• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

ethomaz

Banned
Eurogamer "First Impressions" - If you didn't love the first Destiny, its sequel won't do much to convert you. (Full Review to follow after the raid next week)

Pretty much what I expected.

If you loved Destiny enough to keep playing it until now you'll probably love Destiny 2, if you didn't love Destiny that much then there's probably not much here for you.
Well the ideia to have drastic changes in a winning formula makes me confused. Maybe it is hard to EG understand Destiny fans wanted more Destiny and not somethings else.

From what I played Bungie nailed Destiny 2... they deserves all respect from what they archived with the sequel.

Destiny 2 was made to have absolutely success... not create a new franchise.

So glad I am holding off on this game. The 2 betas showed me the new loadout system is not for me, and reading all the news and stuff about "consumables" is not swaying me in the least. The biggest temptation to me so far was the Newegg deal (controller and game, $75), and so far everything I have seen in response from Bungie mirrors their D1 mentality; this is not a good thing to note.

I am sure the game is TEH AWESOME~!, but I am tired of Activision/Bungie money whoring. Just do not want to deal with it anymore, so that means I have to take that upon myself and keep trusting my gut from all the things I see and hear. Seriously, long time Bungie followers know that waiting for the "weekly update" for Bungie to say ANYTHING is a fruitless endeavor. People should stop counting on that; it never happens and they have had years with D1 to change that mentality and still have not.

BigEmil

All these reviewers got a free Destiny Collectors Bribery edition right ?

Anything for Activision to score some extra free points in score and text review

It is the "Luke Smith and Chiplotle" Edition; it comes with a bag of questionable burritos and a list of bad design decisions from D1 that are presented like your "veterans tribute" screens from D2 (and available only as a one time use DLC code inside this edition).

gatti-man

So glad I am holding off on this game. The 2 betas showed me the new loadout system is not for me, and reading all the news and stuff about "consumables" is not swaying me in the least. The biggest temptation to me so far was the Newegg deal (controller and game, $75), and so far everything I have seen in response from Bungie mirrors their D1 mentality; this is not a good thing to note.

I am sure the game is TEH AWESOME~!, but I am tired of Activision/Bungie money whoring. Just do not want to deal with it anymore, so that means I have to take that upon myself and keep trusting my gut from all the things I see and hear. Seriously, long time Bungie followers know that waiting for the "weekly update" for Bungie to say ANYTHING is fruitless endeavor. People should stop counting on that; it never happens and they have had years with D1 to change that mentality and still have not.

The beta isn't a good representation of the final game. It plays really well.

If you don't like loot crate BS that much I don't blame you though. It's super annoying. But the game itself is great.

I played the first Destiny hundreds of hours, but at the same time I am disappointed we may never see the scope and size of what that game was supposed to be. People (me included) enjoyed the gunplay, so they stuck by despite the "bullshit" (I eventually quit) because the base was really fun. Now they can continue doing the same more or less, adding stuff and changing stuff but without touching the core which was supposed to be drastically different. I am not too interested in continuing this path, maybe I'll pick it up for sale for story's sake, but as it stands it doesn't invite me much. Work on the scale, AI, mission variety, also the game's progression system - that's when I'd come back.

On a side note, I hope enough reviewers call them out on the MTs that accompany expensive DLCs. Perhaps losing a couple points on Metacritic will do something? Maybe not?

ethomaz

Banned

I am sure the game is TEH AWESOME~!, but I am tired of Activision/Bungie money whoring. Just do not want to deal with it anymore, so that means I have to take that upon myself and keep trusting my gut from all the things I see and hear. Seriously, long time Bungie followers know that waiting for the "weekly update" for Bungie to say ANYTHING is fruitless endeavor. People should stop counting on that; it never happens and they have had years with D1 to change that mentality and still have not.
If that helps I hated the new weapon loadout in the Beta but it makes sense and works pretty well in the final game for PVP... you shot normal enemies with non-elemental gun and fast switch to elemental gun to break shielded enemies.

That is a good change for PVE... in D1 you had to go in menu to change your weapon and now you can switch on the fly to kill enemies in Nightfall for example.

Works pretty well.

Dirtbag

Presentation and campaign are 10x the original.

Gameplay wise though, man its boring with the grenade and weapon slot changes.
It feels so heavy and sluggish coming off of Overwatch too.

6/10 if I'm being honest.

After coming off Farpoint and Arizona Sunshine in VR, It's a sudden drop in fun playing Destiny 2 for me and a friend. Whether that is because VR is alot more immersive or D2 is just more of the same with nothing new to add who knows.

All i know is we didnt want Farpoint or Arizona to end, Already in D2 we skip cutscenes and cant be bothered to play it.

Nokterian

Eurogamer "First Impressions" - If you didn't love the first Destiny, its sequel won't do much to convert you. (Full Review to follow after the raid next week)

If you loved Destiny enough to keep playing it until now you'll probably love Destiny 2, if you didn't love Destiny that much then there's probably not much here for you.

Yeah good thing i will let this pass, since i do not see anything that is innovating or why they even bothered to slap a 2 on it.

First really useful review I saw. Everything else just seemed like it was written specifically for Destiny fans... I kinda enjoyed first Destiny, but it looks like there's absolutely no reason for me to even trying D2 until sometime 18 months from now...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So...reviews range from 80% to 95% so far...there's one negative first impression piece and people go full "Yep, I knew it'd suck!"

Majora

So...reviews range from 80% to 95% so far...there's one negative first impression piece and people go full "Yep, I knew it'd suck!"

It's not a negative piece, it's a piece looking at the game from the viewpoint of a player who maybe didn't love the first game. That makes it a valuable viewpoint for people who weren't keen on the first game. Not all impression pieces or reviews should come from people who loved earlier games in the series, since that would make them inherently useless to the segment of the audience that didn't like the previous games.

jviggy43

That review wasn't all that negative. It just said there isn't a lot of really new features that would bring skeptics and casuals on board and it seems the people who fit that description are using it as their own confirmation for themselves. Even the better reviews have stated as much. Don't think any of that is even a negative either as most fans just wanted more anyway.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Majority of people playing this game are loving it.

And I can't even say I agree that much with the review. Destiny 2 is doing a hell of a lot of new things. The QOL changes are immense

Trace

Banned
That review wasn't all that negative. It just said there isn't a lot of really new features that would bring skeptics and casuals on board and it seems the people who fit that description are using it as their own confirmation for themselves. Even the better reviews have stated as much. Don't think any of that is even a negative either as most fans just wanted more anyway.

It wasn't going to go from a loot shooter with some of the best feeling gunplay in the business to an open world action RPG no matter how much NeoGAF complained about it.

JonnyKong

No official review as such, but over on the Metro site tonight they said this in reply to a letter,

As someone who has never played Destiny how essential is Destiny 2 as a game?
Matt Kirk.
GC: It’s essentially just like the last game. We’ll have a full review next week.

They awarded Destiny 7/10

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

The Eurogamer article?? I thought it was quite fair and measured.

edit: oops, nvm. Misread.

Yeah good thing i will let this pass, since i do not see anything that is innovating or why they even bothered to slap a 2 on it.

There's no way Bungie would keep working on Destiny 1 forever, especially with its limits

Going in to a sequel was the right choice.

Its not the end of the world if you didn't like Destiny.

jviggy43

It wasn't going to go from a loot shooter with some of the best feeling gunplay in the business to an open world action RPG no matter how much NeoGAF complained about it.

Thats a very specific example that I didn't say anything about, nor did the review in question so I'm not sure why you think taking a hypothetical position to its extreme end is somehow usurping the point in question that the sequel made mostly QoL improvements. Which again, almost everyone seems to be happy about except for those on the fence anyway.

BashNasty

The art direction during the campaign already elevates Destiny 2 well above the original. I'm only about halfway through and I've already seen so many amazing environments.

I loved the original Destiny and thought it had great art direction as well, but the sequel really elevates things. Honestly, even if you're not into all the other things Destiny does, I'd say Destiny 2 is worth it just to play through the campaign and each strike once (if the quality of the strike I played during the PC beta is representative of all of them). Just that will get you about 12-14 hours of really high quality shooter gameplay.

Razorskin

----- ------
There's no way Bungie would keep working on Destiny 1 forever, especially with its limits

It was probably worth it just to stop having to support PS3/Xbox360

Gator86

I'm 13 or so hours in, just about done with the story although I've done a ton of side stuff, and it feels like an 8/10 to me. It improves on a lot of the obvious failings of D1, but it doesn't feel especially new outside of the immense QOL changes. Samey guns, same enemies, same skills, etc.

I expect the metacritic to settle somewhere around 85-90. With the lack of character customization and non-randomized loot, I can see a lot of people tiring of this quicker than D1.

Nokterian

I played the beta and to me it didn't feel any different from the first one and not even looked different either down to the UI it all looked the same.

No official review as such, but over on the Metro site tonight they said this in reply to a letter,

As someone who has never played Destiny how essential is Destiny 2 as a game?
Matt Kirk.
GC: It’s essentially just like the last game. We’ll have a full review next week.

They awarded Destiny 7/10

Between this and EG, seems I'm not missing out on much as a non-Destiny 1 fan.

gatti-man

I'm 13 or so hours in, just about done with the story although I've done a ton of side stuff, and it feels like an 8/10 to me. It improves on a lot of the obvious failings of D1, but it doesn't feel especially new outside of the immense QOL changes. Samey guns, same enemies, same skills, etc.

I expect the metacritic to settle somewhere around 85-90. With the lack of character customization and non-randomized loot, I can see a lot of people tiring of this quicker than D1.

I didn't start finding cool weapons until lvl 20. There is way more here than D1

Gator86

I didn't start finding cool weapons until lvl 20. There is way more here than D1

Enh, I've been 20 for a handful of hours. The legendaries and exotics are definitely more interesting than the blander stuff leveling up, but I haven't seen anything mind-blowing yet. Like I said, it all feels pretty samey.

Not trying to derail with my arguing my personal review or something, but yeah, the mid 80s meta is what I'm expecting/seems fair for the game.

benzopil

Gadgets 360 -- 7/10
At the moment, Destiny 2 does a fantastic job of improving on the strengths of the original game along with bringing some new additions to the table. However, not all of these are good or warranted, marring what could have been a perfect sequel.

They still think it's pay-to-win because of items with stats lul

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

It's largely people simply trying to validate their purchase decisions whether they were actually considering buying it, never had any intention of buying it (so kind of trolling) or even people who are kids or can't afford it so chose to highlight a negative review to again make themselves feel better about missing out.

It's exactly the same in every single review thread. Most of the people who have the game are having too much fun playing it to sit in review threads all day arguing about it lol.

It's largely people simply trying to validate their purchase decisions whether they were actually considering buying it, never had any intention of buying it (so kind of trolling) or even people who are kids or can't afford it so chose to highlight a negative review to again make themselves feel better about missing out.

It's exactly the same in every single review thread. Most of the people who have the game are having too much fun playing it to sit in review threads all day arguing about it lol.

You do realize it's true on both sides? :) People who skipped the game try to justify that they skipped it and people who defend the game try to justify their purchase.

Not everything has to be a conspiracy theory though. Eurogamer article is the first review that I personally found useful. I played through Destiny 1, got Taken King and in spots enjoyed the experience, but I never played with friends and never got through a single raid. For me it was a question if I should jump in. And unlike other articles Eurogamer one addresses my needs the best. (Also the cost is not even an issue for me, I rent games on Gamefly)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Anything for Activision to score some extra free points in score and text review

This happens for pretty much every game review, trying hard much there.

Glad it's getting great reviews and deservedly so: it's everything I wanted D1 to be from the get-go; and it's only in vanilla...so much content to come :)

MrBenchmark

Not sure if right place I've been balls deep playing and haven't looked. Is there slow down on the major public events on all systems? PS4/pro like there is in Xbox one S? Like massive single digit frame rates when all hell is breaking loose while guarding the glimmer. Or is this a Xbox only issue and hopefully the. One X also fixes this.

Thoughts? Thanks

Well the ideia to have drastic changes in a winning formula makes me confused. Maybe it is hard to EG understand Destiny fans wanted more Destiny and not somethings else.

From what I played Bungie nailed Destiny 2... they deserves all respect from what they archived with the sequel.

Destiny 2 was made to have absolutely success... not create a new franchise.

Every sequel should advance and evvolve the previous game, not be more of the same. Not "drastic changes", but changes nontheless. Evolution, a reason to exist as a sequel, not repeating the previous effort.

JonnyKong

Not sure if right place I've been balls deep playing and haven't looked. Is there slow down on the major public events on all systems? PS4/pro like there is in Xbox one S? Like massive single digit frame rates when all hell is breaking loose while guarding the glimmer. Or is this a Xbox only issue and hopefully the. One X also fixes this.

Thoughts? Thanks

You're probably better off asking this in the OT for the game.

Top Bottom