• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2s monetization is really greedy

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
To be honest I felt burned on destiny 1 and the promise of GaaS, only to see it got a sequel.

Bungie has apparently said that destiny 2 will be the main game without sequels, which got me interested.

But getting into the game is really a cluster fuck. The game doesn't really tell you which content is most important now. But AFAIK witch Queen is the newest, where beyond light still is a decent point to jump into.

I am seeking a GaaS game I can play between xbox and pc. I know warframe will get it at some point, and as I knew destiny 2 had cross save I thought about finally giving it a proper shot.

Until I found out cross progression is locked behind insane monetization. Season passes are cross progressed, but you need to buy all the expansions on all the platforms you want to play at.

You want to play fortnite save the world? Buy it on one store and have it everywhere.

Theres hundreds of games you can buy and get both the pc and Xbox version of the game for the price of one, why does Bungie need to sell me the same content twice? I already paid for it.

If I were to hazard a guess, it may have less to do with bungie and more to do with the platform holders. I’m not sure Sony would have liked someone playing the game and it’s expansions on their platform without getting their 30% cut from the transaction.

In destiny your battle pass and microtransactions do carry over from one platform to the next, it’s just the expansions specifically that do not. So the fortnite comparison isn’t fully fair as that game does not have large paid expansions like Destiny.

So. I agree that it’s a pain for the consumer, but I suspect that the reason behind this isn’t Bungies greed.

LordCBH

If I were to hazard a guess, it may have less to do with bungie and more to do with the platform holders. I’m not sure Sony would have liked someone playing the game and it’s expansions on their platform without getting their 30% cut from the transaction.

In destiny your battle pass and microtransactions do carry over from one platform to the next, it’s just the expansions specifically that do not. So the fortnite comparison isn’t fully fair as that game does not have large paid expansions like Destiny.

So. I agree that it’s a pain for the consumer, but I suspect that the reason behind this isn’t Bungies greed.

A somewhat comparison is Genshin impacts battle pass. It’s sold for real money, not in game currency, so you can’t claim paid battle pass items on the platform you didn’t pay for the battlepass on.

Another example for D2 is the Dungeon Pass. It’s paid with silver and thus applies to your account instead of the platform.

The_Mike

If I were to hazard a guess, it may have less to do with bungie and more to do with the platform holders
But I got fortnite save the world on al platform despite buying it on xbox store.

So it is Bungie decision.
You have to buy the expansions on each platform because you pay directly through the console makers store front. If they charged silver for expansions instead they’d be cross platform buys.
Nothing is holding them back for make people do that then. That would be very consumer friendly.

Cornbread78

As a D2 addict that plays on both consoles, I hate it, but with cross-play active now, I'm sure the number of people adverse/affected by it are very small...

I ave a ton of hours in Destiny 2, but never played the first one. Besides the constant grind, what turned me off was the $40 annual expansion plus having to pay for each season to get access to content. Coupled with them sunsetting weapons, dungeons, planets and Raids and I had enough. Also, lets not forget the Eververse cosmetic money farm.

They could also easily make it crossplatform progression and a buy it on console and you have it on PC model, but they are greedy af.

I had fun with it while it lasted, but eventually got sick of Bungie's BS. Also, funny how a lot of it was blamed ABK, only to have the same crap continue when they became independent (again). Same shit will continue under Sony or maybe even be worse.

AllBizness

Banned
I figure you just download the free to play game and when you finish that content download the latest expansion. It's not rocket science

reinking

Gold Member
Did Sony own Bungie when these decisions were made?

The_Mike

As a D2 addict that plays on both consoles, I hate it, but with cross-play active now, I'm sure the number of people adverse/affected by it are very small...
Why? I could imagine there's still people who want to play it on both platforms.
You're talking like what Bungie is doing isn't the norm. Yeah, expansions typically aren't cross-buy
Well, here a minor list where you get both a PC and Xbox version. There's plenty of other games as well :

Ark
Mortal kombat 11
Gang beasts
Subnautica
Human fall flat
Tabs
Slime rancher
Disneyland
Hades
Ticket to ride
Tmnt shredders revenge
The forgotten City
Hollow Knight
Super liminal
Resident Evil 7
Marvel guardian of the galaxy
Spirit farer
Deep rock galactica
Shadow of war
Scorn
Two point campus
Back 4 blood
Hello neighbor
Aliens fireteam
No it was a decision by Bungie.

I highly doubt Sony will change it.

reinking

Gold Member
Of course they are not going to leave that money on the table. Why would they?

I am no fan of GAAS games. Even the ones I buy I typically bounce once the money treadmill starts. Desitny 2 was no exception.

LordCBH

Why? I could imagine there's still people who want to play it on both platforms.

Well, here a minor list where you get both a PC and Xbox version. There's plenty of other games as well :

Ark
Mortal kombat 11
Gang beasts
Subnautica
Human fall flat
Tabs
Slime rancher
Disneyland
Hades
Ticket to ride
Tmnt shredders revenge
The forgotten City
Hollow Knight
Super liminal
Resident Evil 7
Marvel guardian of the galaxy
Spirit farer
Deep rock galactica
Shadow of war
Scorn
Two point campus
Back 4 blood
Hello neighbor
Aliens fireteam

No it was a decision by Bungie.

Not seeing anywhere where the industry wide standard is “buy Xbox copy get windows copy”.

The_Mike

Can I get enough out of the games just getting seasons, or do you need expansions to get the most out of the game?

All of this is pre Sony. We haven’t seen any changes to monetization strategies since they took over. It’ll be interesting to see what changes now that they have the budget and support from Sony.

I expect some of those PlayStation exclusive content perks will come back but.. who knows.

Strange title for a game that does something 99% of other games do. I have to think some bias is at play when you bring up Bungie being greedy when there's so many games that are pay 2 win (Destiny is not)

If you buy a game on one platform, that does not entitle you to the game on other platforms you own. Otherwise the Switch for instance would have most of their games bought on Steam

Last edited:

Uiki

I don't know about greedy.. i pay 60 bucks to have an expansion and a year of content. Seems pretty good to me.

It was pretty okay in year one (and even year two). Just by playing and leveling up, you got bright engram which contained all eververse items and had knock-out mechanic.

It was when Bungie parted Activision and became independent publisher that the MTX got worse and worse.

While I don't buy it, it's understandable that they need more money to self sustain. The game contents were not bad .

Now they are owned by Sony I hope that they won't need to be aggressive on MTX for financial reasons. But who knows, Sony is not the snow-white either.

manfestival

I ave a ton of hours in Destiny 2, but never played the first one. Besides the constant grind, what turned me off was the $40 annual expansion plus having to pay for each season to get access to content. Coupled with them sunsetting weapons, dungeons, planets and Raids and I had enough. Also, lets not forget the Eververse cosmetic money farm.

They could also easily make it crossplatform progression and a buy it on console and you have it on PC model, but they are greedy af.

I had fun with it while it lasted, but eventually got sick of Bungie's BS. Also, funny how a lot of it was blamed ABK, only to have the same crap continue when they became independent (again). Same shit will continue under Sony or maybe even be worse.
Yeah I totally feel that. You would think that they would be just a hair more generous considering that they are already asking for money with expansions and what not. What I mean is that the battle pass be more along the lines like other games where they offer a bit more dollar currency accompanied with the battle pass. Usually this is a win/win for the devs to begin with. However, Bungie is the greediest

Can I get enough out of the games just getting seasons, or do you need expansions to get the most out of the game?
I forget the breakdown, but the expansion plus the season passes are $60 yearly if you purchase at MSRP.

Expansions provide you the bulk of the content, seasons have been relatively hit-or-miss. Certain seasons have interesting loot rewards that fundamentally alter the game (in PvE usually for the better, in PvP usually for the worse), but Bungie started retiring certain weapons beginning with Beyond Light due to the weapons being too powerful and proving problematic to the design intentions for end-game activities.

SnapShot

The worst thing about Destiny 2 is the content vaulting, you spend so much money and time grinding for shit only for it to be taken away in a matter of moments whenever their next big update hits. I mean, don't get me wrong the game itself can still be fun but it makes you wonder why waste all that time buying and grinding for content that could be taken away from you the next day.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Yet another reason why we need to boycott GAAS games completely. It’s ruining gaming as a whole. The only way to stop it is to stop buying these games (or even downloading the ftp ones such as D2). While I know this is a stretch, because apparently people like trash, it’s the only way to save gaming as we know it….otherwise shit will be a complete trash fall within 10 years. I promise you, bookmark it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This last expansion is the 1st in destiny history I have only bought on one platform…

Them taking away shit tons of content that we paid a lot of money for is the lowest of the low that I've seen in the past 20 years of gaming. Some of the content that they "vaulted" was barely even 2 years old (Mars and Mercuty). I lost all hope for gamers and gaming companies after this. Destiny owners were the biggest sack of sheep when it came to vaulting. No pushback and Bungie had everyone someone convinced this was what the game "needed".

I don't know about greedy.. i pay 60 bucks to have an expansion and a year of content. Seems pretty good to me.
Funny because I paid over $140 for content I was supposed to have PERMANENTLY (prior to vaulting ever being a thing) only for them to literally just take, some of which we "owned" for less than 2 YEARS (Mars and Mercury).

That'd right, if you bought all D2 content at launch it came out to about $140 of vaulted content before we knew vaulting would happen. It's probably close to $200 worth of our $ that's been vaulted by now....

Have they even made good on their promises of rotating back into the game the stuff they removed? I don't feel like they have done that either. I'm hoping somehow Sony can reverse this vaulting bullshit but I know they won't.

Uiki

Funny because I paid over $140 for content I was supposed to have PERMANENTLY (prior to vaulting ever being a thing) only for them to literally just take, some of which we "owned" for less than 2 YEARS (Mars and Mercury).

That'd right, if you bought all D2 content at launch it came out to about $140 of vaulted content before we knew vaulting would happen. It's probably close to $200 worth of our $ that's been vaulted by now....

Have they even made good on their promises of rotating back into the game the stuff they removed? I don't feel like they have done that either. I'm hoping somehow Sony can reverse this vaulting bullshit but I know they won't.
I don't really give a shit for the stuff they took away. The can take away nessus and edz as well if it's getting replaced by new stuff like tw, europa or leviathan. Leaving them in-game in that stat is pretty much wasted space.. there's no reason to go there ever, they are not updated to the current game and it's pretty evident as soon as you land on them. I used the content for thousands of hours and I was never the owner anyway.

They can "port" strikes and raids and revamp the whole vanguard playlist utilizing stuff from the past/season activities... that I'm mad they are so slow in doing it. Plus, strikes are also kinda useless right now. They have a perfectly working system in d1 and never utilized it in d2.

The real problem is marketing the game as "buying" stuff. Just say "pay 60 bucks/year for a service" and be done with it.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
There is so much I love about Destiny, but I can't let myself 'buy in' (monetarily and time) for similar reasons as the OP.
  • The game is almost impenetrable to anyone starting out or even returning after a hiatus.
  • The fact that it is not possible to share content purchases between platform (for a GaaS) is lame. Hopefully they are working on this, especially now Sony owns them, so they will get their money regardless of platform.
  • The obnoxious attitude of Bungie towards the use of Proton / Steam Deck
  • The 'vaulting' of content that you have previously purchased
There are solutions to all of these things, and if they don't sort them out, the game won't be able to grow over time and will be surpassed by those that do.

I agree with others that they should just have some kind of payment for the service as a whole and you just get everything that is live at that point on all platforms, no worrying about what you have to buy or where you bought it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
All of this is pre Sony. We haven’t seen any changes to monetization strategies since they took over. It’ll be interesting to see what changes now that they have the budget and support from Sony.

I expect some of those PlayStation exclusive content perks will come back but.. who knows.
Hope they just make all expansions 'free' with PS+ and let people associate their PS+ with their Bungie account and enjoy it free on any platform (if those platforms allow it).

Outlier

The more pressing question is where is Destiny 3? This series in nearly 10 years old and there's only two games. Did big developers even WANT to make games anymore or just money?

Uiki

The more pressing question is where is Destiny 3? This series in nearly 10 years old and there's only two games. Did big developers even WANT to make games anymore or just money?
There's a pretty detailed plan about what's gonna happen in the next years to destiny and bungie, if you are curious.

Plus, they are gonna go more in depth about that in 4 days.

Then play something else with less intrusive business models. Bungie is a company like any other and they seek to maximize profits, not get upvotes on Reddit. There's plenty of competition to choose from. If I was a business owner, I'd milk all of you weak willed people for every penny you got too. At the end of the day, gaming is a business first and foremost. Being "greedy" is the point. These business models work because the market is reacting positively to them.

CuNi

I liked D2 and it's universe so I really stuck and swallowed the greed-pill until right before Witch Queen.
The Announcement that Dungeons weren't included in the Seasons anymore but had to be bought seperately or in this 130€ Deluxe Edition already had me on edge.
But then came their 30th anniversary.

I had the Season Pass for Beyond Light and on the last season, the one before Witch Queen, they celebrated Bungies 30th anniversary.
They released a themed Dungeon and multiplayer activities... for which you had to pay 25€, that's like being invited to a birthday, but you have to pay to enter.
That, was the last straw of greed for me and I dropped the game ever since.

Yes, I am somewhat sad because I made good friends through the game and I had exceptional fun at times and I am missing it.
But the price to pay and the time just spend grinding really really wasn't justifiable anymore for me so I stopped.

Godot25

Banned
Yes it is.
I stopped playing D2 this year because of it. After 6 years.
When I found out that they are charging separate purchase to access two dungeons.

In a game, that charges every year for expansion...
...that has a store full of microtransaction...
...that has paid expiring Battle Passes that couldn't even get you a silver value back after you complete it...
...that even had paid "celebration" in middle of last year...

All while PvP in that game is terrible and support is literally non-existent and Gambit is even worse offender. And of course DCV that is yanking content from game that then Bungo resells to the players later (Leviathan in Season of the Haunted).

And the "funny" thing is that D2 is so unwelcoming to the lapsed/new players, that there is huge chance that I will never go back to this game.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Maybe I am suffering from having played Warframe as my first GaaS.

Game isnt Cross progression/cross save yet, but they have announced it will come. Literally everything in the game can be farmed for free.

ALL expansions/dlcs/updates are free, you dont have to pay anything for new content.
Weapons and warframes can be traded, so you can get them for free if you grind.

I just wanted to play an alternative game, that was a bit more casual and slow paced, but I just cant support the greed of Bungie.

The reason I compare it to Destiny 2, is because I really think that Destiny 2 and Warframe are really the only GaaS games that can be compared.

Destiny 2 makes season passes platform wide, so I dont see why expansions couldnt be.

purchased skins batttle passes etc are all account shared between all platforms no matter where you bought them.
The Save The World single player component, which is a base game that costs money, is account wide across all platforms.
There really is no excuse other than greed. It is not the different platforms decision, it is Bungie's alone.

CoD Mw19 is my favorite CoD by far, and while it had cross progression I also hated you actually had to buy the game two times. Hopefully Microsoft changes that, or at least it doesnt matter if you have GP by then.

Not seeing anywhere where the industry wide standard is “buy Xbox copy get windows copy”.
Didnt say it was the standard, but I did expect it from a GaaS game, you know, for being pro consumer and not force people to buy the same stuff twice.

Yet another reason why we need to boycott GAAS games completely.
Warframe does it perfectly though.

You get all future content for free, and you can literally get anything in the game by grinding.
I have to think some bias is at play when you bring up Bungie being greedy when there's so many games that are pay 2 win (Destiny is not)
Its not about p2w, but having to pay for the same content per platform.

LordCBH

Maybe I am suffering from having played Warframe as my first GaaS.

Game isnt Cross progression/cross save yet, but they have announced it will come. Literally everything in the game can be farmed for free.

ALL expansions/dlcs/updates are free, you dont have to pay anything for new content.
Weapons and warframes can be traded, so you can get them for free if you grind.

I just wanted to play an alternative game, that was a bit more casual and slow paced, but I just cant support the greed of Bungie.

The reason I compare it to Destiny 2, is because I really think that Destiny 2 and Warframe are really the only GaaS games that can be compared.

Destiny 2 makes season passes platform wide, so I dont see why expansions couldnt be.

purchased skins batttle passes etc are all account shared between all platforms no matter where you bought them.
The Save The World single player component, which is a base game that costs money, is account wide across all platforms.
There really is no excuse other than greed. It is not the different platforms decision, it is Bungie's alone.

CoD Mw19 is my favorite CoD by far, and while it had cross progression I also hated you actually had to buy the game two times. Hopefully Microsoft changes that, or at least it doesnt matter if you have GP by then.

Didnt say it was the standard, but I did expect it from a GaaS game, you know, for being pro consumer and not force people to buy the same stuff twice.

Warframe does it perfectly though.

You get all future content for free, and you can literally get anything in the game by grinding.

Its not about p2w, but having to pay for the same content per platform.

So your entire problem is you expected them to follow a model that isn’t standard. Got it. Quit your bitching.

The_Mike

So your entire problem is you expected them to follow a model that isn’t standard. Got it. Quit your bitching.
There aren't many games thar are cross service.

But there's more games following warframe than destiny 2.

Fortnite shares everything across any platform.

Warframe will as well

Smite and rogue company does as well. It seems like destiny 2 is pretty much alone.

If you are so fragile about different opinions then don't click on them instead of bitching about people with a different opinion than you.

LordCBH

There aren't many games thar are cross service.

But there's more games following warframe than destiny 2.

Fortnite shares everything across any platform.

Warframe will as well

Smite and rogue company does as well. It seems like destiny 2 is pretty much alone.

If you are so fragile about different opinions then don't click on them instead of bitching about people with a different opinion than you.

All of your tired bitching and complaining isn’t going to change a model that has been very successful for them when it comes to expansion content. At this point, you ARE bitching just to bitch. Go play something else then.

treemk

Banned
I quit during Shadowkeep, which seemed pretty barebones for an expansion. Whenever I've looked into getting back into it, it seems way too expensive.

kadab

Destiny 2

dancing with the stars television GIF

The Game!

Top Bottom