• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny beta on Xbox One will not be running at 1080p, will reach 1080p by launch

Damn. You just basically outright called the devs liars. Guilty until proven innocent these days, eh?

igQbLhmO8O6fz.gif

I can't believe people are still posting that GIF as if it's indicative of anything, it's quite obviously a bug. Thank god Shinobi set people straight.

OT, I'm completely fine with 900p30, even if the final game is like that (people seem to make 900p vs 1080p a bigger deal than it is).

No, this is like making a game on hardware that can't seem to hit 1080p unless it removes all new/current developments in rendering technology at a stable framerate. Their beta is 900p. That is what they are testing their game with, upping the resolution to 1080p is going to be a more difficult load on hardware that can't hit 1080p for its beta.

So, either this beta is useless, as 1080p will be a different load for the Xbone to run and keep the latency low for multiplay, or, its going to be a lower resolution, like most Xbox One games. They don't know anything better than anyone else when it comes to what final resolution your engine is running. Its the hardware.

The PS4 is hitting 1080p with all the visual bells and whistles, as well as knowing the hardware load in relation to multiplayer performance. If they could get the Xbox One to be 1080p, it would be. But they can't so its 900p on the platform.

The xbox one, is going to run a beta with the hardware running less demanding software. So, when they up the resolution, are they going to do another beta to test how performance is affected with the higher resolution and all the bells and whistles as well as multiplayer performance for their customers, or.. do you think they are just going to switch a selector to 1080p and ship the game and 1080p is no more demanding on hardware than 900p? Like i said, the logic can't be had both ways. Either 1080p is more demanding, and would require a beta to iron out their 1080p hardware load/multiplayer, or its going to ship at the resolution they tested the game in, and optimized it for. You don't test at 900p, and learn anything that will apply to 1080p.

Pretty much with how this gen is going. The proof is in the retail product. If the beta was 1080p, like all of the footage, then I'd have nothing to say. SO far we have footage, but the actual beta is 900p. So, if the game was running at 1080p just fine, why do a beta at 900p? Because the engine isn't running optimally at 1080p.

Insider knowledge? Im just using some deduction. The 1080p nonsense is political, and its a shame bungie has to be involved in it.

I can't tell if you're going for a really good troll or are just that blindly obsessed with wanting Destiny XB1 to fall short of 1080p.

No, this is like making a game on hardware that can't seem to hit 1080p unless it removes all new/current developments in rendering technology at a stable framerate. Their beta is 900p. That is what they are testing their game with, upping the resolution to 1080p is going to be a more difficult load on hardware that can't hit 1080p for its beta.

So, either this beta is useless, as 1080p will be a different load for the Xbone to run and keep the latency low for multiplay, or, its going to be a lower resolution, like most Xbox One games. They don't know anything better than anyone else when it comes to what final resolution your engine is running. Its the hardware.

The PS4 is hitting 1080p with all the visual bells and whistles, as well as knowing the hardware load in relation to multiplayer performance. If they could get the Xbox One to be 1080p, it would be. But they can't so its 900p on the platform.

The xbox one, is going to run a beta with the hardware running less demanding software. So, when they up the resolution, are they going to do another beta to test how performance is affected with the higher resolution and all the bells and whistles as well as multiplayer performance for their customers, or.. do you think they are just going to switch a selector to 1080p and ship the game and 1080p is no more demanding on hardware than 900p? Like i said, the logic can't be had both ways. Either 1080p is more demanding, and would require a beta to iron out their 1080p hardware load/multiplayer, or its going to ship at the resolution they tested the game in, and optimized it for. You don't test at 900p, and learn anything that will apply to 1080p.

So in other words Bungie, IGN and MS are all liars and Sony rulez the world? IGN's Xbox One footage is from a modded PS4 using a XBONER controller?

Seriously, do you understand what a beta is? Its a closed and old version of a game.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/statuses/476486815654744064

After @xboxp3 interview I've been asking devs about impact of new Xbox sdk on perf. Bungie says it will get Destiny to 1080p/30fps on XB1.

FyreWulff

Bungie dont seem to know this. They said it will be 1080p at launch.

this isn't like TitanFall and Respawn saying they were looking to increase the resolution for launch. They flat out said thr resolution will be 1080p.

Why the beta doesn't use the June SDK for XOne, I don't know.

Betas are branched from months old builds, this one would have likely been branched off in May.

shandy706

The alpha was a locked 30 FPS with 1080p on PS4.

I was obviously talking about cross-platform games in general. 1080p shouldn't be the final target if you can't maintain consistent frame rates.

If you can, you certainly maintain the resolution.

jem0208

You do realise Bungie can do internal testing right?

It's not like this is some massive MMO with thousands of players in a single area.

Who cares. I think people just want more fun out of this game than 1080p. Even though I'm getting it on the PS4 (possibly double dip for the XB1 vers.) it really doesn't matter. Framerate is much much more important since this primarily a shooter. Some crazy outlandish resolution like 1008p can work lol.

Pretty much with how this gen is going. The proof is in the retail product. If the beta was 1080p, like all of the footage, then I'd have nothing to say. SO far we have footage, but the actual beta is 900p. So, if the game was running at 1080p just fine, why do a beta at 900p? Because the engine isn't running optimally at 1080p.

Insider knowledge? Im just using some deduction. The 1080p nonsense is political, and its a shame bungie has to be involved in it.

I'm no expert on this but I believe testing game performance and network performance unrelated. The beta was meant to test the latter.

Caayn

pile_of_shit.gif

This Beta isn't to test the hardware utilization. Those kind of test almost never appear in public, outside of a few PC titles. This is to see how the network and netcode acts when it's under pressure.

You really have no concept of software development, do you? Like, not at all.

Not even a little bit.

jim2011

IGN has stated that next week, before the Xbox beta starts, they will be debuting the first ever Xbox One footage of the game. The Xbox One footage of the game will be running at 1080p, but the beta will not be running at the footage quality.

Why is everyone ignoring this? Sounds like bungee has it at 1080p already and we are just getting an older build.

pile_of_shit.gif

This Beta isn't to test the hardware utilization. Those kind of test almost never appear in public, outside of a few PC titles. This is to see how the network and netcode acts when it's under pressure.

Shhhh..... quiet now. You know nothing. Bungie has no internal QA team and the beta is representative of their latest build that came off the press last night.

shinnn

Seems like troll is liberated for XB1 again? Reading those last XB1 threads is like reading youtube comments sometimes.

The first link in the OP says that IGN First footage will be 1080p, yet people talking about 900p from their ass. lol.

OP ignoring the video mentioning is classy too.

Nephtes

So, either this beta is useless...

I can't even begin to decipher what you said in that post.

Regardless, the Destiny Beta on PS4 AND Xbox One is a bit of a misnomer.

They might be beta testing/stress testing the servers but make no mistake about it, this is not a true game beta test.

Destiny's beta is essentially a preorder bonus incentivizer and a prerelease demo to show people "Hey look, we made Halo and we can still make other cool games too, here try thus out."

Considering they said they were going to use the updated SDK and the build for the public beta was probably signed off on close to a month ago, this isn't any surprise to me.

What is kinda crazy, is when Digital Foundry does their break down of the beta on both systems, despite everyone knowing the Xbox One beta isn't running in 1080p, you are going to be having these exact same conversations, all the exact same concerns, people who are "shocked" it isn't running in 1080p, all over again.

"What? It's not 1080p on Xbox One in the beta? Heck it was in the alpha on PS4, la la la"

So everyone be ready, cause what you see in this thread, is going to happen all over again, with much more deep concern than we are seeing now.

Some people in particular seem to be getting very angry for no reason upon hearing that Destiny will run at 1080p on Xbox One when it launches. Makes no sense to me.

commedieu

Banned
I can't even begin to decipher what you said in that post.

Regardless, the Destiny Beta on PS4 AND Xbox One is a bit of a misnomer.

They might be beta testing/stress testing the servers but make no mistake about it, this is not a true game beta test.

Destiny's beta is essentially a preorder bonus incentivizer and a prerelease demo to show people "Hey look, we made Halo and we can still make other cool games too, here try thus out."

Yeah, you're definitely right, Betas these days generally aren't really betas to test the product. But, i'd hope bungie is actually wanting to figure out some gremlins with the # of people expected to play this thing.

What im saying is --- I do see a problem testing your 900p beta, if you have a 1080p build working. I'd want to test the load of 1080p in relation to multiplayer performance, since it is going to ship as that. Because I'd want customers having the best experience on their hardware. Thats why my opinion is that it isn't going to hit 1080p when it ships.

So its probably just a old build to get preorders you think?

Ambition

What is kinda crazy, is when Digital Foundry does their break down of the beta on both systems, despite everyone knowing the Xbox One beta isn't running in 1080p, you are going to be having these exact same conversations, all the exact same concerns, people who are "shocked" it isn't running in 1080p, all over again.

Resolution isn't the only thing the PS4 version will have over the Xbox One, you know that right?

Nephtes

Some people in particular seem to be getting very angry for no reason upon hearing that Destiny will run at 1080p on Xbox One when it launches. Makes no sense to me.

"Grrrr NeoGAF told me Xbox no can do 1080p. Me upset. Me going play more FIFA and cry in ice cream."

I imagine it's like that...

Yeah, you're definitely right, Betas these days generally aren't really betas to test the product. But, i'd hope bungie is actually wanting to figure out some gremlins with the # of people expected to play this thing.

What im saying is --- I do see a problem testing your 900p beta, if you have a 1080p build working. I'd want to test the load of 1080p in relation to multiplayer performance, since it is going to ship as that. Because I'd want customers having the best experience on their hardware. Thats why my opinion is that it isn't going to hit 1080p when it ships.

uYjUuC9.gif

theWB27

That's pretty much what everyone has been telling you. That's pretty much how it usually goes, we see older builds of games even at E3 and other trade shows. Demos are usually older builds.

You see a problem in regular game development. That's a little odd don't ya think?

Caayn

"What? It's not 1080p on Xbox One in the beta? Heck it was in the alpha on PS4, la la la"

So everyone be ready, cause what you see in this thread, is going to happen all over again, with much more deep concern than we are seeing now.
At least I know which thread I need to avoid when it pops-up :p

I can't believe people are still posting that GIF as if it's indicative of anything, it's quite obviously a bug. Thank god Shinobi set people straight.

OT, I'm completely fine with 900p30, even if the final game is like that (people seem to make 900p vs 1080p a bigger deal than it is).

I can't tell if you're going for a really good troll or are just that blindly obsessed with wanting Destiny XB1 to fall short of 1080p.

commedieu is a really good comedienne

Nephtes

Can you please.. not do the whole NeoGAF hivemind thing? It's really annoying and it's detrimental to discussion.

I was merely imitating what I believe the mind set of people who could possibly be upset at the proposition of Destiny being 1080p on the Xbox.

how can anyone be upset when other people get nice things too?

Damn. You just basically outright called the devs liars. Guilty until proven innocent these days, eh?

Not that I agree with him, but can you really blame people for being suspicious? We've all heard this resolution and parity claims for the X1 multiple times for multiplatform games from multiple developers, and most of the time it's bullshit.

Top Bottom