• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I appreciate the perspective sephi. I wish I could relate more because yours is the dominant opinion about both this game and other games I enjoy. it's just hard to stomach. If you enjoy it regardless of how much you dislike and how deeply you dislike it then I guess I get it, the scale just tips slightly toward "keep playing."

Gotta be clear I'm not talking about being disappointed or thinking things could be better, it's a different sentiment. Plenty of stuff I am disappointed by myself and as with D1 part of my purchase price was given under the assumption that the game will be on a trajectory of gradual improvement as D1 was. But like, while it's perfectly respectable to find D2 less fun than D1 but it's not like this attitude was either absent or less omnipresent in Destiny 1 on exactly the same sine wave.

I don't know if it's working for a software company or having for most of my childhood wanting to go into game development specifically that makes me find the whole premise ("Fuck you, but I do like your game") so gross.

I will say that if you're operating under any kind of premise like "it's shit now, but in a year or three it will be okay"... there's no shame in just not playing until it's better in your eyes. Again not talking about your approach specifically but anyone who feels that way.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there room in the PS4 clan? I was going to go PC, but I have a friend who has it on PS4 and that pretty much cements my decision.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there room in the PS4 clan? I was going to go PC, but I have a friend who has it on PS4 and that pretty much cements my decision.
Heya nic. There are a bunch of PS4 clans. Check out the OP for a post with links to all of them
PE on Titan seem to be bugged for me. Only the one at original spawn every shows on the map.
I think I read about some kind of display bug with PEs everywhere in that they don't always show on the map even as they are happening as normal.

Basically you just want to loop between The Rig and Siren's Watch, you can typically chain them together for an incredibly fast Flashpoint. So whenever one is done head over to the other area even if it's not showing up on your map.

v1perz53

Heh. Seems like it's always controversial to suggest this, like I'm being completely unreasonable, but I'll try one more time. If you find yourself saying "Fuck _____" where the blank is the developer of a videogame you're playing, stop playing that game, immediately, forever. I don't get why anyone does this to themselves and I've never heard a good answer.

It's just not worth it. Play games and patronize developers that you like and want to support.

Don't mean to be asking you in particular for justification btw sephi. I see this shit all the time, so my suggestion is rhetorical. Maybe I will convince someone else out there who for reasons unexplained simply cannot stop playing a game they hate.

Bolded for emphasis, I think you're missing the point when people say things like "fuck Bungie". I'm not supporting statements like that, since I always think actual discourse and discussion on what you actually don't like and problems you have is a superior option, but you're totally glossing over the point many of these people are making.

They AREN'T saying "fuck Bungie, I hate Destiny 2", they're saying "fuck Bungie, I like Destiny 2 but they keep making bad decisions making it worse". These are often people who like/love the game, want to keep playing it, but are met at every turn with poor decisions on Bungie's part that seem to be going in the wrong direction, and it is frustrating. Things like not fixing the Nightfall bug, which eliminates an entire 25% of their prestige nightfall offerings, can understandably frustrate people. Similarly, things they spent 3 years perfecting in D1 being rolled back to an even worse state in D2 despite the team leads for TTK and D2 being the same are also frustrating.

It is very easy to like a game, and dislike the direction the developer is taking it, or dislike the lack of support to issues you have with it, in which case you are totally allowed to play the game while still being irritated with the developer. Again, as I said "fuck Bungie" is too vague and useless, but honestly there's not much wrong with "fuck Bungie for not fixing or even addressing this Nightfall bug in 4 weeks and leaving an entire aspect of the game unplayable". Now as soon as the "so and so should be fired" or worse, the death threats start flying is when I lose all faith in people posting about this stuff, that is always unacceptable...

Can someone tell me what I need to sacrifice in order to get that Celestial Nighthawk? Do I have to promise my firstborn to an evil witch? Coz, if it's the latter I'll have to consult my wife first.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Heya nic. There are a bunch of PS4 clans. Check out the OP for a post with links to all of them

I think I read about some kind of display bug with PEs everywhere in that they don't always show on the map even as they are happening as normal.

Basically you just want to loop between The Rig and Siren's Watch, you can typically chain them together for an incredibly fast Flashpoint. So whenever one is done head over to the other area even if it's not showing up on your map.

There are a LOT of GAF clans. Is there a way to tell which are "most active"?

sephi22

Hawkian, I didn't say anything but 'This developer has fallen so low of my expectations'. That's it. One line. Didn't force my opinion on anyone or write an essay to dissuade anyone else from enjoying their time with the game.

But it seems that one line of my opinion was enough to ruffle someone's feathers enough to write an obvious no-brainer like 'you realize devs can miss bugs right?'. That bothered me enough to detail why this is an issue that could've been avoided 1 of 3 ways but since the dev chose none of them it makes them look lazy and uncaring.

I don't mind skipping this week's Nightfalls. It's not a big deal, just compounds another issue onto the various issues currently present. It seemed that person was bothered by me saying Bungie dissapointed me as a company, so I ended with Fuck Bungie to bother them more. That's it.

I don't know if it's working for a software company or having for most of my childhood wanting to go into game development specifically that makes me find the whole premise ("Fuck you, but I do like your game") so gross.
Would it bother you less if I didn't like your game and said fuck you? This happens all the time. Separate the art from the artist or whatever. Even then I'm cursing out Bungie, the multi-million dollar corporation and not an individual, like the Bungie forums calling for firing of Luke Smith

TsuWave

Such an awesome piece. Other night on EDZ while doing the glimmer event I could keep tethering groups every 15 seconds. Non stop super for a good few minutes.

i'll probably only get it after its been nerfed :/

See tag. I have slightly more affection for Tyra whom I've taken every engram to in D2. I'm still without Orpheus Rig myself though.

you know what? i'm gonna start doing that, i don't care how irrational it is but i'm taking all my engrams to Tyra from now on.

On another note, and i'm asking this because i remember reading you have an affinity for handcannons, how do you feel about the iron banner handcannon? Its the kinetic weapon i'm using for PVE now and i quite like it. seems to one shot most ads, plus i'm a sucker for a handcannon with outlaw (fatebringer nation, we will never stop existing)

IB handcannon+manannan is sex right now but i'm being forced to run celestial nighthawk gunslinger because no orpheus rig :/

Finally got mine today, what a sigh of relief. I had deleted and re-made my hunter 4 times already for the free exotic engram at the end and resetting powerful engrams (they still have a high exotic chance, but drop at your current power level not over it) for more chances at, glad to not be doing that anymore.

i've actually considered deleting my hunter a couple of times but i don't have it in me to play through the story and leveling up to 20 again.

i've got a bunch of weapon parts and crucible tokens to hand in and i know there's a chance of getting exotics from vendors when you turn in stuff i just don't know if its strictly weapons or if there's a chance for exotic armor as well. seems like that's my best shot at it

Deku Tree

I was warping all over and not finding them. It wasn’t working for me. Not sure what the problem was... it seems to be working better on my Hunter now.

Zereta

Bolded for emphasis, I think you're missing the point when people say things like "fuck Bungie". I'm not supporting statements like that, since I always think actual discourse and discussion on what you actually don't like and problems you have is a superior option, but you're totally glossing over the point many of these people are making.

They AREN'T saying "fuck Bungie, I hate Destiny 2", they're saying "fuck Bungie, I like Destiny 2 but they keep making bad decisions making it worse". These are often people who like/love the game, want to keep playing it, but are met at every turn with poor decisions on Bungie's part that seem to be going in the wrong direction, and it is frustrating. Things like not fixing the Nightfall bug, which eliminates an entire 25% of their prestige nightfall offerings, can understandably frustrate people. Similarly, things they spent 3 years perfecting in D1 being rolled back to an even worse state in D2 despite the team leads for TTK and D2 being the same are also frustrating.

It is very easy to like a game, and dislike the direction the developer is taking it, or dislike the lack of support to issues you have with it, in which case you are totally allowed to play the game while still being irritated with the developer. Again, as I said "fuck Bungie" is too vague and useless, but honestly there's not much wrong with "fuck Bungie for not fixing or even addressing this Nightfall bug in 4 weeks and leaving an entire aspect of the game unplayable". Now as soon as the "so and so should be fired" or worse, the death threats start flying is when I lose all faith in people posting about this stuff, that is always unacceptable...

I think when it comes to design decisions, while I am willing (and have) voiced by problems, concerns, frustrations, I err on the side of caution when it comes to declaring that what they are doing is bad.

As someone who's knowledge of game design and development process comes from watching and reading about studios like Bungie, while I have an understanding of it, I refrain from making blanket, "Fuck____" statements because this is a hellish process, making video games, and they don't need to hear that stuff from me.

I think particularly because it is Bungie, and I know they *are* watching the community feedback closely, even if I am frustrated, I choose to be a little less harsh. Some design choices seem ludicrous. But I'm no designer. I can only voice my feedback and see if it spurs action or considerations.

Out 1

That emote can be abused to gain a gamebreaking competitive advantage. It is the worst kind of a bug because it's both harmful to the play experience of players when leveraged by other players, and involves something that is not by default available to all players.

Wait, what? Brb gotta google that.

The reasoning behind 'Fuck ______' where _____ is a developer of a game is that if enough people say it, perhaps they take notice. I don't know if they care or don't, since all they communicate is 'Friends are the real end game' or whatever.

If it were any other industry, I might have agreed. Since gamergate and throwing hissy fits over bad animations are firmly associated with gaming, I'm afraid these blanket "fuck ___ " are plainly toxic and not constructive in any way.

P.S. It's poorly worded, but I kinda agree with Deej's sentiment on the end game.

sephi22

If it were any other industry, I might have agreed. Since gamergate and throwing hissy fits over bad animations are firmly associated with gaming, I'm afraid these blanket "fuck ___ " are plainly toxic and not constructive in any way.
Maybe the 3 lines before that are constructive? People talking about discourse, discussion and constructive criticism as if Fuck Bungie is all I wrote. Read, motherlovers, read!
1. A prestige nightfall shouldn't be broken to the point of being locked from completion. This should be tested before release.
2. Assuming it went past QA, this is the second time this NF is active, and the bug was discovered last time. Not fixing a bug in that time period is shameful.
3. Assuming the bug is too hard to fix in this short time, remove this NF from rotation. But they didn't.

Let's not forget the horrible, controversial, toxic post that started this.
This company has fallen so far below what I expect of them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No I'm not...

I'm talking about the rhetoric.

If you're not supporting statements like that you're just agreeing with me. I have no issue with constructive criticism and it's both necessary and helpful. It's that personal affront, talking about the company who so egregiously develops a game you ostensibly enjoy like they just stole a kid's puppy. It's way harder to take whatever comes before or after seriously.
They AREN'T saying "fuck Bungie, I hate Destiny 2", they're saying "fuck Bungie, I like Destiny 2 but they keep making bad decisions making it worse".
Eh, there's a spectrum. They're saying fuck bungie regardless. Literally saying it. And it's really obvious to me that a lot of people hate this game and have a compulsion to play it (sometimes hundreds of hours) regardless.
These are often people who like/love the game, want to keep playing it, but are met at every turn with poor decisions on Bungie's part that seem to be going in the wrong direction, and it is frustrating. Things like not fixing the Nightfall bug, which eliminates an entire 25% of their prestige nightfall offerings, can understandably frustrate people. Similarly, things they spent 3 years perfecting in D1 being rolled back to an even worse state in D2 despite the team leads for TTK and D2 being the same are also frustrating.
I think that if you feel like you are met at every turn with frustration then it should be less of a controversial decision to just walk away, and maybe come back when it's better. Like it just shouldn't be a big deal. I feel like there's a lot of "god damn this shit, fuck Bungie, this is embarrassing" followed by playing for another 15 hours that week.

There are things I like about the game that a vast majority clearly dislike, and there are things I dislike about the game that are going to be so low priority on the list of possible changes that I'm better off not thinking about them at all because the most vocal care about other things more. In other words I find my opinions to be completely eclipsed by people who are more frustrated by the game than I am. That may be the way it should be. Like, a company should cater more to its unhappy customers than its happy customers; it's a valid viewpoint. But it's so formulaic and cyclical. I wish everything about the entire enterprise of providing live support to a videogame, a digital entertainment venue, nothing more than a pastime, was less dramatic and I'm fighting a deeply losing battle.
I disagree that there's nothing wrong with it, with or without an addendum. It actually detracts from the validity of a complaint. It would make me bitter as a dev rather than empathetic.

But I know it won't ever stop.

Cornbread78

There are a LOT of GAF clans. Is there a way to tell which are "most active"?

It's so tough to tell right now because most large clans have already hit the lvl.6 cap and will not progress any further until the "season" resets (whenever that is)

Most worrying is that ALL of the large clans out there are running into "activity" issues ATM.... SOOO many players have already stepped away from the game until the DLC drops or have stepped away completely. I feel bad for a bunch of my buddies in all different clans because of this.

I laugh because our clan has about a 60/40 (NA=60 vs EU=40) participation split and the EU folks kill the NA folks in activity and participation, lol

Well, there are some clans out there that dump players weekly for not logging in, so you can look for those hardcore folks!

Anyone need someone for a raid, or trying to raid?

I've been trying for the past few weeks with friends but it's so hard to get a full group.

I'm on PS4, I've cleared the baths and the gauntlet before, and have come real close to getting through the gardens. Haven't even seen the boss yet. D:

I just want to beat a raid for once! Closest I have been was the vault of glass, but we couldn't beat the final boss.

Someone raid with me!

EDIT: forgot to put in I'm in US Eastern and trying to play tonight when I get home from work!

sephi22

Anyone need someone for a raid, or trying to raid?
I've been trying for the past few weeks with friends but it's so hard to get a full group.
I'm on PS4, I've cleared the baths and the gauntlet before, and have come real close to getting through the gardens. Haven't even seen the boss yet. D:
I just want to beat a raid for once! Closest I have been was the vault of glass, but we couldn't beat the final boss.
Someone raid with me!
I don't mind. I've already done an attempt today. Down for another in an hour. Hopefully we can get 4 others.

Well, there are some clans out there that dump players weekly for not logging in, so you can look for those hardcore folks!
You think we should start doing that? I'm afraid one day I'll take an extended break from the game and get kicked. But if we are clearing some spaces I can maybe get a friend in (who's in another GAF clan but doesn't know how to get in touch with them since he doesn't have a GAF account lol)

Out 1

Maybe the 3 lines before that are constructive? People talking about discourse, discussion and constructive criticism as if Fuck Bungie is all I wrote. Read, motherlovers, read!

Let's not forget the horrible, controversial, toxic post that started this.

Sorry, I should have worded that differently. I was directly responding to your argument that "fuck Bungie" might make them notice these problems.

I've read your posts and I agree with your points (well, except that they've fallen so low). I have my own disappointments with the game, but I still think, PVE-wise, it's miles ahead of D1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you know what? i'm gonna start doing that, i don't care how irrational it is but i'm taking all my engrams to Tyra from now on.
Good man.
On another note, and i'm asking this because i remember reading you have an affinity for handcannons, how do you feel about the iron banner handcannon? Its the kinetic weapon i'm using for PVE now and i quite like it. seems to one shot most ads, plus i'm a sucker for a handcannon with outlaw (fatebringer nation, we will never stop existing)
I meant to post about it. It's great and gunning for my favorite HC so far.

The magazine sucks, but it totally beats other the other low RoF hand cannons in ever way possible. Hits crazy hard in PvE as you noted. The range and aim assist feel great and Outlaw really shines on it. It seems to last longer than it did in D1.

I've even had some success with it in Crucible where the other HCs in that archetype are garbage there. I can hit headshots with it that wouldn't even be counted as hits with Dire Promise (which I still love, and remains better for boss DPS in PvE).
IB handcannon+manannan is sex right now but i'm being forced to run celestial nighthawk gunslinger because no orpheus rig :/
Great loadout. Manannan is my favorite scout. I want a couple clones to keep on each element.
I ended with Fuck Bungie to bother them more.
All there is to it really. That's everything I take issue with. I've said my peace and again thank you for your perspective, I appreciate you engaging on it and not taking my points personally.

Kyne

hopefully they push out some updates to incentive clan activity. We went from having a full 100-man clan that needed to kick for space, to a 5-7 man average clan in the span of 2-3 weeks.

since I was one of the lucky few to get a full IB armor set, after completing the prestige Raid and getting my Acrius fully upgraded I really don't have a reason to play until season 2 in December.

hopefully twitchcon brings some good news.

Cornbread78

I
You think we should start doing that? I'm afraid one day I'll take an extended break from the game and get kicked. But if we are clearing some spaces I can maybe get a friend in (who's in another GAF clan but doesn't know how to get in touch with them since he doesn't have a GAF account lol)

I've only ever asked for communication from folks. I did drop a few guys yesterday that did not respond to multiple communications through the Bungie site and are not on Discord and just haven't appeared anywhere... I feel it is a fair expectation that if you are not playing to at least respond to messages wanting to check in and see what your intentions are.

These drops allowed us to clear our waiting list for now and add a few friends and GAF members that have been waiting to get in I'll keep looking, so if more drops are made, there will be space for new members. (shoot me a DM on Discord, so I can track your friends PSN)

sephi22

Orpheus Rig is love. Orpheus Rig is life. It's my favourite exotic of the game and an actual game changer, a legit successor to the powerful fan favourite Destiny 1 exotics. Just hope Bungie don't nerf them.
You wanna do another raid? Check Whatsapp breh.
EDIT: My bad. I should've checked Whatsapp

Kensuke

My PS4 Pro sounds like it's about to blow up when Calus starts inhaling in the Shadow Realm. I've never heard it that loud before, it's insane. How is it for you guys? I'm really considering calling Sony for a replacement before warranty runs out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's so tough to tell right now because most large clans have already hit the lvl.6 cap and will not progress any further until the "season" resets (whenever that is)

Most worrying is that ALL of the large clans out there are running into "activity" issues ATM.... SOOO many players have already stepped away from the game until the DLC drops or have stepped away completely. I feel bad for a bunch of my buddies in all different clans because of this.

I laugh because our clan has about a 60/40 (NA=60 vs EU=40) participation split and the EU folks kill the NA folks in activity and participation, lol

Gotcha. I just want to get in with a group who will be active enough for me to reap the benefits and also enough so that I can find people to run shit with!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I may never be able to put on Orpheus Rig but Celestial Nighthawk (which took me um, a while to get in D1) was the second Exotic armor piece I got in D2.

also it's better than it was in D1 because of Way of the Sharpshooter :kermit:

Has anyone done heroic PE's this morning? How many destination tokens are you getting upon clear?

Was this supposed to change or something? It really should be 2 for normal PE and 3 for Heroic PE as having it equal to the amount you get for stumbling upon a chest is silly but the entire Economy/Currency system is in a very weird state currently so I guess it makes sense to somebody.

shermas

Was this supposed to change or something? It really should be 2 for normal PE and 3 for Heroic PE as having it equal to the amount you get for stumbling upon a chest is silly but the entire Economy/Currency system is in a very weird state currently so I guess it makes sense to somebody.

I thought when the game launched, you earned more than one. Maybe not.

Having recently hit 305, I'm trying to maximize my tokens for the vendor engrams and was pretty bummed when I kept getting one token after a heroic PE

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't seen anything about the prestige raid changes and I dunno how anyone could know them yet. Think that post was confused or something

I think the only day this week I can do a Newbie Raid is tomorrow night, like 8pm EST. Since it would be starting fairly late in the day I could definitely use one or two other patient guides to help us hopefully get the completion. Would be hugely appreciated, is anyone available that wants to help?

Hugstable

Banned
Having got to play around with some of my loot from my first raid, I'm really loving this Sins of the Past rocket launcher I got. Ghost Primus Auto Rifle is damn good too, though Origin Story seems to be better for me when doing Crucible as it seems a bit more accurate, while Ghost Primus shoots alot faster. Really like the Fulminator Warlock robes, though the helmet looks abit funky lol.

Also been wanting to know, is there any good Exotics for Stormcaller or even the Void class in Warlocks? Every armor exotic I've gotten so far has all been for Dawnblade, and I don't like Dawnblade very much >_<

Omni

I'm finding it so hard to find the motivation to log in and do stuff every week. Never really had this issue in Destiny 1 because I always had a 'goal'. Whether it was an awesome 'must have' exotic, amazing weapon perks, or just plain old gear.

I mean I have all the raid guns I think and I haven't ran a full clear of Leviathan since week 1. Those clan engrams are just giving me all this stuff and I don't have to do anything... which is nice I guess? I don't even know. Same with a few trials weapons. I log in for 5 minutes before reset and I'm done. My character is literally levelling itself right now and I'm sitting at 304 light.

Is it true that the hard raid isn't increasing light level??

Top Bottom