• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

I'm not jumping into another Day 1 after the shitshow that was Destiny 1's vanilla launch, but by the time the PC release will be out there should be a clear picture on the state of the game.

Jamiaro

I'm not jumping into another Day 1 after the shitshow that was Destiny 1's vanilla launch, but by the time the PC release will be out there should be a clear picture on the state of the game.

This. Better to wait for those who are on the fence. The burn was real in D1.

Think of it as 1st person Diablo. The story is a non-factor.

Not even close to Diablo. More like a traditional MMO but insanely limited. Path of Exile is leagues ahead if you want to talk about Diablo, but Destiny is casual enough to be more popular.

Kane1345

Looking good but I'll wait till definitive reviews are out. My concerns are about end game content and longevity which won't be known for a while yet. Fortunately if I get this it will be on PC so there's plenty of time to formulate an opinion

Krabboss

Not even close to Diablo. More like a traditional MMO but insanely limited. Path of Exile is leagues ahead if you want to talk about Diablo, but Destiny is casual enough to be more popular.
Any loot game is going to be ahead of Destiny in loot, since Destiny isn't really a loot game. I don't think Destiny is more popular than PoE because it's more casual, they're just different games. Destiny does have a broad appeal that allows it to hit an audience that wouldn't touch a game like FFXIV, though.

Cobalt03

“Now that I’ve spent too many words kind of trashing it, let me tell you: Destiny 2 is better than D1, which I loved, and so I love Destiny 2 even more; I absolutely cannot wait to get back to playing it. I don’t actually care about any of the things I’ve complained about. I’m going to put hundreds of hours into this stupid game, shooting things and watching my numbers go up.“

This is what's wrong with gamers.

Um....maybe wrong hobby for you?

rezn0r

If you didn't like it that's fine, but seriously, you're coming across as a gigantic twat with how you're talking about people who actually enjoyed the game. Grow up.

No you're wrong, we're all cowardly pussies for not standing up to big mean Bungie, we should've been choosing to march with pitchforks instead of having fun with a game that... we thought was fun.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm curious when/if how many of these sites will update with proper reviews once they finish the current content.

N30RYU

Gold Member
It's the end game what I'm afraid of... if it's all left wih random loot like the first one locking you out if you don't have luck

I guess lore counts as bullshit. So when Bungie said the lore wouldn't be restricted to the app anymore what they actually meant was they removed it altogether.

[TW]Stone;248095571 said:
I'm hearing endgame is not great. ppl got to endgame already? :)

Of course they did!

Its Destiny

Still hitting end game in 24 hours... thats insane

Didnt they say the campaign was at least around 80 missions?

Tovarisc

Gothalion (biiig Destiny streamer) has been farming endgame for... 8? hours total and having blast. He sees this as huge improvement from Destiny 1. And been doing only first Patrol zone (EDZ).

So I imagine your mileage varies and depends a lot on how high your expectations were.

Didnt they say the campaign was at least around 80 missions?

No. They said they will launch with 80 PvE activities, including campaign.

ethomaz

Banned
End game content is when Destiny start to me.

I could love to have accelerators to bring my two alt chars to end game in a single go.

Kremzeek

The raid isn't even available yet right?

Raid is available in 1 week.
How any site could possibly give a 'review' until then is just really really shady.

Bravo to any site (like Kotaku) who states they will just give impressions and hold off on a review until the raid.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
There will be complaints and backlash. People will claim there will be not enough content from individuals that power level up to the end game as quickly as possible. There will be a grind as it's inherent in the MMO genre

As long as people understand the type of game they're jumping in on and bungee can mix it up enough to not get too stale too quickly it should be fine

They'd have to not build it around the vaults to keep it from getting stale.

Trickster

How any site could possibly give a 'review' until then is just really really shady.

Bravo to any site (like Kotaku) who states they will just give impressions and hold off on a review until the raid.

Review the game while making it clear that it's a review without having played the raid, and that they will update the review once the raid is out.

Holding off on reviews until all content that Bungie themselves decide to lock behind a timed gate is in my view a worse outcome than doing it in the above mentioned way

benzopil

Nobody gave this game a review, all of them a reviews in progress.

SgtCobra

Biggest part of the endgame are the weekly activities including raid, nightfall, trials and other PvP events. Doubt they've done enough to come to that conclusion.

xviper

Destiny 1 is one of those VERY RARE games that the media and critics slammed it and yet it rise up and slapped the shit out of the media and criticism because it's so damn good and addictive as hell

so no matter what Destiny 2 score is, it won't do shit to it's popularity because the player base already know how amazing this game is

MORTALIS

Game is fun. I have no one to blame but myself.

Took a leap of faith on day 1 which I swore off after ME Andromeda, no regrets.... yet.

Zen Aku

Destiny 1 is one of those VERY RARE games that the media and critics slammed it and yet it rise up and slapped the shit out of the media and criticism because it's so damn good and addictive as hell

so no matter what Destiny 2 score is, it won't do shit to it's popularity because the player base already know how amazing this game is
Lol this post read like Stockholm syndrome.

RedAssedApe

Banned

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are exotics still rng and stuff?
For the most part yes, but they're tied to things like completing milestones and drop more frequently than in D1 (in response to people going all of D1 without ever seeing an exotic). Do many milestones and you'll eventually get an exotic.

Wouldn't be surprised if they had some system in there that made at least a first drop a lot more likely.

VertPin

Didn't play Destiny 1, thought it was a massive meme. Is 2 worth getting? Saw five five minutes of gameplay on twitch and it looked
really fun, especially when the hero was third person perspective using a flame gun. Kinda reminded me of Ratchet and Clank gunplay lmfao.

Can it be played solo? Is the story actually a thing? Is there a real campaign? How long is the game?

Kinda interested.

LordofPwn

I was disappointed by the beta but with 4.5 hours into the full game I can say it's the best 4.5 hours I've had with Destiny that wasn't a raid or crucible with friends. These story missions and patrol areas are amazing. Destiny 2 (right now) feels like a sequel to the game Destiny 1 should have been. Im excited to see what they throw at us with the Raid.

Didn't play Destiny 1, thought it was a massive meme. Is 2 worth getting? Saw five five minutes of gameplay on twitch and it looked
really fun, especially when the hero was third person perspective using a flame gun. Kinda reminded me of Ratchet and Clank gunplay lmfao.

Can it be played solo? Is the story actually a thing? Is there a real campaign? How long is the game?

Kinda interested.

Yes, for the most part. Yes. Yes. We don't know yet/depends if you're interested in raiding.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Is the only thing you don't like about it that it is too good?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

"The end result of this, is that our opponents, the media, and the whole world will soon see as we begin to continue our journey, that the powers of Destiny are very substantial and will not be questioned!"

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
> I played 20 hours of Destiny 2 and it's everything fans have been asking for

Like a campaign with a compelling story?

Still disappointed that this game seems so light on interesting narrative

Hell I'm only about 4 hours in and enjoying the story way more than the entirity of D1. I actually care about the characters and what happens now.

I don't know what the rest of it is like and I doubt it's mind blowing or perfect but it's a million times better than D1.

xviper

Is the only thing you don't like about it that it is too good?

what are you smoking ?

perhaps you read my first 8 hours impression of Destiny 2, let me explain again in case it was too hard to understand

i'll try to simplify it, Destiny story missions are bad, Destiny END-game content like Raid and Nightfall is a MASTERPIECE

GhaleonEB

I think this is backward. Destiny got mostly middling reviews at launch, but the critics correctly pointed out that it had a solid foundation amidst major flaws. Flaws in story, player progression and investment, mission design, and so on. But Bungie nailed the foundational gameplay and world building, and that foundation proved solid enough that players stuck around. They stuck around while Bungie addressed the issues through updates and expansions and generally did a great job supporting the game and building on that foundation.

The media and critics noted this improvement over time.

Now D2 seems to be taking all that and baking it into the baseline game, and then some.

The game survived, and thrived, because Bungie responded to criticism, from the media, fans and themselves - not despite it.

anothertech

'It's Destiny, without all the bullshit'

Is a good description. They fixed story elements, made sure everyone gets some good loot and exotics, and made open world content actually a thing. There's ALOT more to this game than D1 even with the expansions.

The Emotional side of the game with memorable characters and music that fits the narrative is on another level. All with the same or better gameplay and satisfying shooter mechanics. It's a winner.

D1 is night and day from 2...you have nothing to fear
They fixed what was wrong and added more content.its immensely better at launch.

norm9

I guess lore counts as bullshit. So when Bungie said the lore wouldn't be restricted to the app anymore what they actually meant was they removed it altogether.

Looking all over the options, I couldn't find any way to check my old mission log because I keep feeling like I'm missing part of the story. Why is there no lore or log?

what are you smoking ?

perhaps you read my first 8 hours impression of Destiny 2, let me explain again in case it was too hard to understand

i'll try to simplify it, Destiny story missions are bad, Destiny END-game content like Raid and Nightfall is a MASTERPIECE
I read a few of your posts and you seem to hate everything. They ate far from bad.

ethomaz

Banned

No review site reviewed the game yet... everybody is saying they will wait the Raid.

That is how it should be.

xviper

I think this is backward. Destiny got mostly middling reviews at launch, but the critics correctly pointed out that it had a solid foundation amidst major flaws. Flaws in story, player progression and investment, mission design, and so on. But Bungie nailed the foundational gameplay and world building, and that foundation proved solid enough that players stuck around. They stuck around while Bungie addressed the issues through updates and expansions and generally did a great job supporting the game and building on that foundation.

Now D2 seems to be taking all that and baking it into the baseline game, and then some.

The game survived, and thrived, because Bungie responded to criticism, from the media, fans and themselves - not despite it.

the reviews pointed out that it was a disappointment, especially the Youtube reviews from famous reviewers such as Angryjoe

even after it was released you always see a lot of people saying that Destiny was one of the most disappointing games they played

but that didn't take away the playerbase, those who played it's End-game content know what Destiny really is, i think those who thought it was a disappointed are the ones who only played the story missions and expected something like Halo

like you said, Destiny 1 survived the criticism, and it improved a lot from release, but most games that get criticized at release, die very quickly no matter how good they are, Titanfall 1 is a good example of an amazing game that got criticize and died because of it, but Destiny 1 survived and that is very rare to happen in this generation

and pretty sure if the same criticism happened again to Destiny 2, it won't affect it's playerbase, especially to those who played Destiny 1 End-game content

Zen Aku

He's not wrong though. D1 reviewed poorly, but still hooked a ton of players, myself included.
No, he's wrong though. What Ghaleon said below is what really happened.

GhaleonEB

the reviews pointed out that it was a disappointment, especially the Youtube reviews from famous reviewers such as Angryjoe

even after it was released you always see a lot of people saying that Destiny was one of the most disappointing games they played

but that didn't take away the playerbase, those who played it's End-game content know what Destiny really is, i think those who thought it was a disappointed are the ones who only played the story missions and expected something like Halo

like you said, Destiny 1 survived the criticism, and it improved a lot from release, but most games that get criticized at release, die very quickly no matter how good they are, Titanfall 1 is a good example of an amazing game that got criticize and died because of it, but Destiny 1 survived and that is very rare to happen in this generation

and pretty sure if the same criticism happened again to Destiny 2, it won't affect it's playerbase, especially to those who played Destiny 1 End-game content

It sounds like you are looking at this from a fairly binary lens. Destiny got criticism, Destiny survived criticism.

Well, sure. But the critics weren't wrong. Most reviews said the game was fun, and with great gameplay, and then pointed out the various flaws. For some they mattered a lot, for some the gameplay was strong enough and they were more positive.

Fans had the same spectrum of reaction. (As did I.) Ultimately the gameplay proved good enough to keep players around while the surrounding game got better. I don't think we really disagree, but I also don't think it's as simple as "Destiny survived the criticism", unless the only element of the criticsm you consider are review scores. There Destiny did do much better than they would imply. But the actual criticisms were, by and large, on the mark. My point was the game did well because Bungie agreed, recognized it, and course-corrected. (No one at Bungie was satisfied with what they shipped.)

So, I've been aboard the hype train for awhile, but decided to wait for the PC launch.
I figured this lets me see what it's really like after the hype dies down and people start being honest when the newness wears off.

My best friend's kid bought it though, and already beat it in less than a day, and said there's only a few strikes. Which seems a bit low for content, (and sounds a lot like D1 all over again).

For those who've played, is there at least more to do than D1?

Top Bottom