• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

blamite

Also I'm disappointed that as soon as you finish a mission you're seemingly kicked back out to your ship almost immediately. I would've hoped you could just keep wandering around and leave when you want to but I guess maybe that'd be kind of hard to design for.

Then again maybe it's just for the main campaign missions or whatever and there'll be modes that let you wander around as much as you want?

the first video just showed me that people are going to be addicted to this game beyond belief especially with the armor loot, i think it'll hook people once the beta comes out.

dreamfall

2nd one was the best, just wandering around free roam between missions. He met another player or two in the alpha and while snooping around some underground areas found a couple chests, then in another one exploring came across some enemies he wasn't damaging at all at his current level and had to GTFO in a hurry.

GAH!

I knew I should've clicked on that one to begin with! I want to see more of that open world MMO-esque interaction. How many people can be roaming around at once? Is it all PvE?

I'm excited, I just want MOAR.

MrMatt555

Not quite. If I can get this footage to act right. Might look kinda bad though. Got all 3 vids in time.

905.png

Vire

For the people that missed it, don't feel too bad. It was just some guy wandering aimlessly in some large environments shooting the fallen enemies. Weak sound effects and actually really bad music in the first video.

One area looked like the Old Russia (brown/orange) E3 demo and another was snowy, with some crappy looking grass.

I would have saved it, but my browser crashed after I watched the second one.

Phlebas

Banned
All these comparisons to Borderlands is really worrying.

I took Borderlands 2 back after a week because I couldn't have fun with it.

Crosseyes

Banned
GAH!

I knew I should've clicked on that one to begin with! I want to see more of that open world MMO-esque interaction. How many people can be roaming around at once? Is it all PvE?

I'm excited, I just want MOAR.
He only ran into one or two at a time, that's probably with just the alpha population since they've previewed a ton of people like upwards of 10-12 or so doing the public events before in the same roaming open world mode.

Plus they've said before all interaction will be PvE in the world unless you pick the PvP modes. No open world ganking lol.

missed the videos but for those saying dinklage sounds bored...its intentional. he's supposed to act like a disinterested, sometimes sarcastic robot.

I was only able to catch the first video, unfortunately. Unless some massive amount of footage is shown at E3, I'm going to let the Beta decide whether or not I keep my pre-order of Destiny. If it plays well, I most likely will.

But I'm pretty much thirsty for any sort of footage from Destiny that's not controlled by the devs. ;__;

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
so whats the consensus so far? heard borderlands a lot.
It looked too empty for a single player shooter. I don't know how much the multiplayer aspect makes it that way, but it felt lifeless compared to a very tight Halo stage.

Vire

It looked too empty for a single player shooter. I don't know how much the multiplayer aspect makes it that way, but it felt lifeless compared to a very tight Halo stage.

Agreed 100%. Not reminiscent of Halo in any way in terms of level design/enemy encounters.

To me that's pretty disappointing.

Can't really judge the game by that little bit of footage but I do agree that the voice acting is bad. They should hire fem shep.

I hope that guy didn't risk his job just to show this.

I missed it, but it doesn't seem like people were blown away by the footage.

It had a lot of down time between combat scenarios and the player acted a bit clueless and aimless in his exploration. On top of that, it was more Old Russia. Though it was nice to finally get a feeling for how large and spacious these planets are going to be.

"All they show is shooting in corridors, I want to see some more open areas and exploring"

*sees an open area with some wondering around*

"It looks so lifeless and boring, where are all the enemies?"

im kidding around

Crosseyes

Banned
Agreed 100%. Not reminiscent of Halo in any way in terms of level design/enemy encounters.

Well you could go play the modes that will thrive on level design and enemy encounters. This was a bunch of open world roaming. At low level in whats likely (Old Russia) the beginner area no doubt.

Destiny has to be the only game I've experienced in my lifetime where I've watched so many trailers, gameplay videos, demos, etc. and I still have no fucking clue what the game actually is. Single player? Multi player? Is it an MMO? Can I play it by myself? Open world? Lots of other players also in the same world? Is it instanced? What are all those weekly challenges?

Those screenshots of the menu a weeks back took what I thought I knew about the game and threw it out the window.

The mind boggling thing about it all is that Activision is spending SO much money on it, and if it fails its going to be because they've failed to tell the consumer what exactly they're spending their $60 on.

I love Bungie and their Halo games were amazing and I want to love this game too, but they're making it really hard.

blamite

You're right, you can definitely feel the Bungie touch in stuff like movement/HUD/menus, but the combat and encounters felt very different. I wonder if the more open areas designed more for free roaming and multiple missions set in the same areas will end up working against the kind of tightly designed levels they made for Halo.

Destiny has to be the only game I've experienced in my lifetime where I've watched so many trailers, gameplay videos, demos, etc. and I still have no fucking clue what the game actually is. Single player? Multi player? Is it an MMO? Can I play it by myself? Open world? Lots of other players also in the same world? Is it instanced? What are all those weekly challenges?

Those screenshots of the menu a weeks back took what I thought I knew about the game and threw it out the window.

The mind boggling thing about it all is that Activision is spending SO much money on it, and if it fails its going to be because they've failed to tell the consumer what exactly they're spending their $60 on.

I think that's Destiny's biggest problem with the people who aren't "It's Bungie, so I'm buying it" type of dudes. I honestly have no fucking clue what the game entails. I'm definitely interested..due to the MMO aspects, loot, the damage numbers, the usual goodies--and PvP of course. But I don't know how any of it fits together.

Horrible quality, but here is video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIjt49H51sA

My man.

Damn the game is fucking gorgeous. Loving the recoil too.

Rurunaki

I love Bungie and their Halo games were amazing and I want to love this game too, but they're making it really hard.

Just wait a few more days. I'm sure there will be a Destiny blowout on E3.

VanWinkle

I loved this footage. "Quiet" gameplay like this excites me way more than bombastic trailers do. Loved the atmosphere, art style, narration, speed, UI and combat.

I think that's Destiny's biggest problem with the people who aren't "It's Bungie, so I'm buying it" type of dudes. I honestly have no fucking clue what the game entails. I'm definitely interested..due to the MMO aspects, loot, the damage numbers, the usual goodies--and PvP of course. But I don't know how any of it fits together.

This too. I think there's going to be a ton of people who see "From the creators of Halo and the publishers of Call of Duty" and they're going to think, Sci-fi campaign with online co-op with online deathmatch, CTF, etc. and the game isn't that. (I don't think anyways)

This E3 is going to make this game or break it for me.

ramuh

I loved this footage. "Quiet" gameplay like this excites me way more than bombastic trailers do. Loved the atmosphere, art style, narration, speed, UI and combat.

Agreed. We can't have bombastic all the time. It dulls the senses. I hope that even with these quieter moments there is always a sense of dread... Do I push forward to possibly get killed? Etc. Etc.

My man.

Damn the game is fucking gorgeous. Loving the recoil too.

i don't get/have that problem myself...i understood what this game was trying to be from the beginning. But for people like you guys is why they're doing the beta. It's gonna be the best way to communicate what the game is.

Kelsey

Banned
Thanks.

First impressions, AI seems to be terrible, not sure I like the music and the voice acting isn't the the greatest.

Gunplay looks great though, doesn't seem to be too much like Halo, which is nice.
If you think the AI looks bad in that video, wait until you see video 2.

Top Bottom