• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think that some people were expecting, rather than the 2nd game in the Destiny IP, for Bungie to be revealing the first game in their next IP yesterday...

Trickster

I have a feeling 90% of the people bickering about the Destiny reveal will still grab and enjoy this game at launch.

That's largely because it's possible for people to have criticisms, or have expected something else/more. But still wanna try out the game.

I mean that's pretty much the camp I'm in right now.

molnizzle

I guess I have to ask, what sort of differences were you expecting? I mean, specific examples. We knew there were going to be a few consistent things carried over:

• Supers
  • classes
  • weapon classes
  • crucible
  • strikes
  • raids
  • A continuation of the Cabal story based on the outbound signal mission. We knew early on this was probably the way the sequel was going to go given early leaked info.
  • general look of the game. I mean it's Destiny, the look and feel was always going to be carried over.

The only thing on that list that I expected to carry over was the continuation of the Cabal story. Everything else was fair game to be radically overhauled or outright replaced. That's what I was expecting from a full, numbered sequel that wiped away all progress from the first game. I expected a complete reboot.

Now it's different to have expectations that they might not change these things enough for you and that's fine but that's different than feeling they failed to deliver a new enough game and just gave us a glorified expansion. If you feel this is what D1 should have been that's fine too because others feel the same way and hey if that's what has happened what's the problem? They're finally doing what we feel they should have done from the beginning. In the end isn't that what we wanted? I'd be curious at what exactly you expected them to do. Remember, we're not talking about going far enough here (more weapons, bigger play spaces, etc), we're discussing fundamental changes to the game.

That's what I wanted for D1, yes. The issue is I spent hundreds of hours playing D1 and wanting that stuff and never got it. Now I feel burnt out, and more than a little angry at Bungie for not not having the foresight to design this shit properly in the first place.

I'm glad that Bungie finally seems to be delivering the more refined version of D1 that we all wanted in the first place, but man. I wanted more than that. And I expected more than that because of how they positioned this.

At the end of the day they're not doing themselves any favors by calling this Destiny 2 with a giant 2. To me (and to most, I imagine) that sends the message that this is some totally new thing. It's not that at all. At least, not from what we've seen so far.

with a sequel, i dont only want fixes to prior issues. i want them to move the series forward. using halo as an example: they introduced forge and theater mode between 2 and 3

but the game is looking good and fun. i guess was just expecting more from the reveal. sure they have gems hidden away for E3 and later

As I said, as has been said before, not everything was revealed today. However, I also recognize that what there is left to reveal may not actually be much more in substance. So I can understand, as a general idea, the desire to want more.

However Destiny was already a great game. So news that they've fixed what's lacking while adding more, new versions of the things I already thoroughly enjoy is nothing but exciting for me. If there's more, then even better! However I don't understand disappointment at not having a revolutionary change when one wasn't needed to begin with. To me, that type of reaction is akin to simply wanting a game to be something that it isn't. Like asking for the next Street Fighter to be a 3D Fighter rather than a 2D one. Could that be great? Possibly. But that's not what Street Fighter is at its current core and is far more likely for me to not like it than it sticking to what it is now.

FWIW Street Fighter did try 3D once. And it was abysmal.

That said, I think I read an article that said there was now a ghost voice gender toggle, but they could have been confused about another ghost talking.

May have been confusion with the planet that the Strike takes place on having it's own AI and voice.

That said, I think I read an article that said there was now a ghost voice gender toggle, but they could have been confused about another ghost talking.
Not sure if i should tag this but

In the strike gameplay, there's a female AI who also interacts with Ghost and Zavala. I think she's some kind of planetary-based construct. Maybe they are confusing that as a being a female ghost?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I see an article listing a helmet toggle as part of the settings menu. This was probably already mentioned, but just in case it wasn't: http://www.dualshockers.com/destiny-2-pc-settings-video-controls-accessibility/

Not sure if i should tag this but

In the strike gameplay, there's a female AI who also interacts with Ghost and Zavala. I think she's some kind of planetary-based construct. Maybe they are confusing that as a being a female ghost?

That makes sense.

TsuWave

I'm starting to think that some people were expecting, rather than the 2nd game in the Destiny IP, for Bungie to be revealing the first game in their next IP yesterday...

not really. i'm a hardcore destiny fan and i fully understand people being disappointed/underwhelmed with the reveal. i'm holding hope they held off some big guns for e3, however unlikely that is, but yeah..

Carn82

I wonder what the response would be if they didn't call this "Destiny 2" but "Destiny - The Oncoming Storm" or whatever.

molnizzle

I see an article listing a helmet toggle as part of the settings menu. This was probably already mentioned, but just in case it wasn't: http://www.dualshockers.com/destiny-2-pc-settings-video-controls-accessibility/

I believe this was already in D1, unless this toggle is for outside of social spaces too.

I wonder what the response would be if they didn't call this "Destiny 2" but "Destiny - The Oncoming Storm" or whatever.

Far more positive.

They'd probably sell less copies though.

The only thing on that list that I expected to carry over was the continuation of the Cabal story. Everything else was fair game to be radically overhauled or outright replaced. That's what I was expecting from a full, numbered sequel that wiped away all progress from the first game. I expected a complete reboot.

That's what I wanted for D1, yes. The issue is I spent hundreds of hours playing D1 and wanting that stuff and never got it. Now I feel burnt out, and more than a little angry at Bungie for not not having the foresight to design this shit properly in the first place.

I'm glad that Bungie finally seems to be delivering the more refined version of D1 that we all wanted in the first place, but man. I wanted more than that. And I expected more than that because of how they positioned this.

At the end of the day they're not doing themselves any favors by calling this Destiny 2 with a giant 2. To me (and to most, I imagine) that sends the message that this is some totally new thing. It's not that at all. At least, not from what we've seen so far.

I can understand your concerns and I will say that it does feel like a natural extension of the first game. For some this is exactly what they wanted; for others not so much. That's fine though because it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I guess we have to accept that the game is what it is at this point. There are probably going to be some changes given this is a first look and we haven't even played the beta yet. Still for those that were expecting some massive change to something totally different than what we got before either expectations should have been kept in check or just enjoy what we're getting and hope they grow the game in the ways you were wanting it to grow.

Good talk.

Lakitu

st5fu
Things like adventures, lost sectors and quests/npcs integrated into the world intrigue me and that's something that I wanted in the original.

Also I wanted armoured vehicles and it seems to be the case going by the bits of footage which included a tank. It looks like a nice evolution of Destiny but I'd be lying if I said I wanted a bit more. I'm still going to play it though.

TheRed

I do want to know why instanced 4v4 Crucible matches are unable to run at 60 fps for consoles. Seems like the engine still isn't the best if they can't do that.

I'll be playing on PC so it won't impact me but for console players it would've been nice to at least get that framerate in PvP.

One thing I've definitely noticed from watching the streamers is that while the game is classic Destiny it feels more Halo-ish than Destiny 1. Just something about it. I wonder if this was intentional.

not really. i'm a hardcore destiny fan and i fully understand people being disappointed/underwhelmed with the reveal. i'm holding hope they held off some big guns for e3, however unlikely that is, but yeah..

I think the proof will be in the pudding. The biggest issue most had with vanilla Destiny at launch was the lack of a campaign story and a lack of content. You can't really address those things at an unveil beyond saying, "It's better now, you'll see!"

After yesterday's event, I'm seeing a lot of: "Well, it just looks like more Destiny."

Yeah. That's what the community told Bungie it wanted. Not just more Destiny, but A LOT more Destiny.

We're not going to really know if they've delivered that until September.

RSB

Banned
Meh. I've been watching some gameplay videos and my main problem with Destiny is still there (awful accuracy and movement speed penalties for everything)

Oh well, I will still get the game when the Complete Edition releases in a couple of years. Those accuracy penalties will still bother me (they bother me in every true ADS shooter) but at least it will have a ton of content by then.

BTW, do we know anything about new vehicles? Will they add flying vehicles, or vehicles for more than one person at least?

TsuWave

the more i think about it, i think setting destiny in our solar system was a mistake and greatly hinders how ambitious they can get. hopefully at some point we break free from our solar system in this universe

Carn82

crossposting: Interview with the Destiny 2 PC Lead:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-bungie-plans-to-make-destiny-2-on-pc-legit-on-day-one/

I found this pretty interesting:

Will there be any kind of, like, for people who are on console now but want to move to PC, is there any way they can move their characters over?

We’ve heard about that a lot. We definitely have gotten strong feedback that people are interested in that. At this time, we don’t have anything to announce. We think it’s super interesting, we totally get it, but we don’t have anything really to say about that topic today.

But it’s something on the table? Is it at least under discussion? Because it’s the difference between “we’ve heard about it and ruled it out” and “we’ve heard about it and we’re still thinking about it”.

I mean, we’re thinking about—this is a marathon, not a sprint, right? We’ve already got a pretty sizable history with Destiny and we expect a long one in the future, so I would say there are lots of things we would say, today, we’re not doing, but that are on the table. This is something, certainly, I personally think about quite a lot.

I would love a persistent account. Because I don’t want to leave all my other friends behind! But I want to play on PC.

I understand. I’m with you.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'll agree that it's disappointing to see the game looks very much the same without any impressive upgrades, and I can also see how many would be disappointed in that. I personally would've been happy with 3 new classes (and weapons and strikes and raids, etc) and mostly the same assets from the first game, but it doesn't even look like we're getting that.

Could this have something to do with development time? I haven't read every reply in these 90 pages, but I know Bungie had a contract where they HAD to release this game THIS year no matter what. So doesn't that in many ways constrain what was possible? Building a new engine while making new areas, planets, classes, etc would've likely been a MASSIVE untertaking given their development time. And tweaking the formula too much could've been a very risky move for a proven and profitable IP.

Let me be very clear -- I am not making excuses for Bungie, and I'm personally quite underwhelmed by the reveal. I'm just trying to make sense out of things and see the bigger picture of why we're getting a game that's way more iterative than most people, including myself, would've liked. Thoughts?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more I hear about the new weapon slot system, the more I like it. I was initially wary of the change but it seems like it adds a lot more variety to loadouts and allows you to spec for encounters a lot more specifically.

lol there is no next ip bungie is destiny's developer for the next 10 years

thatsthejoke.jpg

molnizzle

The more I hear about the new weapon slot system, the more I like it. I was initially wary of the change but it seems like it adds a lot more variety to loadouts and allows you to spec for encounters a lot more specifically.

I still don't really get how it works. If I have a hand cannon, can I use it in either the primary or secondary slot—or does it still drop with a locked elemental type that places it into one of those slots automatically?

Kyoufu

Same here.

This also means that Snipers, Fusion Rifles and Shotguns can remain powerful because they're Power weapons along with Rocket and Grenade Launchers. It's a good change from what I can tell without playing it yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still don't really get how it works. If I have a hand cannon, can I use it in either the primary or secondary slot—or does it still drop with a locked elemental type that places it into one of those slots automatically?

That I'm not sure of. I would guess it's the latter.

As someone who has always struggled with deciding on what primary to use, having two primary slots is fantastic haha

GhaleonEB

the more i think about it, i think setting destiny in our solar system was a mistake and greatly hinders how ambitious they can get. hopefully at some point we break free from our solar system in this universe

I don't really think it does, since they take whatever location they choose and turn it into the kind of environment they want to make. So Venus has jungles and research academies, Mars has abandoned cities and underground subway systems, the Moon giant hollowed out ritual sites used by space wizards, etc.

That is carrying over to the new locations. I do hope we expand beyond our solar system and stuff starts to get really weird, but I'm glad we're pushing further out.

Weapons that do kinetic damage go in one slot, and weapons that do elemental damage go in the other. You can have an elemental and kinetic hand cannon (fed, presumably, but separate ammo streams). So if you want to rock all hand cannons, you'd use your kinetic one on unshielded enemies and whip out the elemental when an enemy susceptible to it turns up.

As a long time player I don't say this to be a wet blanket, and I also say it with the understanding that we will see a bunch more of the game and some of this might be addressed, but I came away pretty disappointed in the reveal.

"ooh Destiny 1 DLC' or similar is a condescending and exaggerated way of saying it, but honestly there wasn't one thing I saw yesterday that I wouldn't have believed was in a TTK/ROI level expansion pack for D1.

The most disappointing to me in terms of possibility was that we appear to be playing with the same subclasses (or 3 new ones that seem more like remixes) against the same enemies in the same type of environments with the same weapons (couple new types) supported by the same leveling system. I found myself envisioning other possibilities.

Basically, of course I'm stoked for more Destiny with a new coat of polish and paint (and it really looks good), but I didn't find myself moved, if that makes sense.

That being said, the social stuff (while not hugely important for me as I have a regular group and community) is a huge thing for the game. I hope it's well implemented and more people get to experience raids and such. I'm really optimistic about the small improvements in strikes and story that they made after D1 vanilla and how that may play into a full game. Similarly, I'm very curious to see more about how the open world/patrol/outposts, and a different approach to PvP is sorely needed so I'm excited about what goes on there. Let's do it.

Allow me to pitch it in a more deliberate justification of the "Bigass 2"

• Four new zones, previous expansions only had one
  • Bigger zones, European Dead Zone is 2x as big as Cosmodrome
  • Patrol has NPCs dungeons and mini-missions now
  • "Bigger story and post-game story" (gotta take their word for it)
  • Total reworking of weapon system (double primary and power slots)
  • 3 new subclasses, significant reworking of remaining ones (look at this new Striker super)
  • New class abilities (Cover, Auras and Sidestep) regardless of sublcass
  • INT/DIS/STR have been removed and Armor, Agility, Recovery is reworked
  • New end-game matchmaking
I think from a content and rework perspective, the "2" is justified, but they didn't pitch it very much like that.

There are other improvements like Patrol Map, Public Event timers, Going to orbit, a full
Records tab, in-game Grimoire, removing artifacts (thank the Lord) that could be considered "expansion-tier", but the rest of that stuff is way out of scope for a Destiny Expansion.

All that stuff I'm SUPER excited for. But watching these gameplay videos is actually my concern.
  • TITAN SKATING IS GONE! WHAT THE HELL!
  • And the guns look like they handle like ass still. So much recoil. Why can't guns feel good in Destiny?
  • Hand cannons take more than 3 seconds to reload. Not even joking, look:
  • giphy.gif
  • The strike is pretty, but boy howdy is it LONG with tons of just running between small encounters. Looks tedious to replay.
So I'm actually also in the wet blanket camp, but for a different reason, lol. Everyone seemed to be enjoying playing it yesterday, so I'll reserve judgment until I get the game in my hands.

ByWatterson

I'm not sure what is so confusing regarding the disappointed folks. I'm one of them, and I put in about 1000 hours into the original game.

Destiny was promised as some grand adventure, and it wasn't that at all, but rather a hub game with loading screen seams connecting everything - with massive issues unrelated to its failure to deliver on its central . The disappointed folks were hoping that Destiny 2 would not simply fix the glaring issues that Destiny had, but deliver on the original central promise.

In terms of volume, sure, this looks like 2-3 years worth of work. But the original vision that was scrapped has not been revived. Instead, the exact same grouping of systems, loot chasing, and collecting. The only new ideas are how they've decided to deliver you the old ones. Throw on the objectively marginal graphical improvement, and the feeling of "been there, done that" really starts to sink in.

It's immensely disappointing.

Crosseyes

Banned
The clan stuff seems like a great idea with how they're integrating it in-game so as to let solo players still get in on all the content without throwing them to the matchmaking wolves.

I liked my time in 1 and it was still Bungie gunplay brillance, Halo was my favorite fps franchise of all time and Bungie still makes their gunplay better than anyone.

I never got to do a raid or nightfall though so I'm eager to give D2 a shot when it comes out. You could only strike, patrol, and pvp for so long in D1.

I'm really pissed Destiny 2 is a 30fps console first-person shooter, I was really hoping for a hybrid turn-based strategy and puzzle-fighting game at 120 frames per second.

In all seriousness, I thought the presentation was solid and I like all the proposed design changes: 4v4 crucible, reducing the amount of one hit kill weapons in play, improving readability, larger world spaces, more effects, social engineering, clan progression with incentive systems for in-game LFG, less downtime between activities. I'm very excited to actually play some.

So am I understanding correctly that we're not getting a new class?
Nothing was shown to indicate we are. I would think they would have shown it yesterday if that was an addition to the design.

I was just having this conservation with a co-worker

Destiny: Homecoming would have been perfect.

you can tell this is 100% an expansion in the vein of WOW

Pretty sure we did. Honestly I liked Dinklage better than generic Nolan North voice #14562.

yeb1kVr.gif

The "glitch" at the end of one of the missions where the voice switches back to Dinklage made me redownload the game again. Terrible how they just tried to erase him from history

Correct. However, all 3 classes are getting one of their elemental subclasses replaced:

• Titan (Void) Defeder -> Sentinel
  • Warlock (Solar) Sunsinger -> Dawnblade
  • Hunter (Arc) Bladedancer -> Poledancer (sorry, sorry, it's atually the Arcstrider)

I'm really pissed Destiny 2 is a 30fps console first-person shooter, I was really hoping for a hybrid turn-based strategy and puzzle-fighting game at 120 frames per second.

In all seriousness, I thought the presentation was solid and I like all the proposed design changes: 4v4 crucible, reducing the amount of one hit kill weapons in play, improving readability, larger world spaces, more effects, social engineering, clan progression with incentive systems for in-game LFG, less downtime between activities. I'm very excited to actually play some.

I kind of liked the powerful criticals some weapons allowed. Hand cannons aren't the same if you have to land 3 to 5 headshots to drop a guy. It made encounters more strategic instead of "hold down the right trigger and keep the reticle on your opponent". I'm reserving judgement though. We'll see.

Highly unlikely. That bugs me too. They announced three new(ish) subclasses, and you're resetting everything anyway, why not just build those three subclasses into another class instead of changing three existing ones (RIP Bladedancer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom