• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2s monetization is really greedy

SkylineRKR

The worst thing about Destiny 2 is the content vaulting, you spend so much money and time grinding for shit only for it to be taken away in a matter of moments whenever their next big update hits. I mean, don't get me wrong the game itself can still be fun but it makes you wonder why waste all that time buying and grinding for content that could be taken away from you the next day.

Yeah this is really bad. Its like not being able to play Heavensward anymore or something.

When you jump in, its absolutely hilariously bad. And thats from someone who put about 50 hours in Destiny 2 at launch which isn't a lot but its not entirely blind either. Its a huge clusterfuck.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes it is.
I stopped playing D2 this year because of it. After 6 years.
When I found out that they are charging separate purchase to access two dungeons.

In a game, that charges every year for expansion...
...that has a store full of microtransaction...
...that has paid expiring Battle Passes that couldn't even get you a silver value back after you complete it...
...that even had paid "celebration" in middle of last year...

All while PvP in that game is terrible and support is literally non-existent and Gambit is even worse offender. And of course DCV that is yanking content from game that then Bungo resells to the players later (Leviathan in Season of the Haunted).

And the "funny" thing is that D2 is so unwelcoming to the lapsed/new players, that there is huge chance that I will never go back to this game.
I quit too once the slippery slope hit them.

First it was a season pass with an expansion, then they took that away, same price though, then they vaulted stuff but gave us nothing back, then the removed dungeons from seasons passes and made you pay for them separate. It’s silly as hell

Sad part is, I really enjoy the game. It’s fun. But I can’t find enough time to play it enough to justify the expense. If they added the expansions to ps+ extra, I’d buy the seasons passes though

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yeah this is really bad. Its like not being able to play Heavensward anymore or something.

When you jump in, its absolutely hilariously bad. And thats from someone who put about 50 hours in Destiny 2 at launch which isn't a lot but its not entirely blind either. Its a huge clusterfuck.
Wait till they try to resell it to players…

skneogaf

I really enjoyed destiny 2 in the beginning few years but I got sidetracked with work and didn't play for a rew months and they finished the dlc I was on and changed the game that much I'm yet to figure out how to carry on with my character.

I now refuse to play it.

It should be called destiny and have all destiny 1 and 2 content ever made accessible in the order that it all came out, just figure out the levelling to match up for the whole destiny experience.

I'd definitely be interested in that!

LordCBH

I really enjoyed destiny 2 in the beginning few years but I got sidetracked with work and didn't play for a rew months and they finished the dlc I was on and changed the game that much I'm yet to figure out how to carry on with my character.

I now refuse to play it.

It should be called destiny and have all destiny 1 and 2 content ever made accessible in the order that it all came out, just figure out the levelling to match up for the whole destiny experience.

I'd definitely be interested in that!

The main issue is we were supposed to be on a third game by now, but they decided to keep on with D2 once they split with Activision. I DO ABSOLUTELY agree that the monetization is greedy, but not for the reason OP says. Eververse, dungeon passes, event cards, all that. But not having cross buy for expansions isn’t greedy, it’s normal. FF14 does the same thing with expansions.

I don’t like the content vault, I really don’t. I see why it’s there though. The engine for this game is a shambling husk. Now we get patches and fixes pretty quick ever since BL dropped in 2020. Prior to that it took months to get even small changes because of how the game was designed. Interestingly, take one of the exotic guns: Witherhoard. It applies a DOT when you hit an enemy with it. In earlier content, it broke it because the enemies would take the DOT off screen between phases and soft lock the encounters.

IMO, I’d rather have D3 and have D2 continue to exist in its Shadowkeep state from its final season that year, but I also remember how this game released and the absolute shitshow year 1 was and I’m not exactly certain they wouldn’t repeat that.

I 100% agree it’s not a great solution. Hell, I don’t even think it’s a good solution. But it was either that or D3 and they chose to not split a community between 2 titles. So far everything they’ve trotted out of the content vault has been free to play. The leviathan destination, cosmodrome, Opulent weapons, VOG, the new raid coming next week, and they’ve said multiple times vaulted content won’t be coming out as paid content and, so far, they haven’t given me a reason to not believe that statement.

Kerotan

Destiny 2 is good value. Insane value to a late comer. You can buy all the expansions on a good sale. The base game free. Season pass is optional but worth it. Out of 18 seasons im about to buy my 4th pass.

FUBARx89

Whoa whoa whoa. Bungie made these decisions when it was an indie studio /s

Only thing I don't like is vaulting. I'd prefer it if I could use my content on the xbox aswell apart from just the seasons. But it makes bungie money and I can't see MS/Sony being pleased missing out on that cash from their stores.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Greedy monetization is the entire point of these modern GaaS games.
I don’t agree, some are really good. War frame is super fair in how it does it. Not sure if that’s fair though as it is f2p. Before the last expansion, it was better too. They have gotten worse. Providing less value at more cost.

Game is still fun. I wish there was a guild for people like me that rarely get to play but would help us through the tough content when we can.

Guilty_AI

The worst thing about Destiny 2 is the content vaulting, you spend so much money and time grinding for shit only for it to be taken away in a matter of moments whenever their next big update hits. I mean, don't get me wrong the game itself can still be fun but it makes you wonder why waste all that time buying and grinding for content that could be taken away from you the next day.
When i heard they were removing maps and content (which apparently people paid for), that was the sign i would never play this game. Nothing i hate more than a game that doesn't let me play at my own pace.

Z O N E

Destiny 2 is a cluster fuck.

The whole "vaulting" content to make them drip feed you content which you already own is disgusting.

Their engine is also partly why Destiny 2 struggles. They said the engine was an issue in Destiny 1 and that they upgraded it for Destiny 2 but they're still suffering the same issues.

SkylineRKR

Destiny 2 is a cluster fuck.

The whole "vaulting" content to make them drip feed you content which you already own is disgusting.

Their engine is also partly why Destiny 2 struggles. They said the engine was an issue in Destiny 1 and that they upgraded it for Destiny 2 but they're still suffering the same issues.

Yep, Destiny is apparently very hard to expand. Which is odd because its the goal of the franchise.

But Destiny 1 clearly suffered, which I played for like 600hrs. Areas couldn't be expanded. DLC took place on existing levels giving it a cheap feel, the story missions were just rehashes of existing levels. The fact you had to load every mission from the same planet, which took place on the same sandbox, from the director, was cheap. The game lacked immersion. Not just because of the lack of story and awful pieces of story that did made it in, but also because of the way the game is structured.

It baffled me that D2 was structured pretty much identically.

Guilty_AI

I hate it, I miss the days where I could just pay full price once and companies wouldn't spend years ruining the games I liked.
You still can, its not like every game is like this, not even the majority. There are also plenty of more reasonable GAAS models which don't remove or drastically change the games like Bungie does with Destiny 2. Plenty don't even force an internet connection. Its really a case by case scenario.

Top Bottom