• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will Bungie sell those items that allow you to bind the stats of one item with the aesthetic of another?

Also I am excited for the Beta. Any clue if iPhone users can download the app now?

ElRenoRaven

The alpha.bungie.net site appears to be up just fine. I hope they update it later or keep it for the beta because I definitely want to read more cards. The site has our characters information though, and they are deleting them, so I guess there is a whole reset in order?

A bit bummed that my score wasn't updated to reflect what I got last, but at least the site/stuff are still up and I got to read some cards.

If it's anything like pre-alpha it will go down after a couple days or so.

Alpha impressions: the music.

Go!

Amazing "SERVER OFFLINE" music! They have a lot of tracks in the menu. In fact, this maybe our first preview to a lot of the music.

I wonder how much of it is Marty O Donnel's music.

I also wonder how much of Paul McCartney's music is in it!

melos

Got an invite via Amazon out of the blue on Saturday. I wasn't at all excited for the game as none of what I saw really clicked. Expectations were virtually non-existent so i was really going in expecting a borderlands clone.

I can't remember the last time I had such a 180 on a game in such a short amount of time!

Journey-esque multiplayer, a super immersive world, great musical score, and fun gunplay (had a blast playing through devils mission quite a few times) have me sold on this game. Preordered on PSN and eagerly awaiting the next time I get my hands on it!

Very smart move on behalf of Bungie. Game didn't sound great on paper to me so actually getting to try it out for free was the best advertising bungie did IMO. It wpuld be smart for them to leave in this slice of gameplay as a free demo for those on the fence come release.

For all you alpha testers... do you think this game has a chance of being equally or even more successful than Titan Fall?

I know it's hard to predict but i'd like to hear some opinions about it.

yo can someone throw me an invite to play the title screen with me?
kiss-the-screen.gif

When servers finally went down, stared at it for quite a while.

melos

For all you alpha testers... do you think this game has a chance of being equally or even more successful than Titan Fall?

I think just by virtue of it being on both Microsoft and Sony consoles it will be more successful. In addition, from the little slice I played, there is more content storywise and seeing as there's some sort of long term plan I think this is gong to be one of the huge IPs this gen.

ad_idem

Having had more time with the alpha, just wanted mention one issue I had with how coop works. Keep in mind this is coming from someone that hasn't played a lot of console coop games (if this makes a difference at all).

Since I saw some people mention not knowing how to get to the "car graveyard" showcased in the gameplay reveal trailer, I thought I might try out the PS4 video capture feature to do a quick jaunt to the location starting from where you warp into Russia. Got there, and decided to watch the video real quick to see if it recorded properly. But as I was watching the video I heard a voice boom out over my speakers. After a few seconds of wondering what it was, I realized someone joined and was talking to me (never voice chatted on the PS4 so didn't know what was going on initially and was merely startled by the loud voice).

I understand wanting to design it so coop is seamless and I actually think they pulled it off relatively elegantly (many a times I saw random others, or those from my friend list) pass by and naturally work towards the same goal (never did it feel like we were trying to race to beat one another for quest objectives and/or drops) and enjoyed these random encounters. But the main issue I have is that there is no notification when someone joins your fireteam (or leaves). Perhaps a subtle audio cue (via the controller or whatever), or notification in game would be all that's required. Since I have never deliberately set up a coop session, I still don't know if the green colored name means they are on your friend's list or actually joined your team. Which of course makes me feel like an arse in those times when I realized later on that they had joined my team yet I thought they were merely in the same area and I just waved at them and continued on my merry way.

Anyway, I enjoyed this game more than I thought I would, and glad I had the chance to test out the Alpha, and also enjoyed playing with some of you. Look forward to playing some more with you guys come July.

P.S. The sound design/music is still my favorite part of the experience so far.

lol

I was looking at the picture in the OP. Hard to believe I had my PS4 just hours ago. *sigh*

Sorry to hear about being burgled, I hope it gets sorted in a satisfactory manner (sooner than later).

Teknoman

lol

I was looking at the picture in the OP. Hard to believe I had my PS4 just hours ago. *sigh*

I hate that feeling. Our place got broken into back in the Dreamcast days... you never know if it was a random occurrence, or someone had been watching you for awhile...Hopefully its no one you knew.

Easily going to be bigger than titanfall. This actually can live up to the hype.

I think just by virtue of it being on both Microsoft and Sony consoles it will be more successful. In addition, from the little slice I played, there is more content storywise and seeing as there's some sort of long term plan I think this is gong to be one of the huge IPs this gen.

Thanks for the replies dudes.

naeS

I still want to play some more... sigh

See you in the beta guys!

The areas are the same, but the Hive Ogre spawns in more than one area it seems though. I was at the one underneath the helicopters in the open area past the story wizard.

Sorry for the late response. I missed the post until I rechecked the page for pictures.

All good, I've been there and got that one anyways. But it's nice to see the Ogre spawns in different spots. Can't wait for the beta, maybe we will get to kill one.

Probity

Ehhh. Ever since the Alpha ended, I've been trying to get into my old games and it just isn't working. It is World Cup time and I don't even feel like FIFA, I was having so much fun in Destiny. I've hopped into the Hardline Beta and I am pretty sure I've run out of things to do.

I am unpleasantly surprised by the amount of enjoyment I had playing that game, I just want to go back and sink in, mess around with friends or something. I have a bad taste in my mouth not having a game I really want to play to balance this out.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Alpha impressions: the music.

Go!

Amazing "SERVER OFFLINE" music! They have a lot of tracks in the menu. In fact, this maybe our first preview to a lot of the music.

I wonder how much of it is Marty O Donnel's music.

I also wonder how much of Paul McCartney's music is in it!

I have a strong feeling Marty didn't write the Sepiks Prime fight music, but did write the music for the mesh layers part.

I haven't played Titanfall (I don't own a Xbone), but the MMO elements and single player campaign trump Titanfall for sure.

Well, DestinyGAF, I *was* going to come home and see if the Alpha was still online, but I got to my apartment to find that I had been robbed. They stole my Xbox One and PS4.

Police have been called; a report has been filed.

:|

At work, just got on GAF after a sad day that Alpha has ended, sorry to hear that Dax. I hope they catch that SOB and I hope you can join us back on PSN soon. Best of luck.

d9b

Banned

Destiny sh*ts all over TItanFall. From great hights. Can't touch this.
Great game and it looks great too. Can't wait!

Too bad titanfall is the better shooter. This is just more accessible with single player and Co op content.

I laughed.

Titanfall is one of the most shallow multiplayer experiences I've had, with the exception of some B tier phoned in multiplayer modes like Binary Domain and Spec Ops. Lack of recoil, terrible damage feedback, awful melee system and shitty grenades. The general movement and Titan gameplay is pretty fun though.

Would play Crucible with only those 2 maps a thousand times before I'd go back to Titanfall

/rant

WITHE1982

Damn. Was hoping to have one last hurrah after work today. Well I guess that's that. Fantastic job by Bungie with the Alpha. Just enough of a taster to wet my appetite for September.

Now the decision is to whether to play the BETA or to just wait and start nice and fresh on release.

BqNp_I1IcAA8lvn.jpg

Goodbye old friend. We've had a blast.

Dibbs

Wait, what? Is the alpha OVER?! I just got the key. Played it for an hour yesterday and fooled around, guess that's all I got....

Sob.

Epcott

Woke up this morning to see someone on my friends list still in Alpha playing Earth: Story.

But when I tried to get in it says its closed and get the fuck out.

:( feels bad man

Respawn

Banned
Well I finally put in my code I had for awhile yesterday, downloaded then booted up the game. I don't think I was prepared how grand and awesome this Alpha turned out to be. I am very impressed needless to say. The atmosphere was bleek and foreboding. The old planes rusting away, a tank that will never fight again seems to be at peace with flowers carressing its now quiet canon, massive rocket ships still waiting in silence for passengers that will never come and the dark, dank places that light hasn't touched in her embrace for how long...who knows. Bungie, its not often that I lay down to sleep and think about how soon I can play a game again. If the final game keeps this excellent pace of encounters, exploration and discovery then truly you will have done what so many have tried and not always could accomplish. A magnificent Picasso.
Reaching lvl 8 was a thrilling experience. Fighting the hive and the fallen with different tactics and weapons is so good. My favorite is the special events that happen after blasting the intruders with other players for awhile. My preorder is in and September cannot come soon enough.

My Memento

My Old Gears (New ones will be posted later)
sj5NTQV.jpg

We were trying to do the 'worst hairdo' moment
zJZhpaT.jpg

GAF Fireteam 1
It8BmND.jpg

GAF Fireteam 2
3aBNcA4.jpg

My Hunter with the skull cracking gauntlets
Ot2bp3U.jpg

Me and my buddy having a dip in the hot springs (we like to think of it that way)
R5fIWgT.jpg

Same thing but now you see the other person
tlg1llZ.jpg

Well, you know what this is
LHDmK3q.jpg

First moment seeing more people than one in the Tower
Fs2lnPh.jpg

and another one
kwwfpFu.jpg

and this one
Up6r1M8.jpg

this one too
CDQgwp9.jpg

Old Picture of my Hunter
yumZStF.jpg

Same goes to this one
CzrAJ5r.jpg

another one right here
kEe63mt.jpg

Too proud of my Hunter
lCP2Vxv.jpg

You know what that is
wInUvuV.jpg

My 2nd Ship
9BxKxqN.jpg

Trying to hide his face
m5CEtzt.jpg

My old stats
ELmjivZ.jpg

Dancing with Mmarsu
wLsD2as.jpg

GAF Dancers
y7a4L6L.jpg

GAF Chilling out
oCj216C.jpg

This is how it started
LfYAx4Z.jpg

This is how it ended
zh56lN1.jpg

yCh6UQc.jpg

That's a landslide win
y1tsbOm.jpg

My Main Ship
ug1PwDF.jpg

Bonus Picture
tH1Ptc0.jpg

This is a very sad day for me to learn of the end of the Alpha during work hours. I look forward to band up and go on an adventure with the GAF Fireteam again come BETA :)

Too bad titanfall is the better shooter. This is just more accessible with single player and Co op content.

Lol no, I stopped playing Titanfall because the stupid AI roaming around the maps that are supposed to make up for the low player count was game breaking to me. The AI is a stupid distraction, when you decide to kill them you get noticed by a cloaked real opponent who will ofcourse get you. The maps feel empty, I have a hard time finding someone real to kill. It's a shame, if they got rid of the AI and put in allowed more people I would've enjoyed it a lot more. And no they could still get the Titan situation to work by making them harder to get.

My Memento

Dude if you're posting that many pics just link to your photo album, makes it hard to scroll the page.

Marvel

could never
Boy! Weapons need some tuning because that auto rifle you're using is OP as fuck.

Cool vid though.

Yeah but it's SO hard to keep that AR on target. Recoil on that beast is insane also has a ROF of like 900 or something which means at distance it's kinda useless.

And thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom