• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - New Screenshots

I am afraid they won't deliver on the scope. It's a last gen game, technically.
GTA V did. Anything is possible.

I have no idea how people are properly calibrating their expectations in terms of scope and size and sheer breadth of content though. I just can't get a sense of overall scale from any of the media I've seen so far.

Vire

Eh, why show much now? All you need to do at this point is build some base level knowledge of the brand and an undercurrent of excitement.

E3 and Summer they will start to slam us with information.

At this point most customers aren't making buying decisions about titles that far out. Why waste your marketing dollars on an effort to sustain hype over a 9 month period when you can concentrate those same resources into a 3 month period.

That and it behooves them to start the blitz post Titanfall/InFamous/whatever else big comes out before E3. Because those titles are going to suck a lot of wind out of the room.

Which is why they absolutely announced Destiny too early. I realize that Destiny went through an unforeseen delay, but the marketing for this game can generously be described as poor.

There hasn't been one video truly explaining the vision of Destiny and getting fans exciting about what new things this game has to offer. I remember seeing the Halo Reach Forge World ViDoc and just being absolutely blown away by the ambition on display and all the possibilities.

How large is the game? How many worlds are there to explore? Is there any sort of space travel? How does the new implementations of networking functionality work exactly and how does it enhance the game? All answers to these questions have been vague and nebulous at best.

Bungie has said in various interviews that Destiny is the largest game they have ever created and the scope is unrivaled. Well, I'm not really seeing it?.... Instead I get shown the same barren wastelands and JJ Abrams filters time and again.

Trust me when I say this, I am the absolute biggest Bungie fan imaginable, I've been playing their games religiously since Myth - but I honestly feel very let down with the debut of Destiny and my excitement for this game is about half of what it was for even Reach or ODST (which is saying a lot). They simply have not done a good idea selling me on what this game is all about. Instead I'm left to make my own assumptions that it's some sort of bastardization of Halo, Borderlands and Mass Effect.

I want this game to succeed and deliver on the scope they are talking about, but I'm just not seeing it. (Sorry urk and crew, just being honest)

Love,

A huge Bungie fan.

Giggzy

I was really stoked about this game a couple months ago, but now... eh not so much. I'm not sure why. I'd guess it's because I haven't seen any new content for it. Once they start showing more and detailing PVP then my hype will rise

Marleyman

Banned
Which is why they absolutely announced Destiny too early. I realize that Destiny went through an unforeseen delay, but the marketing for this game can generously be described as poor.

There hasn't been one video truly explaining the vision of Destiny and getting fans exciting about what new things this game has to offer. I remember seeing the Halo Reach Forge World ViDoc and just being absolutely blown away by the ambition on display and all the possibilities.

How large is the game? How many worlds are there to explore? Is there any sort of space travel? How does the new implementations of networking functionality work exactly and how does it enhance the game? All answers to these questions have been vague and nebulous at best.

Bungie has said in various interviews that Destiny is the largest game they have ever created and the scope is unrivaled. Well, I'm not really seeing it?.... Instead I get shown the same barren wastelands and JJ Abrams filters time and again.

Trust me when I say this, I am the absolute biggest Bungie fan imaginable, I've been playing their games religiously since Myth - but I honestly feel very let down with the debut of Destiny and my excitement for this game is about half of what it was for even Reach or ODST (which is saying a lot). They simply have not done a good idea selling me on what this game is all about. Instead I'm left to make my own assumptions that it's some sort of bastardization of Halo, Borderlands and Mass Effect.

Ryan-Gosling-Clapping-Awards-Ceremony.gif

I'm not really excited for this game anymore. I have a feeling it's going to be rather short and fairly linear. Not at all what they were claiming from the start.

I would LOVE to be proved wrong. Please do.

Broritos

Looks plain. Not the aesthetics, the gameplay. Yea they're just screenshots but they're all showing people shooting at enemies right in front of them on a flat surface.

I like the idea for this game but so far from what they've shown, it seems pretty 'meh'.

Kssio_Aug

Its so sad that it will come just at september! =(

I gotta say, I just don't get the hype. It looks like Halo to me. Nothing about it doesn't look like Halo.

The world and the art style for sure do remember Halo. But thats not a negative aspect. At the other hand the differencial is about the game style... when I think about Destiny I think about Borderlands with steroids! It seems to me the coop experience of Borderlands but with a bigger and prettier world, with more things to do, more things to collect, more classes, better balanced and possibly with no hacker and cheaters!

blamite

Destiny is a game that I'm theoretically super excited for, but the painfully slow drip-feeding of information is making it nearly impossible to find concrete things about the game to look forward to.

Jibbed

I want this game to succeed and deliver on the scope they are talking about, but I'm just not seeing it. (Sorry urk and crew, just being honest)

Love,

A huge Bungie fan.

Boom, 100% agree. I still don't really know what I'll be doing in Destiny, and what level of 'freedom' is actually available when it comes to traversing the solar system.

Its so sad that it will come just at september! =(

The world and the art style for sure do remember Halo. But thats not a negative aspect. At the other hand the differencial is about the game style... when I think about Destiny I think about Borderlands with steroids! It seems to me the coop experience of Borderlands but with a bigger and prettier world, with more things to do, more things to collect, more classes, better balanced and possibly with no hacker and cheaters!

That just sounds like what Borderlands 3 will end up being.

I dunno, I need to know a lot more. It's really quite impressive how little I know about this game despite how much they show us shit.

The shooter screenshots they keep leaking are the most boring part of the game. I get it, it will be a shooter, and that's fine. I have absolutely zero hope or expectations that they will change or elevate the core shooter tropes that we've been using for years. But that means they need to focus my attention to what makes Destiny different. And I hope there is a lot more to it than sci-fi Borderlands. It's fine if there isn't, I'm sure the game will be fun, but I just hope that there is.

it looks a bit like a F2P shooter, like planetside2 or warframe, it just lacks character, but I had the same complaint about Halo, I need something relateable in my games I think, sci-fi space shooters just aren't my thing.

I sincerely hope there's a lot of aesthetic character customization. It's going to get boring looking at the same models all the time.

Portugeezer

Looks super cool but I still feel like I know NOTHING about this game.

What I know (think I know) about Destiny:

• Sci-fi game set in the solar system
  • RPG/loot shooter gameplay
  • Always online; no offline play
  • Co-op is optional (some mission may require co-op)
  • You have a space ship but you can't manually travel the solar system (no faux sense of exploration, none at all)
  • You have a land vehicle which you can control on missions
No idea how large the planets/levels/areas you visit are, which is my biggest problem. Do you just travel to various cut off levels or is each planet a big connected level?

Vooduu

Love,

A huge Bungie fan.

dEWcR8U.gif

GhaleonEB

I had to stop and look to make sure they weren't fighting a Hunter from Halo.

Still not showing much in the way of scale, but hopefully these pics indicate we'll be seeing a lot more of these environments soon. We've had glimpses for a long while.

Vire's post is spot on. The roll out of Destiny has felt a lot like what we saw from Halo reveals. Show the charactes, show the enemies, show some small to medium-ish combat scenarios. A courtyard with boxes, for example. I'm still not connecting the dots between that and the apparant scale and ambition of the game, though. There needs to be a lot more show than tell for Destiny before launch.

btkadams

Love,

A huge Bungie fan.
doesn't it take place on different planets in our solar system? i know that there are mars, moon, earth and...venus/mercury (i forget which one of those two) levels.

What I know (think I know) about Destiny:

• RPG/loot shooter gameplay
And I still don't really have an idea of what this means. No idea what the difference is between a level 2 player and a level 25 player, or a level 2 weapon and a level 25 weapon. How much of this is skill as opposed to numbers. Are there any under the hood die rolls?

Can a level 20 one-shot a level 1 player or enemy? How about the other way around?

How are these RPG elements balanced in competitive? Does the PVE scale to the number of players and their level?

What happens when a level 20 player groups with a level 5? Are there any restrictions on group levels?

doesn't it take place on different planets in our solar system? i know that there are mars, moon, earth and...venus/mercury (i forget which one of those two) levels.
How big are those levels though?

Are they designed for replayability? Level gated? Linear or open ended?

What was the elevator pitch to Activision?

Dabanton

I really, REALLY like the art in this game.
I just wish the E3 gameplay didn't strike me that much as dull and MMO-esque ("Here's a bunch of BULLETSPONGE ENEMIES, ENJOY!")

My main issue as well, if that encounter was the best they could show I would be wary. The enemies looked boring.

Still we have until September to see...

So cant wait for this game!

Not sure why naysayers are hating it after seeing screenshots, Your not going to see the best of it until after E3.

I think the screenshots look great, Anything sci-fi related and RPG and im up for it.

GhaleonEB

And I still don't really have an idea of what this means. No idea what the difference is between a level 2 player and a level 25 player, or a level 2 weapon and a level 25 weapon. How much of this is skill as opposed to numbers. Are there any under the hood die rolls?

Can a level 20 one-shot a level 1 player or enemy? How about the other way around?

How are these RPG elements balanced in competitive? Does the PVE scale to the number of players and their level?

What happens when a level 20 player groups with a level 5? Are there any restrictions on group levels?

None of this has been addressed. On a related note, "Consumable" items have been mentioned. Picking up "resources" has been said a few times. A recent Edge article specifically mentioned a deep crafting system using said resources, which are gathered from various missions and environments. Those can be sold and/or crafted back in the hub world, which implies some sort of economy system given the connected nature of the game.

But we haven't actually seen or had any of those systems explained. I hope Bungie starts doing so soon.

The art looks as excellent as always and I'm quite looking forward to the game overall, but I don't think I understand Destiny yet, as Bungie has yet to really explain it.

Leatherface

I'm all in baby. If anyone can do this right, it's Bungie. That should be enough to get almost everyone excited. Screenshots look fantastic!

Nokterian

Love,

A huge Bungie fan.

Nice post but you can blame Activision for that since there the ones who control the media and pr. To me when it was announced i am still at this very moment not interested in. Don't know sure there ambition is big but to me this is Borderlands on planets with a class system and also same loot idea's.

The art looks as excellent as always and I'm quite looking forward to the game overall, but I don't think I understand Destiny yet, as Bungie has yet to really explain it.
Yeah, its a vague place to be but I'm right there with ya.

Need some new Marty music too.

GravyButt

Is it weird im excited for the game but have little to no hype because I have no clue what the game is? I cant be the only one right?

Top Bottom