• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny beta on Xbox One will not be running at 1080p, will reach 1080p by launch

Nephtes

Retail wont be 1080p. And they know that, we all know this.

Bungie dont seem to know this. They said it will be 1080p at launch.

this isn't like TitanFall and Respawn saying they were looking to increase the resolution for launch. They flat out said thr resolution will be 1080p.

Why the beta doesn't use the June SDK for XOne, I don't know.

Orayn

Well just read the destiny blog post...

Which seems to support the speculation in this thread that Bungie has it at 1080p internally but the beta is based on an older build.

Doesn't seem dramatic enough though... BOTH VERSIONS 1080P, PARITY PARITY PARITY, PREORDERED 50 TIMES THEN CANCELED THEM ALL, PS4 VERSION ROBBED, BUNGIE BETRAYING THEIR XBOX FANBASE, WRITING A LETTER TO MY SENATOR, etc.

:p

In all seriousness I'm looking forward to the Digital Foundry analysis of the beta. Interested to see any visual differences other than resolution and whether or not they fixed the frame pacing issues from alpha.

Retail wont be 1080p. And they know that, we all know this. Nothing wrong with just moving forward with the Xbone's less powerful hardware, and optimizing at 900p and what not for visually demanding games that the PS4/PC can run. The politics around 1080p is a self made joke that only Microsoft is participating in at this point.

Beta for a 900p game, is fundamentally different than the load that the 1080p beta would be gpu/cpu wise. I mean, they can't have it both ways.

So are Bungie and MS lying about it being 1080p at launch? They both said the new SDK got them there.

You do realize the Beta was likely finalized pre-SDK implementation and not worth tinkering with?

About that...

gameclip_by_gavinuk86-d7q9zgp.gif

Yikes. If it's running this badly why are they going to up the resolution? I'd use that extra Kinect-less power to smooth out the framerate.

edit: Ah, caught Shinobi's post above.

Bgamer90

Banned
As of right now I just want to play the game to understand the hype. If I like it then it being in a higher res at launch will be a nice bonus.

Caayn

Never expected the Beta for the Xbox One to be running at 1080p. Bungie most likely didn't have time to incorporate the June SDK update into the Beta.

It's cool that they are aiming for 1080 at release but please think about the frame rates too, i'd prefer a game to be 900p if it means a more consistent frame rate as I play.

Most likely the beta build on XOne isn't using the June SDK which gave devs the resources formerly hogged up by Kinect.

Exactly. The Alpha and the Beta aren't the latest builds that are rolled out. They put their foot down at one point and say this is the beta version. They then make sure it operates without problems.

This is why a lot of Devs are ignoring demos. Its really hard for them to decide to stop development on the game and work on a demo which won't be the final product.

jem0208

this isn't like TitanFall and Respawn saying they were looking to increase the resolution for launch. They flat out said thr resolution will be 1080p.

Probably because the beta build was most likely finalized quite a while ago before Bungie were able to take advantage of the new sdk.

shandy706

Retail wont be 1080p. And they know that, we all know this. Nothing wrong with just moving forward with the Xbone's less powerful hardware, and optimizing at 900p and what not for visually demanding games that the PS4/PC can run.

Both console makers should drop the 1080p crap if it means fluctuating frame rates.

Neither one can seem to hold a solid 60 even in games where people/developers brag or say they shot for 60/1080p.

Lots of 25-30fps and 40-60fps games.

The number of absolutely locked AAA 60fps (or 30fps) games is darn near nothing.

Vire

Both console makers should drop the 1080p crap if it means fluctuating frame rates.

Neither one can seem to hold a solid 60 even in games where people/developers brag or say they shot for 60/1080p.

The number of absolutely locked AAA 60fps (or 30fps) games is darn near nothing.

The alpha was a locked 30 FPS with 1080p on PS4.

jem0208

Retail wont be 1080p. And they know that, we all know this. Nothing wrong with just moving forward with the Xbone's less powerful hardware, and optimizing at 900p and what not for visually demanding games that the PS4/PC can run. The politics around 1080p is a self made joke that only Microsoft is participating in at this point.

Beta for a 900p game, is fundamentally different than the load that the 1080p beta would be gpu/cpu wise. I mean, they can't have it both ways.

Care to provide a source for this insider knowledge of yours? Because to me it sounds like you're talking out of your ass. Bungie have explicitly said it will be running at 1080 and IGN's footage of it will be at 1080 so it sounds like internally it's already running at it.

commedieu

Banned

No, this is like making a game on hardware that can't seem to hit 1080p unless it removes all new/current developments in rendering technology at a stable framerate. Their beta is 900p. That is what they are testing their game with, upping the resolution to 1080p is going to be a more difficult load on hardware that can't hit 1080p for its beta.

So, either this beta is useless, as 1080p will be a different load for the Xbone to run and keep the latency low for multiplay, or, its going to be a lower resolution, like most Xbox One games. They don't know anything better than anyone else when it comes to what final resolution your engine is running. Its the hardware.

The PS4 is hitting 1080p with all the visual bells and whistles, as well as knowing the hardware load in relation to multiplayer performance. If they could get the Xbox One to be 1080p, it would be. But they can't so its 900p on the platform.

The xbox one, is going to run a beta with the hardware running less demanding software. So, when they up the resolution, are they going to do another beta to test how performance is affected with the higher resolution and all the bells and whistles as well as multiplayer performance for their customers, or.. do you think they are just going to switch a selector to 1080p and ship the game and 1080p is no more demanding on hardware than 900p? Like i said, the logic can't be had both ways. Either 1080p is more demanding, and would require a beta to iron out their 1080p hardware load/multiplayer, or its going to ship at the resolution they tested the game in, and optimized it for. You don't test at 900p, and learn anything that will apply to 1080p.

Damn. You just basically outright called the devs liars. Guilty until proven innocent these days, eh?

Pretty much with how this gen is going. The proof is in the retail product. If the beta was 1080p, like all of the footage, then I'd have nothing to say. SO far we have footage, but the actual beta is 900p. So, if the game was running at 1080p just fine, why do a beta at 900p? Because the engine isn't running optimally at 1080p.

Insider knowledge? Im just using some deduction. The 1080p nonsense is political, and its a shame bungie has to be involved in it.

No, this is like making a game on hardware that can't seem to hit 1080p unless it removes all new/current developments in rendering technology at a stable framerate. Their beta is 900p. That is what they are testing their game with, upping the resolution to 1080p is going to be a more difficult load on hardware that can't hit 1080p for its beta.

So, either this beta is useless, as 1080p will be a different load for the Xbone to run and keep the latency low for multiplay, or, its going to be a lower resolution, like most Xbox One games. They don't know anything better than anyone else when it comes to what final resolution your engine is running. Its the hardware.

The PS4 is hitting 1080p with all the visual bells and whistles, as well as knowing the hardware load in relation to multiplayer performance. If they could get the Xbox One to be 1080p, it would be. But they can't so its 900p on the platform.

The xbox one, is going to run a beta with the hardware running less demanding software. So, when they up the resolution, are they going to do another beta to test how performance is affected with the higher resolution and all the bells and whistles as well as multiplayer performance for their customers, or.. do you think they are just going to switch a selector to 1080p and ship the game and 1080p is no more demanding on hardware than 900p? Like i said, the logic can't be had both ways. Either 1080p is more demanding, and would require a beta to iron out their 1080p hardware load/multiplayer, or its going to ship at the resolution they tested the game in, and optimized it for. You don't test at 900p, and learn anything that will apply to 1080p.

How long have you worked at Bungie to have all this in-depth knowledge of their development process?

DC1

When you starting fixing some things, other things start to break.
Such is the life of unstructured software development.

I'm a PM (migrated several large systems) and can't imagine a more complicated engagement than pushing a new IP across multiple platforms.

Your statement is true.
And I'm sure that Bungie will work it out.

Top Bottom