• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny on PS4: Weapons, vehicles, clans on PlayStation 4 [Youtube link inside]

Hurry up and tell me this is not coming to pc so i can get a ps4 already. jeesh.

if rockstar wasn't so antsy about red dead maybe maybe not coming to pc, i'd have gotten a current gen console ages ago.

all this playstation exlcusive and no love for their previous fanbase/supporters stuff i guess it could be seen as reaching out because they know they have the xbox players already but they haven't even talked about the xbox one and destiny to my knowledge

Couldn't it be an Activision decision? Sort of how MS gets CoD bonuses (early content). Maybe Sony struck a deal with Activision.

Seems more likely than a dev decision.

Even so, I'd put myself in the group of a "previous fan/supporter" that you're referring to and I'm getting a PS4 before I get an Xbox One (and will be playing Destiny on the PS4). I'm a Bungie fan, not a MS one.

Derrick01

Banned
You say 'yet another', and while it's true there are co-op games on consoles, this looks like it's going to have orders more content than anything else. Personally, I'm not expecting Halo 3 level of crafted encounters, because I'm expecting massively more content, which for me might actually be more exciting. It has to be a lot better than Borderlands though.

Bungie are still the only people who've made any 'great' FPS campaigns on consoles to me, so I shall give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the quality of individual levels/encounters in Destiny.

You're right that co-op is used as something of a get out of jail free card when it comes to quality, but I also think it's true that games are much more fun in co-op.

Yeah it will have a lot more content but I expect it to be like an MMO or Borderlands (which was designed like a single player MMO)...tons of trash fetch quests and junk loot that will be good only for vendoring.

Games like this use co-op or playing with a large group of people as an excuse to have lazy design. "Games are more fun in co-op" is only true because you enjoy the company of your friends, not because the game is better. The majority of time the game parts are actually much worse than most single player games.

see5harp

Everyone is bringing up obvious comparisons like Borderlands but to me it doesn't look all that different from the tried and true formula of shooting that they seemed to perfect in Halo. This will be the first time that a Halo game has decent coop net code, which is exciting.

EDIT: and ODST Firefight was anything but lazy design. If the game is really an endless series of fetch quests I'd be worried, but based on Bungie's past, I think they do just fine making a challenging and varied coop game.

greatgeek

Banned
Disappointed that there won't be a space sim aspect, hoping though for some combat missions (kind of like SWTOR, but good).

UNCMark

Banned
Titanfall is the game I'm most looking forward to, but this is next. I can't wait for the co-op stuff. Just waiting for the beta to start now. Bungie on Playstation. Whoooot!

monome

goddamn.

two things :

1/ make the digital release available with the english dub in non english speaking countries too.

2/ give the option to turn off the lightbar.

Xater

goddamn.

two things :

1/ make the digital release available with the english dub in non english speaking countries too.

2/ give the option to turn off the lightbar.

I want number one also for the disc version. Dear god those German dubs of the Halo games were dreadful.

Customize, customize, customize. Really hope they have little back stories for everything and think the idea of a back story on weapons is really cool.

Trey

If they didn't put Xbox logos on the title card, you'd think this was a Sony exclusive. Sony not fucking around.

Looks great as usual. I wonder how how space travel will be though? Do we know how many planets you can visit? I just hope flying will be good. I want epic space battles.

And it does look a bit more like Borderlands this time around.

Grimløck;88166753 said:
what's the ETA on this?

Q2 2014

KoopaTheCasual

How come i don't like shooters but i am loving what i see from this game? :O

Same exact boat, my friend. But then again, that's just what Bungie does to me. Halo was easily one of my favorite IPs of current gen and I generally don't play FPS. I'm also loving the little moments of third person, when you throw your special attack, or pilot the little bike. Aghhh, so excited for this.

In light of the TitanFall news the selfish part of me kinda wishes that Destiny would be a Playstation console exclusive, anyways can't wait to play this!

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah it will have a lot more content but I expect it to be like an MMO or Borderlands (which was designed like a single player MMO)...tons of trash fetch quests and junk loot that will be good only for vendoring.

Games like this use co-op or playing with a large group of people as an excuse to have lazy design. "Games are more fun in co-op" is only true because you enjoy the company of your friends, not because the game is better. The majority of time the game parts are actually much worse than most single player games.
I think that can be true, but I don't think it's universally true. In fact, I think Halo 3 and Reach are the two best console FPS of the generation, and I think they're both at their best in two player legendary.

It's a question of taste, of course, but I don't think Bungie have a history of lazy design in relation to co-op.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wait a minute, i'm italian so it's a little hard to get all the talk in there; there is space exploration in Destiny?

Or my hears are cheating on me?

Heya Sorc3r3r. I have to say that's the best line I've heard in a long time. I'm not making fun of your English (which is excellent, by the way), but that wording works so incredibly well.

I'm going to adopt that phrase and use it often. Thanks! ;)

GECK

The control scheme plays out nothing like halo, you use all buttons on the controller to execute your abilities as well as just shooting.
Such as holding down the 2 shoulder buttons to charge up a warlock ability etc.

How is that nothing like Halo? Spartan laser says hi.

It also doesn't look as floaty , but that remains to be seen, the beta isn't too far off from what i can tell so we can get a look for ourselves.

Uh, the gamescom trailer looked plenty floaty. As far as I can tell, the multi-coop looks like Halo/Borderlands hybrid, but more serious with Bungie quality world building.

But this is Bungie. It will have competitive multiplayer and there is nothing stopping them in supporting smaller scale arena gameplay modes (like Halo MM); e.g. fire team A queues up for Destiny Ball and is matched with fire team B in a Guild Wars fashion, so it's seamless instead of lobby based. This would be doubly amazing since you would be able to do things while searching for match instead of sitting in a boring ass lobby for 2-5 min. I definitely see Bungie doing something like this in order to show 343 how it is actually done, not to mention, attracting the hardcore FPS along with the MMO casual crowd to their game which will translate to massive WoW-like sales.

Mr.Fresh

My most anticipated game ! I haven't looked forward to a game this much in a long long time. I will buy the season pass , Special edition, everything! Lol. It's good to finally have Bungie on playstation. I usually buy xbox consoles just to play Bungie games.

Milennia

How is that nothing like Halo? Spartan laser says hi.

Uh, the gamescom trailer looked plenty floaty. As far as I can tell, the multi-coop looks like Halo/Borderlands hybrid, but more serious with Bungie quality world building.

But this is Bungie. It will have competitive multiplayer and there is nothing stopping them in supporting smaller scale arena gameplay modes (like Halo MM); e.g. fire team A queues up for Destiny Ball and is matched with fire team B in a Guild Wars fashion, so it's seamless instead of lobby based. This would be doubly amazing since you would be able to do things while searching for match instead of sitting in a boring ass lobby for 2-5 min. I definitely see Bungie doing something like this in order to show 343 how it is actually done, not to mention, attracting the hardcore FPS along with the MMO casual crowd to their game which will translate to massive WoW-like sales.

1. You just compared a single weapon that requires you to press and hold the trigger and let go to an example of ONE ability... Lol, look at the controller layout of the game, if you follow this game in the slightest you can see its not halo.
Ffs in this very video they say you can carry multiple weapons including short range- medium- heavy all at once, each weapon with its own sci-fi characteristics and stats ( yes stats this isn't halo).

2. We can go back and forth on what you think is floaty and what isn't, but in no part of any gameplay of this game has a player jumped 10 feet into the air with 1 press of the A button for example.

Saying it will have competitive multiplayer JUST because its bungie makes 0 sense entirely... They have said in multiple interviews they want to move away from halo, just because this game has guns and aliens doesn't mean its halo. Competitive multiplayer with stat weapons doesn't work outside of grindy MMos because most of the user base doesn't want to take the time to grind out the best gear in pvp , in dedicated MMos they do it because its usually the only game they play.
WoW sales is just wishful thinking, i love everything they have put out when it comes tot his game, but nothing will touch WoW subscriber numbers...there are loads of shooter/casual MMos that have released in the past, hell firefly just went f2p.

Destiny has been confirmed to have Competitive PvP already. It's also been confirmed that PvE/Campaign gear crosses over to the Competitive PvP as well.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/02/destiny-your-questions-answered/

@LazySigh: Will there be PvP? (Source)

DeeJ: Yup! We’re already thumping each other’s skulls in studio-wide playtests, battling other Guardians for glory, bragging rights, and rewards. All the gear you earn in competitive multiplayer can be taken into other modes, too (and vice versa)!

Milennia

Destiny has been confirmed to have Competitive PvP already. It's also been confirmed that PvE/Campaign gear crosses over to the Competitive PvP as well.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/02/destiny-your-questions-answered/

Yeah you can use pvp gear in other games in pve as well, but its garbage.
Its always filled with a type of p2p mitigation stat and pvp altered stats.
The pve gear is always better than he pvp gear (unless you have absolutely awful pve gear and find it easier to get the pvp gear until you can grind out the pve gear).

If they make it all the same gear , it would mean you could take op weapons from pve and head into arena... Wow fixed this after so many years of pve laden characters in arena.

Everything on his game is as vague as your going to get, without any followup answer , so its one big wait and see. All we have now are educated guesses and assumptions.

Edit: i failed to say, it can work imo, they would need to balance the game a shit ton better than wow in terms of pve crossover with legendary/op weapons...such as nuking your stats when you get into the arena as a whole to put you on par with the other player in terms of ilvl.
Or even have separate stats for pvp on every weapon ( things wow never did, just examples of what they could do)

The pve gear is always better than he pvp gear (unless you have absolutely awful pve gear and find it easier to get the pvp gear until you can grind out the pve gear).

If they make it all the same gear , it would mean you could take op weapons from pve and head into arena... Wow fixed this after so many years of pve laden characters in arena.

Everything on his game is as vague as your going to get, without any followup answer , so its one big wait and see. All we have now are educated guesses and assumptions.

I'm very well versed in the various pvp systems in MMO's. I think it's premature to assume that the there would be a PvP Gear stat or that there would be a disparity between gear earned in one area of the game or the other. They haven't said a thing about either.

So it's best to just wait until more is revealed. Especially before comparing it to systems used in other games.

Milennia

I'm very well versed in the various pvp systems in MMO's. I think it's premature to assume that the there would be a PvP Gear stat or that there would be a disparity between gear earned in one area of the game or the other. They haven't said a thing about either.

So it's best to just wait until more is revealed. Especially before comparing it to systems used in other games.

As am i, i wont get into details on that end as i don't want to sound like an elitist or anything.

Im speaking from what most, decently placed MMos have done in terms of pvp, i have experienced many versions of MMo pvp and sat through many patches were they tried to switch it up. It always ended up the same way, major gear disparity all the way up until wow nuked pve gear in pvp with mop ( other games haven't taken that plunge just yet).

I agree we should wait and see, I'm just giving examples of how it could work and where other MMos have done it wrong.

Edit: sorry for grammatical errors , I'm on mobile and typing pretty quick, if you need me to explain something just ask.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The true testing point of these kind of games, particularly MMO types is when they show like 30 minutes to an hour of straight gameplay stream. Need that soon. Not just one specific dungeon with obvious planned moments.

GECK

1. You just compared a single weapon that requires you to press and hold the trigger and let go to an example of ONE ability... Lol, look at the controller layout of the game, if you follow this game in the slightest you can see its not halo.

If you even read my post in the slightest you would understand I never said it was exactly like Halo. But the similarities are there and that is undeniable considering this is the dev that birthed Halo and watched while MS milked them dry and took it away from them.

Ffs in this very video they say you can carry multiple weapons including short range- medium- heavy all at once, each weapon with its own sci-fi characteristics and stats ( yes stats this isn't halo).

Hey captain obvious, thanks for pointing out stats are in. Hence the Halo/Borderlands hybrid comparison I made.

2. We can go back and forth on what you think is floaty and what isn't, but in no part of any gameplay of this game has a player jumped 10 feet into the air with 1 press of the A button for example.

Except you would be wrong, no need to go back and forth. In the trailer the commentator makes multiple Halo-esque floaty jumps, for example.

Saying it will have competitive multiplayer JUST because its bungie makes 0 sense entirely...

How so? Bungie has already confirmed competitive multiplayer in multiple interviews. So your post makes zero sense.

They have said in multiple interviews they want to move away from halo, just because this game has guns and aliens doesn't mean its halo.

I never said it was going to be exactly Halo. Look at the enviroment, look at some of the armor. The style is very similar to Halo, just grittier and better IMO.

Competitive multiplayer with stat weapons doesn't work outside of grindy MMos because most of the user base doesn't want to take the time to grind out the best gear in pvp , in dedicated MMos they do it because its usually the only game they play.

Except Bungie has already confirmed competitive multiplayer. Try again.

You're thinking in black/white terms. Bungie seems to be taking the best parts of MMO gameplay and merging them with their own FPS experience.

WoW sales is just wishful thinking, i love everything they have put out when it comes tot his game, but nothing will touch WoW subscriber numbers...there are loads of shooter/casual MMos that have released in the past, hell firefly just went f2p.

First off, Destiny won't have subs but I can assure you the DLC will be flowing. But it can very well become the 'WoW' in the MMO fps console genre. There isn't much competition there and it really hasn't been done very well to accommodate the casual player.. Which is a similar scenario circa 2004 when Blizzard's WoW did what EQ/AC//DAOC failed at.

GECK

It's only garbage in bad games with bad devs balancing them.

Second, Bungie has confirmed in an interview that you can take your loot into other competitive game modes. Obviously we have to wait for more details but I don't see any reason why Bungie wouldn't support competitive, completely optional, arena style PvP considering no one has done that better on consoles than them.

Balance will always be a fickle issue regardless the game. People will always complain.

Amir0x

Banned
man every time I see this game I get more and more excited about it. Quite a turnaround from the initial reveal when I was just sort of 'meh' on it.

Milennia

If you even read my post in the slightest you would understand I never said it was exactly like Halo. But the similarities are there and that is undeniable considering this is the dev that birthed Halo and watched while MS milked them dry and took it away from them.

Hey captain obvious, thanks for pointing out stats are in. Hence the Halo/Borderlands hybrid comparison I made.

Except you would be wrong, no need to go back and forth. In the trailer the commentator makes multiple Halo-esque floaty jumps, for example.

How so? Bungie has already confirmed competitive multiplayer in multiple interviews. So your post makes zero sense.

I never said it was going to be exactly Halo. Look at the enviroment, look at some of the armor. The style is very similar to Halo, just grittier and better IMO.

Except Bungie has already confirmed competitive multiplayer. Try again.

You're thinking in black/white terms. Bungie seems to be taking the best parts of MMO gameplay and merging them with their own FPS experience.

First off, Destiny won't have subs but I can assure you the DLC will be flowing. But it can very well become the 'WoW' in the MMO fps console genre. There isn't much competition there and it really hasn't been done very well to accommodate the casual player.. Which is a similar scenario circa 2004 when Blizzard's WoW did what EQ/AC//DAOC failed at.

Ill respond in order ,

1. I responded to to your first statement, which is very clearly you saying "spartan laser says hi"

2. Your responding to a post of mine that states why you shouldn't compare the game to halo. Thanks for the snarky and unnecessary remark?
Your saying in a later response that your similarities with destiny and halo are in the atmosphere and armor etc, my posts describes why it shouldn't be compared from a gameplay standpoint.

3. If your going to give me an example, do it in the form of video, until then yes this will be a back and forth until im proven wrong, then i will be wrong. And i will admit it as i can care less for pointless debates especially if im wrong.

4. Ive missed the tweet that was posted above, so ill admit wrong on that one.

5. I agree in this sense.

6. Try again? Are you upset or something( not saying that to be a douche I'm generally curious )whats with all of the snarky unnecessary remarks....
This comment has nothing to do with if they announced it or not,,, it refers to it NOT working well.

7. I don't see why not either, as i don't think there are any other games in said genre lol.
As for having the same affect as wow in terms of other sub genres that have to do with destiny... I think sure why not. The best thing this can do is create a new genre of game and popularize it. As well as hopefully give big time ,dedicated MMos something to look at in terms of balance.

Im all up for that and think it sounds great.

Defiance is already a FPS/MMO hybrid on PC and Consoles. It has flaws but Destiny is not the first to do this. By all estimations though it'll be the best one out. The Division could be better at the shooter/mmo hybrid but that's 3PS so it's not necessarily straight up competition.

Milennia

It's only garbage in bad games with bad devs balancing them.

Second, Bungie has confirmed in an interview that you can take your loot into other competitive game modes. Obviously we have to wait for more details but I don't see any reason why Bungie wouldn't support competitive, completely optional, arena style PvP considering no one has done that better on consoles than them.

Balance will always be a fickle issue regardless the game. People will always complain.

Refer to my other post on the matter, the one made after the one you quoted.

But i will respond to "It's only garbage in bad games with bad devs balancing them".

Calling a game most MMos have copied overt he years garbage just seems like an unpopular opinion, even in terms oft he industry.

I understand you re not directing that at wow specifically , but in my last post i detail that wow has done it wrong and why, so they are now in that sub category you have placed them in.
Most certainly do things wrong, ive experienced a lot in terms of broken patches , bugged numbers etc. but since most games copy their overall formula ( most games not all) doesn't that make most MMos unbalanced in pvp as well? It does. So if nobody has done it right, thinking bungie will is wishful thinking as ive said.

Im not saying that as a bad thing, I'm still hopeful, im giving examples.

Milennia

Defiance is already a FPS/MMO hybrid on PC and Consoles. It has flaws but Destiny is not the first to do this. By all estimations though it'll be the best one out. The Division could be better at the shooter/mmo hybrid but that's 3PS so it's not necessarily straight up competition.

I thought defiance was third person mmo? All of what i have seen of the game has been third person.

Interesting. No barriers to grouping friends together who are a mix of the very experienced and brand new players, but no details on how that affects balance or encounters.

This is my number one question about Destiny. If I'm level 30 and my buddy just got the game and is level 1, what does this mean for us grouping up? Its seems like we can, but how does that work?

GECK

Ill respond in order ,

1. I responded to to your first statement, which is very clearly you saying "spartan laser says hi"

And your response made no sense.

2. Your responding to a post of mine that states why you shouldn't compare the game to halo. Thanks for the snarky and unnecessary remark?

You bring the fact that stats are in like I did not know. It does nothing to strengthen the position you were arguing from.

3. If your going to give me an example, do it in the form of video, until then yes this will be a back and forth until im proven wrong, then i will be wrong. And i will admit it as i can care less for pointless debates especially if im wrong.

The video already proves otherwise. The commentator makes a floaty jump and throws a magic bomb.

6. Try again? Are you upset or something( not saying that to be a douche I'm generally curious )whats with all of the snarky unnecessary remarks....
This comment has nothing to do with if they announced it or not,,, it refers to it NOT working well.

No not upset. Just pointing out that competitive multiplayer was confirmed. And even if it was not confirmed, this is the next Bungie FPS, of course it's going to have competitive multiplayer.

But really, I don't see how someone can view those Destiny videos and not see any similarity to Halo. Which is quite honestly a good thing. The CODification of the FPS console genre is a quite sad state of affairs.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I want this game already - space exploration? YES PLEASE.

Would be a miracle if there was cross platform play, but I'm sure that's a non-starter :/

I can't watch the video cause I'm at work, but are they saying that clan support and certain vehicles and weapons are exclusive to PS4?

Cause that seems pretty major...

Milennia

And your response made no sense.

You bring the fact that stats are in like I did not know. It does nothing to strengthen the position you were arguing from.

The video already proves otherwise. The commentator makes a floaty jump and throws a magic bomb.

No not upset. Just pointing out that competitive multiplayer was confirmed. And even if it was not confirmed, this is the next Bungie FPS, of course it's going to have competitive multiplayer.

But really, I don't see how someone can view those Destiny videos and not see any similarity to Halo. Which is quite honestly a good thing. The CODification of the FPS console genre is a quite sad state of affairs.

Im on mobile so i have to respond in an unquoted order again sorry about that,

1. I recently edited the post , but it seems you posted right after i edited -.- apologies about that, hopefully the edit will come off as more clear in my intentions.

2. I honestly am not seeing the jump you are speaking of, can you please give me a time stamp, i cant rewatch it over and over again as I'm not at home.

3. I agree its a good thing, what i was saying was i don't see similarities in the gameplay :p not the atmosphere i agree wholeheartedly on that front, i love halo and its lore.

As for the obviously going to have competitive multiplayer thing, ill stick to what i said earlier in terms of them wanting to move away from halo, so i could only assume at that point that also meant its arena multiplayer, but alas, it is in and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Judging from their track record, i don't have much to worry about in terms of gunplay.

Top Bottom