• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Borderlands is an ok game. I finished the first but got bored before I could finish the second one. I would love a game that was diablo with an fps mode. I just think Diablo grabbed me more than Borderlands could. Hopefully the beta will make be a believer.

I agree.

I think they need to up the difficulty a bit more. Any game with recharging shields and A.I enemies that aren't aggressive enough to punish turtle rechargers should be wary of low difficulty.

Vire

Is there any other videos of the person using a different weapon?... Maybe it's just that one weapon that seems unsatisfying?

I keep reading in this thread how it looks like Halo, but I don't see it at all actually. I wish it looked more like Halo, because what I'm seeing in each gameplay clip is pretty bland.

There's no dynamism to the gameplay, enemy AI is borderline non existent, and combat variety is extremely limited. In Halo you are constantly picking up new weapons, coming up with creative methods to overcome your obstacles. Run out of ammo in your trusty Battle Rifle? Scavenge around to find only a needler with 20 shots in it... Now you need to overcome the next group of enemy encounters with only a needler. Or better yet, hijack an Elite and steal his Ghost to take out the rest of the enemies.

There is nothing like that in this game. All I'm seeing is someone hide behind cover, take pop shots at braindead enemies and get back behind a wall while you defend a hack point.

This game dreams it was as fun as Halo.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I think they need to up the difficulty a bit more. Any game with recharging shields and A.I enemies that aren't aggressive enough to punish turtle rechargers should be wary of low difficulty.

Makes me curious, will there be difficulty settings for Destiny? How would that work with the coop nature? My guy says there won't be any...

Benslammin

Neo Member
The art looks great and the environments looks really cool, but the gameplay just seems mediocre and the guns have the "Halo effect" where there is no power behind the shots.

Bsigg12

Makes me curious, will there be difficulty settings for Destiny? How would that work with the coop nature? My guy says there won't be any...

Yea. I think difficulty will solely be based on the suggested level for areas and finding enemies of higher levels. They've said there are areas you can go to early on but probably won't want to because you'll be taken down by high level enemies.

Also does anyone think being online only will hurt sales of the game?

quickwhips

Is there any other videos of the person using a different weapon?... Maybe it's just that one weapon that seems unsatisfying?

I keep reading in this thread how it looks like Halo, but I don't see it at all actually. I wish it looked more like Halo, because what I'm seeing in each gameplay clip is pretty bland.

There's no dynamism to the gameplay, enemy AI is borderline non existent, and combat variety is extremely limited. In Halo you are constantly picking up new weapons, coming up with creative methods to overcome your obstacles. Run out of ammo in your trusty Battle Rifle? Scavenge around to find only a needler with 20 shots in it... Now you need to overcome the next group of enemy encounters with only a needler. Or better yet, hijack an Elite and steal his Ghost to take out the rest of the enemies.

There is nothing like that in this game. All I'm seeing is someone hide behind cover, take pop shots at braindead enemies and get back behind a wall while you defend a hack point.

That is called Legendary.

GAF

Banned
Looks like crap. I see it's alpha but that is one of the worst AIs I've ever seen in the fights. "I'll just stand here in the open and maybe shoot back at you, or just die."

This game as left alot on the table and not tried to explain what it is. Hell we had a post on Neogaf last month? That stated this was still an MMO. I feel Gaf is the most informed and if they don't know then the developer has failed. But the beta will fix most soon.

Don't know why everyone thought that last month. It's been quite clear to me from the beginning what this game is. The only thing that surprised me were the speeder bikes. I figured we'd just have cars or fast travel.

Borderlands is an ok game. I finished the first but got bored before I could finish the second one. I would love a game that was diablo with an fps mode. I just think Diablo grabbed me more than Borderlands could. Hopefully the beta will make be a believer.
The problem with Borderlands is that it's a mediocre shooter with incompetent RPG mechanics. The scaling is awful, exploration is non-existant, and the loot treadmill is horrible.

Teriyaki

Yea. I think difficulty will solely be based on the suggested level for areas and finding enemies of higher levels. They've said there are areas you can go to early on but probably won't want to because you'll be taken down by high level enemies.

Also does anyone think being online only will hurt sales of the game?

Have they shown anything that would require online if I'm playing the single player campaign or is it like an MMO?

Trickster

is it me or do the textures seem bad

Hard to tell due to the low quality of the footage imo. However, Bungie have historically been a developer who uses extremely high res textures compared to other developers

All the footage you're seeing here is from one of the earliest and lowest level zones in the game, not to mention that the enemies the player is fighting are mainly low tier enemy types. None of these enemies are really the equivelant of Elites from Halo

RSB

Banned

Halo would seem the most boring FPS ever if your only point of reference was a video of a new player playing on easy and using the AR all the time. Just sayin'

I have my reservations about some things, but personally, I'll wait to play the beta before judging the gameplay. Just one more month.

Dinklage sounds great.

Pretty hyped for this, to the point that I'm almost considering picking it up on last gen instead of waiting for a PC version.

BokehKing

Banned
I am beyond hype for this, the single player/co-op alone has me foaming out the mouth, the MP will... I'm guessing be just as painfully addicting. Plus I mean from the way people are talking but not grasping the reality that this game is huge, if this was Warcraft and all you saw was a night elf Hunter shooting spiders and Orleans, you would be like 'blah brain dead AI', write the game off, and then end up missing out on a great gaming experience.

So yes it is a one way street, to get hyped by nothing more translating zone/(killing spiders and owlkins) gets me hype, imagine what the multiple world's I explore will be like? End game content, ect ect

My body is ready, but so is my soul.

This thread is a prime example of why devs hate leaks. Leads to a bunch of half-baked opinions based on footage never meant to be public which may or may not be representative of the usual experience.

Banned
Anyone else concerned about the AI in that video? Besides the Captain Elites, the rest of the enemies just fucken stood there, fired a couple shots and then waited to get shot at in the open, not seeking cover at all.

But Bungie did make Halo, which had excellent AI, so I'm hoping this isn't final AI.

Trickster

Anyone else concerned about the AI in that video? Besides the Captain Elites, the rest of the enemies just fucken stood there, fired a couple shots and then waited to get shot at in the open, not seeking cover at all.

But Bungie did make Halo, which had excellent AI, so I'm hoping this isn't final AI.

I'm not really concerned at all no. Bungie have a proven track record of making the best enemy AI in gaming, or at the very least shooters. And when you take into consideration that these are low tier enemies in a closed alpha version, not meant for public consumption. Then I think any worries related to AI is very premature. I also think it's maybe a bit harsh to judge the AI of enemies that seem to get killed within 2 seconds of the player seeing them, doesn't really give a whole lot of time for the AI to do stuff.

If official footage we're no doubt gonna get at E3 features clearly dumb enemies, then maybe start to worry.

If it plays like halo and multiplayer is good, I will be in love with this game.

I'm indifferent to campaign,it's just going to be a farming fest.

Yep. MP will make or break this game for me. The campaign needs to be great though for lasting power. Halo has always had both.

How people cannot see this is Borderlands though is beyond me.

quickwhips

I am beyond hype for this, the single player/co-op alone has me foaming out the mouth, the MP will... I'm guessing be just as painfully addicting. Plus I mean from the way people are talking but not grasping the reality that this game is huge, if this was Warcraft and all you saw was a night elf Hunter shooting spiders and Orleans, you would be like 'blah brain dead AI', write the game off, and then end up missing out on a great gaming experience.

So yes it is a one way street, to get hyped by nothing more translating zone/(killing spiders and owlkins) gets me hype, imagine what the multiple world's I explore will be like? End game content, ect ect

My body is ready, but so is my soul.

I wish I had your excitement but this game isn't an MMO so the Warcraft comparison isn't fair. Also Halo AI on Legendary was pretty good.

Yep. MP will make or break this game for me. The campaign needs to be great though for lasting power. Halo has always had both.

Seems conceptually similar, but not creatively bankrupt and painfully stupid like Borderlands. In fact, I can't say I heard a single dick joke in any of the alpha footage!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That looks boring. People who say that video shows Destiny playing like Halo are nuts, that set piece was several steps below the quality standard of a Halo game. There is just so much shit going on in Halo, look:

http://youtu.be/CK454pgY068

Also, the enemies offer better feedback to your attacks. Destiny feels a lot more like Borderlands, which I guess is okay if the emphasis is in coop and loot.

quickwhips

I think because of health bars and shit but this game doesn't remind me of borderlands unless you compare it having alot of guns?

Banned
I'm not really concerned at all no. Bungie have a proven track record of making the best enemy AI in gaming, or at the very least shooters. And when you take into consideration that these are low tier enemies in a closed alpha version, not meant for public consumption. Then I think any worries related to AI is very premature. I also think it's maybe a bit harsh to judge the AI of enemies that seem to get killed within 2 seconds of the player seeing them, doesn't really give a whole lot of time for the AI to do stuff.

If official footage we're no doubt gonna get at E3 features clearly dumb enemies, then maybe start to worry.

That is my opinion as well. I think the final version after lot's of beta testing will be a lot better.

Halo would seem the most boring FPS ever if your only point of reference was a video of a new player playing on easy and using the AR all the time. Just sayin'

I have my reservations about some things, but personally, I'll wait to play the beta before judging the gameplay. Just one more month.
Not really, even on easy you'd see enemies do something, and be more frequent than stragglers every now and then.

A few points:

The enemies need more hit points. They go down far too quickly.

There is no point to having good A.I in this game if the enemies go down so quickly.

I was expecting double the amount of enemies on screen at one time.

I think I might not preorder and just wait for aprice drop. I want to see higher level quests first. But right now, I'm skeptical that Bungie has found the right balance for gameplay so far.

Leaks recently are killing games hype huh?

Watching the video makes me worry about the enemies difficulty, it would force you to gather a group but soloing is easy, really easy the enemies just shoot at you and sometimes create a shield and randomly chase you. what am I playing Halo firefight? Oh wait that was a event?

I really hope they tunned down their IA because they didnt swarm you or gave special tactics against the player and whats the deal of sending generals, capitans and special units at lvl 5 ?

Kimosabae

Banned
Leaks recently are killing games hype huh?

Watching the video makes me worry about the enemies difficulty, it would force you to gather a group but soloing is easy, really easy the enemies just shoot at you and sometimes create a shield and randomly chase you. what am I playing Halo firefight? Oh wait that was a event?

I really hope they tunned down their IA because they didnt swarm you or gave special tactics against the player and whats the deal of sending generals, capitans and special units at lvl 5 ?

Anyone care to translate?

Spasm

Right there with ya. Looks like 2 parts Borderlands, 1 part Halo, and 1 part WoW (WTF at pulling out to third person for spell poses? So stupid). I really really tried to enjoy BL, but just got bored of it.

Top Bottom