• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - New Screenshots

Kosma

Banned
I wonder why this isn't coming to pc, since activision likes to cover all bases usually.

Have to say im really hyped for this now even though i wasnt before, something just clicked when I rewatched some vids the other day.

Sotha_Sil

I fear the open-world will have the same problem as Borderlands' world; it's just a bunch of static locations whose sole purpose is to provide a surface to shoot things on. Hopefully Bungie puts in the effort required to make each location feel alive.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I don't disagree with a lot of what is being said, but I think we'll have a very good idea post E3 what we are looking at.

I want information now as well (Halo has been my favorite franchise for 12+ years now), but I think we'll all have more than we want over the Summer. By September I'm sure we will have everything we need.

Bungie loves Vidocs. I'm expecting a ton.

I wonder why this isn't coming to pc, since activision likes to cover all bases usually.

Have to say im really hyped for this now even though i wasnt before, something just clicked when I rewatched some vids the other day.

My guess would be because it's coming to 360, PS3, XBone, and PS4. They probably feel like developing for PC (for launch) will stretch them too thin for relatively little gain since most current Bungie fans are console players anyways.

I still can't understand the comparison with Borderlands (I played both of them a *lot*) ...

Ps These screenshots are awesome!

People hear FPS + RPG + Loot and automatically think Borderlands. If Bungie delivers on the various systems they've hinted at though, then people will see the difference.

Kuroyume

Banned
It does look A LOT like Halo. And Mass Effect. But mostly Halo.

tumblr_mzetr9AtiH1r8tgs3o5_1280.jpg

This one right here... You could tell me that's Reach multiplayer and I would believe you.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I fear the open-world will have the same problem as Borderlands' world; it's just a bunch of static locations whose sole purpose is to provide a surface to shoot things on. Hopefully Bungie puts in the effort required to make each location feel alive.

One thing that gives me a lot of hope for this vs. Borderlands 2 (which I love, BTW) is that Bungie knows how to do large scale battle probably better than any other shooty dev out there.

I don't think most devs have hit the level of what they were doing in Halo 1 still. Borderlands 2 (as fun as it is), still boils down to a bunch of bullet spounges running at me.

I'm hoping we wind up with a tactical game that requires a lot of thought into the kill system.

If this game turns out to be Borderlands 2 + Halo gunplay and AI I will be a happy camper. If it throws in a PSU/WoW style "homeworld" where a game-level economy can take place with crafted rares and consumables on top of that then I think we'll be somewhere pretty cool.

BraXzy

How long before a game ships do we usually see a Bungie ViDoc arrive? I really want to just get a sense of the scale and the vision like people have been saying but the screenshots don't do that well enough.

God damn at the skyboxes in some of those shots. I tip my hat to the environment artist and co who made them.

In Bungie I trust.

Vooduu

It does look A LOT like Halo. And Mass Effect. But mostly Halo.

tumblr_mzetr9AtiH1r8tgs3o5_1280.jpg

Something about this image in particular just screams "Bungie" to me.
Halo: Reach is the closest Halo to Destiny (indeed, i think they tested concepts for Destiny in it) but still very different.
I'm excited about this game, but every time I look at this game's visuals, I think to myself "Reach 2."
Looks like Shadow Fall + Halo to me...
really love the art for this game
I really, REALLY like the art in this game.
These screenshots are not doing the game justice in my opinion. Looks so much better in motion from what I have seen.
The largely uninspired gun design is still disappointing to me

This one right here... You could tell me that's Reach multiplayer and I would believe you.

zlatko

Banned
I think this would be a prime time for Bungie to step in and just inform us all on WHAT this game is, when the beta is, and put out a ton of new gameplay vids/vidocs to build up a hype train. :/

I think that is a good summation of what this game is going to be at the end of the day.

I have absolutely no problems with this. Taking inspiration from two of my favorite new IPs last gen... Definitely my most hyped next gen game. I am glad its coming out in September because that gives me a lot of time to decide what else I might want to play on next gen systems and finally pull the trigger on a PS4 or XB1

yay for Post E3 release! My wallet is happy!

Kosma

Banned
My guess would be because it's coming to 360, PS3, XBone, and PS4. They probably feel like developing for PC (for launch) will stretch them too thin for relatively little gain since most current Bungie fans are console players anyways.

People hear FPS + RPG + Loot and automatically think Borderlands. If Bungie delivers on the various systems they've hinted at though, then people will see the difference.

Just seems so odd for a company like activision blizzard to pass on some bucks, i wonder if there is something behind it and there might not be a pc version.

Has there been any word on cross play? Even between ps3/4? Im guessing your characters are bound to an account not a console.

Cimeas

Banned
I can't believe the people who say that every sci-fi looking game looks "like Mass Effect". I just imagine how bloody annoying it would be to spend so long making a really cool sci-fi looking game universe only to be told "hey dude ur game rips of Mass Effect".

This is why we can't have nice things.

There's sort of unreal standard of expectations going on with this game. When's the last time you knew the exact in-game mechanics of a PvP or Co-op pairing on a game that's nine months from being released? Never?

Just seems so odd for a company like activision blizzard to pass on some bucks, i wonder if there is something behind it and there might not be a pc version.

Has there been any word on cross play? Even between ps3/4? Im guessing your characters are bound to an account not a console.

I look at it as they want people to buy it on consoles and will simply announce the PC version at a later date.

CalebW

Banned
So cant wait for this game!

Not sure why naysayers are hating it after seeing screenshots, Your not going to see the best of it until after E3.

I think the screenshots look great, Anything sci-fi related and RPG and im up for it.

I don't see hate. I see apprehension and some confusion about what Bungie is actually trying to deliver. I don't think it's out of bounds to ask: What is it?

Jarmel

Banned
I actually don't see much of a Mass Effect influence other than than the first screen shot. It looks straight out of Halo than anything else.

I reckon this game will have almost the same impact on me as the original halo did which was mind blowing.

Infact Destiny, The Evil Within and The Division are the only games im looking forward to atm.

Some really nice screens there, excellent atmosphere and knowing how deep the gameplay will be has me very excited. From my understanding the ps4 seems to be the lead platform has this been confirmed?

Salz01

My hype for this game looks like a bell curve. Initially I was like 'eh' at the announcement, then at e3 I was hyped, and now I'm just like 'eh' again.

I'd imagine we probably won't get another long gameplay segment until some sort of Playstation Meeting caliber event or E3. I just really really wanna see some first person competitive MP action!

sflufan

Banned
I can't believe the people who say that every sci-fi looking game looks "like Mass Effect". I just imagine how bloody annoying it would be to spend so long making a really cool sci-fi looking game universe only to be told "hey dude ur game rips of Mass Effect".

This is why we can't have nice things.

Except in this case, there are strong visual similarities to Mass Effect. I mean, some characters in one of these screenshots could pass for geth.

If a developer wants to avoid comparisons to other, well-established works, then they need to have a more distinct visual style for differentiation

Well it's better to polish up the versions they've committed to than to stretch themselves thin and possibly have bugs slip through the cracks.

As for Cross Gen, I don't think so. I recall hearing that MS says their two consoles can't communicate with each other like that? Even barring that, I don't think voice chat will work cross gen and voice comms would be pretty important in a game like this.

drexplora

the models look to be designed like ps3/360 gen character models.
Mostly look like a shell with all detail painted or stuck on that shell.
Rather than building the character with all clothes and accessories being a separate layer on top of the model of the characters body. Or at least making it seem that way.

Killzone on the PS4 is a great example of what I mean.

The environments sure do look vast and epic in scale and variety.
Being able to travel our solar system from top to bottom alone could be a great thing!

EL CUCO

I was never really into Halo. I played them but Master Chief's story never drew me in.

But Destiny...I like the concept a whole lot more. I know Bungie does great work. Jason Jones doesn't want to come up short with Halo 5 also lurking around the corner.

This is the only cross-gen game I've been willing to pre-order and cautiously excited for.

Acheteedo

Still haven't seen anything to show that this isn't just Borderlands with instanced multiplayer. I have faith that Bungie will deliver something special, but it's about time we saw that. Enough with the bullshots and self-fellating docu-trailers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't disagree with a lot of what is being said, but I think we'll have a very good idea post E3 what we are looking at.

I want information now as well (Halo has been my favorite franchise for 12+ years now), but I think we'll all have more than we want over the Summer. By September I'm sure we will have everything we need.

Bungie loves Vidocs. I'm expecting a ton.
I think we're going to an info dump right before the beta.

THEaaron

Please have a stable framerate please have a stable framerate please have a stable framerate.

Worst thing that happens every time to those games.

Please have a stable framerate.

Zabant

Something about this image in particular just screams "Bungie" to me.

My most anticipated game.
Can't fucking wait.

Edit: Heh, looks like multiple people have already beaten me.

Woorloog

Banned
If you actually play Halo, you'd realize that it is nothing like Halo.

Aside from perhaps the art style.
And powered armor.

Gameplay is definitively different. Halo: Reach is the closest Halo to Destiny (indeed, i think they tested concepts for Destiny in it) but still very different.

EL CUCO

Bungie just updated their blog

EDIT: Whoops date is 1/10/14. They just put it out on twitter thou...

“First!”

If you’re anxious to play Destiny, and we hope that you are, the second biggest event of the year (the first being the freaking launch of the game) will be the Destiny Beta. Ever since a scouting mission into our brave new world was announced, we’ve been in awe of the response. You have honored us with your urgency. Beyond our wildest expectations, hopeful Guardians have lined up to reserve their seats.

The chatter has been lively, and we’ve listened to as much of it as we could filter from the unyielding cacophony of the Internet. In following the conversation, more than a few themes have become unmistakable. As a New Year’s Resolution, we’re taking a moment to speak to as many of them as we can. Call us greedy, but we want all of you to help our game take its first steps.

More at the link: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11352

Mumford

I'm excited about this game, but every time I look at this game's visuals, I think to myself "Reach 2."
I'm not saying it'll play like Reach obviously or be anything even remotely similar to Reach- but it looks like the Reach engine was basically the foundation for this game. (Captain Obvious I know I know)
However, I will say, I thought Reach looked gorgeous on 360, & I certainly think this looks gorgeous. I'm excited to play it.

KoopaTheCasual

Nope. Destiny and Borderland have a different gameplay, of course, both are FPS with guns and powers (like a tons of other FPS!)
lol, I was just joking with the person I quoted, since he believes he has any understanding of what the game plays like, when no one does.

Abounder

Banned
In hindsight ...this should never have been cross-gen. Not only are software sales down for old consoles, but it limits the potential for Destiny

I was on the skeptical train but I like these screenshots. A more massive and customization HALO would be fun to play, but they need to communicate that more

Top Bottom