• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Unfortunately WotM is the only one I did in D1 so I was wondering how does it compare to Leviathan.
Damn you missed out. VoG is legit great both lore wise and mostly execution too. Crota has great atmosphere but it's half baked gameplay wise. King's Fall got on my nerves by the end because it started to strain my arbitrary suspension of disbelief when you have to beat a giant space demon by spirit running counter clockwise on some platforms suspended in the air and then through some spirit bombs to blow him up, oh and kill the ogres and blah blah blah. Mechanics for the sake of mechanics. It was fun the first time though and is the most expansive raid in D1. Never actually played WoTM lol.

darkwing

Damn you missed out. VoG is legit great both lore wise and mostly execution too. Crota has great atmosphere but it's half baked gameplay wise. King's Fall got on my nerves by the end because it started to strain my arbitrary suspension of disbelief when you have to beat a giant space demon by spirit running counter clockwise on some platforms suspended in the air and then through some spirit bombs to blow him up, oh and kill the ogres and blah blah blah. Mechanics for the sake of mechanics. It was fun the first time though and is the most expansive raid in D1. Never actually played WoTM lol.

WoTM was awesome, that giant thing

Wallach

Fake news. I queued for the NF last night without a mic. Even if it was a requirement it wouldn't guarantee someone actually uses the mic. Or speaks your language.

*shrug*

It's listed as a requirement. It's still technically in beta so maybe that is not enabled or working yet.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I ran part of the raid today with some Gaffers. Our fire team called it at
the Pleasure Gardens
. Yeah, I understand the mixed reception this Raid has received.
The first part, where you open the door to the Bath House, is simple, but kinda fun. Like a Horde mode, but in a raid context. However, doing it a second time to open the Pleasure Gardens, OK yeah, that was rubbish. The Bath House section itself is overly drawn out considering you achieve nothing, and having no Boss to fight for this area was an unwelcomed surprise. The Pleasure Gardens, though, is easily the least enjoyable component of any Raid I've played. Whoever decided this was OK to include shouldn't be allowed to make decisions anymore. Kills any and all replayability for the raid, because no one is going to want to play that bullshit twice. Bungie need to straight up re-design it, or they're going to lose their raiding scene until the DLC makes this raid irrelevant.
If I didn't have great team mates, I would've bailed.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah, same buddy. You're going PC this time around, right? :( OddOne has vanished and Poker has even less time to play than I do. It's a legitimate miracle that I actually got raid-ready on day 1 for this one, I've never managed that before. :lol

Hell,
the Bathers just fucking melted under Merciless. Love that gun.
Yeah went for ps4 for preexperience and then PC :(
OddOne was already kinda gone in the late part of destiny sadly :(
Yeah I'm also raidready day 1 for the first time.

and yeah merciless shreds through most ebenies in the raid and does pretty good dmg against the last boss aswell.

DyZ

Not sure what people are smoking, but this raid is easily number 2 behind VoG as far as best raids go. (I could also buy the case that it's maybe third, because Oryx was also good.)

This raid feels like a proper raid. It focuses on team work and strategy over pure DPS burns on bosses.

Acorn

*shrug*

It's listed as a requirement. It's still technically in beta so maybe that is not enabled or working yet.
I don't think they'd have a way to check anyway. Even if they did you could plug in regular earphones and the ps4 thinks it's a headset.

WoTM was awesome, that giant thing
Huh, I don't know where I got that the consensus was that it was ok but not that meaty. I think the fact that I heard the raid was eh and the enemy faction once again being an updated old one where the main reasons why I didn't pick it up. Shame.

Oh, and hating where crucible went in D1 after TTK, which is another thing that is making D2 not stick with me as much as D1 as someone who used to be into the pvp side pretty deep...

Flipside

I must say I really like the raid. We had a nice and patient team going in blind and I had a lot of fun figuring things out. We stopped at the
gardens
but not without making some decent progress on tactics. The raid feels very fresh. The only thing I'm really missing is an intro/questchain to provide some context to why we are doing the raid.

Question for people who did (part of) the raid:
We all got this key after beating the bathing pools encounter. Do you need to be in a full fireteam to find the chest? Or is it possible to find it by yourself?

Jblanks

Lé Blade Runner;248934068 said:
Man, reading discussions about Crucible on Reddit is heart-wrenching... Seemingly 80% of people hate it. I, on the other hand, really enjoy it, and have had zero lag-issues. Am I just crazy, though?

I like it a decent amount for the most part; only wish it was 6v6 or at least have a 6v6 mode, I think it would help speed things up. Not getting supered, shouldered charged, or blink/slide shotgunned every other death is pretty nice. It's a lot better going into it with at least one other person on your fireteam though.

Hmm sucks about the raid reception, I always wait a week or 2 anyhow to jump in. Won't help reviews for sure.

Wallach

I don't think they'd have a way to check anyway. Even if they did you could plug in regular earphones and the ps4 thinks it's a headset.

Probably so. I think it is as much as they can do to set expectations, though. Players will feel justified going to orbit if people try to queue for the raid intentionally avoiding the mic requirement.

Deen

Neo Member
The Pleasure Gardens, though, is easily the least enjoyable component of any Raid I've played. Whoever decided this was OK to include shouldn't be allowed to make decisions anymore. Kills any and all replayability for the raid, because no one is going to want to play that bullshit twice. Bungie need to straight up re-design it, or they're going to lose their raiding scene until the DLC makes this raid irrelevant.[/SPOILER] If I didn't have great team mates, I would've bailed.

Well, that's how a Raid is supposed to be imho. It's not just killing a boss, get better at it and just shred him in 2 minutes to "farm" your raid loot every week, it has to be challenging at some point. I think there has to be an annoying part in every raid, so that it's worth to even call it a raid.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Level 20. didn't finish the campaign but this far better experience from level 1 to 20 than D1 and more balanced.

GlamFM

Banned
Not sure what people are smoking, but this raid is easily number 2 behind VoG as far as best raids go. (I could also buy the case that it's maybe third, because Oryx was also good.)

This raid feels like a proper raid. It focuses on team work and strategy over pure DPS burns on bosses.

Nobody here has beaten it yet - therefore everybody hates it.

That's the cycle.

Give it a week or two and we'll talk again.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Nobody here has beaten it yet - therefore everybody hates it.

That's the cycle.

Give it a week or two and we'll talk again.

This is a valid point, in a week after a 2nd run or so, appreciation for the finer things will come to light.

At the moment, salt will be the flavor of the day lol.

Yeah went for ps4 for preexperience and then PC :(
OddOne was already kinda gone in the late part of destiny sadly :(
Yeah I'm also raidready day 1 for the first time.

and yeah merciless shreds through most ebenies in the raid and does pretty good dmg against the last boss aswell.
You're sorely missed, buddy. :(

Wait. Wait....

More Leviathan Raid stuff, especially regarding whats revealed at the end:
Bungie, are you seriously going to pull a bait & switch with the boss himself?
The Calus we destroy in the raid is a robot & the only glimpse of the real Calus is the projection dimension we go to? So we do all this work & don't progress the plot or anything in any significant way?

You're telling me Emperor Calus would send a ship capable of literally eating/devouring a world, after the Cabal Empire already lost a weapon capable of doing this very thing during the campaign, and park it in front of Nessus in order to just get marooned there when his robot body-double ultimately gets destroyed? And he does this after the undefeated Indominous Ghaul loses to the Traveller & its Guardians?

Fuck this poorly thought out raid, top to bottom. Why do I care more about their lore than Bungie seemingly does?

Wait. Wait....

The Calus we destroy in the raid is a robot & the only glimpse of the real Calus is the projection dimension we go to? So we do all this work & don't progress the plot or anything in any significant way?

Fuck this raid, top to bottom.
I actually thought that was pretty awesome. Especially
his last little monologue about "You still believe you fight for the right side? Mull it over and enjoy my gifts." Which means (hopefully) he'll still be a relevant villain going forward, rather than being killed off immediately in this raid.

I actually thought that was pretty awesome. Especially
his last little monologue about "You still believe you fight for the right side? Mull it over and enjoy my gifts." Which means (hopefully) he'll still be a relevant villain going forward, rather than being killed off immediately in this raid.

Nah, thats an insult to the player's time. I mean, on the one hand, there is a benefit to giving him an out & developing him at a later time. Calus does come out of nowhere in terms of the plot, and even though he has this awesome seat of power (The Leviathan), like i've said before, everything about it is basically squandered, so giving him a future opportunity for development is welcome.

However, think of it this way - how menacing is Emperor Calus really? He gets usurped by Ghaul,
a character we take out during the campaign
, so its not like there is a lot of room there for development.

They should have just made The Leviathan's last boss a Light-resurrected Ghaul, and let us take it from there. The more I think about this raid, the more I hate it.

What i'm starting to realize is I hate how Bungie keeps pushing supposedly interesting plot developments in their universe to some nebulous future product, whereas I want some cool & interesting stuff explored here & now.

Wait. Wait....

You're telling me Emperor Calus would send a ship capable of literally eating/devouring a world, after the Cabal Empire already lost a weapon capable of doing this very thing during the campaign, and park it in front of Nessus in order to just get marooned there when his robot body-double ultimately gets destroyed? And he does this after the undefeated Indominous Ghaul loses to the Traveller & its Guardians?

Fuck this poorly thought out raid, top to bottom. Why do I care more about their lore than Bungie seemingly does?
Well, to be fair, him and Ghaul aren't exactly buddies.

If he's so callous (get it) that he would leave a Leviathan just parked near Nessus,
maybe he's got a few more in the garage somewhere. Maybe it really is a test to see if the Guardians are as strong as is said,
or if them beating Ghaul was a fluke.

Well, to be fair, him and Ghaul aren't exactly buddies.

If he's so callous (get it) that he would leave a Leviathan just parked near Nessus,
maybe he's got a few more in the garage somewhere. Maybe it really is a test to see if the Guardians are as strong as is said,
or if them beating Ghaul was a fluke.

Btw, this begs an even greater question - we find out in the lore that Ghaul & the Red Legion hold a coup & usurp Calus, and the reason they banish him to the Leviathan instead of killing him is because Emperor Calus' standing within the Empire's populace was very positive & feared that killing Calus would backfire on them.

Why in the heck would Ghaul banish Emperor Calus to a mega-weapon like the Leviathan if what he sought was to limit his power? Wouldn't you just imprison him or maroon him on a planet somewhere that can't, ya know, destroy entire planets on a whim?

And Calus shouldn't have to test the strength of the Guardians & the Traveler - the guy he lost to was defeated by these forces. If he is anywhere near as calculating as the raid's ending implies, then Calus would probably make an allusion to the fact this was merely a data-gathering expedition for him, and maybe even thank us for eliminating Ghaul & his cronies for him, and how we basically re-handed him control of the Empire on a silver platter. The raid could have even started with Ghaul making a reference to how he took the Leviathan to our system in a bid for revenge against Ghaul, only to find a group of Guardians greeting him instead of the Red Legion.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A little silly to have a ship capable of eating entire planets parked right next to one. Could just end the entire game at this point and destroy our Solar System.

I mean, shit. I just saved our world a week ago. Now a ship could just easily eat it. Fuck.

R aka Bon

Is there a way to edit you characters appearance other than at the beginning? I feel like changing my characters haircolor and can't quite find a way to do so.

ValfarHL

I'm at PL 275 and haven't done Mida, Nightfall or raid yet. Should I do the nightfall and raid before getting the Mida at max level?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So I got a D2 server error and the damn console booted me to apply a firmware update.

Thanks...

Raid impressions that are like "I don't like puzzle shit" "the mechanics need to take a back seat" "disappointed that I have to use a mic"

...did you actually play any of the old raids.

Animator

The one thing I am disappointed in this game is the lack of armor look variety. I have a lvl 285 Warlock now and I am pretty sure there are like 5-6 different pieces of armor for Warlocks in total cause I keep getting the same two chest armors since lvl 1. Destiny 1 had much better armor variety.

tamminen

I can now understand why theres no matchmaking for Nightfalls. Tried them a couple times with strangers picked up from bungie.nets LFG and we got destroyed big time. I believe I learned some new curse words listening this one guy going all out rampage on me when I died on the drills.

With one of the groups we gave it a couple attempts and got to last phase of the boss but time ran out. I got some confidence and experience so Ill try it out later with some guildmates.

nOoblet16

Dat title
giphy.gif

Also you can't expect to do the first week of raid without using a mic and the puzzles taking time. But you also can't expect them to always take time and always absolutely need a mic without fail from everyone in the fireteam (like come on guys we can do Aksis fight with barely any communication now). You guys know how much time it took people to even get past Warpriest in Kings Fall? Or how people though the Oryx encounter would never be something people do repeatedly every week? Or how people thought you can't really speed up a mechanics heavy raid because "there is no way"?

It's always the most difficult first 2 weeks with everything looking like it's not possible then it becomes like clockwork.

Raid impressions that are like "I don't like puzzle shit" "the mechanics need to take a back seat" "disappointed that I have to use a mic"

...did you actually play any of the old raids.
A lot of that was me and I only played 2 of them and sucked at Kings Fall cuz of the jumping part and then not immediately grasping some of the rules at other parts. I'm too slow on the uptake for all these crazy mechanics and rules I guess.

Anyone want to do Rat King nightfall on XBO? My friend and I need a third.

I can help in about 5 hours if you cant find someone. We crushed it with almost 10 minutes to spare on our 2nd attempt. Gt LifeExpectancy

Nightfall is actually challenging this time and you don't really want to play with complete strangers without a mic.

Challenging? Maybe last week's... This week is like taking candy from a baby. A very big metallic alien baby.

Top Bottom