• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC performance thread

I am kind torn here. I have a PC that will do great at 1080p/60+ FPS at high or max settings. I also have a PS4 pro that will have a proper checkerboard to 4k resolution. I don't mind the 30 FPS, and I also have friends from my Destiny 1 days. Hmmmmm tough to decide.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I am actually pleasantly surprised at how this runs on my pc. I5 4670k (3.4ghz) and a GTX 760. It defaulted to low/med settings, but it still looks quite nice and was super smooth.

I'm not dissuaded from upgrading though. Planning to drop ~600 on a combination of video card and monitor to enjoy some 1080p+ prettyness.

dmix90

Man, this game runs like a dream.

Amazing optimization.
Let's be honest though. It does not provide any outstanding improvements over console versions other than awesome framerate and better image quality. Assets they use/reuse are still at Destiny 1 levels even in PC version.

Good enough but still.

WipedOut

Amd ryzen 1700 OC @ 3.8GHz
Gtx 1080Ti @ stock
16 Gb Ram @ 2933MHz

All settings highest except for MSAA

1440p 165hz, game fluctuates crazily from about 60-140, anybody else with a 1700 have similar performance?

Doesn't feel too bad since I'm on Gsync but still weird it drops that's much.

Same thing here. I have it set to everything highest except for shadow q and depth set to high, AA turned off. 60-140, all over the place

1700x stock
1080 ti stock
16GB ram @2400

Kambing

Fingers crossed. It does look very good in HDR.

Damnit it did not work lol. Pretty sure the game is sending an HDR single, but everything turned purple/green. My TV also did not recognize it as an HDR signal, which is what I think is causing the purple/green. Ah well, I am happy with 60 fps.

samred

Okay, I literally just upgraded my 1070 to a 1080ti and I'm getting the same low framerates. Absolute max I'm seeing is 90fps looking at a wall, turn around into a larger area and I'm going down to 40fps. Somethings wrong here, I've tried many different settings. Anyone had the same issues?

i7 4790k
144hz 1440p
Latest drivers

1080 Ti is more useful to push performance at higher resolutions. If you want higher frame rate at lower resolutions, you're possibly CPU-bound—though your "barely any difference" result may speak to a badly optimized PC build at this point. Interesting result, either way.

Damnit it did not work lol. Pretty sure the game is sending an HDR single, but everything turned purple/green. My TV also did not recognize it as an HDR signal, which is what I think is causing the purple/green. Ah well, I am happy with 60 fps.
I have that problem if I play at a resolution like 1440p or even 1080p. Something to do with the 4:2:2 colour range. You could try RGB or Default Colour Settings. I don't use them because I lose my Game Mode option on my TV.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm having audio-related issues. All but the BGM comes in whisper quiet when I have my output set to headphones, and no sound at all when I change it to speakers. Anyone else encountering this?

I just finished running through the story and strike and it just runs so smoothly. I wish I could see this on 4K with 60fps, but I'm more than satisfied with how it looks running at 1440p/60fps with settings on high (980ti, 5820k, 16gb RAM). I think I've got the bug and will be playing a lot when this comes out.

Storm Brewer

Neo Member
Same thing here. I have it set to everything highest except for shadow q and depth set to high, AA turned off. 60-140, all over the place

1700x stock
1080 ti stock
16GB ram @2400

Turn off vsync, and it might increase performance. Got my framerate up to 100+ with 80ish drops very infrequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hdW5fqEvM

Testing in 4k with HDR enabled.

took off aa, everything else maxed ran pretty decent.

Played a bit of Crucible and Spire.
When you play is the brightness exactly the same as in the video? I noticed if I turned on HDR in the OS and in the game it would become over-saturated. You can tell when you look at your character in the character screen and the white light almost totally obscures your characters head. Then again it could just be the video.

Gragen

Let's be honest though. It does not provide any outstanding improvements over console versions other than awesome framerate and better image quality. Assets they use/reuse are still at Destiny 1 levels even in PC version.

Good enough but still.

"awesome framerate and better image quality."

Other than that we also get better input in menus, and more importantly m/kb. Responsiveness overall in this game seem overwhelmingly better as well.

Other than that we also get better input in menus, and more importantly m/kb. Responsiveness overall in this game seem overwhelmingly better as well.

Plus more graphical settings like disable film grain/CA/motion blur, SSD load times, wider FOV, etc.

Bry0

The game seriously scales awesomly... and performes realy good on lower tier hardware.
Im currently waiting for my budget gtx 1050 to arrive tommorow and im on a i3 3200mhz

I started the game with my intel onchip graphics just to get a look at the settings menu (wich is pretty detailed in settinga)
Then I started playing the game using the intel onchip graphics card on low settings at 720p. Propably had around 15 fps but it was enough to have a lot of fun shooting down the first enemys.

My impressions are that probably a 750ti could pull of 1080p at low settings

Just curious what was your onboard chip?
I'm stuck with a 6100 iris pro and I wont be able to get my gaming pc until the weekend when the beta closes. >_< Glad to see it's a good port though. Such a relief!

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
1080 Ti is more useful to push performance at higher resolutions. If you want higher frame rate at lower resolutions, you're possibly CPU-bound—though your "barely any difference" result may speak to a badly optimized PC build at this point. Interesting result, either way.
I know you didn't mean it like it but. He dropped 1000 bucks got no difference and you said "interesting result" lmao

EchoSmoker

Neo Member
Anyone having trouble picking their monitor's native resolution?? I have all resolutions available except for 1920x1080, I thought I may have skipped it reading the list but I checked several times. Highest 16:9 resolution I can select is 1600x900. This only happens in fullscreen mode, I tried borderless windowed which detects 1080p but it isn't truly borderless so that isn't an acceptable solution either :/

kuYuri

does the game have an FPS cap or do we need to use an external app to limit (rivatuner?)

I've seen it hit 200fps cap in the menus, but I've never gotten that close in-game. For now, I'm assuming that's the cap though.

Okay, I literally just upgraded my 1070 to a 1080ti and I'm getting the same low framerates. Absolute max I'm seeing is 90fps looking at a wall, turn around into a larger area and I'm going down to 40fps. Somethings wrong here, I've tried many different settings. Anyone had the same issues?

i7 4790k
144hz 1440p
Latest drivers

Turn off MSAA if it's on.

Idk what happened. I just ran the beta fine and I was getting 60fps at 4K on high settings on a GTX 1070, 16GB and a I5 4690K.

I then updated my Geforce drivers, rebooted and started the game up and now my FPS is below 10FPS and I cann't even start the game because it kicks me back to the main menu.

Edit:NVM I restarted the game and it's fine now.

kuYuri

Just realized that I never upgraded to latest game ready drivers, heh. Wonder how much of a difference it makes to my performance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit2: dammit, turned off vsync and now I'm getting 100+ easy few if any drops shoulda tried that first. Only problem is framerate is going all the way up to 200fps, any way to put a hard cap frame limit while still having vsync off.

See "Cap the framerate" in the OP. ;)

Anyone having trouble picking their monitor's native resolution?? I have all resolutions available except for 1920x1080, I thought I may have skipped it reading the list but I checked several times. Highest 16:9 resolution I can select is 1600x900. This only happens in fullscreen mode, I tried borderless windowed which detects 1080p but it isn't truly borderless so that isn't an acceptable solution either :/

This seems to work for some:

Find the exe in the game directory, right click and select properties, go to compatibility options, and uncheck the checkbox relating to High DPI scaling. Fixed it for me.

dmix90

Plus more graphical settings like disable film grain/CA/motion blur, SSD load times, wider FOV, etc.
Awesome QoL improvements no doubt but i was talking strictly about graphics stuff and performance ballpark. Roughly speaking we are getting the same amount of triangles/effects/etc as netbook/750ti consoles which run them at rock solid 1080p/30. This game should perform like that. Still good to see that it is indeed performs according to horsepower.

Just wish there were more juice.... Like more advanced physics, particles or other stuff. Stuff we see in GPU tech demos.

BraXzy

Idk what is going on but when I have the game on my TV and turn HDR on, it goes really weird. Like it's got super exposure/saturation. Could hardly see the menu options.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
When you play is the brightness exactly the same as in the video? I noticed if I turned on HDR in the OS and in the game it would become over-saturated. You can tell when you look at your character in the character screen and the white light almost totally obscures your characters head. Then again it could just be the video.

nah colors dont look of on the tv. think youtube is messing up when hdr is enabled on tv.

Getting a weird error with borderless full screen. You can see it around the text on the top right.

Fullscreen:
destiny2beta08.28.201yazt8.png

Borderless:
desktop08.28.2017-20.exar3.png

Qblivion

So I'm on a laptop that I though met the minimum spec. I've got an i7 6700HQ, Geforce GTX 965M 2GB, and 8GB of ram, and it runs like total ass at the lowest spec. Like 10-20fps. Guess I'm getting the PS4 version :/

So I'm on a laptop that I though met the minimum spec. I've got an i7 6700HQ, Geforce GTX 965M 2GB, and 8GB of ram, and it runs like total ass at the lowest spec. Like 10-20fps. Guess I'm getting the PS4 version :/

Seems like it is not using your dedicated GPU if I were to guess. Are you actually getting GPU utilisation? Download rivaturner...

People posted positive results with similar hardware. It might be related to not switching graphics properly. I would upgrade the drivers.

Is it normal to be super CPU-limited in the Inverted Spire Strike?

I'm getting 98 - 100% usage across all 4 cores and FPS dips into the 30s and 40s vs the 60s-80s I get in the story mission.

6600K overclocked to 4.2 GHz + GTX 1070, running 1440p. Performance in the strike stays the same, 30's-40's FPS regardless of all low settings. Kinda surprised it's still CPU limited on an overclocked i5

JMizzlin

Got a weird issue where my mouse appears along the edges of the screen when I look around. I'm playing full-screen. It doesn't happen in any other games. Any idea how to fix it/what it is?

Top Bottom