll go back to the Traveler/Speaker being evil storyline.

I don't know about the traveler but man I could tell you about the darkness in speaker , I could tell about the fuckin phrase that speaker always use , I could tell you that everything in speaker leads to mystery

I could tell about Destiny 2 but I won't -_-

A lot of that isn't necessary on normal mode. And most synergy revolves around titans using a bubble and hunter using a bow. The amount of synergy is very limited. Here are some samples that could allow for more synergy.

Titan can temporarily increase his armor significantly while causing enemies to aggro on him.
Hunter can temporarily increase his damage output significantly while losing a significant amount of armor
Warlock can create walls that keep enemies from entering from a particular side (not as protective as a bubble)
Titans can deploy ammo drops
Hunters can restore ability cooldowns
Warlock can sacrifice his super for an immense amount of light production for teammates
Titans can intimidate adds
Hunters can mark enemies to be always visible
Warlocks can temporarily time freeze adds (they cannot be hurt when frozen)

I could go on. I am not saying that the classs should have all of these abilities at once. But giving these kinds of abilities to classes would allow them to be more diverse. My hope is that Destiny 2 will play at a larger scale that allows for more diversity in classes.
These all sound awesome, but the big problem is Bungie's goal to keep the PvE and PvP experience one and the same. A design decision I certainly hope they abandon after the first game, and the countless nerfs to things for the PvP side which hurt the PvE side.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
... How is the number 2 supposed to look??

gi.php

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
So you want to have 4K graphics instead of 60 FPS when a very slim amount of people would even have 4K tvs? And you think 60 FPS is going to be too big of a resource drain and want 4K?!
Yup give me that Destiny butter smooth 30fps & 4k downsampling

HonMirin

I don't know about the traveler but man I could tell you about the darkness in speaker , I could tell about the fuckin phrase that speaker always use , I could tell you that everything in speaker leads to mystery

I could tell about Destiny 2 but I won't -_-
Tell me... What do you know...

Mik2121

Almost 1300 comments now... damn.
Anyway, bought Destiny and the DLC. Will be on this one too unless what they show is terrible (which shouldn't), or their microtransaction setup is too aggressive (dunno).

a harpy

This is Bungie's first true current gen title as well. Excited to see what they can do with the hardware.

This, definitely.

The worst thing Destiny 2 can be is a $60 expansion for Destiny 1. That'd be a disaster.

I hope they completely redo the class systems. Take another look at the stats. Take another look at the gear and gear slots. Take another look at the way leveling is handled. I'd like to see 2 new classes. I'd like to see more gameplay variety, more vehicles, more customization. I'd like to see parties of 4/8 instead of 3/6. In-game clan support. The game has a lot of potential to be amazing.

Two Words

Ive played more than 1500hrs on PS4 & encountered probably 3 times of slowdown. And Ive had people stunned when I tell them its only 30fps just my opinion
So is a locked 15 FPS that never dips also "butter smooth"? Destiny's performance is fine, very playable. I never play Destiny and feel that it performs poorly. But it isn't butter smooth. You can talk up Destiny performing decently without acting like it is anywhere close to a 60 FPS experience. Hell, the interpolated 60 FPS video posted earlier looks way smoother and that's just fudging 60 FPS.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Haven't really been keping up with Destiny since TTK, but isn't that just some anniversary event where they bring back old content?

I just think announcing the game with just an image is a bad way to do it.

We all know that destiny 2 is coming and they too , so they just tease it with an image not for announcing but for showing you what is going on in Destiny 2

Clunker

I am in. So, so in. I loved the original, have played all the expansions and even now, when dropping back in after not playing the game in close to six months, just fell back into bed with the gunplay in strikes and Crucible like I'd only stopped yesterday.

Regardless of how the game has/hasn't changed, I'm sure that whatever the game has to offer, I need to see it for myself. Destiny had a ton of problems, given, but what's there is so strangely compelling and alluring. Combine that with what I've found to be a pretty amazing player base (at least with PvE content), and I'm happy to pick away at this game for months at a time if it clicks.

DNAbro

Haven't really been keping up with Destiny since TTK, but isn't that just some anniversary event where they bring back old content?

I just think announcing the game with just an image is a bad way to do it.

Yes, but it wouldn't be surprising if they said more tomorrow.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
So is a locked 15 FPS that never dips also "butter smooth"? Destiny's performance is fine, very playable. I never play Destiny and feel that it performs poorly. But it isn't butter smooth. You can talk up Destiny performing decently without acting like it is anywhere close to a 60 FPS experience. Hell, the interpolated 60 FPS video posted earlier looks way smoother and that's just fudging 60 FPS.
Im not gonna disagree with you opinions & all. But imo it is butter smooth to me i understand the love of 60fps im same on pc with racing games. Also i should probably point out im 45 and i run 99% of shooters on their lowest input speed setting otherwise I constantly overshoot my mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom